• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Game of the Year Media Picks Thread

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Star Wars: The Old Republic has burst onto the board with 2 GOTY awards. Too little, too late?
When most awards were decided before TOR even came out it's kind of surprising it even got anything. I think it was also Rooster Teeth's GOTY by the way.

GeoramA

Shocked at the lack of Deus Ex accolades...then again this was a pretty packed year.

Thanks for keeping the OP updated, Cheesemeister.

Riposte

Not from the media, but... it needs to be posted. Funny to me for two reasons. (Then again, I'm not even sure how real this is)

Gi0wJ.jpg

Alrus

Inafune can't be serious with this.

And Keita Takahashi, voting for a game in a series you created is poor sports! :p

Riposte

If someone could tell me if that picture is true, I'd be thankful. Could be completely fake, but I love Kamiya's response too much so I don't want it to be.

mxgt

Banned
only reason Skyrim gets so many picks over DS despite DS being vastly superior is the fact is has more mainstream exposure. plus people don't like dying or challenge in games any more

I like Skyrim but DS does pretty much everything it sets out to do really well. Skyrim has terrible combat, bad animations, a whole load of jank and fluff content to pad the game out and is flat out broken on 1 platform and has yet to be fixed. GOTY!

beril

I don't really understand why Super Mario 3D Land doesn't get more attention, when both Galaxy games got lots and lots of GOTYs. To me it's a better game than both of them and certainly more innovative than galaxy 2. It's also a much more pure gameplay experience than anything I've played in years, and made it nearly impossible to enjoy normal games with lots of cinematics and tutorials afterwards.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If someone could tell me if that picture is true, I'd be thankful. Could be completely fake, but I love Kamiya's response too much so I don't want it to be.

Googling some of the lesser known names plus the names of the games comes up with nothing.

The same happens when adding in game of the year.

Jarmel

Banned
Here's the problem I have with Skyrim winning GOTY. The AI, animations, combat, dialogue, graphics, quests, and characters are all sub-par. It's going to win mainly based off of the quantity of all these things.

Dresden

Here's the problem I have with Skyrim winning GOTY. The AI, animations, combat, dialogue, graphics, quests, and characters are all sub-par. It's going to win mainly based off of the quantity of all these things.

If the overall package is impressive, why not. I don't think it deserves GOTY, but I don't have a real problem with it winning all these awards either, asides from the whole not working on the ps3 dealio.

Jarmel

Banned
If the overall package is impressive, why not. I don't think it deserves GOTY, but I don't have a real problem with it winning all these awards either, asides from the whole not working on the ps3 dealio.

I personally don't hate it winning, it's more of an annoyance though. I think Arkham City for example does everything better except for the scale.

Moaradin

Skyrim is a great game but I couldn't consider it GOTY with all the issues it has. Batman would definitely be my choice.

Moaradin

200+ hours on 360 and 40+ on PC and I don't have any issues. I guess it depends what platform you're playing it on.

PC version has a terrible hud that's just unacceptable and the performance is bad as well. I'm counting on mods on fixing everything, but that doesn't excuse Bethesda. Especially for the totally broken PS3 version.

mujun

I personally don't hate it winning, it's more of an annoyance though. I think Arkham City for example does everything better except for the scale.

Opinions and all. I loved Asylum and thought City was crap. Didn't even bother playing half of it before selling it off.

Portal 2 taking over AC. Big meh, I found myself playing it more for the jokes than actual engaging puzzles. And making the portals only usable on white walls was a big loss.

edgefusion

I just hate the idea of a developer being rewarded with GOTY when their PS3 version is such a complete piece of shit, regardless of what other platforms it's on. I feel badly stung by it and for all I care Bethesda can go jump off a cliff and never be heard from again. Completely the wrong way of looking at GOTY awards I know, but still, fuck Bethesda.

Riposte

I don't really understand why Super Mario 3D Land doesn't get more attention, when both Galaxy games got lots and lots of GOTYs. To me it's a better game than both of them and certainly more innovative than galaxy 2. It's also a much more pure gameplay experience than anything I've played in years, and made it nearly impossible to enjoy normal games with lots of cinematics and tutorials afterwards.

Super Mario 3D Land is a 3DS game, that's why.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
mujun said:
Opinions and all. I loved Asylum and thought City was crap. Didn't even bother playing half of it before selling it off.

What was the difference maker for you? I'm honestly curious.

I replayed Asylum immediately after my first run through City and although I still enjoyed the hell out of it, I could see where the sequel was a definite improvement.

Main differences I noticed were a more streamlined and simplified approach to the stealth sections - less guns and no more making certain walls/structures un-grapplable I thought was a big improvement. Melee wasn't changed much aside from the scale of battle being increased, although very much like the changes made going from Demon's->Dark Souls there were a bunch of nips and tucks to give things a more visceral feel without impacting responsiveness.

