• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2018 NFL Conference Championships - Defense is Dead

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Thinking about this today and an old thought came to mind - what if for the playoffs Overtime was just another quarter? Play another 15 minutes and whoever is ahead at the end wins? It would eliminate the "whoever wins the toss wins the game" effect, and it'd be more like traditional football where you play until the clock runs out.

Sudden death maybe made more sense when points were a lot harder to come by, but in today's NFL you've got to give both offenses a shot. I feel like our current OT rules are a stopgap measure.
I agree.

Basketball is 5 minutes. Baseball is a full inning. Hockey is 5 minutes (though first team to score wins).

Football is so heavily dependent on possession to score (aside from the occasional interception or fumble td return), each side should be given a full chance or play a time limit. 15 seems long. Maybe 10 tops.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What a bunch of shit. Hey sorry that you aren’t going to the SB after we fucked up, our bad.
Ya.

Funny how players and coaches get reprimanded all the time for doing stupid shit.... penalties, fouls, suspensions, fines etc.....

Yet when refs do some blantantly lousy calls, nobody seems allowed to criticize them or else they get more fines.

Call a spade a spade. You fuck up badly, every coach and player should have every right to call those refs out. Instead they go into hiding and the ref union protects their asses like gold. Cowards.

Last edited:
Laser pointers are still a thing?

I remember they were popular as a kid because people would bring them in movie theaters and fuck around on the screen

Also, is it laser or lazer?

Last edited:
I like the idea of a full quarter if tied, and I guess another full quarter if tied again? At least for playoffs. I get they don't want to play that much extra fooseball in the regular season. but that seems most in line with normal rules.

I kinda wish it was Chiefs/Rams, but getting to revel in my friends misery is kinda worth it.

greyshark

I think the thread title should be changed. The Rams defense is top 5 imo with Talib back.

I’ll give the Rams defense credit for hanging tough against the Saints, but to call them a top 5 defense is a stretch IMO. They may have a lot of big names on their roster but their run defense struggled this season.

greyshark

I like the idea of a full quarter if tied, and I guess another full quarter if tied again? At least for playoffs. I get they don't want to play that much extra fooseball in the regular season. but that seems most in line with normal rules.

I kinda wish it was Chiefs/Rams, but getting to revel in my friends misery is kinda worth it.

Maybe make the second quarter of OT sudden death at that point if you wanted to limit playtime? Since OT is played like a new game, the sixth quarter wouldn’t have a coin toss, it would just continue where they left off.

Well, at the very least there will be some heated discussions in the off-season regarding rules. And personally, I'm in favor of all plays being reviewable, as long as there aren't infinite challenges available. The point is to get it right, dammit.

Regarding overtime, I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be sudden death at the beginning. One possession each at least, then sudden death works for me--I forget whether that's the college OT rules, haven't watched CFB in a while.

Rbk_3

I’ll give the Rams defense credit for hanging tough against the Saints, but to call them a top 5 defense is a stretch IMO. They may have a lot of big names on their roster but their run defense struggled this season.

We held Zeek to 47 yards on 2.3 yards per carry, and the Saints to 48 total yards on 2.3 yards per carry.

We may have struggled a little in the regular season, but we are not struggling when it matters.

Looks like we all know which team the refs were betting on.

If that was the case, they would of surely called this the drive before setting us up 1st and goal at the 1 with 5 minutes left. It was just a bad call and they were scared to make a game ending call.

Last edited:
Well, at the very least there will be some heated discussions in the off-season regarding rules. And personally, I'm in favor of all plays being reviewable, as long as there aren't infinite challenges available. The point is to get it right, dammit.

Regarding overtime, I'm of the opinion that it shouldn't be sudden death at the beginning. One possession each at least, then sudden death works for me--I forget whether that's the college OT rules, haven't watched CFB in a while.

I’m already hearing a lot of “old timers” float around the same “human error is part of the game” lines. They also love to say “if we expand replay the game will take 17 hours.”

I don’t agree. No one is saying give teams unlimited challenges. Just expand what type of plays can be challenged, or reviewed under two minutes. Get it right.

What happened to the Saints shouldn’t happen.

greyshark

I’m already hearing a lot of “old timers” float around the same “human error is part of the game” lines. They also love to say “if we expand replay the game will take 17 hours.”

I don’t agree. No one is saying give teams unlimited challenges. Just expand what type of plays can be challenged, or reviewed under two minutes. Get it right.

What happened to the Saints shouldn’t happen.

I’m all for helping ensure the right calls get made, but I can’t figure it how to add judgement calls to replay. Something happening in slow motion looks quite different than when it happens in real time - how do you write a rule with clearly defined parameters on something that’s inherently subjective?

Top Bottom