• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Great JRPGs Released on the WRONG CONSOLE

cireza

Ok, so if I understand, anything that did not launch on Playstation launched on the wrong console.

Also, people should take note that Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery and Blue Dragon are playable on current gen consoles because they actually launched on the right console. And it is also the case of the FF XIII trilogy.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Fantasian - Apple Arcade

Q26Ka4Q.jpg

ujvkcP8.jpg

Last edited:

cireza

Well, many of those J-RPG's on Xbox 360 sold much better on PS3 when they were re-released there (Tales of Vesperia is the best example). Even that Blue Dragon was top selling game of X360 in Japan, its numbers were really bad..
Neo Geo games never made very high sales numbers, yet they were launched on the right console.

Topping the charts is not the only meter of success.

CLOUD_CR

Neo Member
Neo Geo games never made very high sales numbers, yet they were launched on the right console.

That's why Mistwalker is still doing games for home consoles today, right?! Yeah, no.. Sales are very important, doesn't matter what everyone says.

PD: Still sad that Cry On got canceled..

Sakaguchi is wasting away his talents making mobile games right now, so there is absolutely no way you can call anything he did on the 360 a success.

cireza

Mistwalker
Mistwalker always was a very small company of creators/advisors. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon were developed by other companies. Last Story as well.

Mistwalker, with the status it has and obviously wants to maintain, is without a doubt perfectly profitable with how it manages its projects, and this is why you saw them on mobile games, and now, on Apple.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon really launch on the wrong platform. Sadly, sold very poor everywhere and not many people play them.
Lost Odyssey was the first thing that came to mine when I read the thread title

I've never played Sudeki on the OG Xbox but I remember wanting to try it

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The biggest issue is not that exclusive JRPGs were released on the Xbox 360, but that they were never ported to the PC. I bought Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon, Lost Oddyssey and The Last Remnant back in 2006/7. I haven't switched on my 360 since 2010 and I probably never will. But I'd have liked to have PC ports of those games. That would make it easier to dump my Xbox games.

Faithless83

Banned
Ok, so if I understand, anything that did not launch on Playstation launched on the wrong console.

Also, people should take note that Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery and Blue Dragon are playable on current gen consoles because they actually launched on the right console. And it is also the case of the FF XIII trilogy.
It also meant that it's very unlikely that we'll ever see a sequel to any of those games, due to the lack of sales.

I for one would prefer to see what else Mistwalker could have pulled off on consoles, instead of apple arcade exclusives.
but-hey-fuck-me-right.jpg

Fbh

On the Plus side I do think games like Infinite Undiscovery (god that name is dumb), Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey at least partially accomplished their purpose. They got people like me who previously had zero interest in Xbox to pick up a 360 over a Ps3.

On the other hand though, yeah, maybe if they had launched on a system with an actual audience for these games they could have sold enough to get sequels.

Fantasian - Apple Arcade

Q26Ka4Q.jpg

ujvkcP8.jpg

Since this will apparently be episode based I'm still hoping that once it is all out they'll port some sort of "complete edition" to consoles and PC.
Game looks great but I don't own any apple devices.

sublimit

Banned
No, really guys, are threads like these just stealth self promo threads for video views? :|
We have had countless of similar threads from channels like Gamingbolt and others yet no one complained for "self promotion". I thought it was an interesting topic for conversation but if you don't like it don't post in it.

Derift

So wait 15 years for it to have a bigger fan base... makes sense right

cireza

So wait 15 years for it to have a bigger fan base...
All these games had a big fan base, otherwise nobody would be talking about them right now. They were on the right platforms and served their purpose. The exclusive RPGs from the Dreamcast, Gamecube and Xbox 360 were perfectly fine there, and only people who did not have these consoles are going to bitch about these games not being in the right place.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
List is a bust for not including FFXII and FFXV.

The former was too far ahead of it's time, and the latter would have done better without the open world trend bogging it down with filler quests and vacant space.

Essentially both should have been PS3 titles.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned

Indeed. People should be bloody thankful these gems released there. Otherwise they wouldn't even be playable in this day unless you dug up a 15 year old console.

Also, loved that part in Infinite Odyssey where something tragic happens and the main character gets really angry and it's conveyed through animations and sounds in combat. Underrated game. Buggy though.

Kagey K

Banned
This is a straight fact right here. Launching on any other console at that time, would have left them stuck in that generation instead of being fully playable and purchasable on today's machines.

Yeah. Like others have said, it’s basically just some guy whining about every decent RPG that didn’t release on PlayStation. Not interesting at all.

Last edited:
Retarded list and obviously made by someone who missed the point of the choice of platform these games were on.

Tales of Phantasia was released on THE most popular 16 bit console and then ported to THE most popular 32 bit console with multiple enhanced ports coming out later on GBA/PSP/Smart phones, and no not being released outside of Japan shouldn't be a mark against a game, Tales of Destiny DC and ToD2/Tales of Rebirth also weren't released outside of Japan and they were on the most popular console of all time and it was also a JRPG paradise.

Suikoden and Onimusha are both spinoffs of mainline console games so naturally they'd be on the most popular handheld, Xenoblade X will be released soon on Switch mark my words, Nintendo needs to pad out 2021/early 2022 with ports and i don't think there are many games left on WiiU that haven't been ported yet, and it was intended for WiiU from the start and if the system didn't fail commercially it wouldn't be on this list, the others like Skies of Arcadia and Lost Odyssey wouldn't be as fondley remembered as they are today if they weren’t exclusive to the Xbox360 and Dreamcast since in many ways they were made as an answer to PlayStation's hold on THE most popular JRPG IP in the industry Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

martino

Didn't read and know who is ot but I bet it's one of our usual ps fanboi with a video of another ps fanboi telling us jrpg must all be on PS, am I correct?
edit : ot checked
list of game checked (with most famous ones published by the 3 other : no shame)

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The biggest issue is not that exclusive JRPGs were released on the Xbox 360, but that they were never ported to the PC. I bought Infinite Undiscovery, Blue Dragon, Lost Oddyssey and The Last Remnant back in 2006/7. I haven't switched on my 360 since 2010 and I probably never will. But I'd have liked to have PC ports of those games. That would make it easier to dump my Xbox games.
The Last Remnant was out on PC and was infinitely better than the Xbox 360 version.

Weirdly, it got pulled from digital storefronts when The Last Remnant Remastered released... on the PS4 and Switch.

I read years ago that Lost Odyssey was the original concept for Final Fantasy XII before Spirits Within damn near bankrupted the company.

SantaC

Tales of the Abyss on PS2 only. Gamecube created a huge fanbase with Symphonia. Bamco pissed that away with a PS2 release that sold less than 50K copies.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I blame xenophobic Japanese gamers for not buying Xbox 360.

lol remember when people were saying “Japanese gamers don’t like Xbox because it’s so big and they have small houses!!!” Then Xbox 360 came out and was much more reasonably sized, and had a shitload of quality Japanese games….. and Japanese gamers still ignored it in favor of PS3 (which has nearly identical footprint to original Xbox).

SkylineRKR

Lost Odyssey was the first game that came to mind. I actually beat the game earlier this year and had an LTTP going on. Its a great game, at least on the newer Xbox systems. Absolutely murders FFXIII. But the combat though, its really really bare bones. But it didn't really find its userbase on 360. But was it released on the wrong system? MS wanted JRPG, Gooch was pissed off at Sony. It was an attempt by MS. Would it have sold better on PS3? Probably in Japan by default, but in the west idk. Back then there just wasn't high demand for these games. It wasn't a dudebro shooter.

I also have Infinite Undiscovery on my Series S, and never booted it up yet lol. Always wanted to try that game, should start with it some day.

fermcr

Microsoft should have continued with their investment in JRPG's. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon didn't have great sales, but they are good games and were attracting PlayStation gamers to purchase a Xbox.
"If at first you don't succeed, try again."

Last edited:

Skelterz

This is a straight fact right here. Launching on any other console at that time, would have left them stuck in that generation instead of being fully playable and purchasable on today's machines.
I don’t think that’s necessarily true there’s definitely an argument for the games having a much wider appeal on the PS thus selling more and being remastered later down the line, Possibly even a sequel…

Sakaguchi don’t like Sony no more can’t remember why but he’s not a fan.

FStubbs

Microsoft should have continued with their investment in JRPG's. Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon didn't have great sales, but they are good games and were attracting PlayStation gamers to purchase a Xbox.
"If at first you don't succeed, try again."
This. 360 was the only xbox I owned.

Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon really launch on the wrong platform. Sadly, sold very poor everywhere and not many people play them.
I wish those, Fable 1, and Infinite Undiscovery were on sony and nintendo consoles. Same for Magna Carta 2. The Xbox 360 version of Phantasy Star Universe ran better than the ps2 version and it was never on ps3. Phantasy Star Universe 2 was a psp only game and should have been on consoles. I also miss Jade Empire, and KOTOR 1 and 2.

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Top Bottom