• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1990s gaming mascot Zool to return in ‘Zool Redimensioned’

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
AgileSilentCopperbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

This scared the shit out of me when i was like 5 years old. I remember bursting into tears and being scared of that memory for years.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
lxYeRk.gif

Wow. I thought that kind of marketing died with the 2600.
It kind of peaked in the early-mid 90s, actually, with stuff like Cool Spot, Chester Cheetah Cheese Cat-astrophe, Chex Quest, Pepsiman, McDonald's Treasure Land...

Not all those games are bad, mind you, but Zool was pretty mediocre.

Last edited:
My brother had this game for SNES. It was way too difficult for me. I don't think I ever got to the second world. I always thought the music was pretty cool though. I doubt there's much demand for a remaster.

demonstr8

Since it came out?

FQH4005.png
Hmm, I doubt don't that the game has it's fans but when the reviews used as evidence to claim it received critical acclaim consists only of reviews from magazines that exist solely to promote the platform the game is exclusive to I have to take it with a grain of salt. Same goes for Nintendo Power and Playstation... whatever doing the same thing.

Of all the 90s mascots, I do not remember who the fuck this is.

Between

Earthworm Jim
Crash
Sonic
Mario
Gex
Megaman
Dk
Ryu

I don't know this fool
it's one of those failed mascots trying to be Sonic, like Bubsy, Aero the Acrobat or Gex mixed with being a british thing (i guess trying to be the Amiga's Sonic) yeah i get why, i only know Zool from retro game reviewers like the AVGN...

it's one of those failed mascots trying to be Sonic, like Bubsy, Aero the Acrobat or Gex mixed with being a british thing (i guess trying to be the Amiga's Sonic) yeah i get why, i only know Zool from retro game reviewers like the AVGN...
Gex is nothing like Sonic lol?

I'd argue Bubsy plays better than Zool, I think Zool is only fast because he is a Ninja, I'm not even sure it's trying to he a Sonic clone, just people make the comparison because he's fast.

Zool actually released close to Sonic predating nearly all the clones so I think it's just a coincidence Zool is fast not that it matters the game is terrible.

Gex is nothing like Sonic lol?

I'd argue Bubsy plays better than Zool, I think Zool is only fast because he is a Ninja, I'm not even sure it's trying to he a Sonic clone, just people make the comparison because he's fast.

Zool actually released close to Sonic predating nearly all the clones so I think it's just a coincidence Zool is fast not that it matters the game is terrible.
it was literaly advertised as a "Sonic Killer" though..

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
It was listed as a sonic killer in terms of speed the game ran at only. Never anything else.

US Gold almost got conversion rights to Sonic for the Amiga but SEGA pulled out toward the end of negotiations.

daTRUballin

This of all things gets a modern reboot while Banjo, Kazooie, and Conker continue to lay in their coffins.

There is no justice in this world.

This of all things gets a modern reboot while Banjo, Kazooie, and Conker continue to lay in their coffins.

There is no justice in this world.
Banjo Kazooie is one thing.

Also Zool is a cheap 2D game lol, you're talking about games that used to be big graphical pushers on the console they were on, in 3D.

daTRUballin

Banjo Kazooie is one thing.

Also Zool is a cheap 2D game lol, you're talking about games that used to be big graphical pushers on the console they were on, in 3D.
Then all the more reason to actually do something useful with these IPs, no? I didn't even know what the fuck Zool was before clicking on this thread. Meanwhile, you have people asking for sequels to the IPs I mentioned for 20 years and no dice.

Top Bottom