• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

112.3 million PS4's sold. 45 million PS Plus subscribers as of June, 2020. TLOUII and Ghost of Tsushima selling well.

150 million PS4 sold achievable in the next 2 years?

• Total voters
Sony's Q1 results as of June 30 , 2020. Will update the more info we get.

Q1: March 31, 2020 - June 30, 2020.

Highlights:

112.3 Million PS4's sold as of June 30, 2020. Previous number disclosed was 106 Million as of 12/31/2019.

18.5 Million units of Playstation First-Party Software sold in Q1 or 20.3 % of total PS4 software unit sales.

Q1 Revenue/profit:
5.6 Billion/1.16 Billion USD. (68% YoY growth in profit).

45 Million PS Plus Subscribers.

113 Million Monthly Active users.

Digital software ratio is 74% for Q1 during COVID.

91.0m games sold-in during Q1 FY20! This is 1M per day lol

Credit to ArcaneNLSC ArcaneNLSC for the holla..

https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/20q1_sonypre.pdf
https://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/library/presen/er/pdf/20q1_supplement.pdf

Q1.jpg

Wk.png

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Good sales = platform is strong and visible to consumers = greater RoI for publishers to make better and better games for it and/or to give some niche games a chance in a strong market.
But its coming to the end of life and people still obsessed with sales, the games are coming to and end of life on PS4 to as sony invested in ps5 now.

just buy the games and enjoy them, i personally just find the sales threads a bit bizarre as if all these gamers have shares in sony or summit

-Arcadia-

Banned
Who thought we'd ever see (somewhat) PS2 numbers again? What a crazy generation this ended up being, from the comeback of Sony, to Microsoft's Team Mattrick fall, to Nintendo following up the Wii with their worst selling console ever, then following that up with what might be the best.

I don't think we appreciate what a wacky, crazy ride it's been. There's going to be a lot of stories to tell about this gen.

GHG

Gold Member
I wonder how much of this was a result of covid? Will that number decrease as the virus gets more under control?

The increase will definitely be due to covid and I'd say it most likely won't decrease much due to new habits being formed and people realising how convenient it is.

Just like how workplaces are going to be permanently transformed after this.

Great Hair

Banned
I never get why gamers have become obsessed with sales numbers? I mean if you enjoy their product and i do then just enjoy it.

here we go again
Sony's PlayStation 4 sales were down 25 percent year on year this holiday season, with the company shipping 6.1 million units for a total of 108.9 million as of the end of 2019. ... A total of 14.7 million PS4 units were shipped in 2019, down from 17.7 million in 2018.
Is 5 mill VR dissapointing considering the install base?
I know most company’s will be overjoyed with 5 million sales of a product but is that good or bad?

Not trolling just a valid question. I have yet to get one for my PS4 myself

It says players not copies sold.
coarse I consider it was on pc and if you look at my posts I even say about pc. the fact that the game is on 9 million is a great achievement, as I said I thought that GT sport would of been higher than 5million was a compliment that PS4 has sold so well, but you have to give credit to Microsoft as well because 9 million players is good to
but isn't everybody here saying that people are buying the PS4 for the exclusives, GT sports have been out a good while now and yes I would of expected higher sales

GT sport is a major franchise for Sony, in its first month it was outsold by Forza 7 and with the huge difference in sales between PS4 and Xbox one would you of expected that? I wouldn't of.

as I said the way this forum talks is there is no reason to buy and xbox because Sony has all the exclusives and with the PS4 selling so many units is it hard to think that the games would of sold more than they have?

again not dissing the PS4 or the games
and Sony was championing 5 million players on GT sport the other day, not copies sold but player numbers. how is this different to what Sony do
Talk about salty, who mentioned PS4 level of sales? I said there is nothing like it on PS4 so it COULD sell some consoles. the last Forzr Horzion game shifted 9 million copies
So if you search this very site you will see that last may there was an article that had found out that gamepass had 9.5 million subscribers and since then gamepass has grown more. That’s over a billion in revenue right there. I will let you look for it

You have to look at things like gamepass and xboxlive where they have a steady cash flow coming in. The console sold well despite what people tell you, 50 million is nothing to be sniffed at, also people still playing on the 360 with Xbox live so there is money off that even if they don’t have an Xbox one.

Don’t forget as well even though the PS4 has sold mega numbers Sony as a company are not mega rich, a few years ago they were struggling and the PS4 helped with the cash flow. Both company’s are well off but just because the PS4 sold mega numbers doesn’t mean the company has mega money to spend off that
that's life time sales of Spiderman vs 1 month of gamepass. how long to get to 13million in sales where as game pass by your figures will generate 1.2 billion in a year vs 390 million in a year

Relativ9

150 Millions seems like a lot, I guess if the lower the price of the console to something like 149$ and shipped a bunch of them to South America?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Wait, are you telling me you don't know the sales numbers of your Tv or refrigerator? How can you live like that???

