• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 Hardest Sega Genesis/Megadrive Games of All time!

I'm just happy Gaiares got a shout-out. Hard as balls, but incredible shmup especially considering it was so early in Genesis/MegaDrive's lifecycle.

Also...where's Castlevania: Bloodlines? That game's got some devilish back half to play through (even so can't help but appreciate its creativity and polish).

Last edited:

MSX.

Banned
I didn't find Ecco the Dolphin hard.
Dick Tracy was hard, level 6B can take a run and jump. Still have night sweats thinking about 6B.

SkylineRKR

I beat 3 of them.

Comix Zone, which is really difficult but once you memorize it the game becomes a cakewalk since its like 20 minutes long or something.
SoR3, hardest SoR but not a hard game per se. The easiest on that list probably
Contra, the number one? Let me tell you I can't even beat the second level of Batman but I did beat Contra.

Ecco I could never beat either. Didn't even understand what to do. Dynamite Headdy is also extremely difficult. And I would say Gunstar Heroes is harder than Contra. Alien Soldier is extremely hard too. Also Revenge of Shinobi is hard, I could beat it on Mini with save states but otherwise not.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I always thought Ghouls/ghost Goblin games were easy. Every shooter I played wasn't hard either once you learn the patterns and know which weapons are OP.

Personally, I thought Target Earth was literally impossible unless you did the invincible cheat. I got to the reactor core level (I think level 4 of 8) and never got past that boss. I wonder how many people beat that game legit without the cheat code.

And Batman & Robin seemed oddly hard too. Only rented it, but could tell it was a slog.

MUSHA was easy. OP weapons, especially if you max out the blue weapon.

Last edited:

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
The amount of rage playing Comix Zone and Lion King and Aladdin as a kid..... Not to mention how crazy Ranger X got in it's later levels. I remember playing Batman Forever and raging hard. Years later to find out that the game had awful I out lag and just plain terrible controls...Gameshark saved me so much money on controllers.

That Monkey game, Jojo or Mojo, don't recall and Bevis and Buthead.
Beavis and Butt-head was tough, mostly because the game was incredibly unfair and playing coop made it harder. Ren and Stimpy was a better game anyways.

Last edited:
I'm doing a playthrough of the Contra series right now and am going through Hard Corps. It's pretty damn tough I'll admit even by Contra standards, but most of it comes down to just learning boss attack patterns and stumbling on ways to cheese them (the hacker guy who turns into a tank for example, you can just hug the wall on the left and crouch while shooting with the spreadshot and he can't hit you).

I've beaten a few of these games (Phantasy Star, Shinobi, SoR3) so I guess I am a pro gamer. Go me.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Never had issues with streets of rage 3 even as a kid

The original X-MEN game was made by assholes holy shit that was hard

farmerboy

pramod pramod Hellfire. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a long time. Beat it, but can't remember if there were different difficulties. What a great game.

Jesus what a dumb list.

MUSHA? Compile shmups are among the easiest in the genre.
Shadow Dancer at 10? :LOL: Most people can beat that game in less than a day. It's the easiest Shinobi game.
No Ghouls n Ghosts? No Hellfire? No Truxton?
I don't know about the others, but I always felt Ghouls n Ghost was kind of a push over.

Musha is just long. Gaiares has always been hard to me (never been able to finish it)... and it's a great showcase for the old Genesis.

pramod

Banned
I beat 3 of them.

Comix Zone, which is really difficult but once you memorize it the game becomes a cakewalk since its like 20 minutes long or something.
SoR3, hardest SoR but not a hard game per se. The easiest on that list probably
Contra, the number one? Let me tell you I can't even beat the second level of Batman but I did beat Contra.

Ecco I could never beat either. Didn't even understand what to do. Dynamite Headdy is also extremely difficult. And I would say Gunstar Heroes is harder than Contra. Alien Soldier is extremely hard too. Also Revenge of Shinobi is hard, I could beat it on Mini with save states but otherwise not.
Contra Hard Corps is in some ways the easiest Contra. If you use Brownie you can easily 1cc the game if you just abuse the slide technique.
Agree with Gunstar Heroes, it's a pretty hard game. Alien Soldier is a bit easier, I did manage to beat it.

Last edited:

dave_d

Yeah, the people who say that game is hard don't understand it, they try to play it like a regular run-n-gun like Contra. It's more like a strategy game.
I don't know. I could get all the way to the very last part. (I think if you took your time your health regenerated) That being said it was the last fight that I'd die at if I didn't use invincibility.

nkarafo

Comix Zone is pretty easy if you know where to use your items. It's a bit of trial and error but the game is so short, this isn't a problem.

Krizalidx11

Banned
72154-insector-x-genesis-front-cover.jpg

SkylineRKR

Comix Zone is pretty easy if you know where to use your items. It's a bit of trial and error but the game is so short, this isn't a problem.

The game has rather extensive combo mechanics and I felt it was easier with 6 button pad. Its a brawler, a pretty good one actually. But not many encounters so eventually you know the matchups and the best route to take.

Top Bottom