• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Massive” layoffs at DC Comics

iconmaster

Banned
This would seem to be more of the AT&T WarnerMedia post-merger consolidation-slash-cost-cutting already going on, but it doesn’t look like a good time to be at DC.

Among those said to be losing their positions are editor-in-chief Bob Harris, senior VP of publishing strategy and support services Hank Kanalz, VP of marketing and creative services Jonah Weiland, VP global publishing initiatives and digital strategy Bobbie Chase, senior story editor Brian Cunningham, and executive editor Mark Doyle, who oversaw the rollout of the Black Label graphic novels. Jim Lee remains the CCO.

Roughly one third of DC's editorial ranks are being laid off, according to sources.

DC Universe is also affected and probably not long for this world:

Insiders also say the majority of the staff of the streaming service DC Universe has been laid off, a move that had been widely expected as WarnerMedia shifts its focus to new streaming service HBO Max.

"DC Universe was DOA as soon as the AT&T merger happened,” said one source.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The only way out is through, when it comes to wokeness. It seems like an entity needs to be reduced to ashes, or close, before it can reboot and purge this ideological virus from its system.

So, in a sense, good news. If anyone has a problem with that, maybe they shouldn't have tried to subvert entertainment for propagandized messages.

ManaByte

The only way out is through, when it comes to wokeness. It seems like an entity needs to be reduced to ashes, or close, before it can reboot and purge this ideological virus from its system.

So, in a sense, good news. If anyone has a problem with that, maybe they shouldn't have tried to subvert entertainment for propagandized messages.

Seems like the biggest creative person who was laid off was the person responsible for Black Label, which were as far from "woke" as you could possibly get.

oagboghi2

Seems like the biggest creative person who was laid off was the person responsible for Black Label, which were as far from "woke" as you could possibly get.
The black label books are woke.

Also these are the same people who gave Zoe Quinn a comic series under the vertigo banner, which they revived and drove into the ground. Good riddance

Last edited:
Will DC learn from this? Will they begin to make comics that appeal to everyone, or at least have a comic line that's not super woke? I really don't think this is the bottom. I think there's going to have to be more cuts and pressure before things change.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Not to be insensitive about this but comic book guys losing their jobs is invaluable in comparison it's not shocking who has comic books? The only one I know is internet people.

Ee17uBUUMAAvt1R-1.jpg

iconmaster

Banned
Were those the people responsible for woke comics, or were they against them?

“Get woke go broke” was my gut reaction as well; but this seems to have more to do with post-merger restructuring, changes to management and market focus, and a bit of COVID tossed into the mix.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Last edited:

DESTROYA

Hope it’s just trimming the fat , don’t really care for DC Universe streaming stuff but DC Comics were part of a lot of peoples lives growing up, it would be a shame to see them just fade away.

frostyxc

Can WB cancel all of the CW Arrowverse shows while they're at it? I think it's about time that that trash fire is extinguished permanently. While Stargirl has a few issues, it ate the Arrowverse's lunch and makes it look so cheap and badly executed.

Can WB cancel all of the CW Arrowverse shows while they're at it? I think it's about time that that trash fire is extinguished permanently. While Stargirl has a few issues, it ate the Arrowverse's lunch and makes it look so cheap and badly executed.
I thought the "problem" with Arrowverse was that it has a sustainable audience. The audience numbers might be relatively small, but between them and the merchandise, it's enough to keep the shows going.

frostyxc

I thought the "problem" with Arrowverse was that it has a sustainable audience. The audience numbers might be relatively small, but between them and the merchandise, it's enough to keep the shows going.
If there's as many people out there hate-watching it like I am at this point , then I don't disagree with what you said. I'm definitely partly to blame for these shows limping on. I think this last season for the Arrowverse will be my last, though. Despite all of cute gals on these shows, the story lines have become so repetitive and pathetic that I can't continue watching.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Covid might end up doing us all a solid here, and I’m talking about business in general rather than just DC specifically. Lots of businesses are going to have existential crises and they’re going to have to start figuring out how to survive. That means focusing on the things that make money, no room for vanity projects. It also means trimming staff. Staff who aren’t performing will go. If they don’t (can’t?) fire them they’ll go under and new businesses spring up in their place. Hooray for capitalism.

levyjl1988

Banned
If you put ugly people and ugly art on the cover it will not sell.
There's a reason why attractive people are on covers of cosmetic magazines and such.
You think Victoria's secret will put a normal ugly person ad in front of their store?

These mass-produced woke comics will only appeal that small % its attracting to, and even then will it sell?

Top Bottom