• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim has one of the best video game stories I’ve ever experienced

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Basically if you’re a fan of Zero Escape, I heavily recommend this game. To be honest you can mix a bit of Danganronpa here too. So if you’re a fan of sci-fi/mystery, you’re in for a treat.

So I’ve been playing 13 Sentinels for the past few days and I was so absorbed with the story, I played at least 10 hours a day (finished the game in 45 hours).

For some reason, I enjoyed the battle parts too and it was well implemented. I’m not a fan of strategy games (though this is more of a tower defense), but I really enjoyed it.

Seriously, I’m considering this game to be one my GOTY. This is probably the best Vanillaware game to date (well, in terms of gameplay it’s still Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir).

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Same, this game easily my GOTY as well. You would think try tell story from 13 different perspective going to be very messy but man George Kamitani and his team made it work so god damn well.

Another think I like about the game is usually in VN game you have static background with character portrait and text box like this...
screenshot26.jpg

But in this game you have people walking in the background and trees moving with wind, it makes the world much more alive.
13-Sentinels-Preview_006.png

Last edited:
I haven’t played much due to RL responsibilities, but yeah — the story and the combat have been way better than I expected so far. Vanillaware really outdid themselves with this one.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
the combat have been way better than I expected so far
Its too bad lot of people judging the combat solely based on the visuals but if they actually play it they would see how fast and snappy it is, it works really well from what they try to do here.

KiNeMz

Banned
Basically if you’re a fan of Zero Escape, I heavily recommend this game. To be honest you can mix a bit of Danganronpa here too. So if you’re a fan of sci-fi/mystery, you’re in for a treat.

So I’ve been playing 13 Sentinels for the past few days and I was so absorbed with the story, I played at least 10 hours a day (finished the game in 45 hours).

For some reason, I enjoyed the battle parts too and it was well implemented. I’m not a fan of strategy games (though this is more of a tower defense), but I really enjoyed it.

Seriously, I’m considering this game to be one my GOTY. This is probably the best Vanillaware game to date (well, in terms of gameplay it’s still Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir).

You've sold me. Thanks for the thread. Im playing Zero Time dilemma now. Love Danganronpa.

Reactions: Isa

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Same, this game easily my GOTY as well. You would think try tell story from 13 different perspective going to be very messy but man George Kamitani and his team made it work so god damn well.

Another think I like about the game is usually in VN game you have static background with character portrait and text box like this...
screenshot26.jpg

But in this game you have people walking in the background and trees moving with wind, it makes the world much more alive.
13-sentinels-aegis-rim-is-vanillawares-boldest-game-yet.jpg
what game is it?

Glad to hear it! Can't wait to play it. Thanks for the mini review.

Shifty1897

It kills me that my PS4 broke and I can't play this yet, it looks brilliant.

Just gotta snag a PS5 so I can play this.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
The trailers I've seen for the game nearly sold me, but I'm wondering how difficult is the combat? I don't want to snag this to see a great story only to run into difficult sections.

fallingdove

Its too bad lot of people judging the combat solely based on the visuals but if they actually play it they would see how fast and snappy it is, it works really well from what they try to do here.
Seriously. As much as I like Vanillaware games, the combat was really off putting from the trailers. If it wasn’t for you and a few other Gafers that advocated for 13 Sentinels, I would have missed out on one of the most enjoyable games I have played all year. Sooo good.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
The trailers I've seen for the game nearly sold me, but I'm wondering how difficult is the combat? I don't want to snag this to see a great story only to run into difficult sections.

There’s Casual mode and it’s very easy, to the point you might want to go for normal lol.

The battles are surprisingly fun though, and there’s this feeling of satisfaction.

Last edited:

Faithless83

Banned

Too many games on my backlog and PS5 coming as well. I'm really looking forward to play it though.
Vanillaware is always a fun time in my book.

Furball

:messenger_sunglasses: A amazing game that will remain forgotten and wont appear on this year Award

On Sony PSN, It dont even appear on new release or game list . You can only find it by search the name

Komatsu

For those of us who cut our teeth with smuggled Hong Kong VHS tapes of 1980s Anime OVAs, 13 Sentinels is absolutely amazing. I have been playing for 20h and I don’t want it to end.

It condenses in playable VN-like form a lot of what I love about anime as a storytelling media. It is gorgeous and unashamedly sci-fi.

It is my GOTY so far.

Last edited:
Huh.

I saw trailers but the art style and combat seemed to have put me off, though I admit I haven't properly watch a gameplay walkthrough.

But, to be fair, if I can find enjoyment in really dry games like CKIII, I'm sure I could find some enjoyment in this game.

Will keep an eye out for it!

Is there a PC version by chance?

DJT123

Sounds exactly like my kind of game. I'll definetely be looking out for it.

Huh.

I saw trailers but the art style and combat seemed to have put me off, though I admit I haven't properly watch a gameplay walkthrough.

But, to be fair, if I can find enjoyment in really dry games like CKIII, I'm sure I could find some enjoyment in this game.

Will keep an eye out for it!

Is there a PC version by chance?

Sadly, not.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Basically if you’re a fan of Zero Escape, I heavily recommend this game. To be honest you can mix a bit of Danganronpa here too.
And just like that I'm no longer interested in this game.

GymWolf

How is this not a danjin topic? I'm flabbergasted.

It's like seeing a topic about that rainbow littleshit69 not being opened by brap.

I still don't understand what this game is about...it looks like college dragon crown but i don't understand the combat at all, it looks like some mobile shit...

Last edited:
Well it's a Vanillaware gam, in my eyes they never made a bad game period and their game are timeless both in gameplay and visuals

I've yet to get 13 Sentinels because i want a physical copy which hasn't come yet to where I live, i was tempted to pull the trigger and buy it digitally but I'll wait until the end of October and see if can get it physically.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

And just like that I'm no longer interested in this game.

It’s not as insane as DR though. Very slight. I’d say this is more Zero Escape + Persona 4

ULTROS!

The first Zero Escape or the other 2 awful games?

PERSONA WITH ROBUTTS?

Hmmm... Zero Escape in general, if you think the first is good, then that one.

I’d say Persona 4 charm of the characters with Zero Escape story levels.

Top Bottom