• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim |OT| It feels chilly inside the cockpit!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, but the memory of it all is the reason why it is so good. Like for example, one of my favorite games of all time is Final Fantasy XIII-2 and Divinity Original Sin. I can't replay those games because I feel like they were an event in my life and re-playing them would just overwrite all the great memories.

The memory is wonderful - absolutely, and to be clear I don't think anyone is wanting to erase them - it's an expression of delight that the person is going to form their own special memories. As I said - I reckon you're just taking it too literally.

mcz117chief

The memory is wonderful - absolutely, and to be clear I don't think anyone is wanting to erase them - it's an expression of delight that the person is going to form their own special memories. As I said - I reckon you're just taking it too literally.
Perhaps, but you do understand where I am coming from, right?

mcz117chief

I actually love re-playing games that I enjoyed because I would notice small details that you didn’t notice when I played it for first time.
Yeah, I also like to replay games, but those two are very special to me and I don't want to soil my memories of the original adventure. When it comes to Final Fantasy XIII-2 though, I got the platinum so I played the game around 40+ hours after completing it to get all the extras and such. And during my playthrough of Divinity Original Sin, I used a completionist guide so that I could play all the quests and find all the interesting secrets.

Sakura

I put about 13 hours into it so far, and I'm not sure how I feel about it.
The story is kind of iffy so far, and I really don't like the way it is told. The combat is pretty boring too, I kinda wish the game didn't have it and instead they focused on more story.
Art is really good though.

Last edited:
Worked on the prologue last night, and whooooo boy, this game likes to take it's time. I don't understand why it makes the player move around like they have control, but forcing them to initiate dialogue sequences one after another. I am a little over two hours invested in this game and I'm finishing up the 5th or 6th prologue character. I've just been bored by it all. Sorry Danjin44 Danjin44

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Worked on the prologue last night, and whooooo boy, this game likes to take it's time. I don't understand why it makes the player move around like they have control, but forcing them to initiate dialogue sequences one after another. I am a little over two hours invested in this game and I'm finishing up the 5th or 6th prologue character. I've just been bored by it all. Sorry Danjin44 Danjin44
Once you finish the prologue the game open up....
13-sentinels-aegis-rim-ps4-pro-mode-select-1024x576.jpg

McCheese

Started to finish this now with some characters, was a bit disappointed that so far the two I've completed just sorta ended abruptly and didn't seem to get much closure. But it says completed and gave an achievement.

Is that it? or is there some sort of real ending once I've completed all of them.

Last edited:

McCheese

mhm I'm kinda stuck on Iori Shopping Distric in 1985 not sure what to do .. .

It's pretty hard to get stuck in the game.

Is anything in your thought cloud green? if so keep inspecting it, the only time I got stuck it was because I had to interact with something twice. If that doesn't work, run around the screen with it highlighted to see if any arrows show up to interacting with it on, and just run around incase any cutscenes trigger.

There are no puzzles as such in the game from what I can tell.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Yeah, I also like to replay games, but those two are very special to me and I don't want to soil my memories of the original adventure. When it comes to Final Fantasy XIII-2 though, I got the platinum so I played the game around 40+ hours after completing it to get all the extras and such. And during my playthrough of Divinity Original Sin, I used a completionist guide so that I could play all the quests and find all the interesting secrets.

As others have said, it’s more of a wistfulness for that wonder that only coming across something for the first time can give you. It’s not about forgetting what you’ve played. That said, there are a handful of games (Final Fantasy Tactics, KotOR 1 & 2, Oblivion) which I replay every couple of years.

I just 100%'d the game and, wow, what a ride that's been. So many twists and turns, the characters were likeable in their own way, and I was surprisingly engrossed by the gameplay.

This game, along with FF7 Remake, is GOTY material.

10/10 :messenger_grinning:

Edit: The music. How can I forget the music. Hitoshi Sakimoto did it again. From Final Fantasy Tactics to this game, incredible work.

Last edited:

McCheese

Finally finished it, I completely misjudged how close to the end I was a few days ago, took about 35 hours in all.

what a game! And what an incredible ending. But now I'm sad it's over, and I know im going to miss these characters.

I think the last time I was genuinely sad about finishing a game was the original FF7, I wonder if this will stick with me that long too..

Overall, the game felt like a real passion project. Someone clearly had a crazy idea in their heart for something they wanted to make, and just fucking ran with it and put their heart into it and this is what came out.

Also Kudos to the translators for managing to avoid out of context screenshots when a character is fucking called BJ.

10/10 game, one of the few true classics this generation.

Danjin44

Overall, the game felt like a real passion project. Someone clearly had a crazy idea in their heart for something they wanted to make, and just fucking ran with it and put their heart into it and this is what came out.
It really was, George Kamitani and his team must have worked their ass off for this game. Making story like this and making it actually work must not have been easy. I myself blown away how well whole story was constructed, because on paper it could have been huge mess but they they able to pull it off beautifully here.

McCheese

It really was, George Kamitani and his team must have worked their ass off for this game. Making story like this and making it actually work must not have been easy. I myself blown away how well whole story was constructed, because on paper it could have been huge mess but they they able to pull it off beautifully here.

Yup, I really did not expect them to deliver on the ending; I felt like it had become so complex and had so many plot threads all intertwined and knotted, that they would have no choice but to bail out with some shitty kojima ex machina ending.

But the mad lads did it, they untangled it all and pretty much nailed the landing.

lachesis

Some Capcom Cafe in Ikebukuro, Tokyo collaboration goods/food with 13 sentinels...

rVGYpn0.jpg

iPSogTx.png

51AhICi.jpg

VfN092c.jpg

JMmrFCw.jpg

BwE3P66.jpg

So far, I don't like Shippo (Tail) / aka Fluffy in English... but I want that mug cup.
Would love to visit the cafe if I lived close - but it's literally like 1000 miles away.
(And when I do, these collaborations/exhibitions are all finished and done with... just my luck.)

And the food! The strawberry filled crepes, Megumi's special Hambagu steak, and Hijiyama's favorite, Yakosoba Pan... and is that a bread that looks like BJ? LOL..

Danjin44

When you're still thinking about the game days after finishing it, you know it's something special. :messenger_loudly_crying:
I know exactly what mean....also Nenji and Tomi are one of the most charming couple I have seen in gaming, especially in their epilogue.

Also loved how Nenji sees those rival gang at epilogue and Takemi threatening to punch him but Nenji is all teary and emotional say "give your best shot".

God, Nenji is the best.

Last edited:

lachesis

Well, I'm still at area 1 - just beat area1-5 boss (if you can call it), but still haven progressed much into battles. Actually I've been replaying Area 1-3 repeatedly, to get some good 20k Meta Chips per battle, at almost 40+ consecutive battles.

So far, I've progressed the game story wise till as much as I can. Most characters at 70+ percent complete, besides Gouto and some other characters - as it's required to finish 2-5 or 2-10. I unlocked all the available Mystery Point that's available to me, with a couple dozen MPs laying around lol. Most of my characters in battles are over level 20, so I think I'm good to proceed... as I've upgraded ton of them. Looks like I can also upgrade the Sentinel itself later on, but right now it's still locked.

Reason I've been replaying the 1-3 is to make myself more comfortable in terms of strategic deployment of my units - but it seems like some scenarios it's limited for just a few sentinels to go out (like 1-5 boss battle) to get that bonus - and what they can do. Small swarm of workers is best delt with someone like Yuki, with armor upgrade and multi lock missiles - although it's pretty apparent that how underpowered (besides leg spikes) Gen 4s are against the big foes. Also trying to make better use of the long-range Gen 3s - but just like anything in life... I love using Usami and Miura's nuke attacks! (both maxed out) - it really clears out ton of stuff, although it takes a lot of EP, and sometimes perhaps due to fatigue, Usami and Miura doesn't even start with enough EP to fire that big ones... but it does wonder saving the city. Thanks to them, 1-3 scenario, I cleared initially around 9-10% city destruction - but now I can get them done as low as 3% lol...

Some of the attacks, like Megumi's Orbital thingie - I am not so sure what it does or how powerful they are. Trying to learn what each attacks do and some are quite interesting. Miniami's anti-air bombardment is quite powerful, but has pretty limited range. But once they connect, it somehow extends the range... but I really have to anticipate how enemies move, and that kind of anticipation isn't something that you can do in first try but knowing exactly where and what types of enemies would appear. I'm trying to save up some Meta chips for other ones like Missile Rain and all - wonder how good those are. Gravity missiles as well. So yeah - right now Minami, Megumi and Shinomura's sentinels are more difficult (?) or unique to use as some of them don't have that killer moves like others... but since there are plenty of heavy hitters - not much issues have arised yet.

But maybe because I am so OP'ed, battle is pretty easy to get S rank, and I'm a coward to up the difficult at the moment. LOL. (They all seem to have some terrible things going on in their lives, so I feel horribly bad upping the difficulty level on them as well)

Not sure what other stages would offer better farming of MPs - I think I will start progress till at least 2-5, so that I can get some more of stories out of remaining characters.

... I think it will take me like 100 hours to finish the game. lol... ;)

lachesis

lachesis lachesis don’t neglect G1 Sentinels unites, later on you will need them and some of the encounters can become tough when bonus objective only lets you have 4 unties on battle.

Oh, G1s are my favorite! I love to do the pac-mans with the tackle, along with their heavy hitting punches, and jumping around like King Kong with their leap attack. One of my G1 - I think it's Nenji' - is almost fully maxed out at the moment too. lol... I've noticed that 1-5 bonus requirements was using maximum 4 units and I've setup rotations on some battle scenarios... and G1s can take out a big sub-boss type of enemy with single shot.

I am only focusing on G3s as they seem to have the most interesting quirks. :)

I know exactly what mean....also Nenji and Tomi are one of the most charming couple I have seen in gaming, especially in their epilogue.

Also loved how Nenji sees those rival gang at epilogue and Takemi threatening to punch him but Nenji is all teary and emotional say "give your best shot".

God, Nenji is the best.
I found Nenji's Remembrance so funny.
Just the thought of him going through Groundhog Day and seeing him react to all the interactions was just a treat. Also, yeah, their relationship together was so cute, but I can't help but find Takatoshi and Okino's little thing together cute as well. ^.^ His overreaction to all the simple pleasures in life was funny!

Oh, G1s are my favorite! I love to do the pac-mans with the tackle, along with their heavy hitting punches, and jumping around like King Kong with their leap attack. One of my G1 - I think it's Nenji' - is almost fully maxed out at the moment too. lol... I've noticed that 1-5 bonus requirements was using maximum 4 units and I've setup rotations on some battle scenarios... and G1s can take out a big sub-boss type of enemy with single shot.

I am only focusing on G3s as they seem to have the most interesting quirks. :)
G4 Sentinels are my favourite. Their ability to move freely and use the Spike Kick (I think that's what it's called) on the bigger kaijus turns the tide of the battle in your favour.

lachesis

G4 Sentinels are my favourite. Their ability to move freely and use the Spike Kick (I think that's what it's called) on the bigger kaijus turns the tide of the battle in your favour.

Yes - especially with Yuki's armor upgrade (which ignores smaller foes attacks), you can really jump in the middle of the horde and attack the boss with Leg Spikes, which I think also is armor-piercing - (I think that's what it's called lol), and take care of other smaller foes with multi-lock missiles. I also find G4s, (except Megumi's - which doesn't have Leg Spikes, nor armor upgrade) very very useful - like you said, they can move so much faster than other units to the destination since they are airborne. Awesome units.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This game got really good reviews, but the gameplay looked kinda meh to me. How story driven is this game? It seemed like action/exploration is pretty much non-existent. It almost seemed like a story sidescroller with some battles mixed in. Is that a good assessment or did the reviews I saw give off the wrong impression?

Danjin44

This game got really good reviews, but the gameplay looked kinda meh to me. How story driven is this game? It seemed like action/exploration is pretty much non-existent. It almost seemed like a story sidescroller with some battles mixed in. Is that a good assessment or did the reviews I saw give off the wrong impression?
Have you played games like 999 before ? It’s that type of game.

Here, watch this....

Danjin44

Uta is amazing, particularly the first and the third one. That said, completely different genre.
One thing I really like what 13 Sentinels did compare to other games is, usually in other VN games you have character portrait and static background with textbox...
ss_0e0606d6c0f736eb28f475ffad4ce47e23c4ec48.1920x1080.jpg

But in 13 Sentinels the background is moving and sometimes you notice other characters having their own conversation, to me it feels much more alive.
20e5edd0-2986-4eb6-85fc-66bdde12e138.jpg.480p.jpg
50196529463_bfa3f5085b_h.jpg

13-Sentinels-1.jpg

lachesis

Just plowed through 10 marathon battle scenarios from 1-5 to 2-5 to progress the locked story. I am still getting S rank on every one easily on first tries, but the last battle on 2-5, I lost the city damage & sentinel damage rate over 10% for the first time. (still 0 damage to the base though so far..) Time to GRIND more! LOL. I think now I can proceed with little more storyline of Minami, Nenji and few others that are locked due to Minami. It feels like Miniami's storyline progression locks up more characters than anyone in the game.

Battle itself... is visually not interesting as everything is pretty much shown with icons - but all the explosions on the screen are quite satisfying. Sort of reminds me of the Geometry Wars or that PS2 fireworks game. After getting used to the thing - I am beginning to imagine (I know! for once, I'm using my imagination lol) the Sentinels fighting off the big Kaijus. It is funny though - that my super missile only kills off Kaijus, not any buildings though! Some nuke! ;)

I was originally underwhelmed with the battle gfx, but I am enjoying it quite a bit now. First time playing each scenario always have some sort of surprise where you had not anticipated the enemies would appear - so now I'm trying to evenly distribute heavy hitters on at least 2 opposing corners of the battle field, while Gen 4s flying off rather freely, and Gen2/Gen3s doing the support work most of the time. Gen2s are indeed quite slow, so I think I would need to upgrade their speed. Sometimes due to it's limited range of the movement, it's rather hard to hit the powerful melee attack of Gen2.

So far I really like the game, but judgement is still out there - because I would have to see how the story ends! :D Very much looking forward to it.
(BTW, that idol singer looks like a mixture between Lynn Minmay & Creamy Mami, more to the latter though - wonder if it was anything intentional..? That character is still shrouded in mystery so far, so will see.)

mcz117chief

One thing I really like what 13 Sentinels did compare to other games is, usually in other VN games you have character portrait and static background with textbox...
ss_0e0606d6c0f736eb28f475ffad4ce47e23c4ec48.1920x1080.jpg
Yeah, I feel the same way. I don't enjoy VNs very much because of this. Just sitting in front of your computer and reading text is quite boring without any interaction whatsoever. That is why my favorite VN is the Sunrider series (both the normal games and Academy) since there is meaningful gameplay attached to them.

Coconutt

Just got through prologue and the stuff introduced there was insane, can't wait to continue playing through the story. Confused about remembrance mode, can I just do all the story stuff in one go and then do the battle or will the game force me to switch between both?

Top Bottom