• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10-15 years ago, games were considerably shorter, why have game length ballooned like this?

TonyK

I just finished another playthrough of Mass Effect 1 and it took me nearly 30 hours.

I'd love that game to be 90 hours. Masterful world building and story telling.
Problem is they couldn't produce 90 hours of content with the quality and density of those 30, so you would have ended with those 30 hours padded until make them fill 90. For sure, game would have been worse being so long.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It would be nice if someone were to develop a curated, concise and streamlined gaming experience for less money.

This is not likely though, because how on earth can you con people into buying DLC and other shit, if you're admitting your game is like that?
A lot of developers still make exactly that. Just not the ones making $70 AAA games.

I really like longer games because I grew up playing RPGs mostly so in my mind it's the opposite really. An 8-hour single player campaign without any replayability feels like a rip off of my monetary investment.

I'm alone in my boat but I want my rpgs to be 60 hours and the rest 30 hours.

Totally agree. 20 years ago only RPGs last 40 hours, meanwhile 10 or less hours games were common. Now days, RPGs last 100 hours and any single player campaign in a action adventure game must last 20 hours at least. Problem, however, is not duration, is quality of content. They produce content for 10 hours and then they make it artificially last 30 hours more.
Agreed.

I'd far prefer to see the evolution of something like Titanfall > Titanfall 2 > Apex Legends & Fallen Order. The games are kept short and tight, they're extremely focused on what they do and the gameplay delivered in 10-15 hours with replayability extending that by magnitudes more. In terms of dev finances vs resources balance vs what the game delivers Respawn have really shown a brilliant path for success in terms of quality games, outright sales, 1P games, multiplayer games and content sustain. I'll happily explore a universe with a multiplayer title like Titanfall first then progress to later releases supporting both 1P and multiplayer with Titanfall 2 to then push whatever games post that e.g. Apex or Fallen Order. It works in terms of revenue in the door, development focus/pipelines, universe building and gamers enjoying new titles. When I look at the performance of say Respawn vs 343 with Infinite and time to deliver + post 1 year support vs say Fallen Order and Apex Legends over the same 6-year overall period I see the brilliance of a well-managed studio and game franchise vision. At the end of the day, I'd rather play quality than quantity. Given GaaS and MTX/DLC these days there's plenty to expand on and sell more of when games are great.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

JRPGs got worse though.

Just look at FF7R, some 30 hours of bloat and padding for a segment that lasted around 5 hours in the original.

The original FF7 took around some 30+ hours to beat without taking your time and doing side stuff, but every single hour was worth it.
I get the point you're trying to make, but its a flawed point imo and unfair to class all of FF7R as "padding".

If Square re-created FF7 with the visual fidelity expected and that we got with a 1:1 town the size of this with about 10 static npc's and buildings (as one example), they'd have been assasinated for it, by fans reviewers and the industry. The vast majority of fans alwayed wanted a remake with the graphics and presentation akin to what was delivered, which can be backed up by the general praise and buzz for part 2 or Rebirth.

hqdefault.jpg

Yes there was padding in the Remake, but not 30-35 hours of it. I'd say about 5 hours could have been cut or consolidated to make the game a much more tigher and direct experience.

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Because Bethesda SP games from Oblivion to Skyrim over 10 years ago became very popular and rightly so, and The Witcher 3's success caused Ubisoft to change the Assassin's Creed formula aswell as the stealth series wasn't selling like they use to. and they sold more AC games again, if they are done well they are the best games imo, you can play them for years, which is why there is no TES 6 yet.

MikeM

Engagement drives potential for DLC purposes.

I personally hate overly long games. 20 hours is a sweet spot.

I don't agree. We had even back then 6hr COD games and others and we had RPGs that would suck up 30-40 hours easy. I don't think anything changed except the fact that every game is trying to be open world nowadays so just artificial extension to do redundant stuff. But that is up to you and your OCD if you want to clear map, lets be honest, the introduction of trophies all the way on xbox360 made all of us OCD lol.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Why would i Pay for 70 $ For a 5-7 hours games ?
maybe, just maybe, games shouldn't be 70$. 🤯
this whole length situation is all because games cost more than they should be and therefore developers balloon the dev time and add a bunch of unnecessary crap into the game to make you feel justified for spending 70 fucking dollars on one video game. a couple days ago i bought 4 for that price. 4!!!

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Some of us have kids, bills, loans, mortgages
also other hobbies- not everyone dedicates all of their money to JUST video games.
A music album costs $10 dollars.
A blu ray disc with a movie or season of a TV show costs $20-40.
A video game costs $70.

"nah bro, they're not more expensive than other hobbies they're the cheapest!!!!"

bring back arcades, i'd rather pay 25 cents for one go at a game than 70 dollars for a game i'll beat once and have a 1/100 chance of replaying

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

I remember back on the old board that a game being under 20 hours was always held against games and anything 15 hours or so was a travesty. Now everything is called bloated and too long. I myself like a game with a reasonable length straight main path through but lots of side things that I can do if I choose.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I wish there was a game mode that would cut out all the padding.
Start in short game mode and your weapons and character just auto-upgrade as you progress rather than having to grind, and at any point you can auto-teleport to the next main story section.

I would go back to shorter with a tacked on but creative multiplayer.

I actually believe RE2 was designed to solve this problem ages ago. A complete experience, followed by an extra experience you could get back to if it stuck with you. I think most games would be better if they were half as long with a compelling reason to revist them after you spent time away.

Last edited:
I wish there was a game mode that would cut out all the padding.
Start in short game mode and your weapons and character just auto-upgrade as you progress rather than having to grind, and at any point you can auto-teleport to the next main story section.
]its called doing the mainline quest

tmlDan

Games that are 10-12H and $60 got so much hate they had to make games huge for people to think it brings them value.

I'm not complaining cause I love these longer games with fleshed out stories, but we have considerably less shorter games that are not indie - which sucks.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
If Square re-created FF7 with the visual fidelity expected and that we got with a 1:1 town the size of this with about 10 static npc's and buildings (as one example), they'd have been assasinated for it, by fans reviewers and the industry. The vast majority of fans alwayed wanted a remake with the graphics and presentation akin to what was delivered, which can be backed up by the general praise and buzz for part 2 or Rebirth.
First of all, only normies seeking validation asked for a remake.
Second, this excuse of a 1:1 scale for the towns is bullshit propagated by Square-Enix marketing, so they can justify padding the crap out of the first part of the game.

There was no point in making areas bigger than they should. Look at the games below.
They all feature a portion of the town/city the player is at. There is no point in allowing the player to explore the entirety of it because a) it makes no sense and b) it would take forever.
All those areas are as big as they need to be, and they can add as much detail as they want.

Saman-02.jpg

b899dbaa595d68b304d57c6f921f6912.jpg

FINAL-FANTASY-X_X-2-HD-Remaster_20150704031353.jpg

Here's the thing: Square-Enix is only concerned in following trends.
Trends allows them to be lazy, at the same time that it allows them to spew bullshit excuses to investors to pretend they're "catching up with the times" in "modernizing" their games.

All this "subvert expectations" crap of the term "remake" is an excuse for them to be lazy with this project.
Oh, but we're not really making a remake, it's a "remake"! So if you have an issue with this, go play the original, haha!

Which we all know was used to buy them time, because the planning for this project was a mess. Also, to sell each part at full price

It's not a coincidence that FF7R follows a similar formula to other Playstation "blockbuster" games (behind-the-back camera, cutscenes, cinematic experience, a lot of walking, more emphasis on graphics than anything else, etc). It was a Playstation temporary exclusive, and it had to appeal to their trends and audience.

Again, everybody that knew how to make a great Final Fantasy has left the company.
Those that remained are either hacks or don't have enough power to make things happen.

Even Yuji Horii is being cornered by Square-Enix to make Dragon Quest 12 "for adults".
You know, because it's another trend. Same thing with FF16.

Krathoon

Really, the industry is killing itself making these huge games.
Making games that take too long to finish doesn't make you want to buy new ones until they come down in price.
They are expecting too much of people's time.
They are piggies.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Back in the NES days, the thing was making a game absurdly hard. Mega Man 1 was really obnoxious. Some games wanted you to play through it again. The more popular games were balanced.

First of all, only normies seeking validation asked for a remake.

