• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

100 Million PS4 sold but don't read too much into it

That ship sailed, son. As evident by your continued obsession on what people did many, many years ago. You're one of those "always an xbot" kids. You wish for others to fail more than being concerned with what you like.
You are a toxic gamer.

You can spin it as many times you want and how you want. Btw. few years ago isn't many years ago. Calling me a toxic gamer....LOL. Looks who's talking, a former member of toxic looney forum. It wasn't me.

Last edited:
You can spin it as many times you want and how you want. Btw. few years ago isn't many years ago. Calling me a toxic gamer....LOL. Looks who's talking, a former member of toxic looney forum. It wasn't me.
4 years ago, almost exactly, since I told them they are full of shit.

Yes, you are toxic. Read your own shit. It's always what you hate or making fun of what others like. You can't even enjoy a PS thread without "xbox durrr lol" type shit.
Toxic.

Gamernyc78

Banned
PS4 had so much against it this gen...……...NO BC, Where's MA Crossplay, NO EA access almost all gen, NO Power of Da CLoud, NO E3 2019, (some Flute guys at E3 2018 haha, pitiful), NO True 4k console, all it had was that checkerboard and upscaling BS... Hell, it's hardware was definitely compromised as it couldn't deliver on the best framerates and native rez as the competition..........I mean the whole gen Sony has been anti-consumer......…with crossplay and censorship...…How in the eff did they sell a 100 million consoles.......???????

This is certainly not adding up, and with little in pricedrops too.......Sony should have been buried this gen if I'm honest....

Ps4 wiped the floor with og Xbox literally in almost everything from better multiplats, to better exclusives, better os, faster installs, shareplay, etc.... Let's not act like because the Xbox X came out years later it suddenly changed the playing field bcus it didn't, vast majority of Xbox gamers own an og Xbox, not an X and suffer because of it.

Did i mention the generally perceived better exclusives tht sell gangbusters are found on Playstation :)

I know your post was a parody but I had to respond just in case it wasn't lol 😂😂😂

NickFire

If I were a MS suit I'd be questioning whether the push towards backwards compatibility is backfiring big time. From a consumer's perspective that has been a wonderful move and they deserve props for it. From a business perspective though, oh boy! Maybe Sony would have done it no matter what, but had it not been seen as a vital feature and wasn't taken up, there'd be somewhere close to 100 million people with one less reason to buy a PS5.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
I felt like the shift actually occurred long ago, as far back as 2007, or the beginning of the shift. As Wii dominated with a casual (two Gamecubes duct taped together console), while MS/Sony pour billions into the more hardcore experience. This lead to some very bad decision, in my opinion. I felt like Sony double down on the core and hardcore players and games, and Microsoft went the other way.

Early days of Xbox were great, imo, 2001-2008... after 2009 slow steady decline although sales peaked a few years later.

Peter Moore and his team made the 360, and i guess the xbox brand as people fondly remember it from 2005-2010. Don Matterick took over after Moore and took xbox in more casual direction. Don Mattrick tried to have his cake and eat it too with the xbox one launch. I believe the decline of xbox happened when Phil became head of first party studios under Mattrick in 2009 or 10. When Phil took over most of MS's lower selling games stopped being made and thats when they doubled down on gears, halo forza. Kinect being the hit that it was sealed the deal and MS went full casual.

thelastword

Banned
To be fair, his didn’t either, of they were ever going to give us a cheaper launch PS3, it would be a drastically different console, as to whether it would be mind blowing successful like its predecessor and successor is anyone’s guess and all hypothetical what ifs.

Still it’s a great achievement for the PS4, and Sony.
The point is simple, the PS3 pushed features and technologies that made the console much more expensive than the competition. Had PS3 just done the bare minimum like the other consoles..... It would have been cheaper.... I'm talking; No PS2 chipset on the main board, no bluray, no optical, less USB ports.....

People forget OG 360 had no OG XBOX chip, no HDMI ports, no built in wireless adapter, no optical, no bluray drive, which was much more expensive to implement then. OG 360 had no built in power supply, even then, it was not dual volted like the PS3's...... All of this cost much more to put together in a box and to cool it all down by Sony, yet PS3 never shit over itself with a 54% defect rate like the 360, which was essentially a simple and plain box vs the PS3........where you needed many external peripherals to implement extra features which came hardwired in all PS3's...... IN 2019, You can buy an OG PS3 and still connect it to all modern monitors as well as old ones, use WiFi, play blurays, connect your HT for the best sound and USE the best DLNA, online is still free...... So a console which was so expensive coming a year later and still overtaking the 360, speaks a lot to if it pared back some features......In essence, If Sony was not so ambitious with it and just gave the basics like the competition, PS3 would have easily sold over 100 million units, because it would be cheaper...... I guess Sony learned that lesson hard, that's why they only pushed memory and the GPU this gen, no need for UHD BLURAY, BC and all that jazz... The results for PS4 speaks to the adjustments they made from PS3's $600 price point....

