• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘The Last Of Us’ Series May Cost HBO More Than ‘Game Of Thrones’

kiphalfton

Not everything needs to be adapted to live action. If anything, it should be kept in its original form.

It's kind of like linear games that were made into open-world games. Not many games made the transition satisfactorily.

When isn’t it?
Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead are two of the biggest adaptations and well known for how awful the filler is compared to the source material.
That's your evidence? Two titles? One is a daytime television adaptation, and the other only got bad when they ran out of source material.
Lord of the Rings
Pride and Prejudice
The Expanse
The Girl with all the Gifts
Fight Club
Hunger Games
The Notebook
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Boys
Netflix's Fear Street
The Green Mile
The Shawshank Redemption
Dracula
Frankenstein
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Ghost in a Shell (anime)
127 Hours
None of these are without their faults, and whether they are terrible or not is entirely subjective. They all went through artistic liberties to be properly engaging to the new mediums. The Lord of the Rings, specifically, saw a lot of changes that were faithful to the universe. The Lord of the Rings is still considered one of the greatest cinematic achievements despite its changes. The point is, they were all changed to be better represented in the form of media that they changed to. Throwing a blanket over all adaptations and claiming that they all suck unless they're entirely faithful because of filler is a blatant lie.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

That's your evidence? Two titles? One is a daytime television adaptation, and the other only got bad when they ran out of source material.
Lord of the Rings
Pride and Prejudice
The Expanse
Fight Club
Hunger Games
The Notebook
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Boys
Netflix's Fear Street
The Green Mile
The Shawshank Redemption
Dracula
Frankenstein
Ghost in a Shell (anime)
127 Hours
None of these are without their faults, and whether they are terrible or not is entirely subjective. They all went through artistic liberties to be properly engaging to the new mediums. The Lord of the Rings, specifically, saw a lot of changes that were faithful to the universe. The Lord of the Rings is still considered one of the greatest cinematic achievements despite its changes. The point is, they were all changed to be better represented in the form of media that they changed to. Throwing a blanket over all adaptations and claiming that they all suck unless they're entirely faithful because of filler is a blatant lie.
Game of Thrones injected a lot of crap before they ran out of source material.

The Lord of the Rings isn’t a great example as it still follows the books. Sure, it’s a lot more action oriented but the story itself remains well intact.

Shmunter

How odd. One would think it’s a lot more focused and claustrophobic compared to the grand display of GOT. How can that cost more.

BeardGawd

Banned
The only thing this highlights is HBO's complete ineptitude dealing with GOT. It always deserved a larger budget and to only give us 6 episodes for the last season was a horrible decision.

mortal

Gold Member
Really?

I suppose that implies there will be heavy use of CGI over practical effects, which is a shame imo.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i dont know about this, video game and tv series audience are different.

Seems like a huge risk.

I don't think I would like this series, based off the casting decisions alone.

But, since I LOVED the first game, I will give the first 2 episodes a shot. Meaning, I won't watch this until Ep. 2 is out. I think that's enough to decide if I think this show is just a bullshit mockup of the first, or is it something that is reimagined and can carry it's own weight? Also, just to put more pressure, I'm gonna replay the first game on grounded. (Grounded is all I play, otherwise the game is way too f-ing easy)

Astral Dog

The only thing this highlights is HBO's complete ineptitude dealing with GOT. It always deserved a larger budget and to only give us 6 episodes for the last season was a horrible decision.
I thought that was the showrunners decision, they wanted out to go work on something else (Star Wars?) and HBO had to cut the last 'season' in two parts, lots of rushed writting, but HBO would have gladly made more GOT,in fact i remember they inmediatly tried to get George on board for a prequel series 🤔 wonder what happened to that

Last edited:

Editaur

I'll check it out but don't have any high hopes for it as HBO isn't the same as it once was.

I hope they choose a different chapter of their journey we haven't seen yet than a half-assed retelling of what we already experienced in the games.

Solarstrike

Make It So Star Trek GIF
Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

elliot5

I literally cannot fathom it unless Sony is helping foot the bill to give it that extra oomph. Game of Thrones was extremely well established in both print and television and wildly successful all throughout warranting the budget.

The Last of Us isn't some unknown IP, yes, but it's not like this is a season 2 of a successful production. I just don't understand how it could become more expensive than GOT (not that above 8 figured automatically means it's more than GOT). Wild.

I hope it's good but I have zero enthusiasm for video game adaptations. Especially Sony lead efforts.. still kinda bummed about the Sly Cooper movie cancellation.

bender

What time is it?
I can't wait for season 2 with Abby, maybe she can cameo on S1 as well

Abby's backstory should be the filler for S1. I think part of the failings for TLOU2 for me, was having no investment in Abby and her crew which was made doubly hard with how TLOU2 opens.

Last edited:
Monsters are going to be great. Sets are going to beautiful. Sony makes my favorite shows. Breaking Bad is on Netflix, The Boys on Amazon Prime, and this is gonna slap on HBO.

If HBO is paying somebody that much money to produce a rather decent (for a videogame) post apocalyptic zombie series, then they're getting swindled.

We haven't hit absurd inflation levels to justify a pricetag like this just yet.

Atrus

Gold Member
The article is likely quoting the Canadian dollar equivalent so a $100 million baseline is $79 million USD.

longdi

Banned
this is crazy....i mean last of us dont even need that many locales shoot... 🤷‍♀️

how much of it comes from sony where it could be better off spent in game development?

ZehDon

Spending more than peak GOT on Season 1 on an un-proven adaptation that, by and large, could be done by an indie film maker with a small-ish budget? Hmmm not adding up.

Zeroing

Banned
I get that, honestly. But what explains that crazy budget, though?
I’m trying to understand how they’d use such a budget in a TLOU setting, even if they move away from all we’ve seen so far from that world (both games + left behind).
Is it going to be filled with cgi?
Armies and wars? Dragons?
Why does it have a bigger budget than GoT, who had reasons to have such a budget
Maybe:
Main actor is a movie actor, they get payed more than tv actors.

Locations for post apocalyptic spaces with green spaces. Lots of travels for shoot

tons of extras + cgi + multiple infected stages Makeup etc.

nudity, it’s HBO there will be nudity - that costs money

I dunno. Maybe they are setting a higher standard than the game of thrones because they need the next game of thrones and they believe in the project.

The TV Show should be the same as the game because that is the source material, if they wanted to make something different then they should call it something else.
gary coleman wtf GIF

Wtf are you talking about?

How many movies/tv shows have been made based off a book that followed it to the T?

Closest book adaptation movie ever made was The Godfather 1 and 2, even then there were a few changes, and many parts omitted - but the essence of every scene in that film fell off the book pages.

Almost every other adaptation from book to film have remade their version of the book to fit the medium of television and/or film.

The fuck, you watched Game of Thrones and you thought to yourself "this is a very faithful adaptation of the book?" - because, now here's a surprise, it wasn't. Many things were changed.

You're opinion is faulty on many levels, and you should just come out and say you disagree with the casting instead of making a baseless assumption of what and how a creative vision is applied in the adaptation from any medium into film.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

gary coleman wtf GIF

Wtf are you talking about?

How many movies/tv shows have been made based off a book that followed it to the T?

Closest book adaptation movie ever made was The Godfather 1 and 2, even then there were a few changes, and many parts omitted - but the essence of every scene in that film fell off the book pages.

Almost every other adaptation from book to film have remade their version of the book to fit the medium of television and/or film.

The fuck, you watched Game of Thrones and you thought to yourself "this is a very faithful adaptation of the book?" - because, now here's a surprise, it wasn't. Many things were changed.

You're opinion is faulty on many levels, and you should just come out and say you disagree with the casting instead of making a baseless assumption of what and how a creative vision is applied in the adaptation from any medium into film.
I never said to a T.
Yes, Game of Thrones faithfully follows the books for the most part and that is what’s important.

I'll be surprised if it beats The Witcher series in terms of viewership numbers. The last post-apocalyptic show I put serious time into was The Walking Dead but I had to stop after season 4 as it just go too convoluted. Nothing will ever surpass the atmosphere of season 1 IMO.

zkorejo

Yep, this is gonna be cancelled
Didn't want to say this but I think so too. Idk how smart it is to invest so much in this genre. I think people are kind of burned out on the whole zombie apocalypse thing by now.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I really hope so. The game is already incredibly cinematic. Not making drastic changes would be boring. If it was close to a 1:1 comparison, why even bother watching? Just play the game at that point.
I, too, hope that there are some changes -- for better or for worse. But to be fair, the show isn't primarily for us (the gamers). We already know the story, the characters, and how everything goes. That's why I won't be critical of any changes they make or the lack of similarities from the game.

Because this show is for non-gamers. They wanted to introduce this world and IP to a different audience group. Hence the show has to be tweaked accordingly. I am just so happy for other people who will get to watch and enjoy this beautiful story -- who'd never have otherwise because they don't play video games.

I never said to a T.
Yes, Game of Thrones faithfully follows the books for the most part and that is what’s important.
You obviously never read the book if you would call it faithfully adapted.

Whatever the case is, there is precedent in which something is adapted closely to a its source material and failed.

And precedent in which something was not faithfully adapted to its source material, and succeeded.

If we want to talk about casting choices, sure, that's a debate I'm willing to have because it has merit in a conversation.

Unless the show completely goes far and removed from clickers and the post apocalyptic setting and turns into Riverdale with a dash of Gossip Girl - they should be allowed creative leeway.

I'm hoping if they gonna fuck it up, and not follow the game, at least it becomes a dark gritty show of a father and daughter getting by in that world - like the book and movie "The Road."

I can live with that.

Shmunter

I’m just waiting for The Last Of Us The Movie The Videogame

But in all seriousness I have an optimistic view on the series. Top talent, massive budget.

And if they adhere to the underlying brutality of a civilisation crumbled it should be quite confronting. It’s not just a zombie premise either, the game has variety to its creatures giving a lot more scope to being a monster shiw rather than a Walking Dead.

Looking forward to it.

Last edited:

THEAP99

Banned
If this show a hit I bet Druckmann will probably stick with HBO and probably leave game development.

For one, making games is harder. For two, HBO would probably compete against Sony for better benefits.

Now if this show flops, then I'm afraid for his career. Imo some slightly off casting choices will made but I'm a little optimistic I guess that it'll be good. The game dev seems more involved in this one compared to other video game adaptations

bitbydeath

You obviously never read the book if you would call it faithfully adapted.

Whatever the case is, there is precedent in which something is adapted closely to a its source material and failed.

And precedent in which something was not faithfully adapted to its source material, and succeeded.

If we want to talk about casting choices, sure, that's a debate I'm willing to have because it has merit in a conversation.

Unless the show completely goes far and removed from clickers and the post apocalyptic setting and turns into Riverdale with a dash of Gossip Girl - they should be allowed creative leeway.

I'm hoping if they gonna fuck it up, and not follow the game, at least it becomes a dark gritty show of a father and daughter getting by in that world - like the book and movie "The Road."

I can live with that.
It has been faithfully adapted, it contains most of the same story beats. Have you read it?

Why do you want to keep talking about cast?

EDMIX

ryan reynolds hd GIF

I have a feeling this’ll be very different from the game. Like, a lot
If You Say So Reaction GIF by Identity

Well you need to factor that what the game was about wasn't a simply small budget type deal.

Examples. The opening of a whole ass fucking city being destroyed.

The entire compound when Joel wakes up that is under FEDRA control.

The go in and around a building that is literally crumbling, I'd be shocked if this scene stays in the show lol

Any scene on a closed road.

An entire ass university that is empty....but with rabid chimps.

Many, many different locations and weather situations.

I think we think about The Last Of Us based on memory a bit too much, actually go back and play it and look at all that is happening, its not a small budget if done as a show. Something else that must be factored is HBO has lost the bid on multiple shows to Amazon and Netflix, they needed to play hardball and it makes sense to up the budget instead of fucking low balling the, why on earth would you WANT a low budget? To be JUST like the fucking game, it needs small budget and to be stripped down or? This game doesn't tell a simply story, many things happen in that first game that I feel is maybe not enough for 1 season or even 2, let alone asking for a small budget as if that suddenly will make it good to be cheap or something odd like that. I think they fear how people will reacted based on Game Of Thrones as i felt they should have NEVER been so cheap with such a budget and you can't beat Netflix being cheap. Those motherfuckers roll out the red carpet when they are bidding to get a studio to do their show with Netflix. So I'm more ok with this, then with some great value ass budget lol

engstra

They have people who worked on Chernobyl working on this so maybe it will turn out good. I know video game movies and shows tend to suck but maybe this will be different.
I think this is the strongest sign that this is going to be good. How they were able to create such a palpable feeling of fear and dread for radiation, a killer that can't be seen, could definitely be translated for the Last of Us and the spores.

i'll give it a shot but if it's adding a lot of woke bullshit then i'm out. i think it's pretty safe to say that i won't bother with any second season. i hope they stay true to the first game with season 1 and don't add filler or bring stuff into it from the second game.

If this show a hit I bet Druckmann will probably stick with HBO and probably leave game development.

For one, making games is harder. For two, HBO would probably compete against Sony for better benefits.

Now if this show flops, then I'm afraid for his career. Imo some slightly off casting choices will made but I'm a little optimistic I guess that it'll be good. The game dev seems more involved in this one compared to other video game adaptations
i hope the show does really well. i hope it's a success!

Last edited:

SpokkX

TLOU2 is basic cover-shooter gameplay? Oh come on....

I also don't see the need for a TV series / movie but that goes for pretty much all video games.
It is a linear pretty basic cover shooter?

sure there is stealth but not really any noteworthy mechanics (veeery basic crafting)

it is a good basic cover shooter, but still

Loope

Lord of the Rings
Pride and Prejudice
The Expanse
Fight Club
Hunger Games
The Notebook
The Chronicles of Narnia
The Boys
Netflix's Fear Street
The Green Mile
The Shawshank Redemption
Dracula
Frankenstein
Ghost in a Shell (anime)
127 Hours
Most of those had really solid basis to build on, especially the ones based on boks. Good books also.

Last edited:
Top Bottom