• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2020 Album of the Year

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
U7CJL3u.png

What an incredible year for music. I don't remember a year that has had this many solid albums. The timing could not have been more perfect. In these quarantine times, there's no better escape from the drudgery of WFH or for those on the front-line as essential workers.

All that aside, each album in my top 10 list is a great listen from start to finish. I can whole-heartedly say that I love each and every album on the list. There were so many that I included a spillover list to help capture each album that grabbed my attention throughout the year.
My #1 is especially notable to me given it is the first album Pinegrove has written/created since their self-imposed hiatus after frontman Evan Stephens Hall was #metoo'd. The claims were somewhat baffling and nonsensical, though Hall admits to "sexual coercion" (more info here, if you're interested; TL;DR it's bs). While Hall says the album is not about the events/fallout of the #metoo accusation, it's quite clear from the album's opening lyrics, there is clearly something for the listener to digest (Ignore the wreckage on the shoulder). While perhaps not explicitly about the events, clearly Hall has reflected while in his self-imposed hiatus. While a bit more typically emo than I enjoy, the context of the album transcends it perfection. The music & lyrics may be sombre but it's incredibly catchy. Definitely worth a listen.

My personal Top 10 list:
10. Khruangbin - Mordechai
9. Grimes - Miss Anthropocene
8. Sufjan Stevens - The Ascension
7. King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - K.G.
6. Nathaniel Rateliff - And It’s Still All Right
5. The Flaming Lips - American Head
4. The Beths - Jump Rope Grazers
3. Run The Jewels - RTJ4
2. Waxahatchee - Saint Cloud
1. Pinegrove - Marigold
Pinegrove-Marigold-Hi-Res-1-300x300.jpg

Honorable mentions (In no order):
Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher
Deftones - Ohms
Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit - Reunions
Mad Caddies - House on Fire EP
Andy Shauf - The Neon Skyline
Tame Impala - The Slow Rush
Tennis - Swimmer
Qjo6I7A.png

Cravis Cravis AC/DC - Power Up
SafeOrAlone SafeOrAlone 2-way tie (Phoebe Bridgers, The Strokes)
A Alter_Fridge Dua Lipa - Future Nostalgia
e0n e0n Helena Deland - Someone New
Lionel Richie Lionel Richie The Microphones - The Microphones in 2020
R Rock And Roll 3-way tie (RTJ, Kesha, Dua Lipa)
T8SC T8SC Scooter - God Save the Rave (Technically it looks like a 2021 release :messenger_medmask:)
IfuckinghateReddit IfuckinghateReddit Frank Zappa & The Mothers - The Mothers 1970 (Compilation of previously unreleased material)
teezzy teezzy Deftones - Ohms
belmarduk belmarduk Will Atkinson - Last King of Scotland
E Explosive Zombie - Esoctrilihum - Eternity of Shaog
kyussman kyussman Clutch - Weathermaker Vault Series Vol. 1
Pol Pot Pol Pot Fiona Apple - Fetch the Bolt Cutters
T TheHighFlyingBirds Gerry Cinnamon - The Bonny
MrS MrS 5-way tie (King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard [Chunky Shrapnel], Abel, Due Lipa, Robin Pecknold, Father John Misty )
No Longer Human No Longer Human Fleet Foxes - Shore
Paasei Paasei 3-way tie (Marilyn Manson, Deftones, Polaris)
bitbydeath bitbydeath Eminem - Music to be Murdered By
Werewolf Jones Werewolf Jones 3-way tie (Merzbow, Boris, and RTJ)
lunnuyu lunnuyu (INNA, Max Barskih)
Bridges Bridges The Strokes - The New Abnormal
The Bloody-Nine The Bloody-Nine Benediction - Scriptures
tommib tommib Autechre - Sign
Party McHardy Party McHardy 2-way tie (Chris Stapleton, Twiztid)
TrainedRage TrainedRage Clown Core - Van
J jezhumphrey75 2-way tie (Eminem, and Benny the Butcher)
Tesseract Tesseract Clown Core - Van
ArtemisClydeFrog ArtemisClydeFrog 3-way tie (Kid Cudi, Bronson, Glass Animals)
diffusionx diffusionx Pallbearer - Forgotten Days
NinjaBoiX NinjaBoiX Hayley Williams - Petals for Armor
Jethalal Jethalal The Weeknd - After Hours

mP3P4wA.png

Worst Album Covers of the Year, provided by Exclaim.ca:
1_wac.jpg

#2 is probably the better choice, imo
2_wac.jpg

Earlyworm's Top EPs of 2020

Pitchfork's best songs of the year

Twerking.gif

What about you? What's your #1 album this year and why is it T. Swiftles?

