• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Batgirl’: Brendan Fraser To Play Villain In New Warner Bros. And DC Pic Starring Leslie Grace

Soodanim

Gold Member
It's not always mentioned, but the guy was brilliant in Scrubs. According to the rewatch podcast that I used to listen to, the camera he used in the show was his own. Not a relevant piece of trivia at all.

carlosrox

Banned
Didn't he claim he got touched by someone in Hollywood or something? Or am I thinking of someone else?

He was truly excellent in The Mummy. That whole movie was great. Very well done blend of action, horror, and comedy. That series deserved better. The second one was pretty good but it got a bit too goofy.

Would be great to see some kind of comeback for him. Actor comebacks are always good.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Give him all the money. The guy is a god damned treasure that got fucked to death by the cruel world that is Hollywood. No joke he might be the best actor that got fucked by off screen nonsense in the last 20yrs. He never did anything wrong and was always a S-Tier human being. Yet was on the receiving end of the shit stick every time.

Gimme him as the star in anything besides the usual no talent trash and you will get my money automatically on principle.

FCugvWVWEAkKbmE

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Just read up on Wikipedia. No wonder he looks like hell, he lived through it. And the #MeToo stuff just goes to show how one-sided the whole thing is. A woman speaks up, people rally for support. But God forbid a man speak up, nothing will get done and he’ll get slammed. I fucking hate Hollywood at times.

What are you talking about? He got lots fo support.

IntentionalPun

Define "lots" because the investigation against the guy who molested Fraiser was nothing but a sham.
From the media.. from fellow actors.

Lots of accused folks didn't lose jobs, had investigations go nowhere, etc Particularly those w/ a single unprovable incident. The guy didn't really "work" for the HFPA anymore anyways, was just a Golden Globes voter.

Doesn't mean Fraser didn't get support.

He certainly didn't:

MrFancyPants said:
get slammed

Look I'm not saying men who get sexually assaulted dont get less support in general.. but that issue is taken way less seriously by MEN in general.. of all kinds... Fraser DID get a lot of support though.

But he didn't get "slammed".. WTF? lol

Last edited:

plushyp

Lots of accused folks didn't lose jobs, had investigations go nowhere, etc Particularly those w/ a single unprovable incident. The guy didn't really "work" for the HFPA anymore anyways, was just a Golden Globes voter.
Actually Philip Berk was a member of the HFPA for 44 years and according to an article from earlier this year he was only expelled for a racist email against BLM this year: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...fpa-member-expelled-for-racist-email-4169396/

Look I'm not saying men who get sexually assaulted dont get less support in general.. but that issue is taken way less seriously by MEN in general.. of all kinds... Fraser DID get a lot of support though.
Rather the issue is taken less seriously by everyone in general.

Regarding the support part though, kind of hard to quantify now that I think about it.

Yoboman

Doesn't mean Fraser didn't get support.

He certainly didn't:

But he didn't get "slammed".. WTF? lol
Hes basically been out of work for over a decade and Hollywood in general has only started to welcome him back into the fold lately. Fraser was absolute A list - like a family friendly Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt in the early 2000s but then totally disappeared off the map.

His accusations were behind closed doors so it wasn't a matter of most not taking him seriously but the power brokers in Hollywood rubbing him out

Id go on the other side and say #MeToo was a big help for somebody like Brendan Fraser. His story was made public during that period and has finally led to him getting his comeback

And you can tell the guy has been through hell. Even the Brendan Fraser meme of him crying is a tragic back story, which was a photo taken after the day after his dad died I believe. Bet the guy felt the whole world was against him for awhile

IntentionalPun

Actually Philip Berk was a member of the HFPA for 44 years and according to an article from earlier this year he was only expelled for a racist email against BLM this year: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...fpa-member-expelled-for-racist-email-4169396/

Yes he was a member of an association; that association revolves around voting for the golden globes.

He previously was President, my understand is that person is actually employed by them. He wasn't working for them anymore when when the accusation went public in 2018.

Rather the issue is taken less seriously by everyone in general.

Regarding the support part though, kind of hard to quantify now that I think about it.

Yes, that's what I meant.... everyone.. including men, unfortunately.

Sure, but it's not hard at all to "quantify" that he wasn't SLAMMED by anyone lol

Feel like y'all are just ignoring the post I responded to.

Last edited:

plushyp

Yes he was a member of an association; that association revolves around voting for the golden globes.

He previously was President, my understand is that person is actually employed by them. He wasn't working for them anymore when when the accusation went public in 2018.
True but he was still a member of the HFPA until his email incident in April.

Yes, that's what I meant.... everyone.. including men, unfortunately.
Everyone including men and women yeah, just felt odd that you wrote men in caps which is why I mentioned that.

Sure, but it's not hard at all to "quantify" that he wasn't SLAMMED by anyone lol

Feel like y'all are just ignoring the post I responded to.
I never said "slammed" though so best to ask S Star-Lord and what's with you using y'all like those crazies on twitter lol.

Last edited:

dr_octagon

Banned
Didn't he claim he got touched by someone in Hollywood or something? Or am I thinking of someone else?

He was truly excellent in The Mummy. That whole movie was great. Very well done blend of action, horror, and comedy. That series deserved better. The second one was pretty good but it got a bit too goofy.

Would be great to see some kind of comeback for him. Actor comebacks are always good.
A producer or exec grabbed his junk. I think Fraser complained and it's something played down cos men being sexually harassed isn't taken seriously. He was understandably unsettled by the experience. The creepy cunts in Hollywood will ruin your career if you resist.

He was a great actor, seems like a decent guy and it's a shame he didn't continue his success in movies.

Amazing how people's perception of what "normal" or "aging" is when all you look at are pics of the current popular celebrities who have had either plastic surgery or have a fully-funded meal/intense workout routine for a new role or marketing/press photo shoot.

People are too used to their big budget Disney and Universal Studios soap operas.

Brendan Fraser's situation is common, but he's lucky to be in this position of making a comeback. Like Yaboman said, this comeback probably wouldn't have happened without the metoo movement. Every industry has this problem and people like Fraser.

Last edited:

Banned
There was a giantbomb video on the brendan fraser story.

But from Wikipedia

The stunts Fraser performed in his action roles eventually required him to undergo several surgeries over a period of seven years, including a partial knee replacement, a laminectomy, and vocal cord surgery.

Fraser alleged in 2018 that he was sexually assaulted by Philip Berk, the president of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, at a luncheon in the summer of 2003. The assault, his subsequent divorce, and the death of his mother launched Fraser into a depression that, combined with his health issues and a backlash within the industry over speaking out against Berk, he believes caused his career to decline.

tenor.gif

Top Bottom