No. The fanbois have been asking for one forever. Literally 15+ years. FF7R probably only happened because Sony wanted to try to revive Playstation in Japan and sell a bunch of PS4s there... and threw a bucket of $$$ in Square's face.

Second, this excuse of a 1:1 scale for the towns is bullshit propagated by Square-Enix marketing, so they can justify padding the crap out of the first part of the game.

And then Square decided to milk FF7 with multiple full priced titles. From a narrative standpoint, ending at Midgar made sense because it avoids the question of what to do about the overworld. I do think ~30 hours was a design goal so yeah padding was inevitable.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I ain’t paying 90 bucks Canadian (over 100 with taxes) for a short ass game. Even with sales it’s a hard sell for me, unless it’s very replayable.
If the game is great then theres nothing wrong with 100 bucks for 7 hours of entertainment. In fact, thats quite a damn good bargain.

If some performer came to your house and entertained you FOR 7 HOURS, you wouldnt give them 100 bucks?

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

If the game is great then theres nothing wrong with 100 bucks for 7 hours of entertainment. In fact, thats quite a damn good bargain.

If some performer came to your house and entertained you FOR 7 HOURS, you wouldnt give them 100 bucks?

It’d be the worst deal in gaming, And unless that performer was performing something on me, I’d tell them to get the fuck outta my house.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
]its called doing the mainline quest
But nowadays in these rpg light games if you just do the mainline quest you won't have enough ammo or upgraded weapons or character traits to progress eventually, plus you will have still spent several hours running from point A to point B.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I get tired of all the walking and talking with the NPC. Some nights my game time is listening to someone talk about some boring lore. Even if I enjoy the game, that stuff bores me. I liked BioShock and Dead Space where you can listen to the audio log while going at your own pace. I want to be able to skip stuff. I’ve finished a lot of games by skipping stuff that I don’t need to see for the Xth amount of time. I really enjoy the main story, so I don’t need to gather everything.

I can’t even think back to a JRPG where stopping along the way was just padding. It typically flowed together quite well. A stopping or talking point meant something was actually going to happen.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
It’d be the wort deal in gaming, And unless that performer was performing something on me, I’d tell them to get the fuck outta my house.
not everything has to be a "deal", shit aint black friday everyday. gamers just want free/cheap shit. gamepass mentality will kill AAA quality games.

Last edited:
You can still get these experiences just not from the industry publishers. Look toward fan created content of well established games, doom, tomb raider, super Mario All have excellent content that are short and sweet.

Because people are obsessed with ‘content’ (most annoying word ever) and have created a weird relationship between money and games.

Brb gonna spend £120 on a meal out with a friend/the wife that’ll last two hours.

Brb gonna spend £100 taking the family out to watch some shite at the cinema they lasts 90 minutes.

Brb gonna spend £80 a month on coffee that you immediately lose down the toilet.

Brb gonna bitch and moan and whine endlessly about spending £50 on a game that kept you entertained for 15 hours.

Last edited:
This, which is also why people like me with families are just not playing. I had PS5 Ragnarok Edition today in the cart but for what - to spend 1 hour every day for the next month playing one game? Where I can also dedicate that time to reading and piano? Nah, fuck this shit, I'm out.
You’d think with the average age of gamers being ancient would dictate more thinking about this from developers.

Someone doesn't remember the 16-bit days...
I remember playing TMNT: Turtles in Time on the SNES, with inflation it must cost around 300 dollars if you’d buy the game now and it took around 20 minutes to finish it. But omg was it worth the money 😁. Also, they had the skill to make you want to replay those games often with high scores etc.

Also, awesome coop multiplayer offline on the sofa. Nothing can beat that still. I feel sorry for the kids growing up now only being able to play coop online. It took all the fun out for me, it’s just not the same at all.

Also, telling the parents for weeks that I didn’t finish TMNT because they paid so much money for it and I was ashamed I finished it so quickly 🤣

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
You’d think with the average age of gamers being ancient would dictate more thinking about this from developers.
That’s another valid point. Kids from 1990s grew up, they have jobs, families and disposable income. Yet the industry still ponders to the unemployed teenagers and students who can play all day long. Yes, these are the groups that need that “value for money” to spend $70 on a 70-hours game. The rest of the world got shit to do.

Top Bottom