• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone on PS3. Killzone: Shadow Fall. A quick comparison

BadAss2961

So i've noticed a number of GAFers and journalists saying they expected more from next-gen graphics, or even claiming that Shadow Fall could pass for a PS3 game. So here's some quick comparisons.

atacohrwr.jpg
1shows.jpg

kz3shothhsvg.jpg
2fooy0.jpg

kz3_mp_017c1cqh.jpg
60jpco.jpg

killzone2_screenshot_irpzi.jpg
5f8rki.jpg

killzone3ocs5e.jpg
7czr3n.jpg

killzone-2_1230047582wws4c.jpg
1shows.jpg
i4vzjdyzRJiW5.gif
iGPYV4oJ7wdoi.gif

kz22molx.gif
ibkLh2II7UZlqe.gif

Feel free to add more.

ElfArmy177

Yep, they are full of crap... If you cant tell that there is a HUGE difference, you are blind. That, or they are just trying to find any way they can to not believe it.

Mik2121

Compared like that, and with the increase in resolution, it's definitely quite the leap. Looking forward to what NaughtyDog can do there as well :)

Did Killzone 3 really look that good? Those seem like bullshots to me.

KZ3 is easily on of the best looking console games of all time.

I think it's very interesting to note how much of the environment is obscured by dust and fog in the gifs compared to the cityscape in the KZ:SF gifs.

SparkTR

I really don't think the new one looks all that impressive, but then again I'm not looking at it from a PS3 to PS4 leap. In that regard it does look great. Honestly I think they just waited too long for these consoles.

The KZ part of the presentation could have had a better reception if they put the lead character in a less-than-usual predicament. "Just arriving from somewhere then suddenly getting Pearl-Harbored" is the most typical game level scenario, and they always present that type of thing at these big conferences.

Visually, it definitely had its moments. It just needed to show something new. It could probably be something as silly as using the touchpad to configure your gun or call in an airstrike and manage it with the touchpad while running away from something...basically these big game demos can't do the whole "im on rails being instructed what to do" type of level that most past Call of Duty games have been doing.

Duffyside

Banned
Oh wow, those gif comparisons really underline the difference. As does the true HD video. I encourage people to watch it if all they've seen was the compressed stream.

Lingitiz

The jump from 720p to 1080p alone is huge. With the way bullshots and videos are rendered/compressed online it can be difficult to directly compare.

Zaventem

People always post developer given screenshots(which are either higher res or photoshopped) as a way to show how a console game look which is foolish.Go look at kz2/3 direct feed screens and that will give show you what the game truely looks like.

ElfArmy177

The KZ part of the presentation could have worked for the mainstream press if they put the lead character in a less-than-usual predicament. "Just arriving from somewhere then suddenly getting Pearl-Harbored" is the most typical game level scenario.

Visually, it definitely had its moments. It just needed to show something new. It could probably be something as silly as using the touchpad to configure your gun or call in an airstrike and manage it with the touchpad while running away from something...basically these big game demos can't do the whole "im on rails being instructed what to do" type of level that most past Call of Duty games have been doing.

Please dont do this. I just want to play my god damn game with a traditional controller... I dont want touch pad shit, I dont want to do voice commands, I dont want to have kinect/eye looking at me or my body language to guess what I want. I just want to play the damn game!

areal

What games are people playing if they aren't impressed by graphics of the new Killzone? Huge leap over the current generation and probably the best real-time graphics I've ever seen on any platform.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Whoever watches this thread from his iPhone can hardly see any difference. Of course in 1080p it will be another thing. But yeah, nothing like the SD>HD jump.

ElfArmy177

What games are people playing if they aren't impressed by graphics of the new Killzone? Huge leap over the current generation.

Agreed! I think its just the usual negativity. Same group who think popular movies/bands/people suck... its just something to hate or dislike. Everyone has an opinion, but some people are negative just for the sake of argument.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm just going through the 1080p video from youtube taking screenshots and there are just so many glorious moments!! It's hard to show with a shot how big the battle is as well, the environment is huge with so many models and bullets at 1080p! The motion blur looks so nice and smooth as well - been watching in slow motion hah. The lighting...incredible detail. It looks almost movie quality watching this frame by frame :p

Incoming shots - lazy PS4 only and super late sorry:

It's maddening how there are people that say things like "Because it's on rails it doesn't count". Those distant objects might not hold up if you approached them perhaps, but they're still being rendered people......

Moreover, remember how everyone always tried to dismiss Killzone 2/3 because they didn't feel like it matched the target render? Now that we have an actual game which far surpasses that target render we all of a sudden have a new appreciation for the PS3 games.

Blind people are blind. They can't see. So it is of no use trying to show them. Especially when you use the wrong screens.
Too small and a lot of them are touched up screens/ press shots.

ElfArmy177

exactly

I'm on my smartphone and it's difficult to tell. I don't count pixels so it doesn't help either.

Anything looks great on a small screen. Look at them again on your PC screen and the difference will blow your mind. Hell, just look at the texture work and additional polygon count...

TEH-CJ

Banned
Guys just a question

sorry its off topic. but when I scroll down with a thread with lots of pictures and gifs the frame rate of my browser goes to shit

anyone know what might cause that?

whitehawk

Banned
Most noticeable difference to me is the size and draw distance of environments. The scale is much bigger on the PS4. In the GIFs posted, there isn't much going on around the characters in KZ3. I'm excited.

demolitio

Of course it's not as big as the SD to HD leap, but anyone saying that it could pass as a PS3 game is lying to themselves to make sure they're disappointed (or to defend whatever side they're on in the pointless console war) or really don't understand the subtle differences that make a big difference in the overall scheme of things. Just the debris alone made a huge difference that many people apparently won't notice.

Some of those same people have probably defended other launch games at some point telling people not to expect something to blow you away so close to launch yet they're now somehow disappointed.

On another note, wasn't this developed with the 4GB target in mind like someone said in the other thread?

To me, the difference is there if you want to see it and I know that it's only going to get better in time. That's the best part about gaming as developers learn more and more tricks to use on a specific console.

ypo

I don't know. I see some helmets and guns. Almost indistinguishable from the original Killzone.

Replicant

Killzone always has that rather flat-ish polygon look to it IMO. The background building also tend to look a bit too cardboard-looking and a bit too dirty/smear-ish for my liking. Definitely not as nice as Uncharted.

It's not until this PS4 trailer that I'm actually impressed by the render model of both the characters and the building. Everything looks clear and the texture actually looks nicely rendered instead of one blurry mess.

SparkTR

What games are people playing if they aren't impressed by graphics of the new Killzone? Huge leap over the current generation.

I don't think people are denying that it's an improvement over the current generation (it is), but I've watched the footage in HD (and on Fallon) and, disregarding things like art style and setting, I think Crysis 3 looks better. That put a damper on the reveal for me personally.

Coolwhip

Banned
Scrolling by the screenshots on my phone they look the same generation to me. Both look good (I prefer the artstyle of old KZ though)

So i've noticed a number of GAFers and journalists saying they expected more from next-gen graphics, or even claiming that Shadow Fall could pass for a PS3 game. So here's some quick comparisons.

Now this is how you do a comparison.

Scrolling by the screenshots on my phone they look the same generation to me. Both look good (I prefer the artstyle of old KZ though)

try viewing it on a bigger screen. lol look at the draw distance, the reflections, the water falls, the amount of buildings, the freaking lights everywhere, the amount of ships in the air. are you people serious?

ElfArmy177

Im curious about what Dennis thinks of Killzone on Ps4. He plays Crysis on highest settings with crazy detail. To be honest, if Dennis cant tell a difference, or think it looks like crap, then maybe its MY eyes that are broken or maybe Im just wearing rose colored glasses. However, if someone who actually plays the latest games on max detail on a powerful PC rig says it looks crazy good (like myself also)... then you are all liars and just being negative or trolling others.

Too bad I cant summon him... :D

Mifune

Mehmber
Killzone always has that rather flat-ish polygon look to it IMO. The background building also tend to look a bit too cardboard-looking and a bit too dirty/smear-ish for my liking. Definitely not as nice as Uncharted.

It's not until this PS4 trailer that I'm actually impressed by the render model of both the characters and the building. Everything looks clear and the texture actually looks nicely rendered instead of one blurry mess.

Great point. I've always found that the environments in the Killzone games look like geometry. Now for the first time they look like environments.

Im curious about what Dennis thinks of Killzone on Ps4. He plays Crysis on highest settings with crazy detail. To be honest, if Dennis cant tell a difference, or think it looks like crap, then maybe its MY eyes that are broken or maybe Im just wearing rose colored glasses. However, if someone who actually plays the latest games on max detail on a powerful PC rig says it looks crazy good (like myself also)... then you are all liars and just being negative or trolling others.

Too bad I cant summon him... :D

Looks insane

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=47993755&postcount=2

UrbanRats

The new Killzone is a great leap over the old one.
I wasn't blew away by it just because i've spent most of my gaming time on PC, in the last 2 years or so.
If you compare it to Crysis 3 maxed out on PC, it looks about the same, so i guess a lot of people are thinking: whatever i saw on the internet up until today = this gen.
Which takes into consideration things much more powerful than a ps3.

Also i blame promotional bullshots material and E3 demos ran on high end PCs.

Also yes, it looks as good as it gets today.

Margalis

Banned

Which column is which?

Edit: The fact that this is even an argument means the jump isn't big. It should be entirely self-evident.*

* = This is tried and true Wii U thread logic, don't bother refuting it!

JoeInky

I find it hilarious that people think it looks like a PS3 game, don't see what's so wrong with expecting more from next gen though.

UrbanRats

Which column is which?

Edit: The fact that this is even an argument means the jump isn't big. It should be entirely self-evident.*

* = This is tried and true Wii U thread logic, don't bother refuting it!

It means people have been poisoned by bullshit promotional material or they've been playing on PC a lot and don't remember how bad stuff looks on ps3 nowadays.

Top Bottom