• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim |OT| It feels chilly inside the cockpit!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just got through prologue and the stuff introduced there was insane, can't wait to continue playing through the story. Confused about remembrance mode, can I just do all the story stuff in one go and then do the battle or will the game force me to switch between both?
You need also do the battles, some story section will blocked off unless you finish a part of the combat section. The way I played the game is I tried to match the percentage of remembrance mode and Destruction mode. Also remember often check Analysis section whenever you finish one of the character chapters or done of the wave in Destruction mode.

lachesis

Just finished the game all 100%. 4th battle area has unlocked, but not sure if it adds anything to the story, but most likely just some extra stages?
I will give them a go when I get a chance.

What do I say... I quite liked the game and story. Lots of subtle homages to a lot of things that I grew up in 80s and also many different sci-fi fictions mashed together, and came out clean in the end. But throughout the whole process - while I remembered main branch of the story, I started to forget some of the earlier things that happened. (being old..) - but I am super impressed how far the story tries to cover every thing not uncovered. And by doing so, like many of Vanillaware games, they just wrap-up the game way to neat, leaving little to the imagination nor any hope for a sequel, or any meaningful post-game enjoyment other than going over and reviewing its story again. I felt quite sad to come to an ending to this game to be honest... as it was truly something special.

WAT91FH.jpg

Anyhow... the character Miyuki Inaba - while it's a obvious homage to Lynn Minmay from Macross (love the song that Inaba sings btw) - but her appearance is very much from Creamy Mami, one of the Studio Pierrot's earlier hit anime series. Her true identity was a bit of surprise, but also very much an aha moment (from my earlier posts on some Japanese folk story of certain hare of being the connector of true love) ;) I wonder how much of those moment will present as I watch the whole events in chronological order?

Nenji - the character who looks like from Be Bop Highschool drama - is my favorite one as well. Most likeable, and I also enjoyed his groundhog days. His ending scene with certain rival(?) character really made me chuckle good. LOL I guess he's the luckiest one. :)

K0Q8i8e.jpg

Most of the characters start their remembrance in similar as the movie Groundhog day, (not as strictly or apparent like Nenji's storyline)- it was actually quite helpful to remember what happened last time. I think it was very nice touch to reinforce some stability/ground to start the character's storyline - as Miura looking at the sunset, or Shinonome waking up from the Nurse's office - or mundane classroom scene of Juro after class...

Only thing that I have issue with the storytelling was that while it "felt" like I was making the choice - it was actually pre-planned to access certain storyline, by obtaining certain keywords or meeting certain choices, laid plainly in the storytelling diagram. That type of branching in certain characters felt little uninspired... and some characters had just little too linear. Ones that I enjoyed the most, the story structure part at least - was Takamiya and Shinonome.

Also while the 2D artwork is incredibly beautiful to look at - the interaction points are just far too little and simple - wish I was able to interact with more things in each settings. Of course, since the game is fully voiced - asking for anything more than what's available in the game is asking too much... but would have loved a little more effort to "investigate" the situation and all.... say a bit more of challenge? Some sort of puzzle elements, other than timing of certain characters to appear on screen, etc?

While something very side-quest-ish like thing is there like Hijiyama's quest to follow "lucky" and get some coins and enjoying his Soda/Juice and most of all, Yakisoba Pan, which probably isn't necessary to move the story forward... but I appreciated them putting those in there and wished a bit more of those peppered throughout. Also... maybe a little bit more of flare to take advantage of the power of PS4. I mean, this would have no problem running on PS2, or even on PS1 for that matter! :D I did manage slow-down the whole battle scene with multiple "missile rain" and 32 intercepters all flying around... it was chaotic and beautiful at the same time, I have to admit.

I know I'm being overly harsh on the game - but I do believe Vanillaware pull off something incredible on this game. It's definitely a niche oriented game, and RTS part could use more visual flare (even something like Super Robot Wars type icons and cut-ins would have been nice) - but I what is present here is a "miracle in small scale", I think. :) I'm sure I'll be thinking about the story for the next few days at least. Great voice acting throughout, as well as superb music.

wcyTLLZ.jpg

Made Hemborger in the memory of Miura the other day. :D If I have to debate between Yakisoba Pan vs Hemborger... I would have to side with Miura, obviously. LOL...