Price was PS3's only stumbling block, not worse multiplats, thats irrelevant for the most part, they had the best exclusives and its what made them eclipse 360 worldwide......Yet, even then, it was still expensive to produce, having never seen a sub $200 price point....... PS2 sold the most, but people forget, it debuted at $299 and saw many price reductions below $199......PS3 never got there and it's the biggest lesson they learnt that gen...... A well priced console once you're delivering the quality exclusives is unstoppable.

DonJimbo

If Microsoft has balls they would tell us the sales of the Xbox One and the Xbox One X...
But Microsoft has no balls😂.. but but but but Gamepass and Xbox Live😉
Sorry for Disappointing you im not a xbox Fanboy i play exclusively on the playstation since the First one ;)
Yeah its better when both companies Show their hw sales numbers divided
Youre so childish how old are you maybe a Teenager

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
a man from the future I see.
Hey come on, PS5 is already a lock for pole position..... :messenger_beaming:

I answer that for you....the higher prices in the USA for the PS4 (the fight between orange face Trump and China) will save Xbox😂
Oh boy, XBOX fans really go deep......Trump will save XBOX just as much as he will save ASAP ROCKY.....

A blast from the past.....

Trump fires Playstation Staff......

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2016...nald_trump_to_fire_fake_playstation_employees

Texas Pride

Banned
If I were a MS suit I'd be questioning whether the push towards backwards compatibility is backfiring big time. From a consumer's perspective that has been a wonderful move and they deserve props for it. From a business perspective though, oh boy! Maybe Sony would have done it no matter what, but had it not been seen as a vital feature and wasn't taken up, there'd be somewhere close to 100 million people with one less reason to buy a PS5.

MS putting an emphasis on BC ironically pushed Sony into building it into the PS5 which will ironically help Sony retain their user base from PS4 to PS5. Meaning less folks inclined to jump to Xbox bcs they're already tied into the Playstation ecosystem. Unintended consequence I'm sure but it won't help move Sony's customers to MS.

Pallas

The point is simple, the PS3 pushed features and technologies that made the console much more expensive than the competition. Had PS3 just done the bare minimum like the other consoles..... It would have been cheaper.... I'm talking; No PS2 chipset on the main board, no bluray, no optical, less USB ports.....

People forget OG 360 had no OG XBOX chip, no HDMI ports, no built in wireless adapter, no optical, no bluray drive, which was much more expensive to implement then. OG 360 had no built in power supply, even then, it was not dual volted like the PS3's...... All of this cost much more to put together in a box and to cool it all down by Sony, yet PS3 never shit over itself with a 54% defect rate like the 360, which was essentially a simple and plain box vs the PS3........where you needed many external peripherals to implement extra features which came hardwired in all PS3's...... IN 2019, You can buy an OG PS3 and still connect it to all modern monitors as well as old ones, use WiFi, play blurays, connect your HT for the best sound and USE the best DLNA, online is still free...... So a console which was so expensive coming a year later and still overtaking the 360, speaks a lot to if it pared back some features......In essence, If Sony was not so ambitious with it and just gave the basics like the competition, PS3 would have easily sold over 100 million units, because it would be cheaper...... I guess Sony learned that lesson hard, that's why they only pushed memory and the GPU this gen, no need for UHD BLURAY, BC and all that jazz... The results for PS4 speaks to the adjustments they made from PS3's $600 price point....

Price was PS3's only stumbling block, not worse multiplats, thats irrelevant for the most part, they had the best exclusives and its what made them eclipse 360 worldwide......Yet, even then, it was still expensive to produce, having never seen a sub $200 price point....... PS2 sold the most, but people forget, it debuted at $299 and saw many price reductions below $199......PS3 never got there and it's the biggest lesson they learnt that gen...... A well priced console once you're delivering the quality exclusives is unstoppable.

Doesn’t change the fact they did all of that stuff AND came out a year later. You’re sprouting off what if’s, sure if they kept the machine basic, and released around the same time as the 360 then who knows. It’s alt game history lol

But to talk about some of your comments ...

Sony needed Blu-Ray in the PS3 I feel like, to push an affordable blu-Ray player out(the PS3 was pretty cheap when compared to blu-Ray players back during the launch) when it’s competitor at the time HDDVD, was cheaper iirc.

Multiplats were for the most part better on the 360, that’s been stated countless times. While I’ll agree that their first party games, are especially later in the generation were pretty good graphics wise/performance wise, you can blame the alien architecture of the PS3 for that. The 360 was just easy to
developed for on most Multiplats.

Aye 360 had a abysmal failure rate during the launch and needed several peripheral accessories if you wanted to do stuff like online gaming. It also came out a year earlier, and most of not all issues were remedy when newer revisions were released like the slim. I’m skeptical about your percentage of failure rate, since I found conflicting sources that says it was lower. The PS3 also had about 10% failure rate, not as nearly high but they weren’t untouchable. Wii ends up with the lowest failure rate.

Site mentions 54.2% failure rate from a survey.

The Xbox 360 breaks five times as often as its closest failure-prone competitor, the PlayStation 3, a print edition-only Game Informer survey found.
The poorly manufactured, red ring of death-prone console has a 54.2 percent failure rate, compared to 10.6 percent for the PS3 and the Wii’s 6.8 percent.
The magazine surveyed nearly 5,000 readers to get the data. And while the 360’s rate is alarmingly higher than the others, it’s still bafflingly low because it blows the mind to imagine that 45.8 percent of the consoles have not broken. Also, Microsoft’s numbers are inflated because 360s are used the most of the three consoles. Results said 40.3 percent of 360 owners use the console three to five hours a day, compared to 37 percent of PS3 owners. Meanwhile, the plurality of Wii owners (41.4 percent) play their consoles less than an hour a day.

Another site reported it around 23.7%

Hot on the heels of a controversial Game Informer survey comes a new study that also pegs the Xbox 360 as the least reliable console on the market. Electronics-warranty company SquareTrade has issued a survey of 16,000 game consoles it serviced from the second quarter of 2007 to the first quarter of 2009. The report analyzed approximately 2,500 PlayStation 3s, 2,500 Xbox 360s and 11,000 Wiis selected at random. (The company found Wii owners much more likely to buy warranties.) All consoles had been purchased new and had not been damaged by their owners.

As with the Game Informer study, SquareTrade found that the Xbox 360's failure rate was far higher than its rivals. Some 23.7 percent of those surveyed failed within two years of purchase: 12 percent from the infamous "Red Ring of Death" and 11.7 percent from other problems, including the "E74" error. Both problems are covered by the 360's three-year manufacturer's warranty, which the company began offering in 2007 for a cost of over $1 billion.

Of course none of these are numbers official or came from their respected company.

But seriously, this is going way off topic. Sorry if I derailed or helped derailed it.

Last edited:

mango drank

Xbros we can still win!!

m8wwpgP.gif

Vawn

Banned
MS putting an emphasis on BC ironically pushed Sony into building it into the PS5 which will ironically help Sony retain their user base from PS4 to PS5.

No it didn't. PS4 didn't have BC with PS3 because the way PS3 was built, it would have drove the price up.

Every PlayStation aside from the PS4 has BC with the prior generation. The Xbox One is not the inventor of BC., nor did it affect sales enough to "force" Sony to do anything.

Stuart360

Congrats to Sony on a pretty amazing success all being told. I may have a problem with Sony fanboys, but not Sony or Playstation itself. I just hope Microsoft can put up more of a fight next gen because Sony and Microsoft are not the enemy to consoles anymore, its Stadia and the countless other streaming services we will see next gen.

Last edited:

Pallas

No it didn't. PS4 didn't have BC with PS3 because the way PS3 was built, it would have drove the price up.

Every PlayStation aside from the PS4 has BC with the prior generation. The Xbox One is not the inventor of BC., nor did it affect sales enough to "force" Sony to do anything.

??? Pretty sure he wasn’t implying that PS4 or even the PS5 should be backwards compatible with the PS3. Though the PS4 can and should of been backwards compatible with PS1-PS2 discs, or why it’s PSN catalog of digital backwards compatible games are severely lacking compare to PS3.

Here’s hoping the PS5 will bring that but I’m not holding my breath(hoping at least they bring more digital content that the PS3 enjoys)

klosos

Look let's be honest there was never a competition for domenance this genration, it was over before it started with mictosofts press conference error (maybe the biggest ever in the game industry) In 2013 allways on drm, power of the clouds nonsense.

However what Sony did was capitalise on that mistake by bringing top quality PS only IP's eg Bloodborne so on. Which Completely straggled the life out of the competition.

