• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Xbox Series S Won’t Significantly Limit Game Development” – Warhammer 40K: Darktide Dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kataploom

Gold Member
So, following the thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/xbox...and-more-immersive-experiences-–-dev.1589429/

I'll take another quote from same devs in a different article just so it gets a little more attention:

“While the Series S will be yet another platform to contend with that will take some time in testing and quality assurance, many developers nowadays are used to a much more dynamic ecosystem of hardware,” the developer said “Even in the console space we have had different tiers of the same consoles for many years. The way Series S differs from Series X (memory amount and GPU horsepower, mostly) is for us much easier to adapt to than to for example the wide variety of PCs out in the wild or the way that the previous generation of consoles differed. Less memory and slower GPU are things that most game developers can dynamically scale for by scaling resolutions and graphics effects, while different storage solutions or widely varying CPU performance are much harder to adapt to. All in all we don’t think that the Series S will significantly limit the game development progress as a whole in any way.”

Source: https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-series-...t-game-development-warhammer-40k-darktide-dev

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Op what have you done

jurassic park water GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
Series S triggers GAF. One or two no mark developers make negative comments about it, and it’s taken as gospel. The threads have hundreds of comments of people essentially performing self-fellatio, despite the fact that they don’t own a Series S, or an interest in Xbox.

I own one, it’s a great machine. If you’re in doubt about picking one up, don’t listen to the people on here, go and read some actual user reviews or watch the multitude of overwhelmingly positive YouTube impressions from creators like Digital Foundry.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Been saying this over an over again to deaf ears for months - in summary, due to other platforms including PC, having to deal with Xss is a massive non issue. People like Ethomaz are clueless, they can't even seem to read what the developer actually said.

Moogle11

Banned
Any PC developer should be ok with that.

Most console devs too I'd think after having to deal with PS4/PS4 Pro and Xbox One/Xbox One X last gen. Not to mention outside of first party games most things get PC ports these days anyway. In any case, games being held back due to cross gen or the XSS is not something I've been worried about having already seen cross gen stuff look and run quite a bit better on PS5/XSX vs. PS4 Pro/X1X out of the gate.

DJ12

Been saying this over an over again to deaf ears for months - in summary, due to other platforms including PC, having to deal with Xss is a massive non issue. People like Ethomaz are clueless, they can't even seem to read what the developer actually said.
Pretty sure it's you that cannot read.

This dev is telling you it will limit games, just not significantly. What that means depends on the amount of damage control you want to do I guess.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
GPU power sure, but a Ram defecit (as opposed to pure VRam) is not nearly so easy to work around. Doubly so in the case of SX/SS as they do not have a homogenous pool to work with.

How often issues crop up is largely down to whether these differences are factored in at the start of dev, or only come to light when ported later (Bayonetta on 360 vs PS3 being a classic example of this scenario). However if allowances need to be made to accommodate the least capable target platform, effects will be felt across the board in more subtle ways.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots

This dev is telling you it will limit games, just not significantly. What that means depends on the amount of damage control you want to do I guess
Read it again, I think I'm wasting my time here completely.........

"All in all we don’t think that the Series S will significantly limit the game development progress as a whole in any way.”

Kataploom

Gold Member
Ehhh...do they, though? It's been done....it's been done quite a bit.
Just not here... I don't see threads here showing the other opinion, I see people defending XSS power in their posts but not actual threads showing actual devs thoughts apart from those ones shitting on the machine.

It's ok to know different thoughts on developers side because it's also true that different devs has different priorities.

This dev is telling you it will limit games, just not significantly. What that means depends on the amount of damage control you want to do I guess.
They're not saying it will limit games, but it will development itself it's not like games features are gonna be removed to fit in the SS, but that they have to do some extra steps to optimize them, which also say that are easier than in PC since mostly they have to tweak graphic features (so, just like PS4Pro or XboneX).

They also speak about how CPU and I/O is the one leveraging SS to SX and PS5.

Derktron

Banned
I mean why would it bring the Xbox series X down? It’s like developing for PC where there are countless performances to test on and make sure it runs.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Actually PC is held back by minimum specs.
This is mostly true on CPU and IO managed stuff, but SS and SX CPU and IO are exactly the same.

On GPU side their features are very scalable or present an alternative for other lower end GPUs on PC so they'd fit a wide range of tiers anyway as we've seen in the last couple generations.

dcmk7

Banned
If they actually bought the console they have the right to voice their opinion over someone who has not. Especially when the critics aren't speaking factually.
What a strange attitude. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

As fans of the industry, which I assume we all are, any news about X and Y hindering development in any shape or form is obviously going to attract comments from everywhere, since we all want the best games possible at the end of the day.

Saying their opinion doesn't matter because they don't own a platform just seems very defensive.

I think what is clear about this particular quote, is he should have phrased it better and explained the considerations that have to be factored in for XSS.

I'd like to hear more from developers that prioritize the PC version of their game regarding the Xbox Series S. They have to optimize their games for a massive range of hardware and it's probable that their insight is invaluable.

What a strange attitude. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

As fans of the industry, which I assume we all are, any news about X and Y hindering development in any shape or form is obviously going to attract comments from everywhere, since we all want the best games possible at the end of the day.

Saying their opinion doesn't matter because they don't own a platform just seems very defensive.

I think what is clear about this particular quote, is he should have phrased it better and explained the considerations that have to be factored in for XSS.
You are right! I should have phrased it better. The ignorant have just as much right to spout off as the knowledgeable. The source of the commentary needs to be taken into account when judging its validity. XSS haters spout away!

I'd like to hear more from developers that prioritize the PC version of their game regarding the Xbox Series S. They have to optimize their games for a massive range of hardware and it's probable that their insight is invaluable.
I'd like to see the actual results. MS makes PC games. I wonder how MS Flight Simulator will turn out. If it runs poorly on the XSS it will go a long way to lending credence to the XSS's limitations.

Last edited:

Karak

Every single dev we talk to says the same thing. The difference are easier to account for here than for the huge differences in PC configs. Its been like 40. I have never run into a dev who has said otherwise regardless of the lead being a console or a pc or a pc game that was coming to console or a console game coming later to PC.
I guess there are some whos skill set isn't exactly trimmed to this specific issue. Which is ok. But that's about it.

Last edited:
Every single dev we talk to says the same thing. The difference are easier to account for here than for the huge differences in PC configs. Its been like 40. I have never run into a dev who has said otherwise regardless of the lead being a console or a pc or a pc game that was coming to console or a console game coming later to PC.
I guess there are some whos skill set isn't exactly trimmed to this specific issue. Which is ok. But that's about it.
Karak Karak do you think that the XSS is holding back this generation of games? Do you think MS made a mistake releasing the XSS? I trust your opinion because I know you are pretty objective when it comes to gaming in general.

yurqqa

Many things limit games.
People not having enough money for 1500$ console limit games.

Neo_game

Actually PC is held back by minimum specs.

Although I agree with you but it seems like devs are not caring much about the SS. I think this console will be irrelevant in couple of years. I think PS5, SX will target 1440P and SS will be sub HD

Rikkori

If people can down-port to switch, Series S will be fine, it's just gonna suck for certain games where they'll have to lower quality a LOT to fit into the lower memory footprint. Don't be surprised if it ends up as a 720p 30 console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom