• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 forgotten videogame franchises that deserve a comeback!

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
Shinobi. Last release 2011. The Game Gear version of Shinobi was one of the systems best games for me. Also it had one hell of an OST.

rubenburgt

header.jpg

Screw you Activision.

Fredrik

Some good picks, these are mine:

The Last Ninja
Viva Pinata
Final Fight
Turrican
Battle Squadron
Vagrant Story
Pirates!
Airborne Ranger
Space Quest
Top Spin
Cadaver
Dungeon Master
Ridge Racer
Gravity Force
Shinobi
Metal Gear
Time Crisis
Silk Worm
Ecco the Dolphin
Castlevania

Dorago

I'm a Rygar fan obviously and I think the PS2 game was unfairly overlooked and even copied whole cloth by those bums at Sony. We don't need anymore awkward fixed perspective 3D games though. A remake or re-imagining of the 2D games would do it for me. You could even combine the infinite runner aspect of the Arcade/8-bit PC ports and the Zelda like adventure of the NES game. We are in a renaissance of sorts for 32-bit style 2D games and plenty of studios have the skills at least to make it happen.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Longtime wish:
A proper NES-type Rygar sequel. PS2 games was not what I wanted as a game at all.

Others that should make a comeback:
Adventures of Lolo
Crystalis
Phantasy Star (proper offline RPG)
Adventure Island
Astyanax
Contra
Jackal
The Legend Of Kage
Adventure of Link (2D zelda)

HYDE

Banned
I could pass on them all. Give me a Trojan 3D reimagining or Strider. Give it to an adept action adventure development studio. I’d still love an adequate 3D third person Metroid.

HYDE

Banned
Longtime wish:
A proper NES-type Rygar sequel. PS2 games was not what I wanted as a game at all.
Adventure of Link (2D zelda)
Yes please to these both. But I’d take Rygar 3D third person and an Adventure of Link 2D remake. Get rid of the tediius RPG grind shit and random encounters in the open world. Make it like Zelda 1 while in the open world.

Banned
No One Lives Forever is a game series that I don't get the fascination of.

I never played the games back then, but recently downloaded all 3 games on PC from a website that archives them (since they are basically abandonware) because as a boomer shooter fanboy and being on a boomer shooter trip recently... I wanted to look what they're all about.

...and like... they aren't good... and not only "not good by modern standards" but also simply not good compared to similar games of their time, also I am usually a big fan of older shooters as well

awful animations, really bad gunplay, unsatisfying gun animations, really dumb AI, sometimes super boring missions (like the first real mission in the first game already made me wanna quit instantly it was so bad), pretty bad leveldesign...
I can barely say anything positive about them. I guess the concept is fun and the characters are ok 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Yes please to these both. But I’d take Rygar 3D third person and an Adventure of Link 2D remake. Get rid of the tediius RPG grind shit and random encounters in the open world. Make it like Zelda 1 while in the open world.
JP version of Zelda 2 is much better and more balanced. Not the frustrating US mess.

Top Bottom