*The views expressed in this thread are those of the individual posters. EviLore and Neogaf Inc. do not condone the choices reflected in this thread, unless otherwise stated by the big cheese himself.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

e0n

My tentative top 5:

Slow Pulp - Moveys
Helena Deland - Someone New
Run the Jewels - RTJ4
Peel Dream Magazine - Agitprop Alterna
Fleet Foxes - Shore

Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage , put me down for Someone New.

Last edited:

My girlfriend is a theater actress, and I so I learned a lot from her about overall performance and the expression of art in an academic way. I don't say that to say THIS IS THE RIGHT CHOICE, I say that to put some emphasis on how much this album absolutely nails its concept, how it pushes the medium forward in a very idiosyncratic way and how it's the perfect marriage of conception and execution. It sets out to do one thing and it does that thing beautifully. It will probably get memed to death because we live in the worst generation to every inhabit this earth, but this album is a masterpiece. It's transgressive, it's accessive, it's aimed at old fans while probably picking up new fans by being something so completely unique. 10/10.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

My girlfriend is a theater actress, and I so I learned a lot from her about overall performance and the expression of art in an academic way. I don't say that to say THIS IS THE RIGHT CHOICE, I say that to put some emphasis on how much this album absolutely nails its concept, how it pushes the medium forward in a very idiosyncratic way and how it's the perfect marriage of conception and execution. It sets out to do one thing and it does that thing beautifully. It will probably get memed to death because we live in the worst generation to every inhabit this earth, but this album is a masterpiece. It's transgressive, it's accessive, it's aimed at old fans while probably picking up new fans by being something so completely unique. 10/10.

Not familiar with the band but I’ll give it a listen

I'm not hip anymore and barely listen to new music but the three new albums I enjoyed a lot this year were

RTJ4 - Run The Jewels (probably their best work)

High Road - Kesha (still the most deceptively versatile songwriter in pop)

Future Nostalgia - Dua Lipa (great songs + production all around)

I'm struggling to think of any rock records I listened to this year that I really dug but then again I didn't search much stuff out.

teezzy

Banned
I'm not hip anymore and barely listen to new music

I've slowly but surely come to realize that most of my favorite albums are at least 20 years old now. I'm not even 30 yet.

I peaked when I was 9 apparently.

A lot of new stuff just sounds so disposable and without staying power. Can't even vibe with it. Sounds like robot music.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I've slowly but surely come to realize that most of my favorite albums are at least 20 years old now. I'm not even 30 yet.

I peaked when I was 9 apparently.

A lot of new stuff just sounds so disposable and without staying power. Can't even vibe with it. Sounds like robot music.

I go through phases with music. One phase I will only want to listen to old shit, another nothing but new. I tend toward the latter when I have a sudden shift or focus on a genre I don't usually listen to, or if a band I love puts out a killer record.

If you're okay with something a bit different, check out a band like Mad Caddies. They have mainstream appeal but never broke into the mainstream. They have a lot of just outright fun songs in their catalog. Here's an example:

There's a ton of great shit out there. Sadly, there's also just a lot of shit.

teezzy

Banned
Okay Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage ... check and mate, breh. I've been listening to A LOT lately. I asked for recommendations in a few Discords I'm in. Threw a bunch aside after not digging 'em too much, and here's what I'm going with. I even put 'em in some kind of order...

I'm burnt out on music. But these were my fiv....six favorites. Deftones still reigns supreme with Miley surprisingly being my second favorite.

This was actually a lot of fun. Life was so crazy this year. I think I should pay more attention to music. Lots of synth pop seems to be coming back -weird.

But yeah here's my super hipster list. I'd make Punished Miku Punished Miku proud.

Deftones - Ohms

ohms_deftones.jpg

Miley Cyrus - Plastic Hearts

miley-plastic-hearts.jpeg

Afsky - Ofte jeg drommer mig dod (Often I Dream I'm Dead)

0019986106_10.jpg

Gum Country - Somewhere

a3507170116_10.jpg

Choir Boy - Gathering Swans

choir-boy-gathering-swans.jpg

Soft Kill - Dead Kids R.I.P. City

a2230106864_10.jpg

I couldn't find the 2020 Death Metal list E Explosive Zombie made. Forgot where he posted it. Either way, I love these so much... I'd be shocked to see any of 'em get supplanted.

Kids these days... I don't think they have as bad of taste as we think they do. A lot of this stuff is 80s af.

belmarduk

Any EDM fans here? Trance specifically?

My vote goes to Will Atkinson for Last King of Scotland.

This is my favorite song at the moment, but the entire album is great.

teezzy teezzy it's legit upthread, bro, lol... fine I'll do this...

1. Esoctrilihum - Eternity of Shaog

lPcAquG.jpg

2. Of Feather and Bone - Sulfuric Disintegration

SgcmzTU.jpg

3. Necrot - Mortal

zUHKYIb.jpg

4. Anaal Nathrakh - Endarkenment

okitWXY.jpg

5. Spectral Lore & Mare Cognitum - Wanderers: Astrology of the Nine

Y1r5ops.jpg

6. Bedsore - Hypnagogic Hallucinations

Yjbm9hu.jpg

7. Cryptic Shift - Visitations from Enceladus

AzRyXD5.jpg

8. Imperial Triumphant - Alphaville

n8N3fsx.jpg

9. Kommodus - Kommodus

n9Uj6oP.jpg

10. Ulcerate - Stare Into Death and Be Still

4AShy1x.png

Not all Death Metal, though, most this list is, however...

kyussman

Any year the mighty Clutch release a record it by default becomes the album of the year....any music fan should know this by now.
Granted the one they just released is re-recordings and cover versions.....but still,it's better than 99% of the garbage that passes for music these days....it's also got Spacegrass on it....so,yea.

teezzy

Banned
E Explosive Zombie

Lmaooooo whoops. I was looking through the metal thread, listening thread, and meta gaf. 😂

But dude! Eternity of Shaog was actually one I'd forgotten to include in my post. Didnt realize it was death metal, I actually was like "oh man why doesnt more black metal use gutturals, this is tight!!" 😂😂

I'm not hip to subgenres distinctions ultimately I guess, but that album was a bit of a genre bender. Found it on Spotify

1. Fleet Foxes - Shore

They lost me a bit with Crack-Up, which was a bit meandering and pointless I thought, but this is just incredible. Not even a weakish song on here.

2. Haim - Women in Music III

Another return to form, last album was eh but this one is awesome. You can hear all the clear influences but they've distilled them into something they can call their own. Will also marry Danielle.

3. Sufjan Stevens - The The Ascension
4. Laura Marling - Song for Our Daughter
5. Treasury of Puppies - Treasury of Puppies

LOOK AT THIS COVER

a3072302499_5.jpg

Paasei

Marilyn Manson - We Are Chaos
Deftones - Ohms
Polaris - The Death of Me

The best #3 albums I have listened to so far this year. There are some I still need to go through.
The Anaal Nathrakh and Vader albums are still on the list I have to listen to.

T8SC

I didn't post the reasons why God Save The Rave is album of the year, so here you go, thank me later.

Stuck on the wrong channel, like chained to a dead camel.

teezzy

Banned
When I heard her cover Say Hello To Heaven at the Cornell tribute I had to rethink some shit.
Haven't heard this new one, but Miley might be legit.

It's a love letter to music. There's lots of new pop albums people are stanning rn, and I'm not really into the whole scene, but this is one that sounds like actual music and not for like teenage transgendered space aliens.

The Billy Idol, Joan Jett, and Stevie Nicks cameos certainly don't hurt either.

Her interview on Rogan cemented her as a 'real one' imho

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
Is that when she did Doll Parts?

I'm going to have to check this new one out.

It's definitely a Miley Cyrus album so go into it recognizing that much, but it's a record with balls. Mark my goddamn words. Miley is alpha chad :messenger_grinning_sweat: :messenger_ok:

She's on another tip lately.

GettyImages-1209519729.jpg

Top Bottom