• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Office: Final Season |OT| It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
officeseason9.png

The ninth and final season of "The Office" returns on September 20th @ 9:00pm (Eastern) on the following networks:

USA: NBC
Canada: Global

Rumour has it the return of Michael Scott is penned for the later half of the season, along with returning stints by Holly, Jan, obviously David Wallace, and the reveal of who the camera crew is and why they've been following the cast around for nine years.

It's the final season, it's going to be hard to let it go.
That's what she said.

EPISODE GUIDE:

There will be 24 half-hour episodes this season, with a likely hourlong series finale.

SEPTEMBER 20th:
9x01 "New Guys" said:
Season 9 premiere.
The office begins its final season. Jim and Dwight are thrown off balance by the arrival of two young employees (Clark Duke and Jake Lacy) that the others dub “the new Jim” and “Dwight, Jr.” Andy comes back from Outward Bound leadership training with a desire for vengeance on Nellie (Catherine Tate). Will Oscar adopt Angela’s cat? Kevin saves a turtle.

SEPTEMBER 27th:
9x02 "Roy's Wedding" said:
Pam and Jim go to Roy’s wedding — David Denman guest stars. The wedding toast of Pam’s ex-fiance Roy causes Pam and Jim to examine their relationship for buried secrets. Dwight stubbornly protests Nellie’s mandatory charity initiative by supporting the Taliban and agreeing to live by their severe laws. Clark hits on Erin by dangling a fake newscaster job; Andy also takes the bait.

OCTOBER 4th:
9x03 "Andy's Ancestry" said:
Andy learns he is related to Michelle Obama — Darryl has a hard time in his new role as assistant regional manager when Andy flaunts his bloodlines. Dwight teaches Erin the Dothraki language to impress her boyfriend’s educated family. Nellie tries to convince Pam that Jim is having an affair, and Jim reveals his secret in the warehouse.

OCTOBER 18th:
9x04 "Work Bus" said:
The office hits the road — when Jim convinces Dwight that the building is unsafe; Dwight rents a bus and sets up the office inside. Nellie asks for Andy’s help in adopting a baby. Meanwhile, Jim tries to make Pam happy with some pie. Directed by ‘Breaking Bad’ star Bryan Cranston.

OCTOBER 25th:
9x05 "Here Comes Treble" said:
Andy deals with a cappella drama — it’s Halloween in the office and Andy invites his college a cappella group to perform, which leads to a confrontation with his frenemy Broccoli Rob (guest star Stephen Colbert). Meanwhile, Dwight finds evidence that a madman is loose in the office and tries to track him down, and the first meeting of Jim’s new job causes a fight with Pam.

NOVEMBER 8th:
9x06 "The Boat" said:
Andy is forced to step up when his family comes under hard times — Andy must man up when his dad blows all the family money. When Dwight is interviewed on local radio, Jim and the office torture him with bizarre call-ins. Meanwhile, Kevin discovers a secret about Oscar, and struggles to keep it, while Oscar’s fate hangs in the balance.

NOVEMBER 15th:
9x08 "The Whale" said:
Dwight faces his greatest professional handicap: selling to women — when Dwight must sell to a woman at the lucrative Scranton White Pages, Pam and the ladies teach him how to interact with female clients. Angela suspects the Senator is cheating on her; she and Oscar spy on him at his yoga class. Meanwhile, Andy skypes in from his boat, and Toby convinces several guys in the office to grow mustaches in honor of “Movember.”

NOVEMBER 22nd:
9x09 "The Target" said:
Angela discovers the truth — Angela discovers her husband’s affair with Oscar and goes to Dwight for help. Jim needs a favor from Stanley and Phyllis who milk it for all it’s worth. Pam begins painting her mural in the warehouse but gets distracted by Pete who is building a tower of complaint cards.

JANUARY 10th:
9x10 "Lice" said:
The office is infested with lice — Pam accidentally brings lice into the office and lets Meredith take the fall, while Dwight vows to destroy the parasites. Meanwhile, Jim has a fantastic day in Philly wooing a potential business associate.

JANUARY 17th:
9x11 "Suit Warehouse" said:
Dwight and Clark pose as father and son to make a sale — Clark returns from his sex jaunt with Jan and gifts the office with a new espresso maker, which everyone abuses. Dwight takes him to sell a father – son suit warehouse. Meanwhile, Darryl interviews at Jim’s company and Pam comes for a surprise visit.

JANUARY 24th:
9x12 "Customer Loyalty" said:
Relationships are tested — Dwight tries to prevent Darryl’s move to Athlead. Jim is forced to miss Cece’s first recital when a big investor exits his new company, to Pam’s intense disappointment. Nellie exposes Pete and Erin. And we start to see behind the scenes of the documentary.

JANUARY 31st:
9x13 "Junior Salesman" said:
Dwight brings back old friends — David Wallace tasks Dwight with finding a new part time salesman to fill in for Jim. Dwight assembles a super-team of his cronies, starting with Mose. Pam tries to figure out who will be her new desk mate. Erin tries to find her birth parents with Pete’s help.