The only major advantage Asylum had for me was the Scarecrow sequences, but truthfully given that there are only 4 short segments in the entire game it wasn't a big loss.

On the other hand City's Riddler content was vastly enlarged and superior, with Bats' many gadgets and techniques being much better used to create puzzles and tests of skill. The numerous side-missions and easter-eggs scattered around make the world a joy to explore, especially with the whole "riddler informant" system adding a small tactical element to the most mundane fights.

Technically and artistically City is unquestionably a step up in my opinion.

mujun

What was the difference maker for you? I'm honestly curious.

I replayed Asylum immediately after my first run through City and although I still enjoyed the hell out of it, I could see where the sequel was a definite improvement.

Main differences I noticed were a more streamlined and simplified approach to the stealth sections - less guns and no more making certain walls/structures un-grapplable I thought was a big improvement. Melee wasn't changed much aside from the scale of battle being increased, although very much like the changes made going from Demon's->Dark Souls there were a bunch of nips and tucks to give things a more visceral feel without impacting responsiveness.

The only major advantage Asylum had for me was the Scarecrow sequences, but truthfully given that there are only 4 short segments in the entire game it wasn't a big loss.

On the other hand City's Riddler content was vastly enlarged and superior, with Bats' many gadgets and techniques being much better used to create puzzles and tests of skill. The numerous side-missions and easter-eggs scattered around make the world a joy to explore, especially with the whole "riddler informant" system adding a small tactical element to the most mundane fights.

Technically and artistically City is unquestionably a step up in my opinion.

The focus of Asylum made all the difference to me. I always knew what I needed to do and where the story was. By being focused it kept me interested and engaged the whole way through which let me appreciate the awesome combat, atmosphere and metroid style gameplay. City on the other hand tried to cram too much stuff in, I don't think the more open world style suits the game very well. It felt unfocused, found it overly difficult to follow the story and figure out what I should do next at times which for me, with this type of game is a definite no-no. The side stuff also feels tacked on and pointless for the same reason, I'm not a fan of side story stuff in a game like this.

Riposte

The focus of Asylum made all the difference to me. I always knew what I needed to do and where the story was. By being focused it kept me interested and engaged the whole way through which let me appreciate the awesome combat, atmosphere and metroid style gameplay. City on the other hand tried to cram too much stuff in, I don't think the more open world style suits the game very well. It felt unfocused, found it overly difficult to follow the story and figure out what I should do next at times which for me, with this type of game is a definite no-no. The side stuff also feels tacked on and pointless for the same reason, I'm not a fan of side story stuff in a game like this.

Look at the map and beacons directing you to the next part of the game.

I am pretty amazed that you can look at the direct improvements and pass over it for something vague like "focus". It is the kind of outlook I see surround too many AAA flashy games. Novelty and whatnot. Comes off as arbitrary to me.

mujun

Look at the map and beacons directing you to the next part of the game.

I am pretty amazed that you can look at the direct improvements and pass over it for something vague like "focus". It is the kind of outlook I see surround too many AAA flashy games. Novelty and whatnot. Comes off as arbitrary to me.

Nothing arbitrary about it. Proof is in the pudding, loved the first game and put a bunch of hours into it. I lost interest in the 2nd one after 5 hours or so. Like I said, it's the sort of game that for me, needs to be super focused for me to enjoy it. I'm glad you loved it, I sure wanted to too seeing as I forked out full price for it and then lost a chunk when I sold it off.

Riposte

Nothing arbitrary about it. Proof is in the pudding, loved the first game and put a bunch of hours into it. I lost interest in the 2nd one after 5 hours or so. Like I said, it's the sort of game that for me, needs to be super focused for me to enjoy it. I'm glad you loved it, I sure wanted to too seeing as I forked out full price for it and then lost a chunk when I sold it off.

By no means did I love it. Arkham City is quite an average game(maybe better than the Assassin's Creed series at this point), while Arkham Asylum was a very dull one. AC went out of its way to evolve concepts in manner that it made it seem they were aiming at people who already played AA and I think it helped them out a lot in the end. I mean you look at something like the final predator sequences and it is pretty impressive how far they've come from the super repetitive ones in AA.

I still don't understand why you couldn't make yourself "super focused" on the main objective. Most story events took place in specific spots and some of which were as closed off as any Asylum encounter.

Duffyside

Banned
For Pete's sake, why are there so many more publications counted for giving awards every year? Can't we just come up with a list of like 20 places that matter instead of counting "ooh ooh! This random PS3-only site from Sri Lanka gave Skyrim game of the year too! Granted it was the only game they played this year, as the site just launched yesterday, but... but I LOVE SKYRIM COUNT IT! OH EM GEE look guys at all the awards my game has now! It's the best game ever! Isn't it the best game ever?"

Top Bottom