• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Indiana Jones 5’: Phoebe Waller-Bridge Lands Female Lead, John Williams is back

VulcanRaven

‘Indiana Jones 5’: Phoebe Waller-Bridge Lands Female Lead In Next Installment Opposite Harrison Ford:

EXCLUSIVE: Following the confirmation at the Disney Investors Presentation in December that the next film was a go, Lucasfilm and director James Mangold look to have their sights set on Harrison Ford’s first new co-star in the next installment of the Indiana Jones franchise. Sources tell Deadline that Fleabag Emmy winner Phoebe Waller-Bridge is set to co-star opposite Ford in the fifth installment, with Ford returning as everyone’s favorite fedora-wearing, whip-slinging archaeologist.

Mangold is taking over directing reins from Steven Spielberg, who still is serving as a producer and is very much involved in various elements of the film. Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall and Simon Emanuel will join Spielberg as producers. John Williams, who has worked on every score in the 40-year-old franchise including its iconic theme, also will return as composer.

The hope is to start production this summer, with Mangold meeting with other talent for other roles in preparation for production. Plot details are still vague on what new adventure awaits Jones, as are details behind who Waller-Bridge will play. The film is set to bow on July 29, 2022.

Eyi1KumWYAMygrk

McCheese

Harrison Ford is still the lead. She is co-starring. Did you read the article?

He's 5,000 years old, and a replicant with a best before date, and got thrown down a death-star. I don't think he'll be in the movie swinging around and diving under very slowly closing doors as much as a young female co-star.

TeamGizzyy

Banned
I cannot wait until she puts that stupid man in his place. She don't need no man. /s

It's going to happen. You know. It know it.

kunonabi

Ford is too old, Williams completely phoned it in on the sequel trilogy, and Bridge is always awful so this is an easy pass despite Mangold being involved.

Ionian

Why don't they just put this to rest and make some new IP?
No one wants Indy in his 80's and some new female lead.

But the last one they did was so good!!!!

DDFiIzeMd48p4RqXGZef6DfEmuwuV4SPyAjmZ-f36M8wYfscjUI2goDiB_VAz3R3ZTabfmakFLA6Fph7hgozUWZqeAQbw6sA8yEDE0owXgHvNgZGwHcjG2VP8PyM2MJ28rLjzA

He sure has a habit of crashing things, light aircraft and even a fridge.

Still survives though!

No wonder he's bored. Couldn't even be killed by Boba Fett and Jabba whilst blind.

The aliens were such a bad choice in the last one. Indy's best macguffins are religious relics. The Holy Grail and Ark of the Covenant we understand Indy is a towering legendary hero if he can deal with artifacts this powerful.

Sankara Stones were made up bs, but they worked on the same principle. You saw how they brought the village back to life. And Indy proved himself worthy of the tests, and knew which stone was correct.

The crystal skull is just... what is it? It doesn't' belong to any Earth culture. It isn't even human, and archeology is the study of human history. They go to some vague generic CGI South American temples and pretend they came from there. Sorry. Not buying it.

The Holy Grail once held the blood of Jesus, who was brought back from the dead, and it is used to bring Indy's father back from the dead. Indy has to pass multiple tests to even get there, proving himself an instrument of God. We see an ancient still living Arthurian Knight, proving the grail's power is real.

With a crystal skull you are just like, yeah, here it is, oh, look out! Now it's magnetic! Oh wow, Indy can't be hypnotized by a magnetic crystal skull. That's... cool...

Last edited:
It was too much watching an old and fragile Indiana in the last movie. Now he's even older and will probably be a sidekick to a strong female woman who needs no man.
Not going to watch it anyway. I hope it flops.

tsumake

It was too much watching an old and fragile Indiana in the last movie. Now he's even older and will probably be a sidekick to a strong female woman who needs no man.
Not going to watch it anyway. I hope it flops.

Hey, there is enough of an interest to make another one. Spielberg is direc-....

James Mangold is directing it. So if it fails, we can all blame Mangold. Brilliant.

Arkam

After the Crystal Skull they have a lot of nerve doing another. One would think Ford knows better... but at this point in his career it’s just another paycheck I suppose. Zero interest in this.

VulcanRaven

After the Crystal Skull they have a lot of nerve doing another. One would think Ford knows better... but at this point in his career it’s just another paycheck I suppose. Zero interest in this.
I think Ford is doing this because he likes making Indiana Jones movies. He wouldn't do this if he didn't like the story. I'm very excited about this and the upcoming game.

GeorgPrime

Banned
Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
You may hate Kingdom of the Crystal Skull now, but you'll soon regret that Mutt wasn't promoted to become Indy's replacement. ;)

Last edited:

MadAnon

Is there really such a desperate audience who wants to watch an 80 year old Indiana Jones going on an adventure? Just retire these god damn roles already. It's not enough that we need to see 70+ year old Rambo going berserk or Arny playing a retirement home Terminator. Just let it go.

If you really are serious about Indiana Jones then do a full blown reboot with a new actor ffs.

Last edited:
Is there really such a desperate audience who wants to watch an 80 year old Indiana Jones going on an adventure?
Yes, if it were written like the original three movies.

Knowing that Harrison Ford is pushing 80 and Stallone and Arnold are in their 70s really makes me feel old. I remember my parents taking me out of school early one day when I was in 1st grade to go watch Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I have a bad feeling that this film is gonna have a "Back to the Future" format where old indy has to go back to the 20's to save young indy through Bridge as his spunky proto-feminist proxy. She has a good look for a 20s-30's moll, just not sure she would be willing to be the traditional damsel in distress.

Maybe she is the predatory treasure hunter professor that seduces and corrupts young indy and pushes him down the path he was on in RotLA (banging students, stealing from other cultures) until old indy puts the kernel of hope in him.

All while they dig up Atlantis, of course.

Top Bottom