• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

”I’m Sorry Mummy”

Fredrik

4UjaxRi.jpg

This is probably not worth a thread but I just saw this headline and as an uneducated dumb viking I just need to know if native english talking people actually go around calling your dear mothers ”mummy”?
Is it correctly spelled?
This would change everything! 🤯😅
72Zayi5.jpg

Fredrik

The spelling's correct, it's just English. Like, England English. In Britain they call their moms "mums" because there's something seriously wrong with them and they need immediate help.
Haha I had no idea 😂

In Sweden we have a couple of weird doubles too. Like the swedish word ”gift” means ”married” and ”poison” 😋

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Where I am from in England we use(d) 'Mammy' and 'Mam' instead of 'Mummy'/'Mum' or 'Mommy'/'Mom'.

Fredrik

this is blowing my mind lol, I need to rewatch all ”The Mummy” movies with the idea that they could actually be about someones mom 😆

Wildebeest

People say Mum, Mom or Mam in different parts of England but using "Mummy" or even "Mumsie" as an adult is an upper class thing and most would be too self conscious.

Fredrik

I’m sorry mater
I need to go to sleep I’m having way too much fun over this lol

People say Mum, Mom or Mam in different parts of England but using "Mummy" or even "Mumsie" as an adult is an upper class thing and most would be too self conscious.

My english is obviously in need of some refinements that’s for sure. Doesn’t things get weird when you see a movie title like ”The Mummy” or in a game if a npc talk about seeing a mummy ?

Wildebeest

My english is obviously in need of some refinements that’s for sure. Doesn’t things get weird when you see a movie title like ”The Mummy” or in a game if a npc talk about seeing a mummy ?
Who cares English people like puns so the more, the merrier.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I need to go to sleep I’m having way too much fun over this lol

Its an almost daily occurrence, and it is almost impossible to tell from the context.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Not going to lie I had completely and utterly forgotten that Tom Cruise was in that movie or even that the movie existed in the first place.

It is crazy how easily your mind just kind of blocks out things that just don't fucking matter to anyone.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
The spelling's correct, it's just English. Like, England English. In Britain they call their moms "mums" because there's something seriously wrong with them and they need immediate help.
It’s the Daily Mirror, bottom feed thrash journalism for uneducated primitives.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
In England, a young child will refer to their mum as "Mummy" regardless if they're working class or born with a silver spoon in their mouths. If an older teenager or adult then they're probably from a very rich background. Everyday English people will use "mum" "mam" or "ma" with "mum" being the most widely used.

a guardian reading Tory voting twat

A Guardian reader who votes Tory? Now that is what I call a paradox.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Only posh cunts call their mum their mummy here after the age of, say, 5.

Only posh cunts call their mum their mummy here after the age of, say, 5.
Usually yeah but my adult daughter still sometimes does the mummy/daddy thing (when she wants something from us that is) and we are about as far from posh cunts as it's possible to get.

mummy is what kids or weird people say. if you're making fun of someone you could use it like "you're such a mummy's boy!" or you can pretend that they would say mummy if you're pretending to talk as them "hey mummy!"

people here say mum, ma, maw in every day conversation. i say mum/ma. the thing is when i say "my" it sounds like "ma" so if i were to say "my mum" it would sound like "ma ma". i hate the thought of people thinking i call my mum "mama" so i'll change the way i'm talking to be a bit more proper and say "ma mum". i've never liked it when anyone says "maw" i think it sounds rude.

whatever it's worth i'm british/scottish.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
english community GIF

United Kingdom Eating GIF by Declan McKenna

Last edited:
Top Bottom