This is low quality trolling... you two do not care about sales, I find it so mysterious that you do not care about sales... puzzling... 🤔, and you come into a thread announcing a company’s financial reports to troll people who care for it? This is starting to sound pathetic mate...

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Awesome success! Also, with that cash flow, there is no way Sony follows MS with the free online. Plus making them all kinds of cash...all kinds.

ZywyPL

Banned
45 million subs? I thought it would be higher than that. That's like just under 0.5 attach rate. I wonder how many are secondary accounts etc. I think it would be more interesting to see how many playstations took advantage of +features instead

Many people use PS4 just for the exclusives and play everything else on PC, just look how often the PS4+PC combo is mentioned just on this forum alone, and PS+ gives absolutely nothing for those SP-only 1st party titles. But yeah, I'd expect the number to be somewhat around 75-85%, not below half of the userbase.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nobody is upset lol your not getting the point though. I own a PS4 and love it i just dont get why people obsessed with sales

Why are you so obsessed with sales to go into a financials and sales thread to question why people look into those for a platform that neither you or turtlepowa turtlepowa seem to really care for?

People already explained why sales are still a worthy metric many times (it just so happens to be discussed in Sony related threads because MS stopped releasing their figures and told its fans that sales do not really matter for some obscure unknowable reason) and yes even this late into the generation as for PlayStation consoles games are still coming out even when a new generation machine launches and they help understand how popular the brand is and how many people could transition to the new generation.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Many people use PS4 just for the exclusives and play everything else on PC, just look how often the PS4+PC combo is mentioned just on this forum alone, and PS+ gives absolutely nothing for those SP-only 1st party titles. But yeah, I'd expect the number to be somewhat around 75-85%, not below half of the userbase.

85% of users being paid PSN+ subscribers? That seems an arbitrarily high number and without being able to compare it to LIVE Gold percentages normalised per the smaller user base it makes it all even more abstract.

I think the number is pretty high for PSN+ considering SP, MMO, and F2P games fo not need PSN+ for online features. This is often not taken into account.

120m will happen but no way 150m.

People will move on from the old console quite quickly, quicker than we've seen in the past I'd say.
They will only sell 7 million consoles till they end production? 135m. Easy. Release a super slim disc-less ps4 with 2months of PS Now for 99$? Easy 150.

Klayzer

Big numbers. The PS4 money train just won't end.

Ohh, and shaking my head at people coming into a sales topic to complain about..... users talking about sales in a sales topic. It amuses me how much sales topics frustrates certain factions.

There's actually no need for any frustration because, all consoles did well in Q1.

splattered

They will probably price the ps5 too high and then offer the ps4 at a much lower price and change their "generations" spin once they see how well the ps4 continues to sell. All the "next gen only" talk will go out the window and we will continue to see a ton of cross gen titles for the next 2 years plus.

Roufianos

I don't use it reaching 150m in the next two years, sales are gonna plummet after PS5 launches.

The only way they could reach that number is by pushing it more in emerging markets but that's gonna be a slow process, maybe in 5 years.

Klayzer

85% of users being paid PSN+ subscribers? That seems an arbitrarily high number and without being able to compare it to LIVE Gold percentages normalised per the smaller user base it makes it all even more abstract.

I think the number is pretty high for PSN+ considering SP, MMO, and F2P games fo not need PSN+ for online features. This is often not taken into account.
Whenever Sony or Microsoft financials gets posted, there's always at least 5-10 posters on either side that can't wait to troll or downplay. Every single time. Only a troll can look at these numbers and think about an angle to "but this" or "expected more" weak bait.

jimbojim

Banned
    • To show how big Revenue are, Q1 FY20 Revenue are higher than any quarter of Xbox (even Oct-Dec quarters)
  • Biggest Revenue ever for PlayStation (and for any platform holder) during a non-Holiday quarter (non-Q3)
    • Top 5 biggest non-Q3 Revenue everis :
      1. Sony Q1 FY20 (April-June 2020 - FF7R/TLOU Part II)
      2. Sony Q2 FY18 (July-Sept 2018 - Spider-Man)
      3. Sony Q4 FY18 (Jan-Mar 2019)
      4. Sony Q1 FY18 (April-June 2018 - God of War/Detroit)
      5. Sony Q1 FY19 (April-June 2019 - Days Gone)

Top Bottom