• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Mass Effect 3: Reckoning DLC for multiplayer

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Figured it was worth a thread, for the multiplayer that keeps on giving. For awhile now the regular leaky sources have been gossiping about another major DLC pack for multiplayer, a fifth titled "Reckoning". The leaks have implied new weapons and maybe a new mode, and today's patch made the image a little clearer. BioWare updated Mass Effect 3 to v1.05, folk data mined the bits and pieces, and discovered some references to potentially new content.

Based on the leaks, the following is possible (though may not be entirely accurate).
- Several weapons from single player DLC packs added to the multiplayer equipment pool, including the Venom Shotgun, Chakram Launcher, Adas Rifle, and Executioner Pistol. Multiplayer challenges mined from the patch imply this.
- Ultra light materials to decrease weight for sniper rifles, assault rifles, and shotguns.
- A new co-op multiplayer mode, possibly titled Zombies Act 1 and Act 2. Data mining has revealed something implying the mode "pulls your paragon/renagade values, reputation points and updates your plot progress from the single player campaign", but they might be missreading it.
- Based on previous rumours, the three Earth maps added in the Earth expansion pack will be updated with Hazard variations.

Regardless of what's in it, a new multiplayer pack is pretty much guaranteed, unless the reliable leaks have become unreliable. As said, this will be the fifth (I assume) free pack expanding the multiplayer. Current tally:

At launch:
6 maps
3 enemy factions (Reapers, Cerberus, Geth)
18 playable classes (plus gender option for humans) across 7 species
3 objectives
34 weapons
24 attachments
14 consumable equipment bonuses, each up to level 5
3 difficulty levels (Bronze, Silver, Gold)

Added via free updates:
7 maps, and "hazard" variations of the original 6
1 enemy faction (Collectors), and 2 units added to existing factions (Dragoon for Cerberus, Bomber for Geth)
34 playable classes (more coming) across 4 species and variations of existing species (Turian havoc, Quarian gender variation, the N7 human classes, etc)
2 objectives
20 weapons
12 attachments
7 consumable equipment bonuses, each up to level 5
1 difficulty level (Platinum)
New "Gear" system, 34 non-consumable upgrades that can be applied to characters, each with 5 levels of upgrade
New "Challenge" system which tracks game data to unlock multiplayer profile banners

Ein Bear

The support the ME3 multiplayer has received has been outstanding. I know people knock free-to-play/microtransactions, but it's worked amazingly well here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah. And I totally expect this to be the last, culminating in one year of free multiplayer DLC support. It's odd that an arguably throwaway mode that was never going to be the appeal of a single player focused title turned out to have better developer support than bigger, multiplayer centric games.

I still think they should go F2P, but maybe it's a bit late for that with new consoles on the horizon.

kuYuri

The support has been nothing short of amazing in terms of added content. Still play it here and there, especially during weekend events.

Toa TAK

Banned
This is great news for the multiplayer folks. This is the kind of support I would love to see in other games as well. Looks like I'll be dusting off my copy of ME3 soon.

EDarkness

I still play this pretty often on the PC. Though, I'll admit that it sometimes takes a long time to get games now, but it's still good to whip out my M-99 Saber and kick some ass. The sad thing is as much as I have played there is still so much stuff I haven't gotten. The stupid RNG sucks something fierce. My favorite gun has been stuck at level 3 for months now. It's sad.

But I'm sure I'll still be playing as long as the game is up, though not as much as I used to.

Omega

Banned
new MP mode sounds like the Husk mode someone modded early in release.

sounds good, but I got burnt out on this mp. Loved it and put over 1000 hours into it, but I just can't play it anymore

Very curious to see what the new mode is. The support for the multiplayer really has been outstanding.

edit: didn't the earth expansion only have 3 maps?

Omega

Banned
Very curious to see what the new mode is. The support for the multiplayer really has been outstanding.

edit: didn't the earth expansion only have 3 maps?

yeah I think just London, Rio, Vancouver. It definitely wasn't 6 I know that for sure.

EatChildren

Yeah, it did. My bad.

EatChildren

UE3 works on next-gen platforms so there's not much stopping them there and definitely nothing stopping them on PC.

Yeah, that's true. I guess I'm just of the belief that they wouldn't bother porting across a current gen multiplayer to next gen. Though I figure the market penetration of the PS3/360 still makes a port valuable, and it's good to keep the series in mind for new generation adopters. And as you said, there's no limit with PC.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
EA is too stupid and bureaucratic to see such good opportunities and use them until other market participants do it first.

Online pass is their only innovation in bussiness and I don't think it converted that much people.

Omega

Banned
EA is too stupid and bureaucratic to see such good opportunities and use them until other market participants do it first.

Online pass is their only innovation in bussiness and I don't think it converted that much people.

Hopefully they're not stupid to see this.

This is as barebones a multiplayer as you can possibly get and it's still a pretty popular game that obviously makes them money because they still support it.

With some improvements and at least another two game modes for some variety, this MP would be so much better. Make it so getting the best weapons isn't such a grind. You could put 200 hours into this game and still not unlock some of the best weapons in the game.

That was probably the most annoying part of the game, which also lead to the downfall of the game.

def sim

I still have ME3 installed on my PC because of this multiplayer. I hope they expand on it in a big way on the next installment because it's probably my favorite co-op shooter in a long time.

I think the free to play idea makes a huge amount of sense, and doing alongside (or near to) the final dlc release would be the perfect time to give the game one last shot in the arm, population wise. The biggest barrier is probably that they're still selling online passes for the full game, specifically charging for the mode, in essence. It would be a tough pill to swallow seeing it go free after paying to activate it on a used copy of the full game.

Darklord

Banned
I'd play more ME3 multiplayer is it's connections didn't suck so badly. Honestly, I think I'm connected to the furthest games away from me. I've never experienced lag and hitch ups that bad aside of an MMO launch.

Dr Dogg

It does seam like some weird social experiment but kudos to the constant stream of updates. Despite all the single player backlash I'm amazed they have bothered to keep up the support let alone put out some really good packs and for free as well. Bonkers writing or not, ME is always endearing to me but good to see that it's being kept alive by a great mp component.

ME3 multiplayer has been great, so more content is always welcome. A couple of people on my friends list bought ME3 for the multiplayer and never touched the singleplayer campaign.

Top Bottom