• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

Honestly Playstation fans should be happy. An aggressive Microsoft makes Sony even better. Sony will absolutely not be playing any games for PS5, and that's the way it should be. Competition makes it better for everybody. As much as I wanted scorpio to be a beast (and it is) because I'm an xbox fan, I also know that it's going to trigger an insane hardware response from Sony at some later point down the line. This is exciting stuff.

SpartanN92

Banned
So let me get this straight... MS creates most powerful console ever but it's not powerful enough...but they created the most powerful console ever...

thelastword

Banned
So that means Scorpio will definitely not be able to use Oculus Rift. It doesn't have enough USB ports. If we go by the exploded render from Microsoft, it also seems to be missing the front USB of Xbox One S.
Will it be compatible with PSVR though? Which is going across platforms soon..

anothertech

lol dude. We exclusively have the most powerful console ever made with no exclusives. That's exclusive to us xbox fans. :p

And that's what's getting me. The post historys tell the whole story. It's so predictable. I was wrong about it having Zen, and apparently about it being Vega (which still surprises me), and I'm not going around bitter about it. I'm going to honor a game bet I lost with chobel, and I'm using the avatar that has been picked for me cause I lost an avatar bet also. This is about fun. People are taking it way too damn serious haha.
Seriously. TBH, if anyone was expected to spew salt around here I thought it would be a few people that were hoping for Zen or Vega. But the salt is being spewed by non Xbox fans, which is just douchebaggery in my book.

badb0y

Yes they are. Having DX12 run on a hardware level on the GPU isn't done on any gpu yet. There's going to be more articles coming going deeper into the customizations to the CPU and GPU
What does "hardware level" mean?

I feel like they are tryna say "we moved more CPU things to the GPU because Jaguar too slow." But don't actually want to say it like that. We don't really need that in the PC space since you know, Intel.

Dude did you read the article stating they added Dynamic Weather to the build as well?

Screenshot is Xbox One quality settings with some additions:
Forza Motorsport. 4K, 60fps, Xbox One quality settings with 4K assets. GPU utilisation is at 66.19 per cent, meaning there's a huge amount of overhead left over for improving visuals still further. Click on the thumbnail for a higher resolution image.

PC-like ultra-settings test was a separate thing, not presented in the screenshot:
In fact, the team can push ForzaTech to the equivalent of PC's ultra-level settings and we're still sitting at 88 per cent GPU utilisation

The screenshot would show 88% if it was the ultra settings version.

Mr Git

They gotta show the package I want to see what it looks like, soon. Hopefully it manages to be small and nice looking like the one s

I'm not sure it'll be that much bigger than the S, obviously it'll be bigger, but I'm not sure it'll be a mammoth size difference i.e. the pro - they'll be going for a sleek design, but in the article they stated they kept the ports identical so those who had AV setups for the S could switch over, I'd imagine size was taken into account for that too. The vapour heatsink will make it taller, mind.

Wrong

That screenshot was Forza 6 with DYNAMIC WEATHER added and 4k assets added (textures, reflection samples, cars)

Ultra setting was for Forza Apex with all the other features listed as well.

In any case this only bodes better for the Scorpio since that means it's running 4k/60fps with additional bells and whistles and still has ample headroom.

I'm not sure it'll be that much bigger than the S, obviously it'll be bigger, but I'm not sure it'll be a mammoth size difference i.e. the pro - they'll be going for a sleek design, but in the article they stated they kept the ports identical so those who had AV setups for the S could switch over, I'd imagine size was taken into account for that too. The vapour heatsink will make it taller, mind.

qhIpUfh.png

Looks pretty close to Xbox One S size.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
This thread is very fascinating to watch. Both completely predictable and still kinda shocking.

Glad this is all finally out there though.

How does it feel to have a game journalist write an article based on your posts, and then mix you up with somebody else? I've seen so many articles written based on "NeoGAF member said so and so in a forum post." lol.

In the end gamers win. I am currently about to finish breath of the wild so I can move on to Horizon all while anticipating more Scorpio news and looking forward to crackdown 3. You don't have to fight it just let all the companies take advantage of you

Hawk269

I am shocked that some posters here are bagging on this system and the DF coverage. The system looks mighty impressive and all the tech in it is pretty impressive. Being able to port Forza 6, add in 4k textures and it running at 60-70% of the GPU load and at 4k/60fps is impressive. This is on early hardware and early SDK's and they did in a very short time. I think many look past the extra ram, ram speed and the custom things MS and AMD have made.

It is just a lot of salty people. And to think that some are calling DF a MS mouthpiece and they sold out to MS and are only reporting what they were told. It is pretty sad. Can't some of you just be happy that someone made a really great console? Is it hurting you that a MS made console seems to be pretty damn good? I just don't get it. Fucking sad really.

There are many people like myself that are very impressed and are looking forward to this, just don't see why people need to shit on other people that are happy about this thing.

badb0y

Honestly Playstation fans should be happy. An aggressive Microsoft makes Sony even better. Sony will absolutely not be playing any games for PS5, and that's the way it should be. Competition makes it better for everybody. As much as I wanted scorpio to be a beast (and it is) because I'm an xbox fan, I also know that it's going to trigger an insane hardware response from Sony at some later point down the line. This is exciting stuff.

I am going to have to disagree with that. What has been proven is console gamers are price sensitive. The PS4 at $399 smoked the Xbox One and the PS4 is beating the PS4 Pro right now. Best bet is to pack as much as you can at $399 which I believe will be the price of Scorpio.

