• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Train Your Dragon: The Show on Cartoon Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odoul

It's supposed to officially premier tonight. It had an hour preview a few weeks ago.

It was pretty good. As a base I thought the movie was one of the best animated movies ever made, and I think the other two Dreamcast CG series range from to good to excellent.

Nothing spectacular so far. The animation is a little better than you'd expect for television. It features a lot of the same voice cast or reasonable facsimiles.

There wasn't mush in the way of story, but they have been aswering some questions that logically extend from the ending of the first movie.

I give it a B- right now.

I watched the preview with my nephew, and we thought it was alright. Neither of us have seen the movie, though.

Also, lol at "Dreamcast CG" in the OP.

I love the Penguins of Madagascar show so I will check this out. Also loved HTTYD......one of the best CG films ever made.

Ooh how was the show? Its coming to my area in Jan and considering picking up some tickets for myself and my nephew.

It was actually pretty great. We went to see the "Walking with Dinosaurs" live show a few years ago. Both are made (put on?) by the same company. Quality stuff -- very innovative.

Be warned though, they'll take all the money you have and then some. Lots of cool HTTYD stuff for sale.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I look forward to reading more impressions. I'm always very cautious when it comes to watching animated series like this.

Odoul

Looks like it's starting to hit it's stride.

There was a string of mediocre lesson of the day episodes, but the last couple have been legitimately good to great.

Really starting flesh the world out and getting an overarching story of sorts going.
Some changes might even impact the sequel.

It's no Tron: Uprising yet.

But it's getting pretty good.

Odoul

The first season has come and gone.

And it still has more potential than it's lived up to. A solid B.

It was more about building on the characters and expanding the world. Season 2 better bring it though!

I really bumped it because I didn't want to start a new thread with no trailers or screenshots.

HtTYD 2 has been shown off to the press.

It sounds like the characters have been aged up, which is pretty awesome if true. But that was a shitty article and headline in general so that could just be unclear writing.

With Kung Fu, Dragons and Rise of The Guardians it really feels like Dreamworks wants to say fuck it and make a straight animated action cartoon.

Now that ILM is Disney's slave, I think the action movie AND PG-13 barrier is on Dreamworks to break.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Surprised this thread is so empty. Thought people loved the movie?

Anyway, I caught like two episodes, and it's actually pretty dang good. Writing is great, and it seems they received a pretty decent animation budget (unlike say, that horrendously shitty Kung Fu Panda series). Still a bit below Penguins of Madagascar (the best thing DW has created in over a decade), but very good nonetheless.

Odoul

Yeah the animation was pretty Godly for television.

I guess it wasn't so popular because there wasn't any huge developments.

It spent so much time expanding on the characters, changing dynamics from the movie, expandnding realistically from the film's ending it had no time to tell an interesting arc.

Hopefully with the way the season ended, the next has an actual season long plot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom