• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

112.3 million PS4's sold. 45 million PS Plus subscribers as of June, 2020. TLOUII and Ghost of Tsushima selling well.

150 million PS4 sold achievable in the next 2 years?

• Total voters

mejin

People who already bought a PS4, can move to PS5 without affecting the sales of hardware they already purchased years ago.
People who don't already own a PS4 however? What made you think they would become launch owner all of a sudden? They waited this long for a PS4, they can wait for PS5 too.

I meant Sony won't push PS4 sales cause it is already at the end of its life cycle. Marketing and everything else will move to PS5 and that's just normal. The transition is far easier now than ps3 > ps4, but I don't disagree with you. PS4 will continue to sell and people will jump to PS5 in due time, not asap.

UnNamed

Banned
PS4 probably won't reach 150million consoles sold, because condition now are different.

PS2 had a huge benefit mainly from it's long tail, because it's low price but also because the next gen console war was uncertain till the end of 2007, so buyers preferred to wait and buy cheaper PS2 over the pricey and uncertain next gen.
Also, last gen was strange because console prices were artificially high with the HHD cost, so you had XBOX or PS3 at 300€ six years after their release.

PS4 will probably sell after PS5 release, even more if PS5 will be expensive, but I don't know if it will surpass PS2.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
You can see why the competition would want to disrupt the flow of software sales.

It's not just that, they are trying their best to disrupt everything. Hence all the noise about hardware sales, software sales, console generations, exclusives, etc.

They've finally realised they can't beat Sony at their own game so they are trying their best to change the game. I'm ok with Xbox doing their own thing, but it absolutely doesn't mean everyone else needs to do what they are doing.

I meant Sony won't push PS4 sales cause it is already at the end of its life cycle. Marketing and everything else will move to PS5 and that's just normal. The transition is far easier now than ps3 > ps4, but I don't disagree with you. PS4 will continue to sell and people will jump to PS5 in due time, not asap.
Sony will push PS4 as Superslim, towards people who outright reject paying $399 for a console. These people might not buy a PS5 now, but once they own a PS4 they would be locked down LATER. Ever since Sony released the PSOne in 2000, they have always nurtured the "cheap ass" market.

The only reason that didn't happen for PS3, was because it was basically impossible to make PS3 cheap enough. Other than that one anomaly, the rest of Playstation history told us exactly what is planned in the next few years.

onQ123

Being that a lot of money is being made on PSN I'm pretty sure they will continue to push PS4 sales but they will probably wait until SSD are really cheap so they can make a even smaller PS4 with at least 256GB of SSD

mejin

It's not just that, they are trying their best to disrupt everything. Hence all the noise about hardware sales, software sales, console generations, exclusives, etc.

They've finally realised they can't beat Sony at their own game so they are trying their best to change the game. I'm ok with Xbox doing their own thing, but it absolutely doesn't mean everyone else needs to do what they are doing.

They don't have the results to make anyone follow them.

People expected they could offer Sony quality big productions plus gamepass which is and always will be insane. I still have no problem with the way Xbox is doing things too cause I have options I like better. As long as there are those options I'm fine.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Exactly.

MS is right in changing the Xbox identity, it's absolutely the right move. It's too bad that we are still in a transitional moment in time, and they still rely on a hardcore fanbase that wants Xbox to be a better PlayStation at all costs. It shackles them and reflects badly on their social media PR, that they need to pander.

Hopefully in two or three years Xbox will have carved its own identity, separate from Nintendo and PlayStation.

mejin

Sony will push PS4 as Superslim, towards people who outright reject paying $399 for a console. These people might not buy a PS5 now, but once they own a PS4 they would be locked down LATER. Ever since Sony released the PSOne in 2000, they have always nurtured the "cheap ass" market.

The only reason that didn't happen for PS3, was because it was basically impossible to make PS3 cheap enough. Other than that one anomaly, the rest of Playstation history told us exactly what is planned in the next few years.

Hmmm, it could work indeed. Do you think Pro would be killed in this situation?

Being that a lot of money is being made on PSN I'm pretty sure they will continue to push PS4 sales but they will probably wait until SSD are really cheap so they can make a even smaller PS4 with at least 256GB of SSD

But PS4 will complete 7 years in the market this november. You are thinking about a 10 year plan or something like that? In this case wouldn't be better to have a new ps4 slim before PS5 launch? Like the most acessible playstation platform to psn and PSNow?

45 million subs? I thought it would be higher than that. That's like just under 0.5 attach rate. I wonder how many are secondary accounts etc. I think it would be more interesting to see how many playstations took advantage of +features instead
Well, it's mainly for playing online. I don't subscribe anymore as I don't play multiplayer games.

Calverz

So less than 50% of ps4 owners actually bother subscribing to the service? Thats an opportunity for competitors there.

