• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Year Old British Boy Wins £1m/$1.25m in Fortnite World Cup Tournament

Kazza

A British teenager has won $1.25m (£1m) by coming second in the first Fortnite World Cup in New York on Saturday.

Jaden Ashman, 15, who competes under the name Wolfiez, was placed second alongside his Dutch teammate Dave Jong, 21, in a duos round of the battle royal-style shooting game that has more than 250 million players worldwide.

A millionaire at 15 for playing computer games! The 15 year old me would be absolutely blown away by the idea. Of course, as with any sport, only the top 0.1% even have a chance of winning this kind of money.

His mother, Lisa Dallman, from Essex, told the BBC that she and her son “had a nightmare” arguing over his online gaming, because she wanted him to spend more time on schoolwork.

She admitted to having thrown away an Xbox in the past but now accepted his choice to compete professionally.

I bet she's accepted it after he won £1m! I wonder if he legally gets control of the money, or does he have to wait until he's 16 or 18.

It must be harder to stop your kids playing games instead of doing their homework nowadays "But mum, I'm not just playing about, I'm training to win the £1m prize"

bobone

Its a cool time for the industry for sure. I'll never understand the appeal of Fortnite, but its impact on the industry is unquestionable.

I'm very curious how long your "career" will be as a pro gamer; seems even shorter lived than pro sports.
So you should probably still do your homework and stuff.

nikolino840

It must be harder to stop your kids playing games instead of doing their homework nowadays "But mum, I'm not just playing about, I'm training to win the £1m prize"

In fact..happen this:

With Dad’s support, one teen is playing ‘Fortnite’ instead of going to high school

Last edited:

keraj37

Sweet, now he can finally afford a 50 square meter council house conversion flat in London!

Well said, but he is a millionaire isn't he? People don't realize that 1 million pounds or us dollars has lost its value against real assets during last decades dramatically. One million is just enough to buy a modest house or a small flat in London.

And that is it! So yeah, better keep doing your homework pal!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I'm totally good with gamers being payed to play video games, sure he deserves this money right now, and obviously the age issue will be a tricky situation if you eventually want to get into the top competitive spots in the world (Sports, chess etc.)

CeeJay

Well said, but he is a millionaire isn't he? People don't realize that 1 million pounds or us dollars has lost its value against real assets during last decades dramatically. One million is just enough to buy a modest house or a small flat in London.

And that is it! So yeah, better keep doing your homework pal!
Yeah, but that is without a mortgage for the next 25+ years of his life. He may not be absolutely set for life but who would say that kind of headstart is anything but an amazing gift from his hard worked talents. It's also amazing for gaming in general that it has gone from tournaments in shitty venues with shitty prizes to multimillion top prizes in such a short space of time. Congrats.

MMaRsu

Banned
Not really something new except the prize money is so much bigger

Knew a guy who was flown to the us for Halo 3 tourneys and even quit middle school and made a bit of money doing that

Ornlu

Banned
Its a cool time for the industry for sure. I'll never understand the appeal of Fortnite, but its impact on the industry is unquestionable.

I'm very curious how long your "career" will be as a pro gamer; seems even shorter lived than pro sports.
So you should probably still do your homework and stuff.

Pro gamers typically peak around 19-22. You rarely see anyone in their 30's, and if you do, they are on the way out.

Most athletic sports have a 5-10 year "shelf life". As games get more competitive, you will see it more and more there as well, though the reasons and injuries will be different.

Lucumo

Looking at the results, it was apparently $2.250.000 for both of them, so $1.125.000 for each of them (tax excluded). Math is hard, apparently. Also, first place winners are 16 and 17 years old and got $1.500.000 each. Age average for the duo tournament was apparently 16 years...which obviously isn't surprising. Though, I guess it's a good marketing tool for them to get even more young players.

Top Bottom