• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Indiana Jones 5’: Phoebe Waller-Bridge Lands Female Lead, John Williams is back

Elysion

Banned
I wonder what the theme of the movie is going to be. The original trilogy was kind of an homage to 30s adventure movies/pulp fiction, while Crystal Skull referenced the whole Ufo-mania that broke out in the 50s, when ‚flying saucers‘ were all the rage.

This new movie should take place in the 60s or 70s, so maybe it will be an homage to spy novels and movies?

I wonder what the theme of the movie is going to be. The original trilogy was kind of an homage to 30s adventure movies/pulp fiction, while Crystal Skull referenced the whole Ufo-mania that broke out in the 50s, when ‚flying saucers‘ were all the rage.

This new movie should take place in the 60s or 70s, so maybe it will be an homage to spy novels and movies?
I think the current rumor is the fountain of youth with a de-aged indy.

VulcanRaven

I'm pretty sure they want to make it like the old movies. Spielberg is not directing and Lucas isn't involved so I wouldn't expect them to want to change the style. Lucas was behind the 50s scifi idea.

Last edited:
Ford is too old, Williams completely phoned it in on the sequel trilogy, and Bridge is always awful so this is an easy pass despite Mangold being involved.

I can't remember a single note of the sequels soundtrack. Then again, Williams did have three turds to score.

Last edited:

BigBooper

shia GIF

Let's grind absolutely everything into the ground so people get so burned out on new movies that they don't want to watch them anymore.

I think I've seen maybe 3 movies released in the last five years.

Last edited:

INC

shia GIF

Let's grind absolutely everything into the ground so people get so burned out on new movies that they don't want to watch them anymore.

100% agree

I've gone back to classic cinema, where scripts mattered

Cant remember the last film that actually stayed with me, maybe prisoners, actually I only saw that last year

FunkMiller

Gold Member
shia GIF

I used to go to the cinema weekly. Now the only film I care about seeing is t even out this year (The Batman). I’d be frankly happy to never see the inside of a cinema again. It’s just wall to wall corporate dross, and well meaning dull dramas. All the fun and creativity has been sucked out of Hollywood, and I am looking forward to the great collapse.

Pejo

I was kinda hoping they went the Nutty Professor route and let Shia LeBeouf play himself, a female lead, the farty uncle, etc.

Also, for those worried about old Indi, maybe this is another prequel when Indi was trans as a youth (played by Waller-Bridge).

So much potential here to suck

Mato

I'd rather they deep fake a young Ford, if he must be in the film. Otherwise it's just sad.

O-N-E

Seems strange that Hollywood will race-bend existing characters in their top franchises, even though new characters are the better candidate for "more representation".

Have a White lady tho.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Mads Mikkelsen (Doctor Strange, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) has landed a role in the fifth instalment of the iconic action adventure franchise.
Details on his character are still under wraps, but we wouldn't exactly be shocked if he's been cast as the villain

Not so much a fan of indiana jones, but Phoebe was great in ehh what's it called.. Fleabag.

Fleabag was great imho. So let's see what happens.

Mads Mikkelsen (Doctor Strange, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) has landed a role in the fifth instalment of the iconic action adventure franchise.
Details on his character are still under wraps, but we wouldn't exactly be shocked if he's been cast as the villain

Fuck yes

Don't worry, he'll probably be in it for 5 minutes before some female bodybuilder villain takes a 5 iron to his face and the new sidekick replaces him as the main protagonist.

ManaByte

Gold Member

This one should be set in 1971

Crystal Skull was in real-time following Last Crusade 1938 -> 1957 (19 years, same time as 1989 -> 2008).

So with that 2008 -> 2022 is 14 years making this one set in 1971 if they're doing the same real-time gap they did last time.

Sevenfold

Such an iconic scene, but for all the wrong reasons. There's a scene in an Outriders sidequest that references it

Yeah I found it?

Anyway I look forward to the intro where a bus picks Indi up and he has to ask one of the passengers if it's to the shops, the doctors, a funeral or if war had broken out.

Last edited:

Sybrix

The more updates/leaks i read, the more disappointed i am that this movie is coming out....

Did they not learn from the shit show that was Indy 4?

The first 3 films are so good and so iconic and it just gets ruined with this shit.

For this film to have any chance of being half decent. it needs to have a Logan type theme to be any good at all.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
What's with the Phoebe hate? She was absolutely brilliant in Fleabag and nailed Killing eve, she's a seriously talented woman, Also Mangold made one of the best superhero movies of all time in Logan, fuck I dunno so far this is shaping up to be alreet

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
At the end it should just be Harrison Ford waking up in a nursing home. CG Sean Connery, and all the other characters from the movies are just residents at the home. Turns out the first one through the 5th one were all just Fantasies. The staff laughing at the old man who thinks he found biblical treasures and fought the Nazis. "Just another one of your episodes, Dr Jones."

Why is everyone freaking out about this? Have you seen an Indiana Jones movie before? Indy has always had other people, including women, by his side during his adventures, so I'm not sure what the issue is?

Mangold is a great director, and Phoebe is a great actress, so I'll reserve my judgement until we learn more. Hopfully Karen Allen comes back as well.

I get that we've seen some really dumb "woke" movies over the past few years, but please, terms like "woke" and "sjw" are not hammers, and all movies and tv-shows made nowadays are not nails. Some of you are throwing those terms around the same way the far left throws around words like "Nazi" and "sexist".

Last edited:
What's with the Phoebe hate? She was absolutely brilliant in Fleabag and nailed Killing eve, she's a seriously talented woman, Also Mangold made one of the best superhero movies of all time in Logan, fuck I dunno so far this is shaping up to be alreet
Oh yeah the follow up to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull that movie that everyone loved? And there is an 80 year old Indy? And he will be tailed by a yappy self involved Brit? Sounds so good!!! 🤡

Phoebe defense force is hilarious. She is the spawn of landed gentry, this chick is one of the most privileged people on the planet. At least Harrison Ford was a carpenter before he got his acting break.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

Why is everyone freaking out about this? Have you seen an Indiana Jones movie before? Indy has always had other people, including women, by his side during his adventures, so I'm not sure what the issue is?

Mangold is a great director, and Phoebe is a great actress, so I'll reserve my judgement until we learn more. Hopfully Karen Allen comes back as well.

I get that we've seen some really dumb "woke" movies over the past few years, but please, terms like "woke" and "sjw" are not hammers, and all movies and tv-shows made nowadays are not nails. Some of you are throwing those terms around the same way the far left throws around words like "Nazi" and "sexist".
fine, let's ignore the fact that they hired an obnoxious actress that can't open her mouth without dropping a woke screed. We can put that aside.

Why do we need 5 Indiana Jones movies, this new one featuring a lead who is 80 years old. Maybe people are just tired of this constant franchise rehashing shit?

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Oh yeah the follow up to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull that movie that everyone loved? And there is an 80 year old Indy? And he will be tailed by a yappy self involved Brit? Sounds so good!!! 🤡

Phoebe defense force is hilarious. She is the spawn of landed gentry, this chick is one of the most privileged people on the planet. At least Harrison Ford was a carpenter before he got his acting break.
What the fuck has that got to do with the price of fish? She can act and she can write and is talented as fuck.. are we hating on strong independent successful women who say hurty things now??

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
One of my favorite John Williams themes:

beautiful piece of work.. love any religious themed music

one of the biggest disappointments of Crystal Skull was the recycling of prior John William's scores... he didnt seem to create a new theme for the new movie.. i hope that is not the case with Indy 5

Sephimoth

Wonder if the story will go back and forth between older/current Indiana and a younger de-aged Indiana, based around hunting the same mcguffin.
Whatever happens I hope this one is a redemption.

strong independent
She is not "independent". Hahah. Her family is fabulously rich. They are old world aristocrats. "Independent" lol. She has massive privilege.

The landed gentry, or the gentry, is a largely historical British social class of landowners who could live entirely from rental income, or at least had a country estate. While distinct from, and socially below, the British peerage their economic base in land was often similar, although in fact some of the landed gentry were wealthier than some peers, and many gentry were close relatives of peers and it wasn't uncommon for gentry to marry into peerage. It is the British element of the wider European class of gentry. With or without noble title, owning rural land estates often brought with it the legal rights of lord of the manor, and the less formal name or title of squire, in Scotland laird.

Like I don't get how being super rich and being able to buy your way into an industry makes you independent. How does that work?

Last edited:
Top Bottom