Defrop

Banned
Sony's Q1 results as of June, 2020. Will update the more info we get.

Credit to for pointing it out @ArcaneNLSC

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/20q1_sonypre.pdf

Wk.png

Fake!

Gamepass to the rescue!

splattered

Sony can think for themselves and do.

Anything Sony is doing is not "Microsoft's fault"

The music and movie industries have also gone through similar changes, i bet there are similar forums online with Studio Warriors bashing various film and music studios about each other's practices.

Things change and evolve whether fans like it or not.

If all the stuff you don't like about Microsoft was actually bad, Sony wouldn't be considering similar evolutions.

Hmmm, it could work indeed. Do you think Pro would be killed in this situation?
100%.
Pro and 1X are both temporary stopgap measures. Their target audience are also the type to buy next gen hardware at launch day. Once PS5 is out, the PS4 Pro would be a waste of space in the production line. I personally expect its production to have ceased months ago.
But PS4 will complete 7 years in the market this november. You are thinking about a 10 year plan or something like that? In this case wouldn't be better to have a new ps4 slim before PS5 launch? Like the most acessible playstation platform to psn and PSNow?
PS4 Supeslim doesn't need to be launched yet. They are still clearing old inventory. My expectation is that Superslim would be announced the same day PS5 get a price reveal. This is the 4th time we are getting a console launch that replaces its predecessor, and the people waiting for the Superslim would be watching.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
45 million subs? I thought it would be higher than that. That's like just under 0.5 attach rate. I wonder how many are secondary accounts etc. I think it would be more interesting to see how many playstations took advantage of +features instead

I'm a Playstation user since the first one, I own all of them (except the portables) and i've never paid for PS+. I don't need it. So many single player games available. I won't deny I took advantage of several PS+ free trials but never felt it was worth it to subscribe.

But in exchange, the last 12 months I bought 10 PS4 games. I would say I'm a pretty active user.

GHG

Gold Member
Sony can think for themselves and do.

Anything Sony is doing is not "Microsoft's fault"

The music and movie industries have also gone through similar changes, i bet there are similar forums online with Studio Warriors bashing various film and music studios about each other's practices.

Things change and evolve whether fans like it or not.

If all the stuff you don't like about Microsoft was actually bad, Sony wouldn't be considering similar evolutions.

Yes it's abundantly clear that Sony can think for themselves and continue to do so. I've never said anything they do is Microsoft's fault so not sure where you're going with that?

If Xbox truly believed in what they were doing then they would just get on and do it without constant reference to the competition. They should be able to have confidence in their product along with their vision and allow it to stand on its own feet without constantly obsessing over what Sony is (or isn't) doing (and also without constantly talking, but that's another discussion). Constantly being reactive to what Sony does only leads people to draw comparisons and honestly, in their current state, it's something they should be shying away from.

Last edited:

John Wick

Many people use PS4 just for the exclusives and play everything else on PC, just look how often the PS4+PC combo is mentioned just on this forum alone, and PS+ gives absolutely nothing for those SP-only 1st party titles. But yeah, I'd expect the number to be somewhat around 75-85%, not below half of the userbase.
You forget F2Play is free on PlayStation so popular games like Fortnite, PubG and Warzone are free to play without a PSplus sub unlike MS.

Saber

Gold Member
Thats outstanding total sales. More than deserved.

Hope they keep that same line of sales when PS5 arives. It would be insane.

Entroyp

Well... I said it was good to see MS picking up speed before next gen... but Sony is already doing WARP 1 daaamn!

Also, I’m glad to see the industry is not yet disrupted by subscriptions salesmen, but still driven by ouput of quality of software.

Last edited:

PresetError

Neophyte
120m will happen but no way 150m.

People will move on from the old console quite quickly, quicker than we've seen in the past I'd say.

The PS4 is almost dead and Sony will ensure it's completely dead by 2022. The amount of PS4's that will hit the second hand market once the PS5 is on retail stores will make it impossible to reach the 150 million mark. The PS2 had extremely long legs but the current situation is completely different because the PS3 had a rough start and nowadays we are way more used to planned obsolescense.

But the PS4 had an amazing run. The fact it has surpassed the Wii and the OG Playstation and is approaching Gameboy numbers is simply amazing for our times, when everything goes so fast.

Damn 74% of software sold was digital, thats a high percentage man

The pandemic has accelerated the pace of the inevitable digital videogame market takeover at least 3 or 4 years. Before the pandemic the rate was almost 50/50.

Last edited:

yurinka

Insane numbers specially considering many important countries were in lockdown during this quarter. Game sales but specially digital sales and DLC skyrocketed YoY. Hardware obviously decreased due to end of generation + local stores closed due to pandemic.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
The amount of digital sold is a strong boost for PlayStation heading into next gen. The stronger digital libraries are, the harder you get locked.

To those who doubt just look at PC. Despite being an open platform, a ton of Steam users refuse to buy outside Steam.

Unknown?

Can't believe this is still $299 retail. It's going to die so hard once PS5 comes out unless they can drop it permanently to $199.!

It's only lost 1/4 its value. At this point in time PS2 was $129 which was more than half its value.

mckmas8808

Banned
I never get why gamers have become obsessed with sales numbers? I mean if you enjoy their product and i do then just enjoy it.

Because when something is successful and profitable, companies tend to make more of them. And when companies aren't successful in selling something, they stop making them. It's that simple.

I never get why gamers have become obsessed with sales numbers? I mean if you enjoy their product and i do then just enjoy it.

If the product is successful it means that it will most likely continue to exist and have investments made into it.

That in the end can lead to investments in hardware and software which is good for consumers of said products.

Let me put it this way. If Sony only sold 40 million PS4s what do you think would happen?

mckmas8808

Banned
Incredibly impressive numbers. Not sure how OP can rationalize another 38 million after the PS5 launch. As it has been noted, getting to 120 million will be difficult, but not impossible.

It would also make the PS4 the 3rd best selling console of all time!

Getting to 120 million PS4s will be SUPER EASY! Remember the PS4 is still $300 and the PS4 Pro is still $400 freaking dollars!!! I don't know WTH Sony is thinking of selling their hardware for so much but wait until the PS4 hits $199 permanently. Or what happens if the PS4 Pro becomes $199 and they phase out the OG PS4?

yurinka

The PS4 is almost dead and Sony will ensure it's completely dead by 2022. The amount of PS4's that will hit the second hand market once the PS5 is on retail stores will make it impossible to reach the 150 million mark. The PS2 had extremely long legs but the current situation is completely different because the PS3 had a rough start and nowadays we are way more used to planned obsolescense.

But the PS4 had an amazing run. The fact it has surpassed the Wii and the OG Playstation and is approaching Gameboy numbers is simply amazing for our times, when everything goes so fast.
No, they won't kill PS4 that soon, that would be stupid. Yes, PS2 had more legs but also the other PlayStations, that lasted for 10+ years. 10 years would mean late 2013. And PS4 isn't dead at all, they still are breaking records in the current quarter, look at the resetera link included in the IP.

After PS5 release PS4 won't only receive now the typical annual games like FIFA or Just Dance, thanks to its huge install base and the PS5 BC, PS4 will also receive a good amount of -crossgen or not- games both indies, big 3rd parties and even some ones published by Sony. Many of the games we saw in the PS5 conference were crossgen.

On top of that, PS Plus and PS Now from PS4 users generate a ton of money for Sony, so they may want to keep that for the ones who don't upgrade to PS5 during several years, for the longer time possible, something they can do even without releasing new Sony games.

In addition to this, aligning sales PS4 follows closely the PS2 even if at this lifetime point PS2 was cheaper. Sony still has PS4 price cut cards under the sleeve for when they needed to boost PS4 sales and reach new markets when crossing the permanent $199 magic price point.

I think they may not reach 150M, but I think there's many millions of PS4 to be sold and that they will end closer to PS2 numbers than to Game Boy+GameBoy Color (118M, they will pass it this year) total sales numbers.

Last edited:

Raekwon26

150million? I can't see it.

These guys are still making bank with this console and it's no surprise really.

These guys have a new console coming in a couple of months and are still getting ready to hold event talking about new stuff coming to the current system.

THAT'S how you support your player-base.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
It's not just about sales, it's about gaming being healthy especially if PlayStation is your favorite platform

More sales can mean more games get made or bigger budgets for the games being developed

That's just a part of the console wars, the biggest one actually, notice it doesn't happen on PC, no one cares how many CPUs exactly does AMD or Intel sell, how many RTX GPUs Nvidia shipped, there's no Asus vs Gigabyte wars, no nothing. That's just the way it goes, let the kids have their fun.

I've been a PC gamer for ages and I can tell you it has its fair share of fanboy wars like amd Vs nvidia on the gpu side and amd Vs intel on the CPU side of things... it seems no platform is completely free from fanboy crap.

onQ123

Why though, with PS5 coming out. Won't be able to buy any new games.

With Xbox holding on to this generation & Switch being a handheld/ console hybrid 3rd party devs will be making PS4 level games for years to come even if Sony move on to PS5 only games.

Aion002

tenor.gif

You know... Since the beginning of video games, it's an aspect of it, some pick a company and cheers on them like sports teams, others like the numbers to see if their hobby is doing well and others are in for the gifs, wars and jokes...

If you don't understand that.... You are a filthy casual! Go play fortnite or something. This is serious! :messenger_winking_tongue:

On the topic: All hail the king, PS4!

Last edited:
Top Bottom