• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mozart in the Jungle - An orchestral dramedy from Coppola/Schwartzman - Now on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

What happens behind the curtains at the symphony is just as captivating as what happens on stage. Brash new maestro Rodrigo is stirring things up, and young oboist Hailey hopes for her big chance.

Creators: Alex Timbers, Paul Weitz (About a Boy), Roman Coppola (The Darjeeling Limited), and Jason Schwartzman (Rushmore).
Genre: Comedy-drama
Format: Half-hour
Studio: Amazon Studios
Network: Amazon.com
Premiere Date: 12/23 -- ALL EPISODES
Timeslot: Whenever!

Season 1 Trailer: Link

Watch the pilot for free: Link

CAST

What are the critics saying?

Boston Herald said:
Mozart in the Jungle is surprisingly good, whether you’re into classical music or not. In fact, it’s almost as good as something you might find on HBO, which is what Amazon needs if it wants to succeed in the online television business.

USA Today said:
Yet another terrifically offbeat and off-the-beaten-path comedy, sparked by another great, career-shifting central performance--this time from Gael Garcia Bernal as the charismatic new conductor of the fictional New York Symphony.

Alan Sepinwall said:
There are other half-hours I might recommend first as a holiday binge if you haven't seen them yet. But "Mozart" is an interesting, colorful look at a world I don't know well, filled with fun performances.

The Daily Beast said:
Forget everything you assumed about the lives of classic musicians. Turns out, they’re not so boring. Mozart in the Jungle, then, is like Girls meets Amadeus.

Philadelphia Daily News said:
The pilot, posted on Amazon back in February for viewers to vote on, may have relied a bit too heavily on the sex-and-drugs angle. I found the setting intriguing, the characters less so. Subsequent episodes--I've seen seven--got me hooked.

People Weekly said:
The series nails everything that NBC's Smash failed to do with the world of Broadway theater last year, providing a rollicking backstage look at the crazy, temperamental people engaged in artistic expression.

Variety said:
While Mozart is surely a niche confection, the show generally shines by proving long on charm even when it’s short on laughs.

Los Angeles Times said:
I would encourage you to keep watching "Mozart in the Jungle" ... past its so-so, sometimes off-putting pilot. It gets good thereafter — very good.

I forgot the show was premiering today, so in a rush I just copied the OT format from ivysaur12's Transparent thread. So. Thanks for that. :p

I was wondering why the actress who plays Hailey looked so weirdly familiar to me for some reason...that's Jemima Kirke's sister, heh.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Is this Alex Timbers' show? I forget what he had to do with it. Co-creator or writer of some sort?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Wikipedia lists him as co-creator and co-writer, but he wasn't on the official Amazon page for some reason.
He's a theatre guy. I don't know how much TV/film he's done, if any. He's how I know what this is though. Plus they shot a bit of it at work. The theater I work at a lot pops up in the trailer repeatedly. That's fun.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
He's a theatre guy. I don't know how much TV/film he's done, if any. He's how I know what this is though. Plus they shot a bit of it at work. The theater I work at a lot pops up in the trailer repeatedly. That's fun.

That's pretty neat. (I added him to the op, btw.)

ivysaur12

Banned
You could honestly skip the pilot. It's just not a great pilot, and so much is different in terms of character motivation and arc from the pilot to the actual season.

It's 1:45 and I'm waiting the 106 episode. Apparently 107 is fantastic. Also, Lola Kirke is so great
and so much better than her sister.

Desperado

As a music student, I can't look away. The pilot was messy, but yeah, it gets better. Just starting episode 5. I tired really quickly of the womanizing side of Rodrigo, I hope they stay away from that cliché as much as possible going forward.

ivysaur12

Banned
As a music student, I can't look away. The pilot was messy, but yeah, it gets better. Just starting episode 5. I tired really quickly of the womanizing side of Rodrigo, I hope they stay away from that cliché as much as possible going forward.

I thought 5 was really strong, though, if that's an aspect you dislike, eh, not sure how you feel. It felt very together and tight. I'm actually impressed how tight a lot the stories are considering how utterly floaty the pilot felt. (I also don't understand Rodrigo's relationship with Thomas. It seems very convenient.)

Also, as a music student, how is the music? Or specifically, the portrayal of the orchestra?

EDIT: Oh wow, episode 7 was fantastic. Great directing work by Roman Coppola.

Also, lol everytime he says "Hi-lie"

EDIT 2: Oh god. I get what they were going for in 108, but it REALLY needed a better director to pull that off.

ivysaur12

Banned
Just finished. The finale was very good, though
I wish they explained why Betty's car didn't take her to the right place even after her protests. It seemed very convenient.

That being said, I was totally engrossed for the whole 30 minutes. What a weird, engaging show. Episodes 7, 9, and 10 were really fucking strong. I'll probably write more later, but for the time being, I'd say please watch. I would like someone to talk to about it.

I'm very interested in this. How does it compare, quality-wise, to Nodame Cantabile? It's my golden standard of classical music drama, but I expect it to aim high.

I love Gael Garcia Bernal, so I'll at least try it for him.

Vert boil

It's sooo easy to binge watch this. It felt like I dumped an entire bag of the most delightfully tacky, eye roll inducing trash into my mouth.
The only problem is that I've already forgotten the non-existent story already.

Rodelina

Neo Member
Just finished all episodes. I liked this very much and look forward to a season 2. I'm happy that the remainder of the season down played some of the components of the pilot although I did enjoy the pilot overall.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Something this show has in common with Transparent: episodes go by very quickly. I've already watched the first two episodes and it doesn't seem like any time has passed at all.

Brakke

Banned
I wish they explained why Betty's car didn't take her to the right place even after her protests. It seemed very convenient.

That being said, I was totally engrossed for the whole 30 minutes. What a weird, engaging show. Episodes 7, 9, and 10 were really fucking strong. I'll probably write more later, but for the time being, I'd say please watch. I would like someone to talk to about it.

Strong endorsement. I've never heard of this. Will check it out after holiday travels~

daydream

Banned
As a Prime customer, I have made zero use of Amazon Video, yet. I might as well try out their service with this, given how it's exclusive (for the time being, anyway).

In regards to the spoiler, they drop a pretty strong hint as to why
The driver of the car is the driver from earlier in the season who Rodrigo bonded with and went to visit his sister at the restaurant. He even tells the same joke, but in English this time. It's pretty clear Rodrigo set it up so that Hailey would have to fill in.

jb1234

Binge-watched the whole thing in one evening. Boy, that was fun! Lots of great performances. Aside from Episode 8 (which stuck me as misconceived and bizarre), the final set of episodes were especially strong. I'm not familiar with the Sibelius Violin Concerto and now I'm going to study it.

Also, I must have taken the wrong turn in classical music culture because I don't remember it being this drugged out (although the sex doesn't surprise me).

Betty is such an awful person. They try to humanize her a few times throughout the run but I wouldn't want to work with her, much less be around her.

yoplay

Magnificent! "The Rehersal" and "You Go to My Head" are incredible episodes. What a wonderful series. As I get older (32), I find myself careening towards Jazz and Classical music. Can't wait to dive into those massive rich catalogs.

bounchfx

only watched the first episode so far, and in addition to all of the women being incredibly hot, I thought it was great. looking forward to watching more tomorrow

thefit

My wife is watching this right now. I have slipped on my headphones and am watching the batsu stream provided by gaf. Thanks gaf!

ivysaur12

Banned
In regards to the spoiler, they drop a pretty strong hint as to why
The driver of the car is the driver from earlier in the season who Rodrigo bonded with and went to visit his sister at the restaurant. He even tells the same joke, but in English this time. It's pretty clear Rodrigo set it up so that Hailey would have to fill in.

Ahhhhh. I just didn't get that. Okay. That makes complete sense. Into it.

Magnificent! "The Rehersal" and "You Go to My Head" are incredible episodes. What a wonderful series. As I get older (32), I find myself careening towards Jazz and Classical music. Can't wait to dive into those massive rich catalogs.

"You Go to My Head" is one of my favorite episodes of the year.

Binge-watched the whole thing in one evening. Boy, that was fun! Lots of great performances. Aside from Episode 8 (which stuck me as misconceived and bizarre), the final set of episodes were especially strong. I'm not familiar with the Sibelius Violin Concerto and now I'm going to study it.

Also, I must have taken the wrong turn in classical music culture because I don't remember it being this drugged out (although the sex doesn't surprise me).

Betty is such an awful person. They try to humanize her a few times throughout the run but I wouldn't want to work with her, much less be around her.

8 was a rare misstep in the last 5 episodes.

yoplay

"You Go to My Head" is imo the television episode of the year...and I watch a lot of television. It takes the slot over the Knick episode "Get the Rope." Love how widespread good tv is nowadays. Looking forward to giving Benched a try along with the anticipated The Fall (season 2). Hope u guys continue to hunt down great television shows and share ur thoughts on Gaf. Cheers.

ivysaur12

Banned
"You Go to My Head" is imo the television episode of the year...and I watch a lot of television. It takes the slot over the Knick episode "Get the Rope." Love how widespread good tv is nowadays. Looking forward to giving Benched a try along with the anticipated The Fall (season 2). Hope u guys continue to hunt down great television shows and share ur thoughts on Gaf. Cheers.

This show came out of nowhere and it's not perfect, but by the end it really came into its own. That episode, though. Wow.

genjiZERO

I saw them filming this over by NYU during the fall. Checked out the first episode which I thought was absolutely terrible - felt no desire to see any more.

Wes

venison crêpe
I adore Rodrigo's pronunciation of "Hailey".

Takes a couple of episodes to settle in. I thought the pilot was a little weak. Episode 6+ is where it really finds itself.

Last few episodes were lovely.

Brakke

Banned
Haven't gotten to it yet but still intend to.

Grantland: Rock Me, Amadeus: Why Amazon’s Classical-Music Comedy ‘Mozart in the Jungle’ Is Worth a Binge

2014 brought us a buzzer-beater, a show good enough to reorder a year-end ranking that arrived slightly too late for last year’s lists and slightly too early for 2015’s: Mozart in the Jungle

Between its release date, its title, its setting, its decentralized, multi-aged ensemble, and its difficult-to-classify tone, Mozart in the Jungle is begging to be underappreciated. But don’t let its unhip exterior (or its lack of a high year-end ranking) dissuade you from watching one of the best TV shows of 2014. If there’s too much good TV in the world for you to tune in because you’re out of entertaining alternatives, do it to deprive the unimaginative suits who said “no” of the quick cancellation they foresaw.

ivysaur12

Banned
I adore Rodrigo's pronunciation of "Hailey".

Takes a couple of episodes to settle in. I thought the pilot was a little weak. Episode 6+ is where it really finds itself.

Last few episodes were lovely.

Hai-lai is the greatest thing of the series. And the pilot feels like its from a different show.

JCX

It kind of felt like the first season of glee- silly, grounded, with an undercurrent of sadness.

what is the rating about?

Is it just language and shit or are there NAKED BREASTS

can I watch it at work with headphones or will I be fired immediately

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Girlfriend and I finished it today and loved it. We look forward to season 2

- Deadline: Amazon Tunes Up Second Season Order For ‘Mozart In The Jungle’
Amazon Original Series Mozart In The Jungle will return for a second season that’s set to premiere on Prime Instant Video early next year. Roman Coppola, Jason Schwartzman and Paul Weitz are executive producing the new season of the comedic drama that mixes sex, drugs and classical music. Stars Gael Garcia Bernal, Saffron Burows, Lola Kirke, Malcolm McDowell, Bernadette Peters and Peter Vack are all due to return.
HAILAY.
Awesome.

darkwing

just finished the season, amazing! best series to come out this year imo

although I'm partial to classical music lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom