• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 GAF's predictions for Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo in the next generation

Apathy

Yeah, if that thread proved anything, don't make predictions.

It proved gaffers are as good analyst as pachter is. Hell in some cases worse. Some people don't live in the real world and don't understand business. Their thoughts are clouded by fanboyism

bachikarn

I did not think the Wii U would do well, but I was positive it would do at least Gamecube numbers based on the name and Nintendo core fans. It is still mind boggling to me how much they fucked that system up.

Usobuko

Banned
I remember reading the predictions and to be honest it really sounds like what people hope to see than rational perspective.

2012 was before the 2013 reveal of PS4/Xbox One and most Sony fans would want 2 things to happen. First is launching at the same day as Next Xbox without giving it a one year headstart and Second would be being at the same pricepoint rather than 200 dollar more expensive.

If both conditions are fulfilled, PS4 would have a much easier battle against the next Xbox.

Well, I guess there is a shred of hope that we are wrong about the Switch. I also predicted Brexit wouldn't happen, France would beat Portugal in the Euro finals, and Trump had no chance of winning the presidency. I hope I'm wrong when I say the price of everything related to the Switch will have disastrous consequences.

It proved gaffers are as good analyst as pachter is. Hell in some cases worse. Some people don't live in the real world and don't understand business. Their thoughts are clouded by fanboyism

I generally agree but few could have predicted the meltdown of MS around the launch of the XB1.

Well, I guess there is a shred of hope that we are wrong about the Switch. I also predicted Brexit wouldn't happen, France would beat Portugal in the Euro finals, and Trump had no chance of winning the presidency. I hope I'm wrong when I say the price of everything related to the Switch will have disastrous consequences.

The difference between what people feel about the switch now and these predictions is that the feelings about the switch are post conference where they announced pricing. I personally hope we're all wrong cause I want the switch to succeed but Nintendo isn't making it easy with their paid online and $80 joycons

Toli08

Seemed like most of those people got bamboozled by "America" and the games media which is also mostly focused on the US. Heck a few years in and some of the same media heads think that the xbox can still come back and question what sony really has.

If everyone in that thread looked at the world picture even in 2012 it was clear as day what the future would be. The people that thought Sony would be dead just got blinded by only getting half the information. A lot of businesses and Countries have failed because of failed information and that thread is proof.

Even now people associate Sonys success with Microsofts and Ninentdos failure. 3 of the 4 generations that Sony has been a part of was at the top. Minus the start of the PS3 generation they have been the most stable of the three. It even shows in the marketing overall.

I did not think the Wii U would do well, but I was positive it would do at least Gamecube numbers based on the name and Nintendo core fans. It is still mind boggling to me how much they fucked that system up.

I suppose the Wii U has helped reveal how small the core Nintendo fan audience is these days, they really failed to expand much beyond that.

Seemed like most of those people got bamboozled by "America" and the games media which is also mostly focused on the US. Heck a few years in and some of the same media heads think that the xbox can still come back and question what sony really has.

If everyone in that thread looked at the world picture even in 2012 it was clear as day what the future would be. The people that thought Sony would be dead just got blinded by only getting half the information. A lot of businesses and Countries have failed because of failed information and that thread is proof.

Even now people associate Sonys success with Microsofts and Ninentdos failure. 3 of the 4 generations that Sony has been a part of was at the top. Minus the start of the PS3 generation they have been the most stable of the three. It even shows in the marketing overall.

Seeing MS and Nintendo making bad decisions these past few years goes to show how well Sony has done this generation. They've kept it mostly simple with a very focused product and messaging

RedZaraki

Banned
These are painfully wrong. I think the concensus is that the Switch will be a slightly better Wii U so it'll be interesting to see if that's wrong too

I'm already one of the voices saying it actually will perform WORSE than the Wii U.

That's my gut impression.

Oh look I posted in that. I didn't really make a 1,2,3 prediction in that thread but I feel like I mostly got what I said correct

Hard to pick, the generation could go any which way. All I know is I think Sony have the most to prove and they know it. Despite the fact that they were on top last gen, they are heading into next gen in a better position. Less arrogant and more open. Development will be much easier.

Microsoft won't rest on their laurels and despite what people say about Kinect etc., MS won't go into next gen aiming for the casual first. They will aim for the hardcore then realign for the casuals in a few years.

I think Nintendos plans can be hit and miss. Not sure which way it could go right now. I think the best thing going for them at the moment is that Sony and Microsoft have not unveiled what they are doing.

120v

back in 2012 wasn't it assumed Wii U would be at graphical parity with xb1 and ps4?

wasn't until i found out it was essentially a 360 with a touchpad that i figured it'd bomba

back in 2012 wasn't it assumed Wii U would be at graphical parity with xb1 and ps4?

wasn't until i found out it was essentially a 360 with a touchpad that i figured it'd bomba
No I think the assumption was more like it would be a significant jump over 360 and PS3 but still short of the next PS and Xbox when they came out later

Kind of like a Dreamcast early jump over the competition

stryke

Oh look I posted in that. I didn't really make a 1,2,3 prediction in that thread but I feel like I mostly got what I said correct

Mostly? You got 1 out of 3 right.

Microsoft was casual then realigned to hardcore.

Your Nintendo prediction amounted to it 'could go either way'.

GeoramA

Those predictions all seemed fine 5 years ago. But this happened:

-Nintendo confused everyone with Wii U
-Microsoft pissed everyone off with the XB1
-Sony coming out and saying "Hey, we're doing the opposite of those guys"

Mostly? You got 1 out of 3 right.

Microsoft was casual then realigned to hardcore.

Your Nintendo prediction amounted to it 'could go either way'.
MS was off, though that's what they should have done.

Nintendo IS hit and miss

But I guess that's not really a prediction

Elandyll

Banned
sony on top 100 mil ps4's sold 60 mil vitas
nintendo second mario keepin em alive
microsoft third ain't got no exclusives

Not bad, except for the huge Nin tumble that was hard to predict.

The MS "no exclusive" (relating to Play Anywhere that is) part is almost prescient...

Vitas though..

Apathy

I'm already one of the voices saying it actually will perform WORSE than the Wii U.

That's my gut impression.

naw man, there is no way it can be worse than the wii. The second the next pokemon game is put on there and not on the 3DS that thing will get enough to push it over the threshold of the Wii u

This is definitely a huge part of it. I think if you were to get predictions from a lot of the big US based sites, they'd look a lot like the predictions in that thread. One thing this generation has done is open some eyes to just how much work Sony has put into building up the Playstation brand around the world. That worldwide brand strength is how they completely nullified the big lead the 360 had on the PS3 in the US.

What are you talking about? Hardware wise, the Vita was amazing, OLED, 540p, multitouch, 2 fucking analog sticks. It was essentially a generation better than the 3DS.
Hardware was not the reason for the vita's failure.

Cerny can't be blamed for it's lack of compelling software &marketing

Yup. It may not have succeeded but such a great set of hardware and I doubt the proprietary memory card thing was his call. It was even set to have a decent price until the large 3DS price cut and memory card prices. It seems to be quite developer friendly too, despite coming out a decent time before PS4 was built with the real indie push, given all of the indies that have also been successful on it after the bigger devs left.

And he did the same with PS4, outdid everybody on the combination of components and well-chosen additions for customizing the GPU. Predicted the needs well enough to get the vast majority of games achieving 1080p too.

Plus Cerny, Shu, Boyes, Tretton, House and the rest going in surprisingly full on acknowledging their mistakes with PS3. Cerny even openly talking about them as he outlined the specs of the PS4.

Phediuk

Those predictions all seemed fine 5 years ago. But this happened:

-Nintendo confused everyone with Wii U
-Microsoft pissed everyone off with the XB1
-Sony coming out and saying "Hey, we're doing the opposite of those guys"

Nintendo had already confused everyone by this point. This was after the E3 2012 demo that ended with the Nintendoland fireworks, remember.

FZZ

Banned
This thread needs hella context

Sony as a company was failing outside of like two sectors and the company was bleeding money. Also Vita had launched.

Nintendo had released jack shit for the past 2 years and people expected a shit ton of games and not an outrageous price for the shitty hardware coupled with marketing that was the equivalent of selling manure as food

For predictions they weren't bad

Props to Kaz for turning Playstation's and Sony's fortunes around

My prediction on that thread:

Sony or Microsoft first. Really hard to predict wich one. I'll say Sony if they have great launch with good price and launch near nextbox but whoever is 1st the second one won't be far behind. Microsoft can give Sony a hard ass time if they go for full moneyhat mode but I don't know if any of the 3 will go for that.

Wii U will be the third but still have great numbers. Nowhere near Wii numbers tho. I really don't see Wii U getting the same audience back that they had with Wii and I think that is the audience Nintendo will be going for. If they will really go after the HD twins audience they will need some sick exclusives outside of their 1st party stuff. Of course the 1st party games will reel a lot of people in too.

And for those that say Sony will be dropping out and stuff, no chance in hell. They being third place is certainly a possibility but even then I think they would be having some great numbers and I really can't see them doing as big mistakes as with PS3.

Didn't predict how hard Ninty and MS would drop the ball but otherwise not too embarassing compared to some other stuff in that thread. I can't believe people were all about PS4 being doomed after Sony catching up to 360 despite all their bungling and Wii being dead by then.

Aceofspades

Banned
The crazy thing is that PS3 was outselling 360 Worldwide since launch but it doesn't matter for most posters of Gaf because PS3 NPD performance was subpar compared to 360.

People needs to realize that NPD is one small part of the picture especially for Sony.

Always bet on Playstation systems, hell even the lowest selling PS system is around 90m units sold (higher than anything MS achieved, Nintendo has only one console sold better than PS3)

now PS4 has sold 54m units. 2012 predictions thread doesn't make sense to me at all.

People like to mention "GAFs" lack of ability to predict the future but at that point in time was there any or many pros that would have predicted the outcome differently?

It's easy to look back and laugh and see people with egg on their face but no one could have predicted MS fail so badly to unveil a system and the policies it had in place back then. Nor really that Sony really had its head screwed on and actually knew what they were doing.

Sony as a company was failing outside of like two sectors and the company was bleeding money. Also Vita had launched.

Nintendo had released jack shit for the past 2 years and people expected a shit ton of games and not an outrageous price for the shitty hardware coupled with marketing that was the equivalent of selling manure as food

Props to Kaz for turning Playstation's and Sony's fortunes around

Except:
1. The Vita was a misstep but you could see that coming from the PSP. The important bit is Sony were doing great with the PS3 at the time, with some great first party games, strong indie support and some really great, consumer friendly initiatives (PS+ IGC, cross-buy, cross-save, etc). They built up a lot of good will at the time.

2. The Wii U had had two poor showings at E3 by that point, a lot of people still thought it was a Wii accessory FFS and there was always going to be a bit of a speed bump with Nintendo finally moving to HD. Nintendo fans were outright delusional going into that launch, I remember arguing with a bunch of them in the Any reason why the Wii U *won't* dominate Japan? thread because there were people seriously arguing that Dragon Quest X, Monster Hunter 3U, Tekken Tag 2, Dynasty Warriorsn, etc would sell millions of Wii U's in Japan. They didn't even want to consider that DQX was an up-port of a MMO already available on the Wii, MH3U was an up-port of a series that has always done FAR better on handhelds and the rest were just PS3 ports.

Talax

Looking at those comments makes me think that people were only considering NA and UK as the only important markets for deciding sales because as far as I remember, worldwide Sony sales figures were pretty much almost on par with 360.

The biggest lesson I drew from reading those predictions was that people systematically overestimate momentum from one generation to the next and underestimate the capacity of a new product launch to hit the reset button.

Fair enough, since in the course of predicting anything you work with the information you have, and game-changing factors like Microsoft's messy introduction of the Xbox One wasn't information on the table.

I haven't posted in that thread but my prediction in 2011 was that

Nintendo will release first with slightly underpowered box doing 1080p@30 or 720@60
Microsoft releasing second with most powerfull console with plenty of 1080@60 games
Sony being late again by around 6 months and having slightly slower console than xbox

For sales I expected Sony first due to worldwide presence with slight lead over Microsoft and Nintendo dropping to around half of Wii userbase.

I expected that they will follow with strategies that were most successful for their brands and not try to commit marketing suicide like Nintendo or Microsoft :) In retrospective it looks like only Sony realized what was their and competitors strong points.

Looking at those comments makes me think that people were only considering NA and UK as the only important markets for deciding sales because as far as I remember, worldwide Sony sales figures were pretty much almost on par with 360.
They were. Hell even today some people still think that way

Twelvy

I confirms many people on GAF (I don't exclude myself) had little understanding of the market.
But don't worry, it seems neither Microsoft nor Nintendo had some.

Can't believe so many people thought the wii u would be a massive success. That thing screamed flop to me due to the extremely awkward marketing and massive controller. As if the mass market would gravitate towards that. Plus the Wii was facing a backlash from hardcore gamers, the early adopters.

MS and Sony were much harder to predict. MS seemingly had a stranglehold on the US. No could've predicted the Xbone reveal.

Biggest mistake people seem to make in the predictions is vastly overestimating the previous-gen console base's brand loyalty and intent to purchase the successor console. Wii-U was assumed to be a major success based on the vast sales of its predecessor. While in America, the assumed default console for casual/bro audiences changed from the 360 to the PS4 overnight.

Finalow

that "Wii U will become another PS2" post made my day.

-
if by "weren't bad" you mean completely clueless and wrong, then yes, I agree. and if you're gonna drop some hella context at least get it right
even at the time, thinking the Wii U could have been a massive success was a pure deranged delusion, especially after the terrible showings they did. Sony's situation wasn't that bad at all, but of course there still were people thinking the company was already dead and buried.

Yeah, whenever people here say that the Switch is going to be a Wii U-level bomb I just remember how everyone thought the Wii U would take first place easily back then due to the casual market buying it in droves. Predicting MS > Sony at that point made sense, though- in hindsight both of them were already on the trajectories that led to their current positions back then, but realistically nobody could have predicted how bad MS was going to shit the bed (and how well Sony would actually not fuck it up- wasn't conventional wisdom back then that PS4 would be powered by a Cell 2 or something rather than x86?)

While people like us can predict how well things will do among the "core" audience somewhat accurately (by fall 2013 everyone here who wasn't blinded by fanboyism had a decent idea of how PS4 vs XBone would go) we're traditionally really fucking bad at predicting what the "casual" market will do.

Top Bottom