• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Movie Preview - what are you most anticipating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

overcast

Django and Rises are my two most hyped films. Gravity, The Master, and Skyfall are all up there too. As is the new Gosling/Refn movie, though I'm not sold on Refn completely.

apana

It was never, ever on the list in a million years.

The Dark Knight wasn't even the film of its year.

You have to consider more than just what the critics will think. Sometimes a movie is loved by critics but it doesn't reach the masses, other times a movie is loved by the masses but doesn't have much substance. The Batman series has combined substance with entertainment. I swear if Batman dies in this third film there will be tears flowing all across America.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
No need to make this yet another all-encompassing megathread, btw. The less we have of those the better, even though you've done a good job here.

It was, but whatever you say Expendable. (maybe Wall-E, In Bruges was great too).

Yes, Wall-E and In Bruges. But Let The Right One In for me was #1. Also thought the following were better: 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, Hunger, Man on Wire, The Fall, Synecdoche, New York. I still really dug The Dark Knight.

No need to make this yet another all-encompassing megathread, btw. The less we have of those the better, even though you've done a good job here.

Ah, just adding useful links. Will still make separate threads for film festivals, major films, etc. But for films that might not deserve one, this could be a good place or the Movies Seen Recently.

Robot 492

Banned
Wendy and Lucy was the best film of that year for me.

Edit: The new Malick film is my most anticipated for next year. Isn't he working on two projects currently? I hope he starts getting them out at a quicker rate now, for it's torture waiting so many years for new films from him. I am also looking foward to Cloud Atlas because Speed Racer was fucking great and I am curious to see how the Wachowskis follow that up. Beyond that, I'm excited for the new PTA, Wes Anderson and Coen bros. films, as I think those guys are among the best working American directors today and I love all of their work. Everything else is too far away for me to care about right now. Looks like we're in for a great year, though.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Ah, just adding useful links. Will still make separate threads for film festivals, major films, etc. But for films that might not deserve one, this could be a good place or the Movies Seen Recently.

That's how it always starts ;b

"WE HAVE A THREAD FOR [(POLITICS; RELIGION; MOVIES; BOOKS; ANIME)] ALREADY!"

I still have no idea whether I liked Wall-E more than TDK. I do know that In Bruges was a bit much for me, though. Great film, but bit too dark for my tastes.

overcast

Yes, Wall-E and In Bruges. But Let The Right One In for me was #1. Also thought the following were better: 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days, Hunger, Man on Wire, The Fall, Synecdoche, New York. I still really dug The Dark Knight.
I haven't seen Let The Right One In. I own it though... I didn't like Hunger that much, a bit disappointing imo.

Blader

Edit: The new Malick film is my most anticipated for next year. Isn't he working on two projects currently?

Four, technically. He's editing The Burial, shooting Lawless and Knight of Cups next year, and is at some unknown stage of production with Voyage of Time.

duckroll

Four, technically. He's editing The Burial, shooting Lawless and Knight of Cups next year, and is at some unknown stage of production with Voyage of Time.

I refuse to believe this. He's just going to end up taking 4 times as long on all those stuff and never releasing any of them this decade. :p

Raxus

Yes, this just missed the top 50! I just wasn't hot on that trailer. Although, I'm more excited for other animations like ParaNorman and Wreck-It Ralph. Even Pirates! A Band of Misfits.

Yeah it is a great year for animation. I expect 3 out of the 4 will make my top 10 list by the end of the year.

Nice list, I will look into some of the movies you mentioned.

Cloud Atlas is this year? Niiiice. Excited for that, as well as TDKR, Hobbit, Prometheus, Skyfall. Also looking forward to The Raid, don't think it was on the list, but it should be!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlmhMSnVdM

Only movie I'm REALLY anticipating is Tom Yum Goong 2. Such a top tier cast:

tom-yum-goong-protector-2-cast.jpg

ohhh shit, coming out this year?? Day 1 O_O

vulva

so excited for The Grandmasters. Wong Kar Wai is my favourite director and it'll be interesting to see him do another attempt at martial arts (after how disjointed ashes of time was). I'm very hopeful, though.

Polari

Prometheus and Cosmopolis should be good too. I would be excited for Gravity if George Clooney hadn't been cast, but him and Brad Pitt need to die in a fire so they stop ruining otherwise good films.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Prometheus and Cosmopolis should be good too. I would be excited for Gravity if George Clooney hadn't been cast, but him and Brad Pitt need to die in a fire so they stop ruining otherwise good films.
George clooney ruins a movie for you more than sarah bullock?

Ya the ranking makes no sense, the Hobbit at 33, wow, just wow, but he covered everything.
My personal list:

1.)The Dark knight rises
2.)The Hobbit
3.)Prometheus
4.)Star wars 3D ( be gentle with me)
5.)That Wes Anderson movie.

BTW.

Refn's new film higher than Spielberg's long-gestating Lincoln film that reunites him with Munich writer Tony Kushner and stars DDL?

SMH.

Solo

One day you will come to realize Sculli that you are in the minority with respect to how you feel about Munich. It's a fine film, but you are very much on your own island when describing it as a masterpiece and one of Spielberg's very best.

Blader

One day you will come to realize Sculli that you are in the minority with respect to how you feel about Munich. It's a fine film, but you are very much on your own island when describing it as a masterpiece and one of Spielberg's very best.

It's about the only thing I do agree with Sculli on.

Cloud Atlas is this year? Niiiice. Excited for that, as well as TDKR, Hobbit, Prometheus, Skyfall. Also looking forward to The Raid, don't think it was on the list, but it should be!!

It is on there!

Nothing worked perfectly about Greenberg, that film sucked balls. New Todd Solondz is always a good thing.

Agree to disagree, loved Greenberg.

Ya the ranking makes no sense, the Hobbit at 33, wow, just wow, but he covered everything.

Not that excited for The Hobbit. Seems like a retread of LOTR.

BTW.

Refn's new film higher than Spielberg's long-gestating Lincoln film that reunites him with Munich writer Tony Kushner and stars DDL?

SMH.

Well, Drive was better than the last few Spielberg films so there is a good reason for that. If you showed me both right now, I'd much rather watch Only God Forgives.

Daft_Cat

It's about the only thing I do agree with Sculli on.

Same. It proves that Spielberg's not only a master of any type of film, he's damn intelligent as well.

That last shot gives me goose bumps every time I see it.

Edit for Bud:

A lack of subtlety doesn't bug me if the message was obvious to begin with. I felt he earned that shot...

I don't mind the rat either. Come at me.

Pfft. You don't think I know that? I feel like only a handful of people even saw the film with their eyes open.

Munich's a pretty damn good spy thriller. The best is a stretch though. I really liked Alec Guinness version of Tinker Tailor blah blah blah, The Conversation and Mission Impossible as well. It's up there though, especially recently.

edit: Robert Pattinson being cast in Cosmopolis is weird as hell, but I'm still excited for it because I like the director and premise. I really hope this kid doesn't fuck it up though. He can play a convincing young millionaire playboy...right?

Lakitu

st5fu
Munich, save Schindler's List, is Spielberg's best film.

Also, sublime score by John Williams. If you don't like it, I hate you.

Iceman

Gravity, Gravity, Gravity, Prometheus, Moonrise Kingdom, DKR, Hobbit, Cloud Atlas, Brave, Bigelow/Bin Laden, Looper, Lincoln, Only God Forgives, Master, and Skyfall.

13 beyond definitely's. That's a pretty good year (of hype.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom