• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 Movie Preview - what are you most anticipating?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amagon

My body is soo not ready for all these movies coming out this year. Its amazing to see all the big time movie directors pumping everything in this year like its the end of the world! This might be the time to invest in a HDTV/Home Theater just to catch these films on Blu-ray. Great OP as always Expendable!

Is nobody excited for Chan-Wook Park's Stoker or Rian Johnson's Looper???

My body is soo not ready for all these movies coming out this year. Its amazing to see all the big time movie directors pumping everything in this year like its the end of the world! This might be the time to invest in a HDTV/Home Theater just to catch these films on Blu-ray. Great OP as always Expendable!

Is nobody excited for Chan-Wook Park's Stoker or Rian Johnson's Looper???

Any other year Stoker would have been in the top 10. Can't freaking wait. Like, everything in the top 30 at least I'm dying to see.

Blader

Top 3:

The Dark Knight Rises
The Avengers
Skyfall

Everything else I'm pumped for in no real order:
The Grey
Moonrise Kingdom
Nero Fiddled
Prometheus
The Amazing Spider-Man
The Bourne Legacy
The Wettest Country
Looper
Argo
Taken 2
The Gangster Squad
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Kill Bin Laden
This is Forty
Django Unchained
The Master
The Burial
Cogan's Trade
Seven Psychopaths
The Place Beyond the Pines
Only God Forgives

This year is fucking STACKED.

bud

2012 really is looking quite impressive. fucking hell.

the burial is the one i'm looking forward to the most.

argo.jpg

"Hey babe, I negotiate million dollar deals for breakfast. I think I can handle this Eurotrash."

Nice to have so much to look forward to after such a "bleh" year for movies.

My top 5 (no particular order): Avengers, DKR, Prometheus, The Hobbit and Lincoln/Django Unchained in a tie for the last slot because I doubt both of them will be available to the general public by the end of the year...hoping for one or the other. I will definitely see all of these on the big screen, and probably two or three more.

Daft_Cat

?!?!? Sickest year.

The Hobbit + Prometheus + Dark Knight Rises, the big three nerd heavy hitters.

New Alfonso fuckin' Cuaron makes it a landmark year on its own. New Tarantino. New Wes and PTA and Coens. New Cronenberg and Ang Lee and Refn and Allen and Affleck and Malick. New Wong Kar Wai and Chan Wook Park. The Raid. Tom Yum Goong 2 bringing Pinkaew and Ja back together.

Damn.

No need to post my own thoughts.

This one nails it. Looking forward to the 3 heavy hitters plus the huge haul of quality filmmakers putting stuff out this year (some of whom we haven't seen in a while).

scitek

I'm looking forward to seeing a lot of stuff this year. I'm reviewing a movie each Friday for my own site, so I'm hoping to see a huge variety of stuff.

I generally don't worry about it this early, but Prometheus and the Hobbit are up there. Django Unchained is sure to be a great time.

I lucked into passes to see the Grey tonight at one of them fancy theaters where they serve food and cocktails. I'm really looking forward to that.

Solo

I think Ben Affleck is a fine actor. He's far beyond that phase where you want to punch his face every time you see it and has become a reliably good actor.

And he's a fucking dope director.

Bookmarking this thread. I'm going to try and see as many of the films in this thread as posible this year. I'm making going to the movies a regular thing again.

It's a shame that a lot of these movies probably won't be shown at any cinemas near me though.

I'm one of the biggest Tolkien nuts on the planet and I made the Hobbit thread here.

But I am more stoked and curious about Prometheus than pretty much anything else this year.

Prometheus and Cogan's Trade are all I'm truly excited for at the moment (Django Unchained would be there too if not for Jaime Fox who I don't really care for aside from Collateral), but I'm sure I'll check out a few others.

I just got back from an advance screening of The Grey, opening on January 27th.

It's probably the best "survival" movie I can think of. It's better than Alive and The Edge anyway. It is so much more than "Man VS. Wolf". Every shot is artful, every detail significant. The ending was PERFECT. Highly emotional. The director did not hold your hand and spell out significant details and revelations, which was a breath of fresh air. It's Liam Neeson's absolute best work. It's a shame it releases in January, because the Oscars are going to forget about it come next years Academy Awards. It's been a long time since a movie has affected me so intensely. HIGHLY recommended.

Blader

I just got back from an advance screening of The Grey, opening on January 27th.

It's probably the best "survival" movie I can think of. It's better than Alive and The Edge anyway. It is so much more than "Man VS. Wolf". Every shot is artful, every detail significant. The ending was PERFECT. Highly emotional. The director did not hold your hand and spell out significant details and revelations, which was a breath of fresh air. It's Liam Neeson's absolute best work. It's a shame it releases in January, because the Oscars are going to forget about it come next years Academy Awards. It's been a long time since a movie has affected me so intensely. HIGHLY recommended.

Hmm. I saw it at a screening tonight too and while I thought it was really good, I also didn't like it all that much. It was almost oppressively bleak. I didn't go into it expecting a Liam Neeson vs. wolves action movie, but all the same, I still didn't really enjoy watching it all that much.

and lol @
anyone expecting this movie to be about Neeson fighting wolves. Talk about bait-and-switch advertising.

Hmm. I saw it at a screening tonight too and while I thought it was really good, I also didn't like it all that much. It was almost oppressively bleak. I didn't go into it expecting a Liam Neeson vs. wolves action movie, but all the same, I still didn't really enjoy watching it all that much.

and lol @
anyone expecting this movie to be about Neeson fighting wolves. Talk about bait-and-switch advertising.

I don't know man... the revelation that
his wife was dead, with father's poem, just after going through everyone's pictures and that they DON'T show the outcome... I thought it was brilliant. In my mind, he kicked that wolf's ass, then when the beta wolves moved in to take him down, the logging company workers showed up with rifles and the day was saved. It's up to you how it ended. Then you have the initial "You are dying" scene, which went just long enough to make everyone uncomfortable. Little touches, like the magazine spotted when the plane was going down leading to the reclamation of the note.
It's more "art house" than "action", but I still feel strongly about it.

Short list of must watch:

The Grandmasters (Wong Kar-wai)
Nero Fiddled (Woody Allen; Summer TBA)
Cosmopolis (David Cronenberg; TBA)
The Dark Knight Rises (Christopher Nolan; July 20th)
Rust and Bone (Jacques Audiard; TBA)
Prometheus (Ridley Scott; June 8th)
Moonrise Kingdom (Wes Anderson; May 25th)
Cogan’s Trade (Andrew Dominik; TBA)
Django Unchained (Quentin Tarantino; December 25th)

and MOTHERFUCKING LOVE IN THE BUFF!

The Pirates! On an Adventure with Scientists will be the funniest thing released this year. Counting on it. The Wallace and Gromit movie was so fucking good, so yeah. If this time next year it's not primed to beat Brave (a film that I am extremely excited for also) for the Best Animated Oscar, well, things have once again gone awry at the Academy... or Aardman. :/

Expendable, you're a brave man putting World War Z on your list.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Too much to look forward to this year. Probably most looking forward to:
Cloud Atlas
The Grandmasters
Untitled Terrence Malick Film (that isn't and was never called 'The Burial')
Cogan's Trade
The End
The Master

But so much sounds so good.
Drug War (2012) Directed by Johnnie To,written by Wai Ka-Fai
Fuck yeah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom