• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14 minutes of Gears 5 horde escape gameplay

Now I know why they didn't bother to show gameplay during the press conference. Looks like same old Gears. Same weapons, same animations, same gameplay. Lots of empty moments in this, seems to lack intensity and diversity. Maybe it's just me but this footage is very disappointing

***Edit****. New video, a bit better. More action and dev narration.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it so fucking awesome they might just call it gears 6 for all i care

MastAndo

Gold Member
I'm guessing they decided to cut this at the last minute, possibly along with something else which is why the presentation wasn't 2 hours, as they said it would be. It doesn't look bad, per se, just more of the same and not really presentation material.

I’m a sucker for Gears horde mode. I can’t argue with the OPs critiques but I’m still all-in on Day One
So am I and with Gamepass def day 1, but man so much wasted potential by making this so samey. I would have really liked to see a new dismemberment system and injury system similar to what we're seeing in the upcoming new ghost recon. Also, during the press conference I thought this mode wood be filled with enemies all around you but instead we're seeing four or five enemies at a time . I also don't like how in this video they are teleporting to cover instead of adding a transition animation to make it look more realistic but here's to hoping they clean everything up by launch.

Check out 2nd vid added to first post. A bit better than first vid. I spotted a new cryo weapon and shield. I like that players can make their own hives and share them with the community for challenge

Evilms

Banned
image_gears_5-40422-4098_0001.jpg

image_gears_5-40420-4098_0001.jpg

image_gears_5-40420-4098_0003.jpg

image_gears_5-40420-4098_0002.jpg

image_gears_5-40424-4098_0001.jpg

Last edited:

The Skull

I love gears but this looks so underwhelming and after the complete disappointment Gears 4 was, I can't see them doing anything remotely interesting or taking any risks with the set up from Gears 4. I predict Kait will come close to becoming the new locust queen but then will snap back and beat the enemies.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't care at all about Gears MP. I can't believe they didn't show and SP gameplay.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
People were complaining about the MS Event not having gameplay when literally not 2 hours later we get this.

Would you guys have preferred sitting through this during the conference?

HE1NZ

Banned
It seems like Microsoft demoted Gears franchise from AAA. Release date is just three months away, yet no gameplay shown. Marketing focused on story and female protagonist, something no Gears fan cares. Looks like all around cheap and unimportant game.

dorkimoe

People were complaining about the MS Event not having gameplay when literally not 2 hours later we get this.

This was my exact thought when I saw complaining. Remember when they would play call of duty on stage. Kill me

II_JumPeR_I

Yeah it looks really rough and outdated. I wish they would move on from this terrible stiff animations already... still this ugly butt cam sprint animation etc..

It's hard for me to fathom how they can mess this up so badly. They have the budget and support, how has no one at Coalition talked about improving the core mechanics? Gears 4 looked better than this in terms of animation, fluidity, and new mechanics

DanielsM

Banned
I loved GoW1 and GoW2, still loved Gow3 despite me not like them basically going to an action adventure game through the series, heck, I even liked GoWJ. I've never played GoW4 but parts of it looked interesting.

It's hard for me to fathom how they can mess this up so badly. They have the budget and support, how has no one at Coalition talked about improving the core mechanics? Gears 4 looked better than this in terms of animation, fluidity, and new mechanics

Yeah, I've never played GoW4 but all the videos I've seen look much much better than this. Its all wrong at this point.

One of my all-time favorite series.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Yep. I much prefer the trailer method for the announcements on stage, and then dropping the video later like this.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
When it comes to onslaught modes, Gear's Hoard mode is right up there with the best.

Shmunter

Gears what? Who’s the babe in the blue dress?

Edit: op has changed the video, babe no longer there. Footage no longer compelling

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
The whole point is that if you change it too much it no longer becomes gears. You can only improve the visual look, and there’s not so far that can be pushed on these ancient specs (don’t forget this has to run on an S).

So, maybe Gears 6 will blow your socks off, visually. I see no reason for it not to do so. But even then... it still needs to look and play like gears.

But I do see the complaints about it being the same thing again. I’m sure if the last of us makes it to number 5 people will say the same thing. The truth is, it may look and play the same... but that’s a good thing. These games are about intense fire fights and fun. And this looks like that. Gears 4 was for me personally very disappointing. So I’m hoping this has some of that gears 1 vibe back.

GymWolf

Looks like a free update for Gears 4.

Except its $60 and coming out years later.

Zero advancement in mechanics, animations or tech.

The Coalition and 343 trading blows for most boring first party developers.
Yeah, i can't get over the fact that gears 5 looks like gears 1 with better graphics...
Same animation. Same shooting, same enemy reaction, etc.

I sincerely hope that the campaign can change my mind but i have almost no trust in this...

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Gears of War is with Halo what really makes me buy an Xbox every time. However after this video all I can say is

aba.gif

There's so many places where you just run around with no enemies. Like what the hell?

Mista

Banned
Don’t shit on something good because you don’t like it. I don’t like Horde modes too but what the hell are you lot on about? I saw the footage expecting garbage from your reactions and was amazed by how the game looks. So what are you actually complaining about?!

Sacred

Don’t shit on something good because you don’t like it. I don’t like Horde modes too but what the hell are you lot on about? I saw the footage expecting garbage from your reactions and was amazed by how the game looks. So what are you actually complaining about?!

I don't understand what people expect, when they change up the formula it's "they ruined it why couldn't they just leave the core gameplay alone. Now it's "it's the same thing everytime they need to redo the core gameplay and give us something new."

Mista

Banned
I don't understand what people expect, when they change up the formula it's "they ruined it why couldn't they just leave the core gameplay alone. Now it's "it's the same thing everytime they need to redo the core gameplay and give us something new."
I don't know what to say anymore mate🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm pretty sure even before Gears 4 came out people were already saying the formula was tired. Then it released and yea.... it was tired.

So... now they are just doing it again. Do you want this series released annually with a roster update? Is that your idea of a sequel?

They haven't attempted anything resembling a refinement of mechanics, advancing their animation system, or seemingly trying anything you could call new. People are down on this because it looks like just another weekend update to Gears 4. The only "new" mechanic is continuous melee swings which looked pretty damn bad the way it was implemented. Thats about as exciting as the slide kick over cover mechanic from Gears 4. Shits weak, try harder Coalition.

Things like:
Add destructible and dynamic cover. Destructible environments period.
Drop roadie running. Its kind of dumb in concept and in balancing what should be bad in this game (running cover to cover). Make players run upright when they decide to be so bold.
Try some new movement and dodge options besides just the roll.
The game should refocus to be about positioning in cover and go back to basics.
Less spam weapons. Each release adds more shit.
Finally.... kill wall bouncing and having your ass gravitate to walls from 5+ feet away. Require player input into general direction to continue into cover once pressed.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I have no interest in Gears gameplay, story, premise, IP.

So you enter a thread about Gears of War?

Kinda like a bigot that hates Gay people going to a bar just to tell the Bar tender "I hate Gay people"
But to each his own i guess.

On Topic
If the mode catches on ill be in the mode quite a bit.
My main beef with Gears 4 horde was the slow slow early rounds (cept Frenzy that was my shit).
If 2 people play aggressive early on....you are effectively just a spectator(I forgive engineers though). Then the later rounds its full on defensive and you end up feeling like the fish in the saying Fish in a Barrel.

This mode is about pushing forward and being aggressive through out....8 level of difficulty plus mods, I could see this game mode being the mode I use to wet my beak when I just need 20 minutes of carnage before going into PvP or the story mode..

Top Bottom