And during the ending when
Juro finally wakes up in the end from the pod, staring naked Yakushiji who's been waiting for Juro to wake up w/o dressing up, all gooing and talking about "oh, I can finally touch your skin" lovey dovey thing...

and he thinks "I know what I have to do now".... and I thought "it's gonn be gud" -

but then he says "we are going to LIVE" in a stern voice.

Huh? No! Repopulate as much as you can, idiot! Everyone's already gone outside! He was talking about puberty hormone thing in the game! Geeze...

Last edited:

lachesis

So, I've been playing post-game Sumire Ward. My OP (most of them around level 45-55), with each sentinels leveled up at least 20+ for each category for everyone - having not much of an issue of getting S rank 1st tries so far - have gone thru 20 some waves... and thought it would be at least 30-50 stages, but found out it has 9999 stages? LOL...

I am enjoying beating each stage, but not sure if I can go thru 9999 stages. :)

Turns out, further I get - Gen1, Gen3 and Gen4s are the most useful ones. Gen2s are... not that great. Too slow and limited range, and only good thing is their Guardian or Sentry guns - although it takes up bulk of their EPs with pretty slow recovery. For a all-round type of machine, due to its mobility and limited range for powerful attacks - they end up being the support for Gen1 and Gen4. Only Gen2 worth noting is Shinonome - that with Hyper Condenser ability learned, she can cast 2 Sentry guns. With Meta ability to re-fill your EP in right timing - you can place 8-10 Sentry guns around the perimeter, which really defends the base quite well.

Gen 1's powerful armor-ignoring melee is super important taking down the multiple big foes in a few shots, while Gen4 - their multi lock missiles are invalueable. Also the EMPs become almost necessary towards the end of the game, and also in Sumire ward. See bunch of the enemies? Charge in with EMP first before you do anything!

Gen 3's also super important for getting rid of bunch of enemies quick. Super Large Missile is one thing, but some enemies have protective purple umbrella - so needs to be EMP'ed first. I also find Missile Rain skills are pretty nice to protect large area & also incoming projectiles etc.

Gen4 - in earlier game, Gen4s are the most useful ones - since many armored ones don't take in much damage with multi-lock on missiles towards the end and Sumire Ward, I tend to use a lot of Interceptors x8 + hyper condenser. I think you can summon as many as 40 (if not 48) Intercepters, which would seek out any enemies and destroy them! It's super cool to see the tiny little green dots moving around in packs and taking down big enemies like butter, as they ignore any armors. And of course, their Leg Spikes and the mobility makes them the most useful and all-around unit. Since Yakushiji's Gen4 unit doesn't have Leg Spikes, I pair her up with Gouto - both with maxed out Intercepter abilities with Hyper condenser, maxing out the numbers... and with a couple of missile rains from Minami going on - the game seriously slows down - it really is beautiful in a chaotic way.

I thought of not much of the RTS part in the beginning - but it's pleasantly addicting in a way. Who knows? I may end up beating 9999 waves someday.. ;)

Coconutt

Finished the game and I can say this is my favorite story this year, I though Persona 5 Royal would be my favorite story this year but I enjoyed 13 Sentinels more. It's really ambitious what Vanilla has done here, telling a story with multiple main characters and it not being in chronological order, I was still able to understand the story by the end without having to analyze files. The battle system while basic I found to be very fun, I finished the story but i unlocked additional battles, is there a point in doing these?

drganon

I'm almost done with the destruction part of the game and about a third of the way through remembrance. Gotta say, this game is easily in my top five for games of the year so far.

fallingdove

Platinumed the game the other night. One of the most unique experiences I have had in the last couple of gens. Such a fantastic game.

BTW: This was also the easiest platinum I have obtained. I was somewhat shocked when the ending started rolling and the platinum popped.

Last edited:

SinDelta

At long last I have finally started this.

Both Dragons Crown and Odin's Sphere were amazing, and also far, far more massive then I thought at first.

Thoughts on 13 Sentinals so far-

I have no idea what's going on lol. Prologue certainly throws you deep into the ongoing story.

Tons of sci references. Godzilla, War of the World's, ET, Pacific Rim at least.

Graphics as usual continue to amaze. 1985 Japan is beautiful, even the school that is considered "a dump."

Character designs are sleek and modern. Can only imagine Odin Sphere in this style (outside of the remake covers artwork)

One drawback - Combat is fun, but can't help but feel it could have been more. Very jarring art style change.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Just started after getting the game. Girl lifts up skirt to reveal start button than High school girl is transported naked into robot. What have I gotten into? Is this a Japanese sexy time game?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Just started after getting the game. Girl lifts up skirt to reveal start button than High school girl is transported naked into robot. What have I gotten into? Is this a Japanese sexy time game?
I think that's the extent of it. The artist who designs everything always puts in some sex appeal. But that's not the focus of the game.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm I enjoyed Muramasa back in the day but I'm on the fence about this one. I know the graphics are gorgeous and I hear the story is good, but wondering if I would find the gameplay fun...

mekes

I had an app set to notify me when this game went on sale so I purchased it as soon as the Black Friday sale went up. I’m just nearing the end of the prologue now and really enjoying the game. It’s a nice pace so far, keeping me interested and has been great for shorter play sessions which is a must for me this year after becoming a dad.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I had an app set to notify me when this game went on sale so I purchased it as soon as the Black Friday sale went up. I’m just nearing the end of the prologue now and really enjoying the game. It’s a nice pace so far, keeping me interested and has been great for shorter play sessions which is a must for me this year after becoming a dad.
The great thing about this game’s structure is once you done the prologue you have more freedom how you do the story and the battles, you can pace the game however you want.

Last edited:

mekes

The great thing about this game’s structure is once you done the prologue yo have more freedom how you do the story and the battles, you can pace the game however you want.

Thats great to hear! I fully expect the game to switch things up on me which was one of the more interesting things I garnered from what were spoiler free but very positive reviews. But the ability to enjoy short, half hour or so play sessions has been an absolute blessing so far.

lachesis

I'm a little surprised by the popularity ranking revealed on the 1 year anniversary streaming.

RNlR1r5.jpg

I mean Shinonome? Seriously? She was way on the bottom of the list - whiny, super unfriendly, having to take the pills every few steps...
(although her storyline had more twists and more interesting investigation branches)

Sure, she is by far the one of the best character to have on the battle, mainly because of her double sentry gun ability, and apparently her Japanese VA, Saori Hayami is pretty well known...

It was pretty surprising to see Hijiyama being the #2 too. I also liked Natsuno, so I'm okay with her being #3 - but hoped Nenji (#8) would be higher, but Okino being #4.... interesting.

(And Yakisoba Pan was #30. lol)

And I approve of this: Best Start button location... Shiori Fuyusaka. :D

7hGTb5G.jpg

drganon

I'm a little surprised by the popularity ranking revealed on the 1 year anniversary streaming.

RNlR1r5.jpg

I mean Shinonome? Seriously? She was way on the bottom of the list - whiny, super unfriendly, having to take the pills every few steps...
(although her storyline had more twists and more interesting investigation branches)

Sure, she is by far the one of the best character to have on the battle, mainly because of her double sentry gun ability, and apparently her Japanese VA, Saori Hayami is pretty well known...

It was pretty surprising to see Hijiyama being the #2 too. I also liked Natsuno, so I'm okay with her being #3 - but hoped Nenji (#8) would be higher, but Okino being #4.... interesting.

(And Yakisoba Pan was #30. lol)

And I approve of this: Best Start button location... Shiori Fuyusaka. :D

7hGTb5G.jpg
Yakisoba pan will always be number one to me.

Top Bottom