• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Exits Netflix; Set For 2022 Launch On Paramount+ Globally

In a just-closed deal between ViacomCBS and Netflix, the Shari Redstone-controlled company has ended the lucrative financial arrangement that launched Discovery back in 2017. With the top-tier IP fully back in the fold, the plan is for Discovery to take flight on Paramount+ around the globe starting next year.

There is a timely quality to the new deal as Season 4 of Star Trek: Discovery is set to kick off November 18 on Paramount+ in the States.

While Star Trek: Picard will still be on Amazon outside of North America and Star Trek: Lower Decks will be on the Jeff Bezos owned streamer outside the U.S., Canada and Latin America, the Starfleet shift off Netflix was hinted at earlier this year. Back at the end of September, Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: Voyager and Star Trek: Enterprise all left the streamer.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Pu0vwOZ.jpg

Last edited:

ranmafan

Honestly, I enjoyed it, even with its faults. But now that Paramount has decided to make it impossible to watch legally in Japan anytime soon with no certainty on that being fixed in the near future, I’m out. Plenty of other better shows to watch right now. Bad move on their part that is just pissing off the international fan base.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Discovery is trash.

Paramount+ is trash.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Isn't this the last season? I don't think Discovery is very Star Trek, but there are times when it is fun.

Skyfox

I gave discovery the benefit of the doubt but wow...

Don't watch it! I watched 2 seasons and out. With Picard it was 2 minutes and out.

Star trek lower decks is ok so far.

It's amazing how quickly a show can incinerate brand value and investment by going too woke.

Trogdor1123

I actually liked the first season on discovery. Thought it was a decent show. Not really star trek but still enjoyable.

The second season was... Not good. Didn't see the third.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm bummed that it's not coming out this week like it was supposed to. And I gotta wait til next year? WTH Paramount+?!?!?

Ulysses 31

Don't watch it! I watched 2 seasons and out. With Picard it was 2 minutes and out.

It's amazing how quickly a show can incinerate brand value and investment by going too woke.
Not so surprising when the writers have a disdain for the past shows and see the show as a platform for the "message" and their new characters can't keep their feelings in check.

I very much doubt we'll have scenes like this with with current ST cast.

dr_octagon

Banned
You had a talented cast of actors and manage to put out absolute trash. It goes more towards fantasy. There is no attempt at grounding it like most science fiction. Even if you ignore that, the story, characters, themes and villains turn into a third tier soap opera. There is nothing challenging or interesting to watch, just angst and explosions.

Although the concept and initial ideas seemed promising, it descends into terrible. Special effects, cinematography, set design and wardrobe is decent. Everything else should go out the airlock.

Kenpachii

Not so surprising when the writers have a disdain for the past shows and see the show as a platform for the "message" and their new characters can't keep their feelings in check.

Dam that's a good scene.

Picard is basically angry females the show.

Last edited:

Forsythia

That scene doesn't seem that special, as that's how professionals should interact, and you'd assume every normal human being knows this. But in Discovery, the characters would be yelling and crying after 2 seconds.

Discovery leaving Netflix isn't too bad, as it sucks balls anyway, but now there is no legal option to watch this show in a lot of countries I guess. It's just stupid, Paramount should've waited until they had there service up and running globally.

ItsGreat

The first episode was awful. Don't waste your bandwidth and use the unused streaming CPU cycles to save the environment instead.

Last edited:

Fbh

I admittedly kinda enjoyed S1 as a sort of standalone space fantasy show.
But S2 was pretty bad and the wokeness was always annoying.

Discovery is trash. Won't miss it.

But TNG I was still re-waching!

I was watching the Pegasus episode again at weekend for the 12th time. Fuck you Picard giving away such a tactical advantage. Romulans fucking tried to build their own one a few episodes later anyway.

Last edited:
Ahahaha, do they really think people outside of the US will subscribe to their streaming service only to watch Discovery?

laughing GIF

Didn't even bother with season 2 anymore.

Last edited:
Top Bottom