• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

17 months after launch, Xbox Series X/S is on track to outsell Xbox 360

"By comparison, the Xbox 360 had sold 9.38 million units after 17 months on the market. The 360 didn't reach the 10 million units sold mark until its 19th month, and it wasn't until the 360 had been on shelves for 26 months until it reached the sales number currently held by the Series X|S.

Why does any of this matter? While the 360's successor, the Xbox One, is now seen as a misstep by Microsoft thanks to its less-than-stellar reveal and messaging that was seen as "anti-gamer," the Xbox 360 was an important success for Microsoft that resonated with the more than 85 million gamers who wound up buying the system. The Series X|S represents a return to form and a chance for the company to redeem itself for its 8th generation mistakes, at least in the eyes of gamers. This is why so much attention is being paid to these sales figures."

Nah I mean compared to the timescale of 360 / Series X-S.
So at the 17 month mark etc
Here is what i got by doing a search for it

Worldwide:
  • 24 hours: 1 million units sold
  • 18 days: 2 million units sold
  • December 31, 2013: 3 million sold/3.9 million shipped
  • April 17, 2014: 5 million units shipped
  • October 2014: Nearing 10 million shipped
  • January 2016: approximately 18 million activated

Kokoloko85

If the numbers are near accurate it’ll defo hit 85m lifetime IMO. Sony will be close to or will hit 120m again. Everyone wins and free reach arounds for everyone on GAF.

I think with stock issues and stuff both will hit 10-15 million less. But thats me nitpicking.
Atm with stock I doubt PS5 will hit 100million if they wanna have a short generation

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
yeah, vgcharts isn’t a great source. But, if it is outselling the 360 then that is amazing.

Series being the fastest selling Xbox console is not into question at all, we've known that since the beginning of the year.

VGChartz is only stating the obvious here.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Series being the fastest selling Xbox console is not into question at all, we've known that since the beginning of the year.

VGChartz is only stating the obvious here.

unreal. Good on MS The series consoles are the best they’ve made.

ethomaz

Banned
I literally linked you to a tweet and article with data that shows it's selling faster than X360 since January.
I never disputed it is selling more than 360.
There is the claim that is true.

"at this point... sold more of this generation of Xboxes, which is Xbox Series X and S, than we had any previous version of Xboxes."

But not data.
If you go read the claim you will understand that Series was at least over all others Xbox in sales after 13 month already... that makes the OP claim even more innacurate.

Last edited:

adamsapple

"at this point... sold more of this generation of Xboxes, which is Xbox Series X and S, than we had any previous version of Xboxes."

But not data.

MS hasn't announced hardware sales in almost a decade now. You won't find the exact unit count into the tens that you're looking for anywhere on an official level.

Last edited:
what is the total in the US so far for xbox series? this is an easy way to know how much its actually at worldwide. if xbox series is to sell more than xbox 360, it will probably need to sell 50m units in the US alone.

MrA

Banned
Outpacing the 360 is great since the 360 was a hit from day 1, but the 360 had a second life with kinect, it will have to have a nice long life to top it long term

adamsapple

Outpacing the 360 is great since the 360 was a hit from day 1, but the 360 had a second life with kinect, it will have to have a nice long life to top it long term

Dropping Series S to $199 should give it that second life in a year or two.

Keep in mind the majority of PS2's sales also happened around or after when they started dropping it's price to $200

SLB1904

Banned
it blows my mind people trying to make VGChartz a thing, even tho everyone knows shit is inaccurate as hell

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Great news for Xbox. I'm glad it's selling so well even though production has been constrained. Xbox deserves to sell well they have been doing everything right and I've been SO happy with my Series X, Game Pass and Xbox first party.
Yep, by far the best Xbox. I am still salty about VR, but I have PC and there are VR games on GP PC, so I guess it will do.

We know from more reputable sources that it was over 12 million January this year, not surprising if it's reached ~2 million more since then.

It might even be higher than VGChartz's estimate.

Since we’re quoting Zhuge….

Microsoft: either shit or get off the pot. Post your actual console numbers and stop relying on inaccurate 3rd party data for publicity.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
I never disputed it is selling more than 360.

But not data.
If you go read the claim you will understand that Series was at least over all others Xbox in sales after 13 month already... that makes the OP claim even more innacurate.
my gosh etho accept it it selling good this gen is not even close to what was PS4 vs Xbo......they will end LOT closer

Last edited:
This is so sketchy and confusing. Microsoft doesn't provide official sold-through numbers themselves, and this very forum (among many others) have questioned VGChartz's credibility multiple times in the past for sometimes having "not quite right" estimates...yet now they are somehow verified as an accurate website by Aaron Greenburg retweeting them on providing numbers based on estimates that on MS's end are based on sold-in (to retailers) because Microsoft does not provide sold-through numbers of their own?

But...Aaron works for Microsoft so he would know the actual sold-through numbers? And if he's retweeting VGChartz's numbers then shouldn't Microsoft themselves also provide official numbers of sold-through globally, or are they afraid that will set people to expect them to do so regularly going forward? At the same time, if the Series systems are really tracking ahead sold-through over 360, wouldn't you as a corporation feel good enough about that and future projected sales to just put the numbers out there officially to shut down any doubts for good?

Other than that, I'm not going to pretend Series aren't doing well. However I think all of these claims come with some big grains of salt. IIRC the 360 was also supply-constrained for a bit and it took a little bit for supply to start catching up with demand (which was ever-growing over the months and then really picked up when Halo 3, Gears, Mass Effect, etc. were shown and about to be released combined with Sony's E3 disaster for PS3). And IMHO; if 360 had supply to match demand in its first 17 months, I think the numbers would be to the effect where Series would not be trending ahead of it sales-wise. 360's early library from 2005 - 2007 just looked a lot stronger on the 1P & 3P AAA side compared to what Series have had, for what's been released so far. Not to mention, 360 also had a cheaper model (with the same specs processing-wise) and an arguably bigger UI/OS/online services impact as well.

I'm glad Series are selling well this gen so far (though I wish the ratio was in favor of Series X vs. Series S), but I've also seen some people, mainly content creators, try to play this up as some massive momentum shift that will be longer-term, particularly at the detriment of PS5. Which realistically speaking, will simply not be the case unless Sony just outright fails to increase supply for another year or two. Otherwise I think what we're seeing is a reflect mainly driven by supply; that's for BOTH Xbox and PlayStation tbh but outside of the U.S and maybe the U.K, global demand for PlayStation is just magnitudes higher and that shouldn't be a controversial statement.

If supply for PS5 were able to meet demand, I actually don't think Series sales would suffer too much (especially if many are Series X units), and could actually see further increases. However I don't think you see any gap closing and potentially a gap widening somewhat in PS5's favor would be the likely outcome. Honestly tho this has nothing really to do with what I think sales would look like with supply normalized to satisfy demand or whatever; it's about Aaron quote-tweeting sales estimates from a website that hasn't exactly been totally right multiple times in the past, when he could just also officially state what actual sold-through numbers for Series are globally especially if it's trending this far ahead of 360 (allegedly).

Mr Moose

That's like 12 years ago...

Sites improve or get worst in some cases.

I would imagine that someone like Aaron Greenberg knows how many series consoles have been sold.

giving them era vibes, when they are on that twitter cancel witch hunt from decade old tweets, not a good look ;)
They were shit then, they are shit now.
On the hardware front we continue to produce weekly estimates, based on retail sampling and trends in individual countries, which are then extrapolated to represent the wider region. This typically allows us to produce figures that end up being within 10% of the actual totals.

Top Bottom