• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim shipments and digital sales top 400,000

Astorian

Total shipments and digital sales for 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim have surpassed 400,000 units worldwide as of March 12, publisher Atlus and developer Vanillaware announced.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim launched for PlayStation 4 in November 2019 in Japan and in September 2020 worldwide.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
This is the main thing that kept coming up in GOTY discussions that I'm now super interested in, because apparently the story is bananas. I really don't fancy playing a visual novel on a 65" TV though, shame it probably won't make it to Switch/PC right?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
best-bag-o-burgers-ever.jpg

Graciaus

This is the main thing that kept coming up in GOTY discussions that I'm now super interested in, because apparently the story is bananas. I really don't fancy playing a visual novel on a 65" TV though, shame it probably won't make it to Switch/PC right?
Going off Vanillaware's past probably not. Which is disappointing.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
This is a game which i will say buy it.
Dont need to question what is it about, what kind of game is it?

Just buy it and play it because it is freaking damn good one of a kind of game.
Fuck it, why not? Got a copy on ebay for 40 bucks new. It looks strange and different. Something to play on the PS5.

mejin

this is actually really good numbers. It's more like a VN with an ugly combat system. Although I loved it, it's pretty much clear this is a hard sell.

And one more thing this is a completely different game compared to previous classics of Vanillaware like Odin Sphere or Muramasa.

Elios83

I did my part, I platinumed it recently and it's a great game although at times it's too convoluted and there are so many characters that is difficult to track and remember all the details of all the stories.
In any case more people should support these games.

Last edited:

Deft Beck

More people should play this game but it's stuck on the PS4 and Vanillaware is too small to release a game on multiple platforms at once.

I feel those are very solid numbers for a niche game from a small company. I haven’t played the game yet and would really like to, but I’m going to be brutally honest here. I really don’t see the game selling near as well on PC, not good at all on XBOX, but it might perform ok on Switch though. I think this type of game appeals to the PlayStation demographic the most and they probably knew that.

Faithless83

Banned
The game is good but its story is on another level. A love letter to scifi fans out there.
This game story should be a study case on how to tell a multi protagonist complex story, and make sense in the end.
For me, it solidified Vanillaware as currently the only "pre order from these guys" studio in my book.
Easy platinum too, for those of you into trophies.

Thank you so much Danjin44 Danjin44 for the OP and on selling me on this game!

Wish it wasn't such a pain to find a physical copy where I live. Need to have a sealed copy of it.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
A lot of people in this thread seem to be coming up with weird excuses not to play it. How is your TV being too big a problem?

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
A lot of people in this thread seem to be coming up with weird excuses not to play it. How is your TV being too big a problem?

I'll play it on PS5 if I have to, but for a game that, from what I've heard everywhere, is basically a VN, I really don't need it to be on a 65" OLED. Would you read a book on a 65" TV? Switch would be more suited to me, or at least my PC where I can scale it down.

Last edited:

linkent

Fuck it, why not? Got a copy on ebay for 40 bucks new. It looks strange and different. Something to play on the PS5.
Nice! you will enjoy it!
I'll play it on PS5 if I have to, but for a game that, from what I've heard everywhere, is basically a VN, I really don't need it to be on a 65" OLED. Would you read a book on a 65" TV? Switch would be more suited to me, or at least my PC where I can scale it down.
Story aside, Like all vanillaware games, the style is great to look at on large TV.
The gameplay part also have many small particles blowing up.

It is not just reading a book on TV, but it is more like playing click and point adventure.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: AV

Spaceman292

Banned
I'm not following the logic, honestly. Do you have a rule against reading text on a big screen? Anyway, it's still a gorgeous eye-popping vanillaware game with a booming soundtrack. Playing it on a tiny screen would detract from it.

Clarissa

Banned
I'm not following the logic, honestly. Do you have a rule against reading text on a big screen? Anyway, it's still a gorgeous eye-popping vanillaware game with a booming soundtrack. Playing it on a tiny screen would detract from it.
Exactly. And I think it's impossible to play the battle part portable on the switch. It will be very difficult.

AV

Not a rule against, hence I'll still play it on PS5, but if I had the choice to play on Switch (or PC with a smaller window) for a game where I'm mostly be reading a lot of text I would. I stare at a 55" screen for work all day, if I can avoid staring at a 65" screen to read, I will. Like I said, you wouldn't read a book on a TV. And the visual style looks good, but again isn't something I need on a screen that big. It looks nice, but come on, it's a VN. Different strokes for different folks, I own all these different devices for a reason.

Spaceman292

Banned
Not a rule against, hence I'll still play it on PS5, but if I had the choice to play on Switch (or PC with a smaller window) for a game where I'm mostly be reading a lot of text I would. I stare at a 55" screen for work all day, if I can avoid staring at a 65" screen to read, I will. Like I said, you wouldn't read a book on a TV. And the visual style looks good, but again isn't something I need on a screen that big. It looks nice, but come on, it's a VN. Different strokes for different folks, I own all these different devices for a reason.
You wouldn't read a book (although there's no reason why you couldn't) but you would watch a movie with subtitles. Also remember that this game has full English voice acting.

Faithless83

Banned
Switch crowd is having their third party games experience for the first time in years.
They just think everything needs to be on switch now.

Funny how it was "we only need Nintendo games" in the past though. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

AV

You wouldn't read a book (although there's no reason why you couldn't) but you would watch a movie with subtitles. Also remember that this game has full English voice acting.

Sure, but probably not 2-3 subtitled movies back-to-back per session for that exact reason - my eyes would start hurting from staring at text for that long on a screen. Anyway. Voice acting and nice visuals is enough, I do still want to play it, the argument was only ever that I'd prefer it on a Switch/PC.

Faithless83

Banned
Sure, but probably not 2-3 subtitled movies back-to-back per session for that exact reason - my eyes would start hurting from staring at text for that long on a screen. Anyway. Voice acting and nice visuals is enough, I do still want to play it, the argument was only ever that I'd prefer it on a Switch/PC.
The game is structured in 15~20 minutes bursts. You should be fine.
It started as a late night game for me, but soon I started to "binge" through it out of curiosity, as the story is engaging.
So it's something to keep in mind.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: AV

Shai-Tan

Banned
This is a game which i will say buy it.
Dont need to question what is it about, what kind of game is it?

Just buy it and play it because it is freaking damn good one of a kind of game.
Ok

edit: is there anything wrong with playing it on OG ps4? I already gave away my ps4 pro

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The game is structured in 15~20 minutes bursts. You should be fine.
It started as a late night game for me, but soon I started to "binge" through it out of curiosity, as the story is engaging.
So it's something to keep in mind.
The best thing about this is once you done the prologue you can pace this game however you want, the way this game is structured you approach it however you want.

Last edited:

Reave

Finished it a few months ago. The gushing about this game is so overblown. It’s an okay game with a silly and weirdly told story that doesn’t pay off.

Top Bottom