• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100 Million PS4 sold but don't read too much into it

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
9kONtzB.jpg

Hopefully PS5 knocks it out of the park with full BC to bring the whole Playstation library under one roof. I expect the system to keep selling for several more years like the PS1 and PS2 did. Will probably hit 150+ million when all is said and done.

Gamernyc78

Banned
In before someone comes with the fanboy dumb shit of...... "but Xbox is a tillion dollar company" ooooppppsss tool late lol smfh.

We are talking about gaming divisions here and Sony is the top with highest revues and profits. Microsoft wished it was where Sony is at right now in gaming only an idiot would think otherwise. Those divisions don't have unlimited funds even if a company is worth substantially more.

Good on Sony, great console with the exclusives tht keep me coming back. PS5 here we come with no second thoughts 😁

Last edited:

Kenpachii

I’m not surprised. PlayStation is the first console of choice to almost everyone. Even the ones that aren't considered gamers and just games casually like playing only sports game. That’s why Sony will always be on top even next-gen, they got that kind of base that will buy a console just to play sports game or even just Fortnite or Rocket League

Pretty sure they are the only console, xbox isn't really a thing at this point anymore as its mostly PC now. Switch can't even run modern games and therefore isn't competing with it.

If you go console you go PS4 really specially with the cheapo price.

Last edited:

vpance

And this is all without having that many price drops this gen.

The Xbox One S in the UK can always be had for much cheaper or bundled with more games.

If they did one final price drop before next gen, sales would continue to stay strong.

Is it possible for Sony to make a PS4 chip on 7nm?

A PS4 similar to the size of the PS2 slim would be epic.

With the hardware forecast dropping to 15M that might be a signal of no Slim, but it's possible they could just adjust it again if they announce it in the next 3 months.

mejin

If PS4 sell in was 3.2m in the quarter and Switch was 2.13m I wonder what was Xbox numbers...a million?

thelastword

Banned
Wait til they announce the Xbox One X slim at E3 2020.
A 7nm XBONEX Slim, beta tested in the future...…….Faster framerates, highest resolution, no compromises...…..You want checkerboard rendering, upscaling and all that.....This console is not for you.....Get a PS4, Wii, PRO for that mess.....True 4K is what this about beybae!…...Remember, NO COMPROMISES...

And this is all without having that many price drops this gen.

The Xbox One S in the UK can always be had for much cheaper or bundled with more games.

If they did one final price drop before next gen, sales would continue to stay strong.

Is it possible for Sony to make a PS4 chip on 7nm?

A PS4 similar to the size of the PS2 slim would be epic.
Yes, little to no price drops for the most part......They didn't discount PS4 too much last holiday....Sony is going for profit, they need it to offset their R&D costs......They also know the numbers will come anyway....When PS4 hits $199, they will be right on top in NA again, but they don't need to just yet...….E3 2020 will be a good time for an official price cut.....This holiday they can go gangbusters on temporary discounts.....

As for 7nm, there was some rumors that a 7nm PS4 would be coming, maybe it will be PRO only and that will be the sole PS4 going forward.....We'll see what they reveal in the coming months......The good thing about PS4 is that it will continue selling near PS5's launch if the price goes down much further.....People will buy a cheap PS4 knowing that when they are ready for PS5 maybe 2 years after launch, all their titles will cross over anyway......

I'm suddenly reminded of all of the people who were saying Sony would see at least 30% drop this quarter.

Oh well.
Are these people still around? What are they saying now.....?...Going by history, I'm pretty sure they were pretty adamant about their 30% figures too.....

7,7 billion people and only 100 million of the most popular console sold worldwide . That's what a tinity 1,3 % ? Only a mere 1 in 100 or to be more accurate 13 in a 1000 has PS4 in their homes...... kinda low, if you ask me.

It's safe to come to conclusion that gaming is still exceptionally unpopular worldwide and that makes me a bit sad.

giphy.webp

!Edit: my apologies fixed numbers which made me happier a bit Now it doesn't look that bad, but still only. 13 in 1000.

..yeah yeah i screwed up initially allright?
giphy.webp

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
7,7 billion people and only 100 million of the most popular console sold worldwide . That's what a minity tinity 0,001,2 % ? Only a mere 1,2 people in a 1000 has PS4 in their homes... kinda mega low, if you ask me.

It's safe to come to conclusion that gaming is still exceptionally extraordinary unpopular worldwide and that makes me a bit sad.

giphy.webp
Only 1.4 billion households own a TV set (not sure if that includes old CRTs or not) so it's actually more like 7% of the world's TV-owning population.

DanielsM

Banned
If PS4 sell in was 3.2m in the quarter and Switch was 2.13m I wonder what was Xbox numbers...a million?

I doubt they even came close to a million units, I seriously doubt they are even within 2m units for the year.

Although, numbers for the original xbox are harder to come by, I think its quite easy to say that this will be the worse hardware sales for Xbox in its existence and maybe significantly under. Even during the original Xbox days, it average out at about 5-6m units per year. Unless some drastic happens 5m units might be wishful thinking right now.

I'm surprised that Nintendo said only 2.13m units, it looked to be selling significantly more than PS4. (a little confused by the number)

Last edited:
Sort of. Really to me it just shows that whilst the Switch is doing well, it's not setting the world on fire like some people love to proclaim. Also the honeymoon is over, the Zelda, Smash & Mario games are getting cold and Nintendo's other releases don't get as much attention. It's sales will spike again when new ones come out (Nintendo obviously know this, that's why they've wasted no time announcing a Breath of the Wild sequel when normally it takes them years and knocking out a Zelda remake so fast. I'm sure they'll soon announce a new Mario Kart & mainline Mario before the year's out).

Of course with a 7 year old console outselling a brand new system, I really don't see a bright future for the Switch once the PS5 & Scarlett come out. Speaking of which, such a large install base, the PS5 should have a decent head start. What with retro compat already confirmed and the carry over of online services.

You can say that the PS4 has a lead of more than 60.000.000 consoles sold (to retailers) than the Switch. That is a big gap, to big😉

thelastword

Banned
January - March 2019 :
PS4 : 2.6 million
Switch : 2.46 million

April - June 2019 :
PS4 : 3.2 million
Switch : 2.13 million

PS4 6 years and still at 299$ crazy !
Evil, can you give us a breakdown of PS4 vs Switch worldwide for the last 3 years...…..2017, 2018, 2019.....

That does not matter. MAU is where it's at boys.
100 million PS4's????? Pfft, that's nothing.......Come back to me when you've killed a 1 billion skeletons online Sony......How about 200 million Krakens killed? Get with the times Sony or get out,...….

Disclaimer; MS just cashed out their online monthly Kraken Kills.....just moments ago at the Bank of RedMond……(xbox division)

Klayzer

I was expecting a pretty sizable drop in hardware sales this quarter. Don't think anybody could have predicted an almost 3% gain compared to last quarter. World wide sales consistency for PlayStation is incredible.

NPD figures really doesn't show how well the PS4 is really doing.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Whatyearisit.gif

The whole "shipped not sold through" is some 7th gen fanboy sophistry and has never been valid. Console manufacturers always only report sold to retailer because once it's shipped they get paid. It's literally impossible for them to actually know how many consoles have been sold to customers.

Agreed. As someone that use to work in receiving at Home Depot, I know this to be true.

When "We" as in Home Depot buys a shipment of something, that conversation with the vendor basically ends. Only time we talk back with them is if we are looking to buy or refund........thats basically it. As to why WE would tell them how much of it sold is beyond me. We have no ode to track that info, its irrelevant to us, we only care about how much money the store made, the exact amount of anyone one product is irrelevant if its a 3rd party, as in not our own product. If anyone, folks need to look at it like this.

Lets say you own a small store, lets say in this small store you go to Costco or Sams Club etc to buy a 32 case of soda.

You calling Coca Cola to tell them HOW MUCH soda you sold?

Why?

TLZ

Banned
If I'm not wrong PS4 is ahead Switch at the same period.

37.3m vs 36.87m
Yea possibly. I don't really know the numbers. But he'll still take a random number of days off until that number is in Switch's favor then announce.

For example: PS4 beat Switch total up-to-date during same period (28 months).
Piscatella: "Switch is the fastest selling console in the history of the universe at exactly this moment of posting of 27 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 7hrs, 48mins and 19s. Have to shout about this now because one second later it won't be. And I dislike Sony. Hunh."

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Thats great to hear, and hoping to lay off their stupid policy so I wouldn’t have to worry about if my favourite games going to get censored or not.

iconmaster

Banned
Only 1.4 billion households own a TV set (not sure if that includes old CRTs or not) so it's actually more like 7% of the world's TV-owning population.

And that's only for one very recent console. It doesn't account for any other device, including older machines that are still getting played.

One report claims there were 2.2 billion gamers worldwide in 2017. 42% mobile, so if that bothers you call it 1.3 billion instead.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
And that's only for one very recent console. It doesn't account for any other device, including older machines that are still getting played.

One report claims there were 2.2 billion gamers worldwide in 2017. 42% mobile, so if that bothers you call it 1.3 billion instead.
Thanks for the statistics. 2.2b gamers is impressive.

Mobile gamers are gamers. Adults bought Game Boys and played Tetris. Adults played Pac Man in bars and bowling alleys before arcades existed. The "casual gamer" phenomenon is nothing new. I wish mobile gaming was taken more seriously, actually, but alas.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Fantastic news

Maybe it wont be enough to beat PS2 but I can see PS4 reaching 120-130 lifetime sales

That alone already is an incredible numbers

thelastword

Banned
PS4 had so much against it this gen...……...NO BC, Where's MA Crossplay, NO EA access almost all gen, NO Power of Da CLoud, NO E3 2019, (some Flute guys at E3 2018 haha, pitiful), NO True 4k console, all it had was that checkerboard and upscaling BS... Hell, it's hardware was definitely compromised as it couldn't deliver on the best framerates and native rez as the competition..........I mean the whole gen Sony has been anti-consumer......…with crossplay and censorship...…How in the eff did they sell a 100 million consoles.......???????

This is certainly not adding up, and with little in pricedrops too.......Sony should have been buried this gen if I'm honest....

PS4 is a downright great hardware, this is a tremendous achievement in a weird time for the industry. Playstation as a brand is just too strong.

iconmaster

Banned
it couldn't deliver on the best framerates and native rez as the competition

Hang on. The Xbox One was infamous for resorting to 900p in most games where the the PS4 managed native 1080. PS4 was the performance leader until Xbox One X came along, very late in the game.

This is certainly not adding up, and with little in pricedrops too.......Sony should have been buried this gen if I'm honest....

Or maybe you’re just not terribly objective on this point.

Last edited:
PS4 had so much against it this gen...……...NO BC, Where's MA Crossplay, NO EA access almost all gen, NO Power of Da CLoud, NO E3 2019, (some Flute guys at E3 2018 haha, pitiful), NO True 4k console, all it had was that checkerboard and upscaling BS... Hell, it's hardware was definitely compromised as it couldn't deliver on the best framerates and native rez as the competition..........I mean the whole gen Sony has been anti-consumer......…with crossplay and censorship...…How in the eff did they sell a 100 million consoles.......???????

Seriously, go for a walk or something. Step away and like... do something.

Top Bottom