• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 Silent Hill Games reportedly in Development

gaming_noob

Based on Orisis’ clues, Sony is working with Konami on Silent Hill (full exclusive) and MS has timed exclusivity for Resident Evil 8

Last edited:
Konami is still my favorite software house. They will be back in full force, mark my words.

It would be nice, although I'm not holding my breath.

But I also don't have any hate for Konami. There are so many with jilted-lover syndrome in regards to Konami. But I remember and love them for all the great games they've made. (and I still love PES) Even if they never return to the way they were, they surely brought gamers some great times. No reason to be bitter for me.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
They made me the gamer I am today, sculpted my taste, and that feeling of buying and booting a new Konami game on my MSX2 home computer... it's a feeling I have been chasing ever since.

Vampire Killer, Maze of Galious, Metal Gear, Gradius, Salamander, Treasure of USAS, King's Valley, F-1 Spirit, Penguin Adventure... this was my golden age. I kinda fell out of it in de 16-bit area becoming obsessed with point-and-click stuff on PC, but with PS1 I was back for Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Suikoden, Castlevania SOTN, ...

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
I want to have faith, but Konami let us down too much. So it's not hard to see people being down on this.

Arachnid

Without joking, an Until Dawn like videogame suit Silent Hill a lot.
Actually, it might. It works really well for camera angles and story presentation. Exploration could work but you'd need inventory management which hasn't ever been a thing in these kind of games. IDK how easy it would be to implement.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'm interested what could come out of it, especially if it's developed in Japanese studio.
It really depends on which Japanese studio, because ToyLogic is a Japanese studio, and despite budget and time, Contra Rogue Corps felt like a sequel to Happy Dungeons/Happy Wars. No one wanted that. But then, Ghost Babel and Revengeance were also co-developed by Japanese studios (Tose and Platinum Games respectively), and those games were great.

johntown

Banned
I will believe it is actually video game when I see it. Even then their recent past record with these games has been pretty bad some my expectations are pretty low. I am really hoping it will be the like the first 3 but in reality I doubt it.......well because Konami.

OrionNebula

I liked Shattered Memories and Downpour was rough technically but still pretty good. Cautious optimism.

These would be developed externally, the leak says, like everySilent Hill game after 4 has been.

Taking a look at the five disastrous non-konami-made attempts at Silent Hill, puked hot garbage, get on with my day

Honestly, though, I stand with Twin Perfect on most of their opinions on SH, and there’s a million reasons to absolutely be ashamed and disgusted by 0rigins, Homecoming, Shattered Memories & Downpour (especially if you compare it to 1-3 or 1-4 to an extent), but hey, tastes are tastes and you probably have your reasons for enjoying SHSM, I have absolutely no issues with that in any way, shape or form

For me, though, Silent Hill was extremely important, so I feel very somewhat sour how mishandled that series has been, and I’d rather just see it stay dead than adding another one to the pile of hot trash. I feel already bad enough there’s more bad Silent Hill than great ones, that I’d rather just let it be

I’m not gonna deny I will check it out if true, but my expectations are so horribly low, it’s almost unchartable

ExpandKong

Banned
Taking a look at the five disastrous non-konami-made attempts at Silent Hill, puked hot garbage, get on with my day

Honestly, though, I stand with Twin Perfect on most of their opinions on SH, and there’s a million reasons to absolutely be ashamed and disgusted by 0rigins, Homecoming, Shattered Memories & Downpour (especially if you compare it to 1-3 or 1-4 to an extent), but hey, tastes are tastes and you probably have your reasons for enjoying SHSM, I have absolutely no issues with that in any way, shape or form

For me, though, Silent Hill was extremely important, so I feel very somewhat sour how mishandled that series has been, and I’d rather just see it stay dead than adding another one to the pile of hot trash. I feel already bad enough there’s more bad Silent Hill than great ones, that I’d rather just let it be

I’m not gonna deny I will check it out if true, but my expectations are so horribly low, it’s almost unchartable

I mean, let’s be clear - I’m not saying Shattered Memories or Downpour are anywhere close to any of the four Team Silent games. There’s just no competing with those, particularly Silent Hill 2. They are beyond compare.

Realizing that they are beyond compare, then, you can allow yourself to stop comparing the newer games to them and thus start to see some good aspects of them. Well, Shattered Memories and Downpour at least (in my opinion - the other two are pretty dull).

With Shattered Memories, I liked that it wasn’t trying to out-SH2 SH2 like Origins and Homecoming were. It took the basic premise of the first game and went in a completely new direction with it. It was kind of a bigger risk than a more standard remake would've been, particularly with a franchise as dear to its fanbase as Silent Hill, so kudos to them for that. I thought the ice theme for the Otherworld was great (and honestly would love another game in the franchise to use it again somehow). I enjoyed the narrative device of being the patient sitting in Dr. Kaufman's office, all the stuff you could do with the phone, and the first couple times through the game I thought some of the psych evaluation stuff was pretty neat with the changes it would cause. And call me an asshole, but I liked most of the motion control puzzle stuff in the (definitive) Wii version of the game.

That said, it was far from perfect. The lack of combat was a bit of a downer, especially not having any bosses. The series has never been known for great combat so I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of doing away with it completely, but once you realize you're in zero danger in the "real world" parts of the game, it loses something. I dunno...it's almost more of an adventure, point and click, Telltale-type game than a survival horror game. Which isn't bad as an idea, but the execution here wasn't quite there I think. And while there are monsters in the game, it's just one kind with some visual differences depending on the psych evaluation system (and honestly none of the different appearances made any sense to me thematically).

Downpour is the one that really broke my heart, though. It felt very ambitious, and there were lots of great ideas there, but you could tell that Konami weren't willing to give the game the time and money it needed to really shine. Technical performance was rough, and I say that as someone who is rarely bothered by things like low framerates or long load times. This game had bad screen tearing and some crazy load times (and frequent too) at launch (I think some of the technical stuff was fixed in a patch later on). Enemy variety was pretty lacking here, too, from what I remember - lots of those humanoid zombie-type things everywhere - I honestly can't think of another enemy type besides the final boss.

But the idea behind the story was neat, the whole escaped prisoner thing and all that. The open world was kinda janky but I enjoyed the sidequests and the easter eggs they packed in there (just about shat myself when I realized I'd wandered into Henry's apartment from SH4) and I remember some of the environmental transformation stuff being really impressive to me at the time.

It sucks, this was the second of only two games Vatra Studios made before they went bankrupt. Hope those folks all got good jobs elsewhere, it really seemed like they had a lot of talent that maybe could've used a bit more oversight and direction.

I think with the recent leaks i have read about (Konami registering Silent Hill, Kojima productions may be one of the developers), and now this, Silent Hill is slowly creeping back from the dead.

MiguelItUp

It's impossible to get excited about this until we see something that looks appealing. I'll always be hopeful, but man, Konami died a long time ago.

ExpandKong

Banned
If the original creators aren’t making it then it will be garbage.

I don't really like this mindset tbh. How many of the original creators of Mario worked on Odyssey, do you think? Or how many of the original RE2's staff worked on the remake?

As I touched on before, I think a lot of later Silent Hill's problems were because of Konami picking inexperienced/inappropriate studios to farm the games out to, and then not providing as much oversight/guidance/straight up money as they should have.

The series can still be good.

Top Bottom