• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 fucking years later, skyrim is still my go to for my open world rpg fix

Matt_Fox

OP, good for you sharing passion and enthusiasm for gaming (and for a great game).

Definitely don't deserve the pile on, I suspect coming from people who either haven't played Skyrim or are bitter about Bethesda's new Microsoft exclusivity.

You should definitely mod it, and rediscover the game afresh!

Why on earth would you not download ModOrganizer and mod the hell out of it? It's so much fun and the amount of mods is intense.

Fredrik

Nah, no history revisionism when somene talk shit about skyrim combat or story or optimization etc, they were shit since day one.
It’s one of the highest scored games ever, had a metascore of 96 on Xbox 360 day 1, even if the combat or story or optimization had issues everybody still thought it was an amazing game. Can’t be best at everything. And it’s still loved by millions, new mods comes all the time and in VR on Quest 2 it’s probably the most immersive RPG you can play.

Elder Scrolls games aren’t my favorite but when I get in a certain mood I can just play something like modded Skyrim or Morrowind for two months straight. Last one I played was Skyrim as well. Modded on the X1 version playing on Series X. Playing in 60 FPS with a bunch of mods is great and a far cry from the vanilla game I played back in the day on 360.

GymWolf

It’s one of the highest scored games ever, had a metascore of 96 on Xbox 360 day 1, even if the combat or story or optimization had issues everybody still thought it was an amazing game. Can’t be best at everything. And it’s still loved by millions, new mods comes all the time and in VR on Quest 2 it’s probably the most immersive RPG you can play.
And how all of what you say change the fact that many people didn't loved the game well before the M acquisition exactly?!

You know that people isn't forced to like a game with an high metacritic right? i mean, botw, gta4, tlou2, rdr2 etc. have high metacritics and a lot of people hate these games, did M also bought rockstar, sony and nintendo?

Combat, story and optimization are big part of games, not minor things, it's not like people are hating on the game because it has small fonts for the subtitles...

Last edited:

scydrex

I played Skyrim without mods and it sucked. Bethesda games always needs mods. I played Kingdom Come Deliverance this year, haven´t finished it. First play trough on survival or the hardest difficulty and I'm having a blast. No compass, running from enemies, when i go to a battle or fight someone i prepare and everything. I had to learn how to fight, learn the moves and combos, counter attack, defend myself. When going for a expedition or adventure i prepare for it. Looking at the map and get lost. I tell myself where the hell am I? The only thing is that I stopped playing because of the loading on PS4. Will continue to play it on PS5 the loading is so much better. Hopefully they release a next gen update 4k 60fps on PS5...

niilokin

Kingdom Come Deliverance >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Oblivion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Skyrim
Kingdome Come is a weird one for me. It should tick all the boxes but it's so goddamn droopy game. It's like playing some kind of "I slept only 2 hours last night"-simulator

Fredrik

And how all of what you say change the fact that many people didn't loved the game well before the M acquisition exactly?!

You know that people isn't forced to like a game with an high metacritic right? i mean, botw, gta4, tlou2, rdr2 etc. have high metacritics and a lot of people hate these games, did M also bought rockstar, sony and nintendo?

Combat, story and optimization are big part of games, not minor things, it's not like people are hating on the game because it has small fonts for the subtitles...

No you don’t have to like it but there is no RPG rated higher and the Bethesda acquisition is still a hot topic, I would say that it’s to be expected that people will question your motives if you’re hating on it just like they do with someone hating on TLOU or BOTW or any other top rated game.

Skyrim is still one of my all time favorite games.
It's one of those games that just sticks in my mind. Memorable.
It's also a world I can see myself living in.
Where else can you marry your housecarl. And then adopt kids giving one a sword and the other a doll.
Contrast with Bethesdas other world Fallout. The world of Fallout is a nice place to visit. But I really don't want to stay.

Mozzarella

I think Skyrim is overall a very good game and yea i can understand people who keep going back to play it, because there is nothing like it, nothing that allows the sandbox fantasy rpg open world thing. I also keep it on my PC, its one of those games that you should own a copy of.
However with that said Skyrim does have some very poor mechanics or design choices, for example:
1- Level Scaling is awful, it makes progression in the game worse and kills the rewarding feel when you finish quests, kill enemies..etc.
2- Combat mechanics are very basic and dull; The gameplay itself is pretty good but the combat mechanics are boring because you just mash the mouse right click, the enemies have no variety, the boss fights are lacking and very similar.
3- Writing is very weak; the main story is terrible and the writing, dialogue is poor, lacks many fundamental things that makes a good engaging dialogue or quest or story.
4- No memorable characters: another things i didnt like is that there was no memorable character that i liked or could relate to, nobody that made me love interacting or talking with. Serana in the DLC comes close, maybe the best character in the game and that is still an average one when compared to other RPGs.
5- Last one is lack or RPG elements and lack of impactful choices and player agency. You can join all three major guilds and you cant alter the main story in any way.

Still a game having issues doesnt mean its bad or "not" one of the great games. No, Skyrim is still one of the great games imo, i would rate it 4/5. Morrowind is the best and Skyrim is the 2nd best and Oblivion aged the worst of them. Damn so many people here hate on this game, i understand the issues but it seems this game gets more heat than other games, probably some old beef with it. I'm a new member after all. But credit is where credit due, Skyrim is a game that deserves praise, i totally understand people who like it.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Yeah, i loved Skyrim and modded the hell out of it at the time!, 10 years ago!, i haven't played the game for years after putting in nearly 2000 hours of playtime, it's been far too long between TES games with Bethesda wanting online store money ever since GTA online hit big, i don't like ESO or F76 instead of their SP games, so until they make and release a new one which could be another 5 years away, BGS are no longer on my support list,

Currently playing The Witcher 3 and in recent years i got my open world sort of RPG games from Origin's and Odyssey etc, i don't even think of Skyrim nowadays TBH.

Last edited:
it was really fun when it initially came out. now, when heavily modded, it can be a whole new experience. the mods created for it are just incredible and enjoyable. i can see how others are turned off by its limitations but i guess i don't mind them, given all of the added content mods provide.

GymWolf

No you don’t have to like it but there is no RPG rated higher and the Bethesda acquisition is still a hot topic, I would say that it’s to be expected that people will question your motives if you’re hating on it just like they do with someone hating on TLOU or BOTW or any other top rated game.
Well i'm excited for bethesda under M and i have a gaming pc so i'm not part of that crowd, maybe their control quality before releasing a game is gonna improve under M.

Also a little secret, many people gives 2 fucks about reviews, score and metacritic, especially in these modern times.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Skyrim was great but never as good as Oblivion quest wise.
Still - Dark souls is 10 years old.. wtf

yamaci17

I feel the same, and actually never modded the game haha.

Finished it 3 times in the span of 7 years and planning for a 4th playthrough. Everytime I explored a different archetype/character and it was really fun. Will be exploring mods this time though. Probably in summer since there are no games that are actually being released. :messenger_face_screaming:

Retinoid

I think Skyrim is decent but I cringe a bit when I see people calling it an RPG. And no, just because Bethesda call it an RPG doesn't make it so either. Bethesda have their own brand of "RPG" that obviously a lot of people love, but it's really a "create your own adventure" style game than true role playing, or even an action RPG. Mods definitely help with a lot of the shortcomings, such as the terrible combat and basic mechanics, but unfortunately there are core issues that can't be fixed with mods - namely the writing and lack of agency the player has in the story. It's great as a sandbox for modders to create their own stories though.

Last edited:
I think Skyrim is decent but I cringe a bit when I see people calling it an RPG. And no, just because Bethesda call it an RPG doesn't make it so either. Bethesda have their own brand of "RPG" that obviously a lot of people love, but it's really a "create your own adventure" style game than true role playing, or even an action RPG. Mods definitely help with a lot of the shortcomings, such as the terrible combat and basic mechanics, but unfortunately there are core issues that can't be fixed with mods - namely the writing and lack of agency the player has in the story.

It's an RPG.

wp2225897.jpg

what kind of sorcery is this? i simply cannot escape this game, it became a tradition for me to just visit that world every few months just to explore and do some side quests,i don't even like the gameplay, the crazy part is, i've never modded it before, and i KNOW once i do that that's another 1000 hours down the drain

does anyone else feels the same?
Sounds like you're playing Skyrim JOB

Hestar69

I'm actually playing it off game pass finally (own it on 360,ps4& pc X2) & I'm enjoying it.I was doing a quest and saw a cave,went in murdered a bunch of vampires but now I'm cursed,lol.

MetalRain

I think Skyrim is decent but I cringe a bit when I see people calling it an RPG. And no, just because Bethesda call it an RPG doesn't make it so either. Bethesda have their own brand of "RPG" that obviously a lot of people love, but it's really a "create your own adventure" style game than true role playing, or even an action RPG. Mods definitely help with a lot of the shortcomings, such as the terrible combat and basic mechanics, but unfortunately there are core issues that can't be fixed with mods - namely the writing and lack of agency the player has in the story. It's great as a sandbox for modders to create their own stories though.
I guess it's more play as the role you imagine than play as the role you have been set or chosen.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Same; I love the game.

I also replay FO3, New Vegas, and 4 as well.. but Skyrim is my GOAT.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

that's because there's no other.

oh wait, there is: The Elder Scrolls Online, which by now I guess is already the biggest TES ever and you can play with friends in reasonable parties of 4 rather than the idiotic 16+ bozos chatting and pushing buttons until a central target is done of traditional MMO. Or play solo as usual.

why TESO hasn't received any attention is beyond me. I'd die for a VR mode...

Because it plays nothing like Skyrim, or other Bethesda games.. since it's not based on the glorious Creation Engine.

I’m gonna need a tall glass of water after reading all these salty posts. God damn. What did Skyrim do to some of these posters?

IntentionalPun

I’m gonna need a tall glass of water after reading all these salty posts. God damn. What did Skyrim do to some of these posters?
FWIW the game basically didn't work on PS3.

Personally as a PC player who didn't play the first few months.. I've honestly never had major bugs in the game. Which is insane considering it's scope and complexity of what can and can't happen based on who you kill/what order you do missions and the sheer amount of time I've put into it.

FWIW the game basically didn't work on PS3.

Personally as a PC player who didn't play the first few months.. I've honestly never had major bugs in the game. Which is insane considering it's scope and complexity of what can and can't happen based on who you kill/what order you do missions and the sheer amount of time I've put into it.
That’s fair. I played it first on Xbox 360 after the complete edition with all the DLC launched. I didn’t experience many bugs. Those first months after launch are rough for Bethesda games...

IntentionalPun

That’s fair. I played it first on Xbox 360 after the complete edition with all the DLC launched. I didn’t experience many bugs. Those first months after launch are rough for Bethesda games...
It's a bit more than that but Skyrim did turn some people off in general due to the PS3 release.

Then there are people who just don't "click" with the Creation Engine games.. I love them all personally and have tried explaining it to people who don't seem to get "why" but got kinda tired of that years ago.. some people just like different games.. or look for different things in games.

If Skyrim/Fallout games had better loot systems I'd honestly probably never play anything else lol

Top Bottom