• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 years later, every Smash Bros. fighter finally has an Amiibo. Sakurai says his work is "done"

Draugoth

Gold Member

Nearly ten years after the collection began, Nintendo has finally released the final character in the Super Smash Bros. Amiibo roster.

Kingdom Hearts’ Sora, the final DLC fighter for Switch entry Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, was released on Friday, meaning that the entire roster for the series is now available in figurine form.

F5_iYtAacAAjAWR-1024x576.jpeg

Reacting to Sora’s release on X, Smash Bros. director Masahiro Sakurai wrote:

“Now that all the fighters have been made into amiibo, I guess my work on Smash Bros. Ultimate is finally coming to an end. Thank you for your hard work.”

jcorb

Honestly, I wonder if we’ll ever see anything like Smash Ultimate again. I wasn’t even that into the game itself, but the hype surrounding new reveals and trailers was just unlike anything else I’ve ever experienced.

I also don’t see a world in which Nintendo will ever be able to surpass what Smash Ultimate did. Not unless they have contracts that allow them to retain characters for future “updates” to Smash Ultimate, and they treat it like a live-service game (which I honestly think would make a lot of sense for Smash).

At the very least, I would love if they were able to bring the game to the next Nintendo console, and just give every character at least one actual Alt Costume, and maybe bring back Melee’s Adventure Mode (it would be awesome to have actual gaming stages to roam through as a platformer).

Robb

Gold Member
I also don’t see a world in which Nintendo will ever be able to surpass what Smash Ultimate did
Yeah I doubt we’ll ever see anything like this again, at least not in terms of the roster. I have no idea how they managed to get all these characters into the game, not to mention stages, trophies, music etc. Must’ve been a licensing nightmare.

Sakurai and his team are absolute madmen.

Last edited:

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
When it comes to Smash I always end up going back to Smash 64 most of the other games are good in different ways but they never really recaptured that magic. I could play Smash 64 forever.

Astral Dog

Its not over for me until i see Dante and Resident Evil properly represented in a Smash Bros game, other than that, its the ultimate fighting game made of gamer dreams

Last edited:

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I think a fair move for the future of Smash would be maybe limiting it to a couple of franchises and billing it as a "PROPERTY A Vs. PROPERTY B,"

It would streamline things just by way of having two general "vibes," to develop off of. Let's say Mario vs. Zelda. You only have two artstyles to develop key art, environments, characters and music for. You can have your basic swordsman overdose with various Link types, your Mario sets. You have a couple of heavy set character types with Bowser and Ganon.

All the secret characters will be less surprising, but less of a pain in the ass to license. Also, limiting to two franchises would make most secret characters deep-cuts from said franchise.

Maybe towards the end of the game's life cycle, integrate a DLC character or two from the franchises of the next Smash up.

Fuck it, go all in with the crazy player feedback. Schedule twenty of these franchise fighters and look at the most played characters or highest voted from those twenty games and create a fan voted All-Star Smash roster for the cap off. First of it's kind. You could see a Zelda representative being Tingle with nary a Link in sight, should the data dictate it. Pay me, Nintendo. Pass that shit.

Doom85

His not allowed rest until I get my Kid Icarus Uprising!
1b56fb0a6a016195243baaf9d57b7c12ae5b786c_hq.gif

Sakurai:

sad homer simpson GIF

But for real, I do want him to retire if he needs to. We don’t want another Kentaro Miura tragedy. Having said that, IIRC he is doing better now, but let the man work at a healthy pace.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Sakurai:

sad homer simpson GIF

But for real, I do want him to retire if he needs to. We don’t want another Kentaro Miura tragedy. Having said that, IIRC he is doing better now, but let the man work at a healthy pace.
For real....I......WANT.....MY......FUCKING......Kid Icarus Uprising.

Sakurai...get your ass up!
6BFF66818BA7880207013E2DAAA8A282DFBF576E

Last edited:
Top Bottom