• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Impossible Gameboy Advance Ports

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
video games 90s GIF by HuffPost

EDMIX

images

This classic right here is why I don't sell my systems folks. I put more hours on GBA on this, then on my actual GBA lol

A.Romero A.Romero You and me both. I love the games, but just don't game portably anymore tbh. Let me play that shit on a tv in peace lol I would have played DS and 3DS just as much if they just made an option to actually play on a TV like with the GB Player. I played a few games on a monitor using a set up a friend of mine put together for speeds runs. I'm good friends with someone who held a few world records for some Zelda titles and other Nintendo games.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Great thread. I was always fascinated with how far the GBA was able to be pushed. I remember being really impressed with GTA on it and in my young mind it looked just as good as the ps1 version. I remember seeing all the Raylight Blue Roses (I think) engine demos and being amazed. Not sure how many actually materialised as full games but the technology was impressive.

I've spent a bit of time with my GBA after modding it earlier this year and it's still a great system.

Ps. Tony hawk looked like it dropped a few frames there. Another clear with for Xbox.

Astral Dog

Zelda Minish Cap is a beautiful game, the Castlevanias and MegaMan Zero look great too GBA had many gorgeous original games, some among my favorites ever

Last edited:
Why do the people who make videos like this always look utterly unkempt and demented?

That aside, I do love learning more about the Game Boy Advance (yes, Game Boy is two words).

Quasicat

To me, the Golden Sun games were impressive on the hardware although it was not a port from anything. The first time it did the quasi 3D camera thing in battle, I was excited to see what more the system could do.

nkarafo

Anyway, pretty bad video. The only good example in it is the Asterix game. The rest of the games that deserve this title are probably in the first video he made, as mentioned. This video was just a result of a slow day of no ideas.

nush

Gold Member
Anyway, pretty bad video. The only good example in it is the Asterix game. The rest of the games that deserve this title are probably in the first video he made, as mentioned. This video was just a result of a slow day of no ideas.

There's so many "Amazing/unbelievable" Gamboy Advance videos already that he's late to the party with his me too list of games. Asterix always makes those lists.

Cattlyst

One thing that will 100% make me not watch a video is the use of the word 'impossible' - they clearly weren't impossible because they exist. Such a lazy, boring, clickbait tactic. See it all the time on YouTube. Impossible Saturn ports. Impossible PlayStation ports. Impossible this. Impossible that. Etc etc. They're not impossible...they exist! Rant over.

TLZ

Banned
Well they're obviously very possible since they happened.

Edit: Hah poster above mine beat me to it :goog_biggrin:

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
images

This classic right here is why I don't sell my systems folks. I put more hours on GBA on this, then on my actual GBA lol

A.Romero A.Romero You and me both. I love the games, but just don't game portably anymore tbh. Let me play that shit on a tv in peace lol I would have played DS and 3DS just as much if they just made an option to actually play on a TV like with the GB Player. I played a few games on a monitor using a set up a friend of mine put together for speeds runs. I'm good friends with someone who held a few world records for some Zelda titles and other Nintendo games.
Man I'd absolutely love a way to play my 3ds games on TV :(

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
So, was the GBA close to the PS1 on a technical level?
They are too different to be compared in my opinion. GBA was built to push 2D first and foremost, and PS1 was made to push 3D. 2D on PS1 is an afterthought and people had to circumvent the hardware solution, and I guess that it is the other way round for the GBA with 3D.

Knightime_X

Impossible means developed with that console in mind but the actual console can't play the game due to limitations.
River City Random underground comes to mind.
An snes rom modded with a file size larger than the hardware supports.
Just a few example.
I classify those as impossible.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I had the Glacier unit when it released. I loved the form-factor, but the lack of backlight was a bummer. I'm sure everybody remembers the "Worm Light".

He named most of best looking games. I remember being really impressed with THPS 2. Some more games I would add to the list:
Iridion II, Super Monkey Ball Jr., Ecks vs Sever, Silent Scope, LoTR: Return of the King.

I also had the GBA SP and a Revo K101. I never had the Micro although I've been tempted to buy one. GBA was a great system, like having a pocket SNES. I don't think you can compare it to a PSX that had stuff like Gran Turismo 2, Tekken 3, and MGS. That's more at the same level as the N64 and DS.

IMO(roughly):
GBA = SNES
DS = N64
3DS = GC
Switch(undocked) = WiiU

I remember being relatively impressed by Serious Sam Advance back in the day. Doesn't really hold up well by today's standards, but it was Serious Sam on the go at least.

There were loads of games that pushed the system. Top gear was very playable and impressive, a few james bond games were enjoyable (at least on a technical level).

I really wanted to see a 3d perspective mode 7 mario or zelda though, like in sonic cd bonus stage. Did anything like that come about (no polygons)?

Was a tremendously fun system.

Top Bottom