• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100 Million PS4 sold but don't read too much into it

onQ123

1564467151-capture-d-ecran-2019-07-30-a-08-12-15.png

Geki-D

Banned
On a more serious note, OP, that's shipped, not sold through (although the difference won't be big).
Whatyearisit.gif

The whole "shipped not sold through" is some 7th gen fanboy sophistry and has never been valid. Console manufacturers always only report sold to retailer because once it's shipped they get paid. It's literally impossible for them to actually know how many consoles have been sold to customers.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Will definitely beat PS1 and Wii this year, making it second best selling home console (and 3rd best selling overall console since PS2 and NDS are near each other).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
On a more serious note, OP, that's shipped, not sold through (although the difference won't be big).

Sure, but notice that they are keeping less and less units stocked too. A few years ago they may have over shipped a bit too much, but the situation improved.

Geki-D

Banned
Interestingly, during the last quarter PS4 outshipped Switch worldwide by over 1 million units, counter to NPD trends for the US.

That's pretty damn impressive for a console close to entering its last year.
Sort of. Really to me it just shows that whilst the Switch is doing well, it's not setting the world on fire like some people love to proclaim. Also the honeymoon is over, the Zelda, Smash & Mario games are getting cold and Nintendo's other releases don't get as much attention. It's sales will spike again when new ones come out (Nintendo obviously know this, that's why they've wasted no time announcing a Breath of the Wild sequel when normally it takes them years and knocking out a Zelda remake so fast. I'm sure they'll soon announce a new Mario Kart & mainline Mario before the year's out).

Of course with a 7 year old console outselling a brand new system, I really don't see a bright future for the Switch once the PS5 & Scarlett come out. Speaking of which, such a large install base, the PS5 should have a decent head start. What with retro compat already confirmed and the carry over of online services.

Last edited:

Robins

And this is all without having that many price drops this gen.

The Xbox One S in the UK can always be had for much cheaper or bundled with more games.

If they did one final price drop before next gen, sales would continue to stay strong.

Is it possible for Sony to make a PS4 chip on 7nm?

A PS4 similar to the size of the PS2 slim would be epic.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Is it possible for Sony to make a PS4 chip on 7nm?
It depends, not sure they plan to grow the user base super massively in the next 2-3 years (albeit there are territories where a price drop could help) to warrant the investment of commissioning a 7nm die shrink of the existing SoC to AMD and diverting attention from the PS5 chipset... then again maybe it could be used to test and push the manufacturing node with a known design. Even in this case though, AMD already has lots of practical high performance and high complexity 7nm designs wit Ryzen 2, Vega, and Navi.

Evilms

Banned
The console of the generation, well deserved.

Now, no doubt the 101.63 million of the Wii and 102.49 million of the PS1 will be exceeded before the end of the year.

1564469298-capture-d-ecran-2019-07-30-a-08-47-57.png

100 million PS4s and 1 billion games sold.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Should the PS5 have a softish launch since we will have almost 120 million ps4 consoles sold by the time it launches and they somewhat use the same architecture couldn't the PS4 be the 1080 p version and the ps5 the super good looking 4k version?

edit: I just remembered that they said that the ps4 had like 3 more years in it I think. Which would work well if Sony doesn't straight up abandon it after the PS5 launch.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Should the PS5 have a softish launch since we will have almost 120 million ps4 consoles sold by the time it launches and they somewhat use the same architecture couldn't the PS4 be the 1080 p version and the ps5 the super good looking 4k version?

edit: I just remembered that they said that the ps4 had like 3 more years in it I think. Which would work well if Sony doesn't straight up abandon it after the PS5 launch.

PS4 could be the 320p version.

Vawn

Banned
Every gamer should be happy about how much PlayStation dominated this generation, because it shows these companies only one thing really matters - which platform has the best games.

As long as all three platforms go into next generation with that mindset we should be in for another great decade of console gaming.

Heinrich

Banned
Xbros we can still win!!

Lol:

Sony has cut its annual revenue forecast that was set only three months ago after lowering its sales outlook for the PlayStation 4 gaming console, televisions and smartphones. The lower guidance on Tuesday came after the Japanese entertainment and technology group reported a 1.9 per cent year on year drop in revenue to ¥1.9tn ($17.5bn) during the fiscal first quarter ending in June 2019. Quarterly net profit fell 33 per cent to ¥152bn

Ops, doesn't look so good now, right?

Meanwhile at microsoft:

Microsoft's big earnings report: Stock ticks up, eclipses $1 trillion in market cap

Evilms

Banned
WiiU: 102.85 million games / 13.56 million consoles = 7.6 ratio
XBX: 165 million games / 24 million consoles = 10.5
NGC: 208.57 million games / 21.74 million consoles = 9.6
NSW: 210.13 million games / 36.87 million consoles = 5.7
N64: 224.97 million games / 32.93 million consoles = 6.8
PSP: 331 million games / 76.4 million consoles = 3.8
GBA: 377.42 million games / 81.51 million consoles = 4.6
SNES: 379.06 million games / 49.10 million consoles = 7.7
3DS: 379.6 million games / 75.28 million consoles = 5
NES: 500.01 million games / 61.91 million consoles = 8
GB+Color: 501.11 million games / 118.69 million consoles = 4.2
Wii: 920.81 million games / 101.63 million consoles = 9
360: 937 million games / 84 million consoles = 11
NDS: 948.64 million games / 154.02 million consoles = 6.1
PS1: 962 million games / 102.49 million consoles = 9.2
PS3: 999.4 million games / 87.4 million consoles = 11
PS4: 1 billion games / 100 million consoles = 10
PS2: 1.537 billion games / 155.1 million consoles = 10

*PS vita and Xbox One games/consoles sales have not been included.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
History has shown us that the first company to reach 100 million in console sales wins the generation battle. They are uniquely positioned to set a new benchmark for the industry.

Vawn

Banned
After the Phillips CDi and the Panasonic 3D0, when I heard Sony was making a video game console, I didn't think it had a chance. Look where we are now. Most of the best selling home consoles are PlayStations.

DanielsM

Banned
They're clearly having a problem competing. /s

About what I was saying over the last few months, without a price cut, not expecting 16m units like they forecasted last quarter... probably in the 12-15m range. Definitely some softness leading into PS5, which is expected. Also, not many good games are coming out this year.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

DanielsM

Banned

Possibly selling faster than the PS2, I knew it was close.

Mista

Banned
I’m not surprised. PlayStation is the first console of choice to almost everyone. Even the ones that aren't considered gamers and just games casually like playing only sports game. That’s why Sony will always be on top even next-gen, they got that kind of base that will buy a console just to play sports game or even just Fortnite or Rocket League

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Well, Sony is dying. If the other parts of the company fail, here will be no playstation anymore.

I take it you can't read financial documents?

Actually, operating profits are pretty much up across the board but Gaming is slightly down as we approach PS5. Mobile is back to black and movies as well.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned

God Enel

I’m not surprised. PlayStation is the first console of choice to almost everyone. Even the ones that aren't considered gamers and just games casually like playing only sports game. That’s why Sony will always be on top even next-gen, they got that kind of base that will buy a console just to play sports game or even just Fortnite or Rocket League

True. I know a lot of people only buying a Playstation only for Fifa. Each generation they're playing the same shitty game.

Mista

Banned
True. I know a lot of people only buying a Playstation only for Fifa. Each generation they're playing the same shitty game.
I know lots of people close to me that aren’t gamers but have a PlayStation just to play Rocket League or FIFA. That’s why I believe PlayStation will always be leading because they’re the #1 choice. So props to them for reaching this far

Top Bottom