• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Cyberpunk 2077,’ Delayed Another Year, Could Have Changed The Industry

Three

I always thought after the first delay the devs should have kept quiet until it was really ready.
The delays didn't make sense at all. They were saying it's delayed due to last gen consoles implying the next gen versions were in good shape but the next gen version didn't drop until ~2 yrs later. It made no sense. I'm of the opinion that they had some contractual obligation to be the Xbox Series launch game because it had nothing else but Cyberpunk 2077 for marketing.

More people have now access to machines capable of running it decently. But I assume sales on PS4 and One were supposed to be a big chunk of its projected success, and it is to this day not really advisable to get it for those. So 1 year seems not enough even though I don't necessarily see what is in Cyberpunk which is totally incompatible with the power of the last gen, at least not to the extend were it loads that slow and needs reduced traffic and whatnot. The guys of Evolution fixed Driveclub with a huge delay, personally I stil don't see any appeal in "what do you do?" NMS but whatever was missing is now there and I guess even more. CD Project though reduced much detail and it still is not really running as intended on last gen. A year seems not enough to really fix the intention and plans, deciding for only next gen though would have prevented any PR disaster and Sony fallout, without needing an extra year.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I played it on XSX and I have to admit that it was overall a decent experience. Was it a masterpiece? No. I'd still give it 8/10 as of right now.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The delays didn't make sense at all. They were saying it's delayed due to last gen consoles implying the next gen versions were in good shape but the next gen version didn't drop until ~2 yrs later. It made no sense. I'm of the opinion that they had some contractual obligation to be the Xbox Series launch game because it had nothing else but Cyberpunk 2077 for marketing.
I don't buy this at all. This is all on CDPR.

N30RYU

Little Dog Dreaming GIF by Harley's Dream

they dreamed tooo big

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Game just isent that good I'm sorry...

There are too many issues with the mechanics and while most people where quite rightly thanks to the marketing expecting a fallout/eldersrolls type experience.

Instead we got what was clearly an unfinished game... remember when cutscenes where third person? So that you could see your character and the clothing they had one... hence why the game had all these diffrent looking clothing items, this was removed to he more "immersive" but honestly it was obviously to save time on being forced to animate conversations for V. How about the original promise of multiple apartments (I know they patched this in later), or going to a lot to buy your car not just over the phone.

Thats the game in a nutshell a pile of obvious cuts due to lack of time and/or talent. However what is left while you can tell parts shine through, is just not that great.

I wish they had instead focussed on a single district maybe 2 of Megacity and then expanded once that was worked on... imagine if instead of having everything spread out, they instead compressed and condensed everything to take place in this much smaller space, allowing that part of the city to feel alive.

Last edited:

Three

I don't buy this at all. This is all on CDPR.
Absolutely all on CDPR but what I mean is that they would have had pressure to be the launch xbox series game so might not have easily been able to delay another year with the marketing contractual obligation. They had the marketing deal and MS positioned it as the game that console launch (the E3 where everyone was talking about Cyberpunk and Keanu, that was MS' big game for marketing). Saying lets delay another year wouldn't have went down well for them or MS.

Take some time and fully read this thread and see how most people basically made Cyberpunk the launch xbox series game during that time:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/what-are-you-playing-at-launch-on-your-next-gen-systems.1568477/

It's clear they positioned it as the big launch game, and didn't remove it from the store when it was a mess. Cyberpunk dominated the media that holiday much like ER did this spring.
The hype and marketing for Cyberpunk helped fight hype for other competing system launch games that holiday. Without it there would have been nothing. I wouldn't have wanted to be in that meeting where CDPR could have said "we can't make this year either let's do next year" to MS who didn't have Halo coming either.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Absolutely all on CDPR but what I mean is that they would have had pressure to be the launch xbox series game so might not have easily been able to delay another year with the marketing contractual obligation. They had the marketing deal and MS positioned it as the game that console launch (the E3 where everyone was talking about Cyberpunk and Keanu, that was MS' big game for marketing). Saying lets delay another year wouldn't have went down well for them or MS.

Take some time and fully read this thread and see how most people basically made Cyberpunk the launch xbox series game during that time:

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/what-are-you-playing-at-launch-on-your-next-gen-systems.1568477/

It's clear they positioned it as the big launch game, and didn't remove it from the store when it was a mess. Cyberpunk dominated the media that holiday much like ER did this spring.
The hype and marketing for Cyberpunk helped fight hype for other competing system launch games that holiday. Without it there would have been nothing. I wouldn't have wanted to be in that meeting where CDPR could have said "we can't make this year let's do next year" to MS who didn't have Halo coming either.
No surprise to see you think the state of the game is some how Microsofts fault.

Anyway imo its becoming increasingly obvious that this game was made for the PC market, and ports to console came late in the cycle. From the graphics on Ultra (which are better than almost all 'next gen' games so far, to how badly the game looks and runs on last gen consoles.
It sems to me that they didnt realize how hard it was going to be to port the game to last gen, and when they came around to doing that late in the development, we got the numerous delays, and cut content.

It reminds me very much of Dragon Age Inquisition, where EA told them to make a last gen version very late in development, and the 360/PS3 versions ended up being terrible, and a shadow of the PC/XB1/PS4 vrsion.

Three

No surprise to see you think the state of the game is some how Microsofts fault.

Anyway imo its becoming increasingly obvious that this game was made for the PC market, and ports to console came late in the cycle. From the graphics on Ultra (which are better than almost all 'next gen' games so far, to how badly the game looks and runs on last gen consoles.
It sems to me that they didnt realize how hard it was going to be to port the game to last gen, and when they came around to doing that late in the development, we got the numerous delays, and cut content.

It reminds me very much of Dragon Age Inquisition, where EA told them to make a last gen version very late in development, and the 360/PS3 versions ended up being terrible, and a shadow of the PC/XB1/PS4 vrsion.
I don't think it's MS fault. I even say it's absolutely all on CDPR. I'm just saying why they might not have wanted to delay another year and let down partners and marketing. Not surprised to see you jump to MS defence when there was no real attack though.

Last edited:

Dane

It boggles the mind, the squandered potential and the poor management on display. I could write a 50-page essay on how amazing this game is in theory and in many ways in reality, and how catastrophically poor it was mismanaged.

And for what? CDPR's reputation went from all-time fan favorite, loved by all, to a laughing stock of epic proportions.

The game is an overwhelming visual accomplishment with a city design that is so filled to the brim with details wherever you go, that you can't not just be in awe at the herculean task performed by CDPR's visual and world designers. A pinnacle of videogaming as a medium that should've been added to the all-time hall of fame but was pissed away by a small group of idiot managers who were way, WAY out of their depth and borderline destroyed an otherwise incredible IP.

Dumb fucks.
It shocks me that they actually pushed the game foward by more than a year, basically the delays were just time borrowing because the management insisted on not releasing in 2022 as some developers said in anonymous condition, even in that behind the scenes leaked video there's a scene with the executable window stating the trademark with 2012-2022.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Is it still getting updates? I played a bit of it on Series X when it got the next gen patch and thought it seemed fine.

penguininthesun

Neo Member
I personally thought it was great, but I don’t think an extra year of development would have made it industry changing. It could have been prettier sure, but it would have to be a totally different game to be something revolutionary. As someone who doesn’t usually play these types of games, I was surprised to see how much hate this game got. Anyway, it’s sad that it didn’t live up to whatever people imagined it to be, but I feel like I got my money’s worth. All $10 of it. I’m not going to watch the anime, but I would love to see this world explored in a sequel.

Pallas

Gold Member
Personally I think trying to get this to work properly on Xbox One/PS4 was the major issue. If they had made this next gen only, Im pretty sure we’d all be discussing this game a bit differently. Sure delaying it again would probably be beneficial but it was clearly held back by old consoles.

Reallink

Personally I think trying to get this to work properly on Xbox One/PS4 was the major issue. If they had made this next gen only, Im pretty sure we’d all be discussing this game a bit differently. Sure delaying it again would probably be beneficial but it was clearly held back by old consoles.

PS5/SX can't even run it, the so called next-gen patches struggle to hit 1440p/30 at low/med presets with only the unnoticeable single worst RT feature enabled (shadows). The performance mode drops RT shadows and also drops dynamic resolution as low as 1200p to hit 40fps in places. No amount of time was going to fix this game on a technical level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom