• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Catfish, from the makers of Catfish. Where people get Catfished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched 1 episode.

Freaking horrible. Much of it obviously faked. The person they "surprised" in typical MTV reality fashion broke character only a few seconds in. (like those awful "after shows" filmed after seasons where the Real World/Jersey Shore cast pretends its filmed mid season.)

Hard to even tell if any of it is real. But I have no doubt everyone involved knows the "secret" before filming.

And thd host and his buddy are... strange. The way they sit there filming with a Canon PowerShot back and forth is awkward.

0/10

- lots of fake crap
- 5 minutes of material stretched to an hour
- not entertaining in a "laugh at the stupidity" way partly because it seems so fake

Slayven

I watched 1 episode.

Freaking horrible. Much of it obviously faked. The person they "surprised" in typical MTV reality fashion broke character only a few seconds in. (like those awful "after shows" filmed after seasons where the Real World/Jersey Shore cast pretends its filmed mid season.)

Hard to even tell if any of it is real. But I have no doubt everyone involved knows the "secret" before filming.

And thd host and his buddy are... strange. The way they sit there filming with a Canon PowerShot back and forth is awkward.

0/10

- lots of fake crap
- 5 minutes of material stretched to an hour
- not entertaining in a "laugh at the stupidity" way partly because it seems so fake

I know it was hard man, but I applaud your endurance.

I'd probably give it a go if it was all of the couples in the trailer in one episode, but focusing on one couple? As someone said, 5 minutes of already dubious material stretched over half an hour. No thanks.

pirata

The movie Catfish is pretty good. I saw it with Evilore when he came to Austin. We totally didn't make out in the dark theater or anything.

What was that movie from probably 9 or 10 years ago about like a college kid and this predatory girl and it was about him swimming and had something to do with computers or passwords or something. Thought it was called Catfish and what I thought this was when I entered it, but now I can't find anything about this movie, probably as my search terms are really vague.

Slayven

What was that movie from probably 9 or 10 years ago about like a college kid and this predatory girl and it was about him swimming and had something to do with computers or passwords or something. Thought it was called Catfish and what I thought this was when I entered it, but now I can't find anything about this movie, probably as my search terms are really vague.
Swimfan. Sad I know that off the top of my head.

Swim Fan?

As someone said, 5 minutes of already dubious material stretched over half an hour. No thanks.

Amazingly enough it's a 1 hour program.

We watched about 7-8 minutes, then planned to switch back 15-20 minutes later to see the end.

It was hilarious because 27 minutes into the show they were preparing to go confront the "boyfriend."

They still managed to stretch that to 33 more minutes (commercials of course.)

border

The movie Catfish seemed most likely fake.

As an MTV show? I'd imagine it's insanely fake. They would probably write a script except for the fact that they'd have to pay someone money to do it.

MIMIC

Banned
I saw the first episode. It was entertaining, but I couldn't shake the feeling that "Mr. Mysterious" was in on the whole thing.

I saw the first episode. It was entertaining, but I couldn't shake the feeling that "Mr. Mysterious" was in on the whole thing.
Was it the one with the chick pretending to be a dude?

She outright admitted to it. She said the words "That's why we are doing this" about 30 seconds after coming outside.

MIMIC

Banned
Watched another episode.....

Sooooo.....is ANYONE who they claim they are? lol Also, these confrontations are really awkward (real or not).

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Before I read any of this thread, should I watch the documentary before watching this show? I've been meaning to watch the documentary and I don't want to have it spoiled.

akira28

I dunno about a documentary, but probably 90% of us have been catfished, or deceived by someone who blah blah blarg why is this even a thing? Why does it even have this horrible name?

Enco

Before I read any of this thread, should I watch the documentary before watching this show? I've been meaning to watch the documentary and I don't want to have it spoiled.
Meh. It's weird and feels kinda fake.

The only part that leads me to feel that it might be real is the fact that they used
mentally disabled people
. Would feel morally wrong if fake.

