• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

112.3 million PS4's sold. 45 million PS Plus subscribers as of June, 2020. TLOUII and Ghost of Tsushima selling well.

150 million PS4 sold achievable in the next 2 years?

• Total voters

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
February: Yakuza 5, Dreams
March: Nioh 2, Persona 5 Royal
April: Predator, Sakura Wars, FFVII Remake
June: Last of Us 2
July: Ghost of Sushi

When you have a consistent stream of variety titles like this on top of the multiplats like Doom Eternal, CoD Warzone, e.t.c. its no wonder many people are buying PS4, a seven year old console. Sony didn't make the same mistake as 360 which dropped the ball on its later lifespan, too cocky from its earlier success.

latest

Rudius

It makes no sense to keep the Pro around once PS5 launches. The people who will buy the PS4 so late don't care about power, all that matters to them is price and games. Those who want power will buy the PS5.

Sony must get the PS4 slim (or super slim) price as low as possible; some years in the future those same people will buy the PS5 to keep their games.

Wunray

Due to the current world crisis I think 125 mil is def achievable but 150? Not likely, maybe if the ps5 had launched next year.

iHaunter

With Xbox holding on to this generation & Switch being a handheld/ console hybrid 3rd party devs will be making PS4 level games for years to come even if Sony move on to PS5 only games.

I didn't think about it that way, that is true. Too tunnel-visioned on first-party titles.

Exactly.

MS is right in changing the Xbox identity, it's absolutely the right move. It's too bad that we are still in a transitional moment in time, and they still rely on a hardcore fanbase that wants Xbox to be a better PlayStation at all costs. It shackles them and reflects badly on their social media PR, that they need to pander.

Hopefully in two or three years Xbox will have carved its own identity, separate from Nintendo and PlayStation.
Whatever the other guys are doing has no bearing on PlayStation so you can feel free to enjoy your box and let the other guys do whatever it is they are doing. Who cares what is said on social media unless its from Sony of course.

With Xbox holding on to this generation & Switch being a handheld/ console hybrid 3rd party devs will be making PS4 level games for years to come even if Sony move on to PS5 only games.

I doubt this. If PS5 if the big seller like so many believe it will be 3rd party devs can put out top tier titles and those games will find a home on all consoles capable of playing them.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

That's just a part of the console wars, the biggest one actually, notice it doesn't happen on PC, no one cares how many CPUs exactly does AMD or Intel sell, how many RTX GPUs Nvidia shipped, there's no Asus vs Gigabyte wars, no nothing. That's just the way it goes, let the kids have their fun.
Well this is a bullshit lie

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'm pretty sure better sales on a platform lead to more & better games on that platform because they know they will have a better chance at making that money back.

Case in point all the big PlayStation exclusives
Again there are loads of games on other consoles that ain’t doing as well or PC

phil_t98

#SonyToo
If the product is successful it means that it will most likely continue to exist and have investments made into it.

That in the end can lead to investments in hardware and software which is good for consumers of said products.

Let me put it this way. If Sony only sold 40 million PS4s what do you think would happen?
There would still be games made for the system as 40 mill still a lot of games to be sold?

Arkam

Can the PS4 sell 38 million more units? I think it has a great chance as long as it gets a nice price drop. A $149- $199 slim would go a long way considering how strong the PS4 library was. But we will see how Sony plays it.

Those Q1 numbers look fantastic! Shows Sony is going into next gen in a great position. Lets hope they can keep the good times rolling so we can all benefit!

Last edited:
So how many copies of a game has the top playstation game sold? Is it spiderman? God of war? Both excellent games btw

You do know that multiplats also provide Sony with income correct? So 1st party exclusives are not the only source of income from software for them.

With that said overall Sony has sold alot more software than Microsoft has. Alot of that is due to the much higher install base. It's why your seeing these types of numbers for the company.

Edit: I found this post that can be relevant to our discussion

On Financials for the quarter

At 599 trillion yen ($5.65 billion), total PlayStation revenue was 36 percent higher than the same period last year and was the highest for any April-June quarter in PlayStation history.

(PlayStation) Profit for the quarter was more than XBox's entire revenue for the same period.

Of those 91 million PS4 games sold, 18.5 million of them were first-party titles and a whopping 74% of all those transactions were for the digital version of a game rather than a physical copy. The total number of PlayStation Plus subscribers has also increased to 44.9 million

Profit for the quarter ended in June was 228 billion yen (US$2.15 billion), compared with average analyst estimates of 137 billion yen. The company forecast operating profit for the year ending in March of 620 billion yen, compared with projections for 654 billion yen. Sony also said it would buy back as much as 1.64 per cent of its shares for 100 billion yen.

That's nearly enough to buy Bethesda / Zenimax at it's last valuation of 2.5 billion (probably more now but not by much) .... do it Sony!

That is a ton of software sold.

Edit 2: By multiplats I mean the PlayStation versions obviously.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
They will probably price the ps5 too high and then offer the ps4 at a much lower price and change their "generations" spin once they see how well the ps4 continues to sell. All the "next gen only" talk will go out the window and we will continue to see a ton of cross gen titles for the next 2 years plus.
😂 This is exactly what won't happen

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
I just wish that they'd take more actual risks with their singleplayer games.
I know a lot of people will disagree about this, but photorealistic games that are all narrative driven completely filled to the brim with AAA gaming trends like shoved in RPG elements open world or flirting with the idea of open world.
They're so oversaturated and I am sorry but I don't think that they're risky games.
I think that their games play it as safe as you possibly could and are designed for mass appeal.

It's why I have no interest in PS4 and PS5, because yeah there's Gravity Rush I guess?
But their games feel so incredibly samey to me.
The games honestly feels like they could be coming from the same studio to me.
Nothing about them surprise me.

They really don't have a diverse library of games at all as far as their first party exclusives go.
People can get mad at me all that they want but I think that it's true.
I dunno how people can spend an entire generation essentially playing more or less the same games with a different coat of paint.
I don't think most people that play PS4 exclusives share this sentiment. TLOU 2, Ghost of Tsushima and Spider-man are 3 of my favorite games on PS4 and each one feels and plays drastically different from each other

Bryank75

Banned
I just wish that they'd take more actual risks with their singleplayer games.
I know a lot of people will disagree about this, but photorealistic games that are all narrative driven completely filled to the brim with AAA gaming trends like shoved in RPG elements open world or flirting with the idea of open world.
They're so oversaturated and I am sorry but I don't think that they're risky games.
I think that their games play it as safe as you possibly could and are designed for mass appeal.

It's why I have no interest in PS4 and PS5, because yeah there's Gravity Rush I guess?
But their games feel so incredibly samey to me.
The games honestly feels like they could be coming from the same studio to me.
Nothing about them surprise me.

They really don't have a diverse library of games at all as far as their first party exclusives go.
People can get mad at me all that they want but I think that it's true.
I dunno how people can spend an entire generation essentially playing more or less the same games with a different coat of paint.
That's very disingenuous, they are not even remotely the same games and all have different art styles, characters, themes and gameplay...

GOW has a fantasy setting where you play as a God / Demigod with melee combat.

TLOU is a game with heavy themes and atmosphere, revolving around a fungal virus that turns people into zombies and the breakdown of society... dealing with loss etc. Mostly based on The Road.

Spider-man..... a superhero game

Ghost of Tsushima..a samurai game with fantastic gameplay

Bloodborne.... we all know what this is and it is unique

Dreams.... creator tool

Gran Turismo

Death Stranding... introspective game about reconnecting society after a cataclysmic event with supernatural elements.

Horizon... Tribes vs robot dinosaurs

I mean, I could go on..... but if you think they are all the same.... you're just so biased that you cannot see what is self-evident.

mckmas8808

Banned
Sony's Q1 results as of June 30 , 2020. Will update the more info we get.

Q1: March 31, 2020 - June 30, 2020.

Highlights:

Q1 Revenue/profit: 5.6 Billion/1.16 Billion USD. (68% YoY growth in profit).

This is SONY's revenue and profits right? Not just Playstation? Cause there's just no way a video game sector alone can make a billion in profit in 3 months. Better yet a non holiday 3 months.

Bryank75

Banned
This is SONY's revenue and profits right? Not just Playstation? Cause there's just no way a video game sector alone can make a billion in profit in 3 months. Better yet a non holiday 3 months.
That is just 3 months of PlayStation... not the entire company.

I have a different profit number.... 2.15 billion in profit..

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
How much does Ps4 and Ps4 Pro cost today?

$299 and $399

That is just 3 months of PlayStation... not the entire company.

WTF MAN!?! Jesus Christ almighty! I was thinking that was Sony's total corporate profits. These ninjas are making $1 Billion in profit per quarter now, means they're NEVER going to eliminate PS+ like some here are wondering. Why do video game media talking heads want Sony to follow MS' lead with Xbox when Playstation is making more profit per quarter than Xbox is in Revenue per quarter?

Last edited:

Abear21

Banned
This holiday is going to be insane, especially if they drop the price of the PS4 to $199 and offer bundles. I remember the PS2 had crazy legs after the PS3 launched, perhaps history repeats and Sony could sniff 150. I voted no.

Bryank75

Banned
$299 and $399

WTF MAN!?! Jesus Christ almighty! I was thinking that was Sony's total corporate profits. These ninjas are making $1 Billion in profit per quarter now, means they're NEVER going to eliminate PS+ like some here are wondering. Why do video game media talking heads want Sony to follow MS' lead with Xbox when Playstation is making more profit per quarter than Xbox is in Revenue per quarter?

I believe operating profit is 2.15 Billion

That's my source. Read it on other sources too.

Yeah, their profit is higher than Xbox's total revenue per quarter. Impressive.

Last edited:

sendit

February: Yakuza 5, Dreams
March: Nioh 2, Persona 5 Royal
April: Predator, Sakura Wars, FFVII Remake
June: Last of Us 2
July: Ghost of Sushi

When you have a consistent stream of variety titles like this on top of the multiplats like Doom Eternal, CoD Warzone, e.t.c. its no wonder many people are buying PS4, a seven year old console. Sony didn't make the same mistake as 360 which dropped the ball on its later lifespan, too cocky from its earlier success.

latest

Still amazed at the output they're able to produce quality games. Specifically back to back releases (TLOU2 and Ghost). I'm sure they wanted to stretch Ghost of Tsushima towards closer to the end of this year, but PS5 is happening.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
You do know that multiplats also provide Sony with income correct? So 1st party exclusives are not the only source of income from software for them.

With that said overall Sony has sold alot more software than Microsoft has. Alot of that is due to the much higher install base. It's why your seeing these types of numbers for the company.

Edit: I found this post that can be relevant to our discussion

That is a ton of software sold.

Edit 2: By multiplats I mean the PlayStation versions obviously.
Out of 110 mill consoles sold only 18 mill worth of first party’s sold? That’s not a lot when you look at the install base.

don’t get me wrong I own quite a few of the first party games but it shows that they could of stillsold that amount of titles even if they only sold 40 mill consoles

don’t get me wrong I own quite a few of the first party games but it shows that they could of stillsold that amount of titles even if they only sold 40 mill consoles

Actually more like around 7 million copies due to the vastly inferior install base.

Remember how much smaller the numbers were when the PS4 was at 40 million?

Last edited:
150million? I can't see it.

These guys are still making bank with this console and it's no surprise really.

These guys have a new console coming in a couple of months and are still getting ready to hold event talking about new stuff coming to the current system.

THAT'S how you support your player-base.
Exactly. That's why I'm going PS5 this time. The support they show is much more consistent than MS's.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Nice. I'm secretly hoping for one more hardware revision (like the PS3 super slim) and at least another 3 years of manufacturing.

150 would only be possible if Sony really wanted it to happen - like make super slim variant and sell it for 150-200 $ in developing areas of the world.
But they are on record saying they want to migrate people to PS5 asap so I doubt they will push it super hard.

Vawn

Banned
I never get why gamers have become obsessed with sales numbers? I mean if you enjoy their product and i do then just enjoy it.

Lmao at the post below this. You got busted hard. All those threads of yours "worrying" about PlayStation sales and then you post this.

Unknown?

Exactly. That's why I'm going PS5 this time. The support they show is much more consistent than MS's.
That's always been the case though. The first Xbox was killed early due to it not being a success. 360 started great but never kept that momentum and the final 3-4 years were pretty bad, especially 2013.

mortal

Gold Member
They're in the strongest ever position going in to next gen, oh boy.

Now scrape the cash together to deliver Bloodborne 2 within 3 years please.
Bloodborne 2 would sell millions and guarantee PS5 sales. Especially if a 60fps/4k remaster of the first game comes out for PS5 & PC.
That alone would solidify a PS5 purchase from me.

Top Bottom