• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Squid Game” Season 2 In ‘Planning Process’

bitbydeath

To the surprise of noone.
“So, there has been so much pressure, so much love, and so much demand for a second season. So, I almost feel like you leave us with no choice! But I will say there will indeed be a second season. It’s in my head now. I’m in the planning process currently. But I do think it’s too early to say when or how that is going to happen. So I will promise you this…Gi-hun will come back and he will do something for the world.”

20cent

Banned
Nice for letting them continue this kind of original and unexplored themes and stories while the show is so underrated and criminally stayed under the radar of most people.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

And it will be made by a netflix writer's room and fail to capture anything good about the first one while still making boats of money.
Netflix don’t have a writers room, but they’ll have funds for studio heads in South Korea to create one.

NoviDon

My Guess:
We are going to see the authorites that run the games that the Overseer of the games was talking to on his private phone. The "Elites" were just the tip of the iceberg, turns out the games are funded by a Global shadow government funded by the worlds richest and most powerful. there is a VIP game with the winners of Squid Games from all over the world. Gi Hun tries to expose the games to the public, but no one takes him seriously and he is eventually ambushed and forced to participate in the global game. The Police officer who was shot by his brother survived, he is going to use the fact that he is thought to be dead to once again infiltrate the games.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
As its almost always the case it will be hard to surpass the first season. That being said for most people that won't be an issue since less than great is still good. I personally think Squid Game was just good, nothing mind blowing but then again I watch a ton of Korean shows and there are a good amount of much better ones than Squid Game. If they can fix the plot holes with the first and have a proper ending i'll be satisfied but knowing Netflix they'll milk it until they cancel it.

OrochiJR

I am not sure if Squid Game is a show that needs a continuation. The first season was of course great, and technically you can find lots of plot points/ loose ends to explore in a new season, but I believe it will just take away from what made it intriguing by overexplaining stuff and milking it dry. Let the show go out while on top.

Last edited:

Fbh

On the one hand he originally said he had no plans for a second season, and forced continuations usually suck.
At the same time, despite him saying there was no plan for a season 2 the ending felt intentionally open ended, so maybe he did actually have some ideas.

I know some people will say it's not needed but you have to think of the writer.

He sold the season 1 in a set contract and didn't get paid more for its success.

He absolutely should do more seasons so he can renegotiate and get laid what he deserves

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Completely unnecessary but I'm not surprised
I mean, not really. If you follow the meta around the cop and the actual origins of the organization itself then they've barely explored the story at all. You see the main character transform completely by the end of S1 and he'll have grown a lot going into S2 and facing the new round of games. Then finally you get the spectacle of new games.

Could easily be a nice continuation of the first.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I mean, not really. If you follow the meta around the cop and the actual origins of the organization itself then they've barely explored the story at all. You see the main character transform completely by the end of S1 and he'll have grown a lot going into S2 and facing the new round of games. Then finally you get the spectacle of new games.

Could easily be a nice continuation of the first.

Having the main char survive another full game is just shitty plot armor. It was already obvious as fuck that he would win which kinda made the whole point of the games ultimately eh. No, the cop is or at least should be dead and they should move the games to another place and have him investigate, take it over from the cop while having secondary characters face in the actual games where you won;t predict who'd win this time.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Having the main char survive another full game is just shitty plot armor. It was already obvious as fuck that he would win which kinda made the whole point of the games ultimately eh. No, the cop is or at least should be dead and they should move the games to another place and have him investigate, take it over from the cop while having secondary characters face in the actual games where you won;t predict who'd win this time.
The next one should be in North Korea. That'd get dark real quick.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Squid game matters the fact that deadly games were held in private, thought it was a good show if in fact squid games 2 gets made it will be a very very much watch just a fun show this is someone who is back and forth with Netflix shows.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Show should have been a tighter movie ala Battle Royal, the last episodes dragged a lot, Ending was
meh, organ selling subplot was meh, the brother plot was meh...

Last edited:
Top Bottom