• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

112.3 million PS4's sold. 45 million PS Plus subscribers as of June, 2020. TLOUII and Ghost of Tsushima selling well.

150 million PS4 sold achievable in the next 2 years?

• Total voters

ZywyPL

Banned
Well this is a bullshit lie

giphy.gif

ZywyPL

Banned
I've been a PC gamer for ages and I can tell you it has its fair share of fanboy wars like amd Vs nvidia on the gpu side and amd Vs intel on the CPU side of things... it seems no platform is completely free from fanboy crap.

True, but it's nothing like "NV shipped only xxx GPUs this quarter and AMD yyy GPUs, suck it Jensen, NV is going down!!", because who gives a shit really... But the best and common part in all the fanboy wars out there is that the people who bet on the weakest horse always play the victim's card, they feel like the entire world is against them, the excuses and accusations they make are endless (and priceless), I'd really like to know what has to happen in someone's childhood, so when he grows up he decides to desperately attach himself to a brand or an item, and go fight an imaginary war for it, instead of getting an actual life and treating his hobby for what it is, just that, a hobby.

True, but it's nothing like "NV shipped only xxx GPUs this quarter and AMD yyy GPUs, suck it Jensen, NV is going down!!", because who gives a shit really... But the best and common part in all the fanboy wars out there is that the people who bet on the weakest horse always play the victim's card, they feel like the entire world is against them, the excuses and accusations they make are endless (and priceless), I'd really like to know what has to happen in someone's childhood, so when he grows up he decides to desperately attach himself to a brand or an item, and go fight an imaginary war for it, instead of getting an actual life and treating his hobby for what it is, just that, a hobby.

I know what fanboyism is I'm just stating it's everywhere even on pc even if it's a more simpler fanboyism.

oagboghi2

how did you get that tag?

Vawn

Banned
Sony having 4 out of top 5 selling consoles of all time and we still have people think it was "luck" or because MS screwed X1 launch Lol.

An easy prediction for the end of next gen: ALL top 5 selling consoles of all time will be Playstations 👑

Thats going to quite a feat since that will require PS3 jumping Wii.

ZywyPL

Banned
how did you get that tag?

For posting drunk, supposedly I mentioned the forbidden TF number, the post was deleted so i never could review what I wrote, but who cares, it's just yet another proof how weak-minded those silly kids are.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Those profits all up in the face! Sony is beasting and are top of food chain in terms of console companies. They will sell at a decent hardware loss hopefully and won't blink an eye because all tht services and software profit. Now I'm starting to think ps5 won't go over 450 Instead of 500. As consumers, we are lucky, they are going to invest in alot more new games and in the gaming future.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Great for Sony, but this kind of domination overall not great for consumers.

Of course it's a reflection of how shitty MS has done; but hopefully they can gain some momentum back so we aren't stuck with a console market with only Sony/Nintendo.

And if they do gain momentum back it will because they offer great value/games.. so win win for everyone.

But having a conversation about that here seems nye impossible; everyone just cheer-leading like they won some competition.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Those profits all up in the face! Sony is beasting and are top of food chain in terms of console companies. They will sell at a decent hardware loss hopefully and won't blink an eye because all tht services and software profit. Now I'm starting to think ps5 won't go over 450 Instead of 500. As consumers, we are lucky, they are going to invest in alot more new games and in the gaming future.

Maybe the digital PS5 will be $400. No way the disc PS5 will be less than $500 though. :(

John Wick

They're a market yeah, but I can't see them taking subs from traditional GTA:O, GT:S, COD/BF players, FUT/HUT, myTeam players for example. Plus, I hardly play onine and I still have a PS+ membership so it's not a convincing measurement. 0.4 attach rate might be growth though - from an even lower number (e.g. 0.25). I'm just surprised it's that low.

2017 it seemed to be an attach rate of 0.34, so it was lower and that was up from 2016

And if you do some basic math, it looks like 2016 was about 20million subs from 53.5million sales which actually trends a little higher on the attach rate at 0.36. So it looks like the attach rate is growing albeit slowly.
F2play makes a huge difference especially if your part of the Fortnite, Pubg and Warzone crowd. As its free you don't need to sub to PS+. If it was a requirement you could increase the subs by 10-15 million easy.
Also PS sells a lot in markets where the internet isn't good enough to have a PS+ sub

John Wick

Because the PS3 was too late and too expensive. I don't see PS5 being late or too expensive.
PS4 has been selling at $299 unless a special promotion(Black Friday). If they bring a new superslim model and price it $199 in its 1st year and $150 the next, it will sell a decent amount. Especially if they target markets like Brazil and India etc.

John Wick

I didn't think about it that way, that is true. Too tunnel-visioned on first-party titles.
Also don't forget PS4 has 100+ million userbase. Developers and publishers won't just give that up overnight. Also smaller developers aren't going to just make games for a new platform with just a few million users to sell to. They will target both. It will be financially better for 3rd parties to develop for both. Crossgen engines like Unreal 5 will help with this

J____Av

Out of 110 mill consoles sold only 18 mill worth of first party’s sold? That’s not a lot when you look at the install base.

don’t get me wrong I own quite a few of the first party games but it shows that they could of stillsold that amount of titles even if they only sold 40 mill consoles
Dude, how fucking tone deaf can you be? Why are YOU so obsessed with sales and pretending you don't get why people are obsessed with sales? Either you are trolling or a complete moron with zero self awareness

Chittagong

Gold Member
It would be interesting to know what % of a platforms total unit sales happen after the release of a successor platform.

10% - 11M => total 123M
20% - 22M => total 134M
25% - 28M => total 140M
35% - 39M => total 151M

Around 25% sounds like a good ballpark to my intuition.

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't think it'll reach PS2 numbers if only because PS2 was still such a strong value proposition after the 360 and PS3 launches. Final Fantasy XII in 2006 and God of War II in 2007 were among the best titles on the system.

I don't think Sony has the will to do a super slim but if Lockhart is a thing that Microsoft pushes hard, it might make sense to go for it and see what happens.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I am obviously exaggerating a little bit for effect, I am not saying that they're completely the same.
But they sorta exist in the same bubble if that makes sense.
I also think that Spiderman does too, the base gameplay and mechanics are very similar or even the same. Ratchet and Clank is one that actually does feel different so I'll give you that but also mostly in tone and visuals. But that's honestly enough to make it stand out.

I'd just like to see more games with stylized characters and designs, and as much as I actually prefer third person myself maybe some first person games too.
Like imagine for example a game like Nier Automata, Yakuza or maybe even something a bit unorthodox for consoles like a Diablo styled game or a RTS game.

What's especially annoying about it is that the Japanese already do this well, and Sony is a Japanese company. And yet they don't take advantage of this at all.
Sony games sorta feel like the Marvel movies to me, big blockbusters very noticably aimed at the mass market where everything is shiny and fairly tropey.
But I think that audiences are receptive to other things too.

Right now it just sorta feels like their first party studios are all working with the same fundamental building blocks with all of their games and it's kinda boring imo.
As much as I loved the RE2 remake, part of me was kinda disappointed about the gameplay changes for this reason too.
Imo the remake of RE1 still holds up, and it'd be really cool to see a big budget game do something cool with that.
But we just keep getting games that sorta play the same.
I disagree. I've gotten different experiences with all of their 1st party games and when they make something like Dreams, Concrete Genie or Astro's Playroom for some reason those don't count lol

yurinka

It would be interesting to know what % of a platforms total unit sales happen after the release of a successor platform.

10% - 11M => total 123M
20% - 22M => total 134M
25% - 28M => total 140M
35% - 39M => total 151M

Around 25% sounds like a good ballpark to my intuition.
Well, the 112M are from June 31st and the successor will be released around 5 months and a half after that, so they will sell some extra millions more.

In any case I bet it will sell ~25%, >140M. It would be interesting to investigate that % for PS1, PS2 and PS3.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
Can one of the people who voted 'Yes' explain themselves? 150m is literally impossible to reach.

If Sony eventually lowers the price of the PS4 base to $199 this year and $149 in Holiday 2021 in emerging markets, it could get to 150 million sold by 2024. Keep in mind it'll probably hit 120 million by the end of this year and the base PS4 is $300 still....

Using my math Sony would have to sell on average about 7.5 million PS4s a year for the next 4+ years to do it. That seems doable to me, "IF" they lower the base PS4 price to $199 this year permanently.

Last edited:

ArcaneNLSC

February: Yakuza 5, Dreams
March: Nioh 2, Persona 5 Royal
April: Predator, Sakura Wars, FFVII Remake
June: Last of Us 2
July: Ghost of Sushi

When you have a consistent stream of variety titles like this on top of the multiplats like Doom Eternal, CoD Warzone, e.t.c. its no wonder many people are buying PS4, a seven year old console. Sony didn't make the same mistake as 360 which dropped the ball on its later lifespan, too cocky from its earlier success.

latest

IxnqOmV.jpg

RCU005

150 million ain't happening.
120m will happen but no way 150m.
Good for them, I suppose, but it won't reach 150mil.

You guys are forgetting that the ONLY "price cut" the PS4 has had was when they introduced the PS4 Pro. So the PS4 hasn't had any real price cut in its entire lifespan.

The PS4 will probably keep selling for 2 or 3 more years. If the PS5 is indeed $399/$499, they could reduce the price of the PS4 to $199/$299 and they will keep selling a lot (remember that the PS2 was still selling strong after the PS3 released, as well as the PS3 when the PS4 launched).

For the last year or so of the PS4, they could even make it cheaper if that is possible.

All in all, 38 million in 3 years could still be possible.

tillbot8

Banned
That is is big recovery from the PS3, Sony brought their A game to this gen! Except the quality of the DS4 went through 5 of those!

Unknown?

Nearly as many units as Xbox One sold in its lifetime AFTER PS5 releases? Zero chance. 125 million is likely the ceiling.
I think it all depends on pricing. PS3 tanked after PS4 because it only went down to $219. It never became a bargain.

Neo Blaster

But its coming to the end of life and people still obsessed with sales, the games are coming to and end of life on PS4 to as sony invested in ps5 now.

just buy the games and enjoy them, i personally just find the sales threads a bit bizarre as if all these gamers have shares in sony or summit
It doesn't matter whether the money comes from PS4, it can be used to subside PS5 price and big AAA games for it. Besides, bigger install base, better deals with thirds for exclusive content.

oagboghi2

Great for Sony, but this kind of domination overall not great for consumers.

Of course it's a reflection of how shitty MS has done; but hopefully they can gain some momentum back so we aren't stuck with a console market with only Sony/Nintendo.

And if they do gain momentum back it will because they offer great value/games.. so win win for everyone.

But having a conversation about that here seems nye impossible; everyone just cheer-leading like they won some competition.
how is this not good for consumers? If you owned a PS4 this year, you've been seeing great new releases every month

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I voted no. The PS4 isn't like the PS2 where they could keep shrinking the form and selling it for cheaper and cheaper in certain markets for years after the PS3 came out. Their strategy has also seemed to have changed to keep pushing onwards and upwards. They're going to be pushing people to the PS5 and, my guess, discontinue the PS4 and PS4 Pro pretty quickly. It's probably already hard as hell to get them both fabricated to supply demand in a pandemic, imagine trying to push all three (vanilla, pro, 5) through a manufacturing and supply chain in these times.

Neo Blaster

Awesome results.
This is the important part :

Over $5.63B Revenue and $1.152B Profit between April-June 2020 (Q1 FY20)

So, PROFIT! But revenue is important i guess. /s
Specially when your profit is bigger than you main competitor's entire revenue.

Neo Blaster

They will probably price the ps5 too high and then offer the ps4 at a much lower price and change their "generations" spin once they see how well the ps4 continues to sell. All the "next gen only" talk will go out the window and we will continue to see a ton of cross gen titles for the next 2 years plus.

Nope, that's Xbox.

vkbest

I don't think it'll reach PS2 numbers if only because PS2 was still such a strong value proposition after the 360 and PS3 launches. Final Fantasy XII in 2006 and God of War II in 2007 were among the best titles on the system.

I don't think Sony has the will to do a super slim but if Lockhart is a thing that Microsoft pushes hard, it might make sense to go for it and see what happens.

On March 2007 (7 years from release) PS2 numbers were 117 million. PS2 was strong because price dropped to $99 on 2006. If Sony launch a PS4 model below $200 it’s possible PS4 selling 130-135 million. Besides. PS4 will get the most games on 2021

Top Bottom