MIMIC

Banned

I haven't seen the doc yet but I don't think this would be the case. Each episode is independent of the next....and from my understanding (and recollection of the intro), each episode is basically a condensed version of the documentary.

Izick

This is so strange...how or where do these people meet? I've never understood how people can get attached and just talk to people they've never met before in person. It just doesn't compute with me.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
This is so strange...how or where do these people meet? I've never understood how people can get attached and just talk to people they've never met before in person. It just doesn't compute with me.

You need a firmware update

The Infatuation Patch is what you need

It's 3.1^1.0.7
Flip the #'s, awww LOVE

Angry Fork

I thought catfish was interesting. I was really into the first half of the movie, but the sharp turn into something completely different disappointed me. I thought the 2nd half was touching and sad but by that point I wanted to see something that followed the thriller/creepy tone of the first half rather than a documentary on depressed people.

Izick

You need a firmware update

The Infatuation Patch is what you need

It's 3.1^1.0.7
Flip the #'s, awww LOVE

Yeah, I must be missing a codec or something. I don't understand how people who never meet face to face could "love" each other.

Also, the show is kind of sad...the second episode kind of shows how vain most of these people are. They "fall in love" with the picture, not the person. She wanted a male model, not a cool dude that might be a bit overweight.

DominoKid

so i've only seen it for like 20 mins, but it seems like it's become quite the phenomenon.
every new episode absolutely dominates twitter talk.

Horribly fake show. It's actually an interesting premise that I wouldn't trust any reality TV producer to handle without fucking up.

gazele

Banned
Watched another episode.....

Sooooo.....is ANYONE who they claim they are? lol Also, these confrontations are really awkward (real or not).

I think in one of the episodes the guy is actually real, possibly lying a bit about how overweight he was, but its not like he was pretending to be a model or something.

The show is kinda interesting, mostly (if any of it is true) to see how these people can be so in love without ever even skyping.

I liked the documentary too, although I did know the twist going into it

sangreal

I don't mind the show, but I feel it is ridiculously fake (as is the movie) and mostly feels like a big ad for Google image search

apesh1t

Banned
Lots of big women and average looking guys. That basically describes every single internet date I've ever been on.

Jenov

Why are people so sure it's faked? I watched a few eps, was interesting, and certainly plausible. The host seemed genuine enough too. /shrug

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Anyone else watching tonight? This is wild

I don't know why this post made me laugh out loud, but it did.

I've watched a couple episodes online with my friend. We skip around a LOT because they sit there and repeat mostly the same things over and over and over again. I feel like the only reason this was greenlit was because FriendZone did so well. Now that's a show I can get behind.

Smellycat

Meh. It's weird and feels kinda fake.

The only part that leads me to feel that it might be real is the fact that they used
mentally disabled people
. Would feel morally wrong if fake.

Oh, this is based on that "controversial" movie that came out a couple of years ago?

Toa TAK

Banned
I watch the show regularly. These people are dumb. But whether or not if it's fake doesn't matter to me. What's interesting is how people are going about using social media sites like this and the consequences of using it "incorrectly". We always hear about it, but the program shows us what happens. So, for me, it's cool that way. That and I watched the original movie and I liked it.

MIMIC

Banned
This stuff is just so awkward :S

"I can't wait to meet this girl Amanda! Even if it's not her, I hope she is just a cool chick"
*black guy comes out*

Whether aspects of the stories are real or not, the show itself obviously features entirely faked scenarios.

It's about 5 minutes of material stretched into 30 minutes. Also, when they show up to confront the person, it's just blatantly obvious that it's rehearsed. One episode outright revealed it.. they were trying to pretend that the host had never met or spoken with the person being outed.. but they let it slip that they had during the fake scene they shot.

Basically:

- Interesting premise
- Terrible TV SHOW

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
This stuff is just so awkward :S

"I can't wait to meet this girl Amanda! Even if it's not her, I hope she is just a cool chick"
*black guy comes out*

That one was hilarious! Did you see the one where girl1 falls for Internet dude and the dude turns out to be a girl getting revenge on girl 1 for messing with her BF! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom