• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2021 Game Developer Awards - Hades beats TLOU2

Fredrik

no there is a dodge button.
it plays like dark souls. dodge attack rolll dive forwards backward.

lets put simple
not one single game out there plays like the last of us 2.
the gameplay is that good.
also the ai is amazing there is that as well

i hope these put this nonsense to rest

No more gifs is needed, I looked up the controls and an interview and they say both the melee and dodge is contextual. Same as TLOU and Uncharted but more advanced.
Contextual actions are the opposite of having full distinct control of all your actions. It’s literally a bit of code that checks what’s nearby when you press a button and then choose a fitting move afterwards.

Guilty_AI

For me best narrative was 13 Sentinels but I guess that game is too “niche” for judges to play.
tenor.gif

Yoboman

No more gifs is needed, I looked up the controls and an interview and they say both the melee and dodge is contextual. Same as TLOU and Uncharted but more advanced.
Contextual actions are the opposite of having full distinct control of all your actions. It’s literally a bit of code that checks what’s nearby when you press a button and then choose a fitting move afterwards.
Its only contextual in that it pulls from a pool of similar animations that varies the way the action animates based on the current animation frame. So if you cancel a knife attack into a dodge mid frame it will animate seamlessly. Or if you are hit into a wall or hit an enemy into a wall the animations will adapt to that

None of that changes having distinct control over the action. Dodging right may look different one moment to the next but provides the exact same level of control

You should probably play the games you talk about. Just a thought

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

- Pressing the melee button once performs a basic attack.
- Pressing the melee button multiple times performs a combo.
- Facing a wall and holding a directional pad to a near by object can perform melee attacks\finishers against it.
- If you run while performing a melee attack, you will perform a heavy attack. You can make this easier by pressing the dodge button and - then the melee attack. Abby can perform this easier while she's using her "Momentum" skill.
- Ellie can perform aerial takedowns.
- You can stun your enemies with bottles, bricks or shooting them in the leg.

There's a lot of control of what you have in combat. If you're playing on a harder difficulty, then there are some things you should do to conserve ammo.

Fredrik

Its only contextual in that it pulls from a pool of similar animations that varies the way the action animates based on the current animation frame. So if you cancel a knife attack into a dodge mid frame it will animate seamlessly. Or if you are hit into a wall or hit an enemy into a wall the animations will adapt to that

None of that changes having distinct control over the action. Dodging right may look different one moment to the next but provides the exact same level of control

You should probably play the games you talk about. Just a thought
Can’t play the game so I’m going by what the devs are saying instead, seems fair.

This sounds like what you’re saying:
”In other games, when you dodge in different directions, maybe there are four different directions you can dodge in, four different animations. In The Last of Us Part II, it’s contextual to the direction that the enemy attacks from and the direction you move to. If an attack is coming vertically and you’re going to the left, it’ll play an animation where she leans to the left, just missing the attack that’s coming. If it’s a horizontal attack, she’ll duck to the right. There’s this pool of dodge animations.”

And this sounds like a contextual move that will only happen in this specific scenario when there is a car there and not a wall or a tree or a bunch of enemies etc:
“We have a button dedicated to dodge, which was shown off in the two-vs-one [in the trailer] – an attack comes in and she dodges into the car”
“It’s a contextual dodge.”

I’m not saying it doesn’t work or isn’t gloriously fun, I like their games, it just doesn’t sound like you have 100% control of what will happen when you press the button. You know she’ll do some kind of dodge but you don’t know if she’ll be inside a car or standing still ducking after you’ve pressed the button.

Yoboman

Can’t play the game so I’m going by what the devs are saying instead, seems fair.

This sounds like what you’re saying:

And this sounds like a contextual move that will only happen in this specific scenario when there is a car there and not a wall or a tree or a bunch of enemies etc:

I’m not saying it doesn’t work or isn’t gloriously fun, I like their games, it just doesn’t sound like you have 100% control of what will happen when you press the button. You know she’ll do some kind of dodge but you don’t know if she’ll be inside a car or standing still ducking after you’ve pressed the button.
I think it works the opposite of what you are assuming. A lot of contextual actions lock you into an animation set and maybe you didn't want to do that. Like something like RDR2 has a lot of this

But TLOU2 is more about responsiveness first in the melee, and the contextual part of it is being able to engage those animations no matter the situation. So in an action game I can cancel one animation to another and it will basically snap to the new animation. But that can look choppy. Or the animation has to play out and you get stuck in that choice.

In TLOU2 I can be mid knife swing and cancel to a dodge and it will accurately animate with motion matching from the position of the current action. So it actually makes thing more responsive to what I want the character to do in any given situation. You add that dodging and melee in with gun combat, sneaking, prone, grabbing and tools all of which can be seamlessly blended and it makes for a comprehensive gameplay experience

Fredrik

I think it works the opposite of what you are assuming. A lot of contextual actions lock you into an animation set and maybe you didn't want to do that. Like something like RDR2 has a lot of this

But TLOU2 is more about responsiveness first in the melee, and the contextual part of it is being able to engage those animations no matter the situation. So in an action game I can cancel one animation to another and it will basically snap to the new animation. But that can look choppy. Or the animation has to play out and you get stuck in that choice.

In TLOU2 I can be mid knife swing and cancel to a dodge and it will accurately animate with motion matching from the position of the current action. So it actually makes thing more responsive to what I want the character to do in any given situation. You add that dodging and melee in with gun combat, sneaking, prone, grabbing and tools all of which can be seamlessly blended and it makes for a comprehensive gameplay experience
Sounds cool, didn’t know you could cancel everything 👍
The violence is too much though, it’s just not where I want gaming to go, otherwise I would’ve tried it. Maybe they make a Jak game next and use the same animation system.

SLB1904

Banned
for fuck sake

Majukun

Deserved. Never been a fan of the story driven naughty dog kind of games, hades is great though, too bad I kinda ruined it for me by playing it since early access meaning that when we got the complete game I already had played it way too much to enjoy it fully

Umbral

I haven’t played Hades but it looks like schlick-bait/fap-bait.

Don’t worry, I’m not gonna rub it in.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
GDC was delayed this year due to covid. These awards are typically handed out in early March.

• Best Audio: Hades (Supergiant Games)
  • Best Debut: Phasmophobia (Kinetic Games)
  • Best Design: Hades (Supergiant Games)
  • Best Mobile Game: Genshin Impact (miHoYo)
  • Innovation Award: Dreams (Media Molecule / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Best Narrative: The Last of Us Part II (Naughty Dog / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Best Technology: Microsoft Flight Simulator (Asobo Studio / Xbox Game Studios)
  • Best Visual Art: Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch Productions / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Best VR/AR Game: Half-Life: Alyx (Valve)
  • Audience Award: Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch Productions / Sony Interactive Entertainment)
  • Game of the Year: Hades (Supergiant Games)
  • Pioneer Award: Tom Fulp (creator of Newgrounds)
  • Lifetime Achievement Award: Laralyn McWilliams (28 year industry veteran, creative director of MMO Free Realms)
Curious to see the industry pick Hades over TLOU2 (D.I.C.E awards also chose Hades). Critics and fans picked TLOU2 almost unanimously.

From game of the year tracker:
  • The Last of Us Part II- 305
    • Media Outlets: 197 | Readers' Choice: 108
  • Ghost of Tsushima - 65
    • Media Outlets: 54 | Readers' Choice: 11
  • Hades - 64
    • Media Outlets: 60 | Readers' Choice: 4
I wonder if Naughty Dog will look at this reception from their peers and make some changes. They did win Best Narrative so clearly the devs dont think the story was the problem.

P.S Great to see Flight Sim win best tech. Easily the most technically advanced game ever made. I have no idea why gaf is so dismissive of this game's tech features.

Source: https://www.ign.com/articles/hades-game-of-the-year-2021-game-developers-choice-awards

What's next? Mario Kart better than Gran Turismo 7?

Shubh_C63

Hades was probably the only game I couldn't found a single flaw. Wouldn't change a single goddamn thing in that game. Everything was on point

Top Bottom