JANUARY 31st:
9x14 "Vandalism" said:
Pam’s warehouse mural is defaced — when Pam asks the office to help her track down the vandal who defaced her mural, Dwight and Nellie spring to action. Darryl has difficulty dealing with the cleanliness habits of Jim in their shared Philly apartment. Meanwhile, Angela grudgingly allows Oscar and Kevin to attend her son’s first birthday party.

FEBRUARY 7th:
9x15 "Couple's Discount" said:
The Office pairs off into pretend couples to take advantage of a Valentine’s Day discount at a local mini-mall. Erin assures Pete she will break up with Andy when he returns, but he has good reason to doubt her. Jim and Pam share a meal with Brian, the documentary’s sound man.

FEBRUARY 14th:
9x16 "Moving On" said:
Pam interviews for a job in Philadelphia with a manager who gives her deja-vu. Dwight brings Angela with him on a mission to clean his elderly Aunt Shirley. Andy returns from his long boat voyage.

FEBRUARY 21st:
9x17 "The Farm" said:
Failed backdoor pilot, with new material to make it fit in the current season.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If it's really the end then I'll stick with it for this last season... There were some good episodes last season, but yeah, this show isn't as good as it used to be and I'd love for some of the universe to finally be exposed.

when did the episode descriptors for this show start to sound like a really bad kids saturday morning cartoon show? jeez.

Didn't bother watching all of last season. Can't stand Catherine Tate but I'll give it a go, it gave me a couple of my favorite seasons of television.

Thomper

I jumped out for season 8, but the fact that Greg Daniels has returned as showrunner after mostly focusing on Parks & Rec for the past few years means I'll give it another shot. He seems to know how he wants the show to wrap up, and I trust him better than the showrunner we've had the past few years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cold open on Dunder Mifflin.

Andy has just discovered "Charlie goes to the dentist" and goes around trying to bite peoples fingers. Jim and Pam have convinced Dwight that Creed is stealing his beets. Meredith's son has been expelled from school.

All of a sudden, that totally random guy that Steve Carell fired in, like, the first or second season walks in the building and shoots everyone

*curtains down*

THE SERIES FINALE WE DESERVE

Murrah

Banned
Cold open on Dunder Mifflin.

Andy has just discovered "Charlie goes to the dentist" and goes around trying to bite peoples fingers. Jim and Pam have convinced Dwight that Creed is stealing his beets. Meredith's son has been expelled from school.

All of a sudden, that totally random guy that Steve Carell fired in, like, the first or second season walks in the building and shoots everyone

*curtains down*

THE SERIES FINALE WE DESERVE

Nobody puts Devon in the corner

Rapstah

Adressing who the camera crew is? Season 8 seemed to be written without any thought to the fact that there's supposed to be an in-universe camera crew, but then I stopped watching after that company party at James Spader's house where it was implied that Jim drove drunk.

Messi

Adressing who the camera crew is? Season 8 seemed to be written without any thought to the fact that there's supposed to be an in-universe camera crew, but then I stopped watching after that company party at James Spader's house where it was implied that Jim drove drunk.

Thats where you drew the line? :p

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Those synopses sound pretty bad, but I'll be watching regardless. Last season's highs were, surprisingly, better than anything from S6/7, but the lows were... low. Now, with the show finally ending, even if it falls on its face comedy-wise, it might at least have interesting storylines for the first time in years. I wouldn't be surprised if the series ends with Michael and Holly returning to Scranton and Dunder Mifflin. If Carell is game to return for a couple of episodes, I can see them going this route.

Also, I posted this a couple of weeks ago in another Office thread, but for the hell of it, Rainn Wilson posted this on his Facebook regarding The Farm:

Here's the deal with 'The Farm' as there have been so many questions of late. We are shooting an episode of the Office entitled The Farm. It introduces Schrutes we've never met before- Dwight's sister Fannie and her son Cameron who've been in Boston for 10 years, brother Jeb, a pot farmer, and (nazi curious) Uncle Heinrich. Also there's Mose's brother Zeke.

(note: we've assembled an AMAZING c
ast and I'm so thrilled to be working with them! I know that sounds cliche but it's TRUE!)

This episode will be done soon and then NBC will decide if they want "The Farm" to be a series or not. Either way the episode will air as an Office episode in the winter sometime.

If we shoot more, they would start airing in the winter/spring probably.

The number of Office eps I do this last season is really dependent on what happens with The Farm. Definitely 12 or 13 and maybe more.

Wish us luck. See you at Schrute Farms!

Rainn

Kazerei

Banned
Nellie is the worst character in the entire series. And I don't like any of the characters the Sabre storyline introduced.

I've really grown to like Andy though. His personality is different from Michael Scott, but he fits the role of the bumbling manager just as well. It's too bad alot of people have stopped watching, 'cause S8 was better than the previous two.

Mr. Fix

...*subscribes*

It seems like they're still going on with building tension between Jim and Pam (because that's where the money was at). I just hope they do the finale justice. Also fuck Nellie.

The joke was that Jim was so intent on leaving that he drove over some bushes in his haste to be out of there. It wasn't a joke about drunk driving.

Rapstah

The joke was that Jim was so intent on leaving that he drove over some bushes in his haste to be out of there. It wasn't a joke about drunk driving.

Honestly, between that episode and the Christmas one, can you blame me for not really absorbing the spirit of the whole situation? I didn't stop watching because it offended me, I stopped watching because interesting things stopped happening.

I can't wait...... for this show to be over. Only 22 more episodes to suffer through, but I've come this far so there's no stopping now.

I'll definitely be watching Glee first though.

B.K.

I guess I'll try to watch this season. I only watched six or seven episodes last season. I'm glad this is finally going to be the last season.

scoobs

Writer from the first 4 or 5 seasons is back, hopefully making this a more bearable season than the last. Will DEFINITELY watch "The Farm" if it ever actually happens. Hope to god its better than the disaster that was "Joey."

Jarnet87

Agreed Nellie is awful. I've been aboard for 8 years, may as well finish it lol. Even when Michael was still there in season 6 or 7 I thought it was going down hill, when he left it was completely over. Hope he comes back at least for an episode or two to finish in style.

I think the best time to have ended it was when Michael owned Charles Minor and got back his job, or when Sabre came in to buy the company. That recap episode would have been a perfect ending IMO.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Stephen Colbert
(not really a spoiler, as it's a cameo and not a returning character, but just in case... don't wanna ruffle any feathers) will be playing Andy's aforementioned college buddy "Broccoli Rob" in the Halloween episode. Awesome.

DrEvil

Its already different. The docu guys starting to be present.. although it breaks the illusion a bit that we're seeing the end edited result and not filming in progress.

Quick

Banned
I asked for an OT in one of the Office threads, and go figure it's been around all this time.

Missed the first 15 minutes, but I'll catch it again later. I've been invested in this show for ages, might as well see it to the end.

Just saw Nellie get pushed off the line by Andy, she seems more reserved.

ChopstickNinja

Neo Member
I find the plot with Jim
and new opportunities, very satisfying. Writers will probably add in a part with Pam finding a graphic design job or something.
. Feels like it will lead to a nice bit of closure.

Edited in case of spoiler.

DrEvil

I find the plot with Jim and new opportunities, very satisfying. Feels like its gonna lead to a nice bit of closure. Writers will probably add in a part with Pam finding a graphic design job or something.

She'll probably end up designing the website or something for Jim's venture.

DrEvil

So, Stephen Colbert will be guest starring in the halloween episode of the Office, as "Broccoli Rob", one of Andy's former 'here comes treble' bandmates.. should be pretty fantastic.

vatstep

So, Stephen Colbert will be guest starring in the halloween episode of the Office, as "Broccoli Rob", one of Andy's former 'here comes treble' bandmates.. should be pretty fantastic.
;)

I thought it was a pretty good episode. Definitely the best premiere in a while. I only got a couple of chuckles out of it (and the turtle scenes were highly disturbing), but I at least cared about what was going on with some of the characters for the first time in a while.

Jarnet87

I suppose it's about time they take that angle with Jim. i mean they mentioned it in what season 3 or 4 and never brought it up again.

big ander

Making Andy randomly more confident is a little too convenient but whatever. If it'll at least change up his character (which was getting super stale and muddy fast), I'm for it.
Finally this Jim plot is happening. Can't wait to see him leave.
Clark Gregg was kinda funny. Don't really see how he'll fit into all this because just being a rival for Dwight doesn't feel like enough to me, but who knows.
Creed won an episode again.
The way they got rid of Novak and Kaling was awkward, but those two are moving onto better things and neither of their characters was doing anything worthwhile so I'm glad to see them go to Mindy.
Kevin's not really funny.
Oscar having an affair with Angela's husband isn't really funny either.
Erin was looking GREAT.

Bring on the end of the show!

markot

Banned
Face facts, ANDY ruined the show.

I blame the hangover and the need to make him and Darryl more prominant in the show.

Andy and Erin are awful too. So is Darryl and warehouse chick.

Just rewatching the classic seasons, they are so different to the last 2 especially.

The characters changed too much, even the smaller ones who work in the office.

I kind of liked the episode and I'm interested to see the direction they are going.

That cold open with Pam and Jim somehow reminded me of the UK version and how well that series ended. I hope they can atleast match it even though there is a spinoff.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Pam's legs were the best part of the show. And I guess Dwight and the printer-bike.

To quote a Red Letter Media review, it's like they've just taken all the characters and ELECTRIFIED them until they're mostly all just uninteresting caricatures of what they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom