• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Breaking: Spore for iPhone revealed

Sean

Banned
EA showing it now. Made on new iPhone SDK in just two weeks... more details incoming :

http://live.gizmodo.com/

They’ve got all 18 levels ported, actually. No word on whether or not this will be released.

The iPhone’s demo of spore uses the accelerometer to control the motion, and it looks kind of choppy. But they built this in 2 weeks. Battery life? Bye Bye!

Officially confirmed for release in September:
The iPhone's touchscreen and tilt sensitivity is perfectly suited for SPORE and it will be available to play on iPhone in September

screens;
iphonesdka207.jpg

iphonesdka208.jpg

iphonesdka210.jpg

iphonesdka212.jpg

iphonesdka216.jpg

WoWcraft

Banned
Wow... EA is really whoring Spore to the extreme.

Way to crap your resources and really hinder the game. Or else this might be like a 2012 release if they want it to be good.

Nash said:
All 18 levels are ported actually.

However, nothing has been announced yet. That was my point. However, considering the response this will get, EA would be remiss not to develop an iPhone version in full.

pswii60

devildog820 said:
However, nothing has been announced yet. That was my point. However, considering the response this will get, EA would be remiss not to develop an iPhone version in full.
However.

minus_273

Banned
sprocket said:
ok let me askhere..

anyone know what kind of os it is running on?

a stripped down OSX called iphone OS. The underlying parts are all the same: mach microkernel, BSD networking userspace and tools. The graphics are all hardware acclerated OpenGL.

Most of the OS is open source (other than the GUI)

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
“This is not a cellphone game. This is a full console game. And we underestimated the power of the device. We had to fly in a developer to upscale the art for the iPhone.”

11:02 AM ON MAR 6 2008

B. Lam:
Supermonkey ball, obviously using the accelerometer in the iPhone. Pretty great looking. Great frame rates.

Sega redeemed!

minus_273 said:
actually it is OSX. Its only stripped down because they removed some of the abstraction GUI layers and services not used on an handheld.

I know. It's called OS X Mobile, not iphone OS.

also

"“This is not a cellphone game. This is a full console game. And we underestimated the power of the device. We had to fly in a developer to upscale the art for the iPhone.”"

minus_273 said:
iphone = Wii +DS confirmed!
Nintendo really needs multitouch + accelerometer in their next handheld, whenever that is. They've got a much stronger position and iPhone won't make a dent in that, but it's absolutely making the case that these technologies are great for handheld gaming.

GHG

So is this what the rumblings about Apple moving into the games market is all about? They were just gonna do it all on the iphone...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Finally, some good commercial games on Iphone/Itouch! I hope they let enthusiasts publish freeware games and emulators though. I want to see SCUMMVM made with official SDK.

minus_273

Banned
Nash said:
Sega redeemed!

actually when you think about it, maybe we will finally see some of those mobile japanese game come to the US, now that we have a platform that is capable of playing them.

before crisis? new resident evil? :)

Sean

Banned
"The iPod Touch is getting the same update, but there will be a nominal charge, due to accounting purposes."

I guess that answers that question. Touch gets everything too.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
but the question now is...

does the iPhone/iPod Touch compete with the PSP/DS now?

i would guess the answer is yes

woxel1

Sean said:
"The iPod Touch is getting the same update, but there will be a nominal charge, due to accounting purposes."
What? Another fucking update? Goddamnit.

Still, the games look ace :D

minus_273

Banned
woxel1 said:
What? Another fucking update? Goddamnit.

Still, the games look ace :D

because the iphone is a subscription device they can update it for "free" but in reality you are paying for it through subscription. The ipod touch is not a subscription device and they cant legally give you free software updates for it that extend functionality. Thank the new US accounting rules for that

minus_273 said:
because the iphone is a subscription device they can update it for "free" but in reality you are paying for it through subscription. The ipod touch is not a subscription device and they cant legally give you free software updates for it that extend functionality. Thank the new US accounting rules for that
I'm a bit confused by this... why can you update a Zune (those wifi features) or a PSP (Skype most recently) for added features, for free, but not an iPod touch?

Top Bottom