That's the story of the generation, so congratulations to Sony for that.

what's more is now under Phil Spencer and the acquisition of multiple studios is what there long term strategy will be for Microsoft. Hopefully they stick to Gamepass as mostly a PC gamer I get great value from it and I don't need to purchase another console from them.

thelastword

Banned
MS putting an emphasis on BC ironically pushed Sony into building it into the PS5 which will ironically help Sony retain their user base from PS4 to PS5. Meaning less folks inclined to jump to Xbox bcs they're already tied into the Playstation ecosystem. Unintended consequence I'm sure but it won't help move Sony's customers to MS.
I won't even say that, MS pushed BC because they had current gen games, still had to rely on older gen 1 and gen 2 XBOX games to try selling their consoles....Yet, you can offer Ninja Gaiden 1+2 at 4k 60fps, people will not be flooding the stores to get an XBONEX just for that, they want good games built ground up for the XBONEX....In a way that's why remasters/remakes do better, because they offer more, they update the graphics, sometimes improve the gameplay and camera....

Tbh, In as much as I think BC is a no brainer next gen, I don't think it will matter too much in selling PS5's...….Great PS5 games will sell PS5 and I think it will be one of these gens where people commonly say "I don't think this could have been done on PS4", because of the massive jump in the CPU...….SSD etc....

So yes, Sony is not offering BC because of MS, if they could offer PS3 support on PS4 they would....They're doing it because they always did when they could and they were the pioneers of full BC in a console btw.....Not this partial/drip-feeding BC that XBOX has....

Has somebody performed an analysis on whether or not the losses attributed to the PS3 have paid off or will pay off in terms of revenue associated with blu-ray (licensing, hardware, in R&D, etc.)?
There was more losses associated with the 360, RROD, lots of failed kinect software and cancelled projects......Even Ryse was once a Kinect project that never shipped on the 360....

Yet, you ask a good question.....PS3's R&D was 4 billion, Sony went for the full monty (Cell+Bluray).......Both New technologies, bluray won, Toshiba tried pushing cell in some of it's devices, but it didn't pan out.......I think cell was also implemented in some medical and laboratory equipment, Sony tried to push it's appeal with folding at home etc.......Still not only that, Sony also put it's PS2 chipset on PS3, so when they trimmed down and removed some of the hardware features, they were able to drop the price and push the PS3 slim.........

But yes, From 2008, Sony started selling lots of software, they had severaL Goty's......They also sold lots of multiplat software.....Yes, 360 dominated in NA and the UK, but Sony dominated everywhere else, that's why people who just focused on NA were missing a beat, because this is where Sony caught up....Towards the end of the gen, more people chose PS3 because of free online, which means more multiplat software....I know people who bought games just for trophies, because they preferred the aesthetics to achievements.......Also, many people subbed to PS-PLUS for the games, that's money made by Sony......People bought blurays, I bought quite a few myself and PS3 was one of the best bluray players at the time........Now, bluray is the format standard, they're picking up royalties from MS this gen and from others since last gen.........

With UC selling millions, GOW3 selling millions, GT5 selling millions, LOU selling millions, GTA selling more on PS3, plus all the other revenue streams like PS PLus and bluray royalties...Sony made their money back.......

farmerboy

At this point, I'm super curious what cashed-up, confident Sony, has in store for us with PS5.

I've said it before, but I just have this feeling that they're prepping something special. Full BC with everything? Including Vita? Monster specs? PSVR2?

Congrats Sony on the 100 million. Well deserved.

Has there been any official statement from Sony about this milestone yet?

zcaa0g

Banned
Where are those fanboys defending Xbox's 48% hardware sales drop saying PS4 would have a big drop too, because it is expected this late in the gen?!

Hardware sales for PS4 was actually UP by 2.7% lmao.

You must have a very sad life getting all emotional about a video game console.

thelastword

Banned
At this point, I'm super curious what cashed-up, confident Sony, has in store for us with PS5.

I've said it before, but I just have this feeling that they're prepping something special. Full BC with everything? Including Vita? Monster specs? PSVR2?

Congrats Sony on the 100 million. Well deserved.

Has there been any official statement from Sony about this milestone yet?
Lol, don't overhype. In a minute X fans will say Sony promised all of that and they didn't deliver...…..They will say they're disappointed and will now "not buy the PS5" because Sony didn't give BC with; PS1, PSP, PS2, PS3, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast etc......

Clearly, they were going to buy a PS5 if it delivered such.... :messenger_smirking: ....Cancelled PS5 pre-orders and all that Jazz......

xool

Old friend the Logistics Curve right there. PS4 still on an upward trajectory. Would be crazy to expect less than 135million cumulative sales. Who knows just how high.

Do they need a super-slim and a price cut to keep finding new markets though ??

Could have been 5 out of 5 if Ken never had gone Krazy.

Stay strong

Last edited:
Top Bottom