• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boardwalk Empire - Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
QUDwK.jpg

Season 3 of Boardwalk Empire premieres on Sunday, September 16th on HBO. After a gorgeously produced but deliberate first season set up the world of Boardwalk Empire, Season 2 took off and delivered a highly entertaining narrative about prohibition-era Atlantic City. The show boasts a talented writing team, a great ensemble cast, and a production crew/budget that puts together one of the better looking shows on TV. This is a world with action and consequences, and everything is lined up for a tremendous third season.
Wikipedia said:
Boardwalk Empire is a period drama focusing on Enoch "Nucky" Thompson (based on the historical Enoch L. Johnson), a political figure who rose to prominence and controlled Atlantic City, New Jersey during the Prohibition period of the 1920s and 1930s. Nucky interacts with several historical figures in both his personal and political life, including mobsters, politicians, government agents, and the common folk who look up to him. The federal government also takes an interest in the bootlegging and other illegal activities in the area, sending agents to investigate possible mob connections but also looking at Nucky's lifestyle – expensive and lavish for a county political figure.
Links:
General sources:
- HBO Main Page
- IMDB
- Wikipedia
- Metacritic review page

Interviews and Articles:
- Vice Magazine interview with Terence Winter: It's Probably Not Going To Be Ok
- HBO Interview: Steve Buscemi on Religion, Staying Clueless and Nucky's Decision-Making Skills
- A long Deadline.com Q&A With ‘Boardwalk Empire’ Creator Terence Winter
- THR: 'Boardwalk Empire' Boss on the Awkward Email That Killed Off Michael Pitt
- Onion A|V Club's "The Walkthrough": Boardwalk Empire creator Terence Winter on raising the stakes in season two (Part 1 of 4)
- Onion A|V Club's "The Walkthrough": Boardwalk Empire showrunner Terence Winter dissects the show’s second season (Part 2 of 4)
- Onion A|V Club's "The Walkthrough": Boardwalk Empire showrunner Terence Winter dissects the show’s second season (Part 3 of 4)
- Onion A|V Club's "The Walkthrough": Boardwalk Empire showrunner Terence Winter dissects the show’s second season (Part 4 of 4)

xTPc9.jpg

Videos:
HBO Videos:
- Teaser #1
- Teaser #2
- Trailer #1 (youtube) *no spoilers*
- Trailer #2 (youtube) *spoilers*
- Trailer #3 (youtube) *spoilers*
- Boardwalk Empire Season 3: Invitation to the Set (youtube) *spoilers*
- Distilling Season 2 (HBO video player, 15 minute recap of S2)
- Boardwalk Empire: Season 1 & 2 - In Brief (5 minute youtube recap of the first two seasons)

S2 DVD/blu-ray features:
- The Money Decade (youtube)
- Characters (youtube)
- Angela (youtube)
- Margaret (youtube)
- Scripts (youtube)

Other:
- Boardwalk Empire VFX Breakdowns of Season 2 (youtube)
- Boardwalk Empire VFX Breakdowns of Season 1 (vimeo)
- Recorded ustream video of the Sepinwall moderated Emmy panel (It's about an hour and ten minutes long.)
- Boardwalk Empire State of Mind (Agent Sebso rapping, youtube)

Main cast:
  • Steve Buscemi as Enoch "Nucky" Thompson
  • Kelly Macdonald as Margaret Schroeder
  • Michael Shannon as Nelson Van Alden
  • Shea Whigham as Elias "Eli" Thompson
  • Michael Stuhlbarg as Arnold Rothstein
  • Stephen Graham as Al Capone
  • Vincent Piazza as Charles "Lucky" Luciano
  • Michael Kenneth Williams as Albert "Chalky" White
  • Anthony Laciura as Eddie Kessler
  • Paul Sparks as Mieczyslaw "Mickey Doyle" Kuzik
  • Jack Huston as Richard Harrow
  • Gretchen Mol as Gillian Darmody
  • Bobby Cannavale as Gyp Rosetti
Recurring characters:
  • Greg Antonacci as Johnny Torrio
  • Anatol Yusef as Meyer Lansky
  • Michael Zegen as Bugsy Siegel
  • Charlie Cox as Owen Slater
  • Erik LaRay Harvey as Dunn Purnsley
  • Heather Lind as Katy
  • William Forsythe as Manny Horvitz
  • Nick Sandow as Waxey Gordon
  • Stephen Root as Gaston Means
New Characters for S3:
Bobby Cannavale has joined the cast of the mob drama as a series regular. He will play
Gyp Rosetti, a charming but ruthless gangster who challenges Nucky (Steve Buscemi).
The cast of Boardwalk Empire, created by Terence Winter and executive produced by Winter, Martin Scorsese, Tim Van Patten, Mark Wahlberg and Stephen Levinson, is a regular short following the demise of Michael Pitt’s character in the second season finale. The series repeated as a double SAG Award winner this past weekend in the best drama ensemble and best actor (Buscemi) categories. Cannavale, Emmy-winner for his recurring role on Will & Grace, recently completed a ten-episode arc on Nurse Jackie and wrapped production on the feature Lovelace. The actor, repped by ICM and Framework, starred alongside Chris Rock on Broadway last year in The Motherf**er With The Hat.

R9Rbq.jpg
After a sophomore season that featured the death of a handful of series regulars, HBO's Boardwalk Empire is continuing to rebuild its ranks, with Stephen Root joining the drama.

The premium cable network announced Friday that Root will recur as Gaston Means
, a forger, swindler and murder suspect who became a Special Investigator for the United States Department of Justice under Attorney General Harry Daugherty (Christopher McDonald).

97P4Vt.jpg
Chris Caldovino (The Sopranos) has joined the cast of another HBO mob drama, Prohibition-era series Boardwalk Empire, as a recurring. The actor, repped by Momentum Talent and McGowan Management, will play
Tonino, a driver and strong arm.

5Xx1b.jpg
Arron Shiver and newcomer Meg Steedle have landed recurring roles on HBO’s prohibition-era mob drama Boardwalk Empire. Shiver will play
Dean O’Banion, based on the real-life florist-gangster of Prohibition Chicago and Al Capone’s nemesis.
Steedle will play
Billy Kent, a Broadway actress, the ‘pony,’ the third girl from the left, the quirky one you find yourself watching when your eyes are supposed to be on the star. Billy is charming, funny but also capable of breaking your heart.
Shiver, repped by Global Artists Agency and managers Eunice Lee and Tim Jordan, will next be seen in the pilot episode of A&E’s new drama series Longmire and in Gore Verbinski’s Lone Ranger. For Steedle, repped by Abrams and Principal Entertainment, this is only her second TV gig following a guest spot on Body Of Proof.

9ROpa.jpg
adGhM.jpg

Promo pics: (click to embiggen)

Posters:

Fan Posters:

Gifs:

Gw2Bu.gif
mFdB0.gif

8d1Ph.gif
wDoNl.gif

Y6uBs.gif
THcQC.gif
qjOzp.gif

Vq05p.gif
OktV2.gif
tQRme.gif
LzxF9.gif

Yes, it's a shame that there aren't better quality gifs available.

gdt

S2 man, goddamn S2. Such huge balls on these guys. Can't wait, though I'll miss him, thats for sure.

Puddles

Banned
I just got into this show. I'm midway through the first season, and I'm really digging it so far. The plan is to catch up by the Season 3 premiere, or if I can't do that, by the second or third episode.

I've heard some complaints that Steve Buscemi isn't a good lead, but I say bollocks to that. Nucky is already one of my favorite tv protagonists ever, and Buscemi does a fantastic job playing him.

I just got into this show. I'm midway through the first season, and I'm really digging it so far. The plan is to catch up by the Season 3 premiere, or if I can't do that, by the second or third episode.

I've heard some complaints that Steve Buscemi isn't a good lead, but I say bollocks to that. Nucky is already one of my favorite tv protagonists ever, and Buscemi does a fantastic job playing him.

Yeah Buscemi is great and perfect as Nucky. Marky Mark apparently wanted Alec Baldwin.

Awesome.

Lets see how many "I'm not watching cause
jimmy
got killed" chumps return for the new season.

Some highlights from the boardwalk wikia page after that episode:

If Jimmy is actually dead, I'm done watching the show. How stupid are these writers? It better be some type of dream sequence or I'm done with this show.

i just turned off hbo for good called csble before the last credits see ya

I refuse to believe that HBO would kill off the shows best character. It has to be a dream or some other explanation. I would bet Money that Jimmy will be back on the first episode of Season Two!! If not the show will have a large drop in viewers. Please post if you know whether Jimmy is really dead or not

I'm sick to my stomach, How the hell did they just kill Jimmy? This has to be a joke. No way he's dead. I will not watch it next season. Screw that

How could they Kill him? hes the main character besides nucky...who the hell is gonna watch it with him dead? stupid..unless hes just in a coma or something...but im pretty sure hes dead

I will not be watching season 3. Without Jimmy, there is no show.

It won't be the same w/ out Jimmy.I Hope some how some way he lives.I don't want to watch if hes not on.Thats lame.

20-1 this is another Bobby Ewing 'Dream Moment". Jimmy's still alive. Who lives another 30 seconds after being shot in the head?
You do know that even if they completely chop off your head it stays alive for upto 3 minutes right??

and my personal favorite...

What kind dumb ass will kill off Jimmy. Good one Steve busch

AAequal

Banned
Too bad HBO Nordic won't be out until next month :( At least I can marathon through half of the season and minimise the weekly anticipation.

Folks, no reason to spoiler tag that Jimmy is dead. It's the Season 3 thread and it happened last year. The only stuff that does need to be tagged is S3 content and information that hasn't aired yet. Obviously, be careful if you're posting about Jimmy elsewhere on GAF, but this thread is one place we can discuss without tags. I hope that helps avoid some confusion. Thanks.

dave is ok

aztek is ok

If Jimmy is actually dead, I'm done watching the show. How stupid are these writers? It better be some type of dream sequence or I'm done with this show.

I refuse to believe that HBO would kill off the shows best character. It has to be a dream or some other explanation. I would bet Money that Jimmy will be back on the first episode of Season Two!! If not the show will have a large drop in viewers. Please post if you know whether Jimmy is really dead or not

I'm sick to my stomach, How the hell did they just kill Jimmy? This has to be a joke. No way he's dead. I will not watch it next season. Screw that

How could they Kill him? hes the main character besides nucky...who the hell is gonna watch it with him dead? stupid..unless hes just in a coma or something...but im pretty sure hes dead

It won't be the same w/ out Jimmy.I Hope some how some way he lives.I don't want to watch if hes not on.Thats lame.

20-1 this is another Bobby Ewing 'Dream Moment". Jimmy's still alive. Who lives another 30 seconds after being shot in the head?
You do know that even if they completely chop off your head it stays alive for upto 3 minutes right??

He died in a trench, years back. I thought they knew that

Folks, no reason to spoiler tag that Jimmy is dead. It's the Season 3 thread and it happened last year. The only stuff that does need to be tagged is S3 content and information that hasn't aired yet. Obviously, be careful if you're posting about Jimmy elsewhere on GAF, but this thread is one place we can discuss without tags. I hope that helps avoid some confusion. Thanks.

Yeah, I wasn't going to spoiler all that stuff but I noticed Puddles' post about him being in season 1 and didn't want to spoil anything if he was still reading the thread

Yeah, I wasn't going to spoiler all that stuff but I noticed Puddles' post about him being in season 1 and didn't want to spoil anything if he was still reading the thread
I understand your concern, but he's been around enough to know the risks of reading posts in here. The situation that I want to avoid is people posting S2 and S3 content under tags where no one can tell which is which. It gets confusing quickly, so it's better to stick to the well defined rule of only tagging spoilers for things that haven't aired.

Leunam

Great OP. Really excited it's finally here.

I refuse to believe that HBO would kill off the shows best character.

But Arnold Rothstein is still alive!

Reminds me of their Facebook page after the episode where Horvitz killed Angela and her new lover. One idiot mentioned that she still doesn't think she is dead. Yeah, after two point blank shots to the head.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Van Alden had kind of a lame season last year because of the Lucy stuff.

I hope he has something better to do this year, but he still has the baby :(

The timeline also makes me think he won't have a lot going on until next season

Cannot fucking wait. I watched S1 and s2 last year.

S1 was good until maybe the last 3 eps, where it became very good. S2 continued this trend by ascending into god-tier territory.

Hope S3 will be of the same quality.

kingocfs

Ploughed through the series in August and I was really impressed with it, there are a lot of great characters.

I was as big of a Jimmy fan as the rest of 'em but that shit had to be done and I'm glad this show had enough balls to do it.

BRING IT ON.

The first season wow'd me, the second season proved they wanted to transcend a few genre staples and bring in the tragedy.

Really love the show and those involved, can't wait for the continuation. Nucky unbound is going to be interesting to watch I'm sure.

Edit: Glad to see so many AR fans, because besides Enoch, he is clearly the best character.

"Are you a family man, Mister Rothstein?"
"I am not. But I'm told they often say amusing things."

My favorite characters were probably Richard and Van Alden. Van Alden just makes me laugh every time he does anything, and Richard is a really interesting character. Those two are the ones i'm most interested in seeing developed in season 3. I didn't really care that much about Jimmy, but if Richard had died as well I would have been really sad. Also I think Richard should be the one to get revenge for Angela's murder.

Is Manny confirmed to be in this season? I liked him.
I'm not sure, though you might be able to figure it out from one of the trailers (which I haven't watched.) As I mentioned in the S2 thread, there are a number of secondary characters who may or may not reappear this season, and HBO hasn't released a confirmed cast list yet.

Puddles

Banned
Yeah Buscemi is great and perfect as Nucky. Marky Mark apparently wanted Alec Baldwin.

Wow, the show would be completely different with Baldwin playing Nucky. Baldwin is a larger man who can project more physicality than Buscemi. But one of my favorite aspects of Nucky as he's portrayed on the show is how a man so physically unassuming can be the criminal overlord of Atlantic City. He's very cerebral, and he almost feels like an underdog at all times, two qualities that would have been different with Baldwin.

Fry

Boss thread.

Can't wait to start S1. Unfortunately already know a
major character dies some point in S2

Men's Journal style feature on BE:
“The Empire’s New Clothes,” Men’s Journal sent John Midgley to Greenpoint, Brooklyn, to the set of the HBO series Boardwalk Empire. His mission? To photograph its dapper stars Vincent Piazza, Michael Stuhlberg, Michael K. Williams, and Paul Sparks in period attire.

Z9lt9.jpg

acMEm.jpg

p7tMQ.jpg

YvajR.jpg

XItYl.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Mickey Doyle >>>>> Everyone.

I'm telling you guys, this guy is going to end up the last one standing.

I'm hoping for a lot more Chalky White, hands down my favorite character. The scene with the family dinner where he meets his daughters boyfriend was fantastic.

people said the same after the first season of spartacus, they were back for the second season and the prequel. those people will be back for season 3, but only time will tell if the show takes a similarly downward turn like spartacus did.

Andrew.

Banned
If Richard kicks the bucket, especially early on like within the first three episodes or so, I'm gonna be fucking livid.

VaLiancY

people said the same after the first season of spartacus, they were back for the second season and the prequel. those people will be back for season 3, but only time will tell if the show takes a similarly downward turn like spartacus did.

Damn, I wanted to catch up on Spartacus after it got dropped on Spartacus.

GeoramA

Season 2 was excellent. Really interested in what happens with Van Alden now that he's in
Torrio/Capone territory

Andrew.

Banned
Season 2 was excellent. Really interested in what happens with Van Alden now that he's in
Torrio/Capone territory

Is that really where he wound up? Rural Chicago? I havent seen the finale or the final episodes of S2 in a really long time. Do Capone and Torrio even know who Van Alden is?

mr stroke

Cannot fucking wait. I watched S1 and s2 last year.

S1 was good until maybe the last 3 eps, where it became very good. S2 continued this trend by ascending into god-tier territory.

Hope S3 will be of the same quality.

+1

S1 was average, but S2 was so good it brought the show to another level. Can't wait until Sunday

Damn, I wanted to catch up on Spartacus after it got dropped on Spartacus.

please don't take my word as fact. watch it and judge for yourself. i didn't like the new actor who plays spartacus and felt there was too much meandering and not enough action. a lot of talk from a charisma vacuum and no characters that were as good as those in season 1 or the prequel. the show suffers greatly from certain characters absence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom