• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1990s gaming mascot Zool to return in ‘Zool Redimensioned’

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF
A mascot of a 90's SNES Game..

I saw it in a magazine of Nintendo but I never played the games

Last edited:

Cattlyst

I had Zool on the Atari Jaguar back in the day and it was a poor, poor game. Looking at that video, this 'remaster' will not do anything to change my opinion!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I wish someone would make a crossover with all the c-list mascots. It could have Bubsy, Noid, Cool Spot, Zool, Awesome Possum, Sparkster…

tkscz

Whats with these old terrible platformers getting new light? Is it because Youtubers keep going over these?

First Bubsy and now this. Whats next Aero the Acrobat?

Why not revive Gex or Croc? Games that were fun.

It actually is the best platformer on the system
You realize that isn't saying much right?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
"Redimensioned" makes it sound like the series has made the leap to 3D, but then it turns out it looks exactly like the old games. Pretty weird.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Zool and Zool 2 were both really fun platformers with very good DOS versions. I have no idea why they think Twitch addicted zoomers will ever care, as evidenced by this miserable thread, but that's why I don't make the necrophile business decisions that power the modern game industry.

Impotaku

LOL zool, nobody asked for this to come back it's what the non console owners had to make do with as a mario/sonic substitute. Goes along with the whole pile of mediocre platformers that were released on 16 bit computers, super frog, mr nuts, james pond and a whole pile of other crappy ones.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I played the original on my Amiga 500 back in the days - It was a decent game for its time, and it brings back happy memories. Can't say I'm interested in this game beyond the novelty of reading about it though.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Since it came out?

FQH4005.png
Amiga gamers hyped it up as it was the supposed sonic killer, so if it's nothing or turd of course they are gonna love it. It's not like the amiga has a stellar library of platformers to begin with. And no i don't hate the amiga i love it's library some of my all time faves are on that system but i played enough of the dross to know that when it comes to platformers it's pretty shit.

Patrick S.

Banned
Amiga gamers hyped it up as it was the supposed sonic killer, so if it's nothing or turd of course they are gonna love it. It's not like the amiga has a stellar library of platformers to begin with. And no i don't hate the amiga i love it's library some of my all time faves are on that system but i played enough of the dross to know that when it comes to platformers it's pretty shit.
Well I wouldn't be honest if I were to vehemently keep defending this game, since, tbh, I don't really remember much about it after all this time. I'll be playing the Steam version for sure, though.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

It was a kinda unfair situation really. The 16-bit consoles were basically built specifically to make platformers, with tile-playfields and the like, whereas the Amiga was capable but involved a lot more work to achieve the same result.

Basically if you were doing something on say the Genesis/Megadrive you could really forget about drawing stuff and just focus on the graphics and level design, whereas on the Amiga you always had a lot of tension between the rendering part of the engine and what you were trying to achieve in a gameplay sense. Especially if you were looking to match the consoles in terms of features and frame-rate you were creating quite the rock for your back.

Its kinda ironic that the Atari ST arguably fared better because on that hardware you basically had to accept that you were going to be running slower due to the limited tech, and so you could just build for development efficiency as opposed to performance.

ripeavocado

Banned

1990s gaming mascot Zool to return in ‘Zool Redimensioned’​

Let's do the time warp, again

KvMIqlR.jpg

Classic 1990s platforming hero Zool is set for a comeback, with a surprise remake of the original Amiga game coming to PC.

Zool Redimensioned will arrive on Steam from August 18, developed by Sumo Digital Academy and published by Secret Mode. The project is the result of Sumo’s talent development programme, which focuses on providing more routes into the games industry, with the team receiving guidance from the developers who worked on the original.

Half of Secret Mode’s revenue from Zool Redimensioned will go back to the Sumo Digital Academy, to support further student initiatives.

Redimensioned is shaping up to be a classic, or ‘old school’, platforming experience. Secret Mode described the game, saying “Help Zool jump, spin, and shoot his way across eight alien worlds, taking down menacing bosses and saving the universe from the nefarious influence of Krool.”

Redimensioned is further described as having been “rebuilt from the ground up for modern audiences”. The game will feature 28 platforming challenges, seven “completely redesigned” boss fights, and “new secrets, challenges, and extras” to uncover. The game will also support achievements on Steam, with 25 to unlock.

For players who might remember the original version – which was notoriously tough – Redimensioned will feature two game modes. The eponymous “Redimensioned” offers a more accessible modern experience, while “Ultimate Ninja” maintains a “true hardcore” challenge.

There are also quality of life enhancements, including level select, progress checkpoints, and accessibility options. There will be the option to play the original Mega Drive version of the game as well.

The original Zool game was developed by the now-defunct Gremlin Graphics, and was first launched on the Amiga in 1992. Described as the “Ninja from the Nth Dimension!” Zool himself looked rather more like an anthropomorphic ant. Nevertheless, his debut proved popular and the game was ported to almost a dozen platforms, including the Mega Drive and Super Nintendo.

Source: NME

The Ninja of the Nth Dimension is back!

Originally released by Gremlin Graphics in 1992 on the Amiga to critical acclaim, iconic gaming mascot Zool returns in Zool Redimensioned!

This brand-new reimagining of the classic action platforming adventure has been rebuilt from the ground up for modern audiences. Help Zool jump, spin and shoot his way across eight alien worlds, taking down menacing bosses and saving the universe from the nefarious influence of Krool.

Zool’s old school platforming action will challenge the most hardcore gamers, with modern enhancements that bring the game into the 21st century. Beat your speed run times, discover secrets hidden across every level, or go back in time and play the original classic game. Re-live the legend of the ninja that started it all!

Features​

• Over 28 retro platforming challenges, all enhanced for the best possible experience
  • Choose between two main game modes: Redimensioned for a more accessible modern experience, or Ultimate Ninja to experience a true hardcore challenge
  • Trade blows with the dimension's most dangerous creatures in seven completely redesigned boss fights
  • Discover new secrets, challenges and extras across your adventure, with over 25 achievements to unlock
  • Enhanced quality-of-life options, including a level select screen, checkpoints, accessibility options and more
  • Play the original Mega Drive version for a truly authentic retro adventure

Great, this is what we really needed…

“rebuilt from the ground up for modern audiences”
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

Though to be fair I don't think retro audiences care about Zool either. But this is also some weird student internship school funding project so like.... whatever.

Whats with these old terrible platformers getting new light? Is it because Youtubers keep going over these?

First Bubsy and now this. Whats next Aero the Acrobat?

Why not revive Gex or Croc? Games that were fun.

You realize that isn't saying much right?
This is true as there aren’t many options so the best platform game is pretty average. Btw, the console isn’t as shitty as AVGN made to be. There is a reason why it is highly collectible and there are games released till this day.

The project is the result of Sumo’s talent development programme, which focuses on providing more routes into the games industry, with the team receiving guidance from the developers who worked on the original.

Half of Secret Mode’s revenue from Zool Redimensioned will go back to the Sumo Digital Academy, to support further student initiatives.
I kinda like this idea where new devs take some old forgotten game and do a modern remake as a way of cutting their teeth.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Like... every. Single. Fucking. Amiga. Game.
Yeah, that Nintendo Hard trope was clearly baptized by Americans. Amiga Hard would be more accurate.

It’d be interesting to know how many people actually completed games on the Amiga.

Top Bottom