I'm worried this console will sound like a jet engine.

The XB1 is far from a perfect console, but at least it's quite.

326GBps and 12gb ram is all i need. Its going to be so goooood. So fucking gooooood mmmmm . The downplay is making me question mental health issues since its a severely serious matter to them. Hot, cheetos and dr pepper its a meltdown! Lol

Atleast i know when the next xbox comes with zen/vega its going to be one hell of a deep sea monster thatll make me nod like jack nicholson.

If we got a underpowered zen+vega just for the name, that would have been pityful tbh. "Ohhh its a zen but really a zen alpha because its so unnderpowered, naaaag nag nag,. Oooh its vega but so under powered/clocked, nag nag nag. Lost potential nag nag naag. Lol this shit is hilarious..

Bgamer90

Banned
In the end gamers win. I am currently about to finish breath of the wild so I can move on to Horizon all while anticipating more Scorpio news and looking forward to crackdown 3.

I'm pretty much doing the same thing. Love the Switch. About to start Horizon this weekend on my Pro.

badb0y

326GBps and 12gb ram is all i need. Its going to be so goooood. So fucking gooooood mmmmm . The downplay is making me question mental health issues since its a severely serious matter to them. Hot, cheetos and dr pepper its a meltdown! Lol

Atleast i know when the next xbox comes with zen/vega its going to be one hell of a deep sea monster thatll make me nod like jack nicholson.

If we got a underpowered zen+vega just for the name, that would have been pityful tbh. "Ohhh its a zen but really a zen alpha because its so unnderpowered, naaaag nag nag,. Oooh its vega but so under powered/clocked, nag nag nag. Lost potential nag nag naag. Lol this shit is hilarious..

I don't even know what your saying here, literally any Ryzen processor would destroy the Jaguar.

farisr

"no you're the fanboy"
"no you're the fanboy"
"this never happens when they do a positive thing for that company"
"they never did a positive thing like this for that company"

lmao

Also, some real hilarious "holier than thou" posts by a certain someone who made adamant grand claims based off things they "heard from higher ups at an event"(that didn't come true). Anyone following the previous threads know who I'm referring to.

Pretty sad in general.

The hardware is good. If you like the current/upcoming xbox lineup, and want 4k, it's a no brainer.

Whether it'd be worth it for third party multiplats for the average gamer remains to be seen as pricepoint and just how big of a difference there is compared to the direct competitor comes into play there, and we won't have either of those things for a while.

rokkerkory

I am shocked that some posters here are bagging on this system and the DF coverage. The system looks mighty impressive and all the tech in it is pretty impressive. Being able to port Forza 6, add in 4k textures and it running at 60-70% of the GPU load and at 4k/60fps is impressive. This is on early hardware and early SDK's and they did in a very short time. I think many look past the extra ram, ram speed and the custom things MS and AMD have made.

It is just a lot of salty people. And to think that some are calling DF a MS mouthpiece and they sold out to MS and are only reporting what they were told. It is pretty sad. Can't some of you just be happy that someone made a really great console? Is it hurting you that a MS made console seems to be pretty damn good? I just don't get it. Fucking sad really.

There are many people like myself that are very impressed and are looking forward to this, just don't see why people need to shit on other people that are happy about this thing.

You are way too logical right now!

Metfanant

Actually, I haven't at all. I don't go around shitting on other consoles and their games out of a dislike for the company or their console. I support what I like, and don't go shit up other threads just because it's about something I'm not a fan of. You and others can keep up that talking point that somehow I do this kind of stuff, but it still won't be true. I see people getting mad as hell only because Scorpio looks impressive and DF was impressed with it? Jesus.. lol.
Nah, your brand of blind fanboyism has its own special ability to shit up threads with nonsense

farisr

Can someone please dumb it down for me, what exactly is the power difference between the Scorpio and PS4 Pro?
More than the difference between XB1 and PS4. How much that difference translates to real world third party games, we won't really find out till they actually come out on it. It could be way more, or it could be less as well, really depends on just how easy it is for devs to optimize for either system and how much effort they put into it.

About 40%

Significant. More of a gap than PS4 and XBO.
More than the difference between XB1 and PS4. How much more and how that translates to real world third party games, we won't really find out till they actually come out on it.
40-50ish% better? That said, we need more real world examples to draw better conclusions.

thank you

Kssio_Aug

If you're happy to be bamboozled by FUD from Microsoft, that's your business. Don't expect everyone else to blindly accept their misrepresentations of the technology. Xbox is supposedly in a new era of respect under Phil Spencer, but this article is straight from the Mattrick era playbook of media manipulation and obfuscation.

Mattrick is the guy that will talk shit in front of your face. Phil is the guy that pretends he's your friend but talk shit about you behind your back. Who would you rather have?

Some posts in this thread are so ridiculous that they're actually quite funny to read.

giphy.gif

*You're

DF may have been impressed, but mostly because they have a poor underlying knowledge of GPU hardware. Anyone can google "command processor" and "execute indirect" and find information about Xbox One games from years ago being made using technology supposedly only just added to the Scorpio. The fact that Leadbetter failed to do so is just an indictment on his journalistic acumen.

This is either a tryhard troll

Or one of the most idiotic post in this whole Scorpio discussion.

Tripolygon

Banned
I love my Pro, but the Scorpio sounds like much more has been done to it than just increased tflops.
Indeed. I'd like to believe it too but I've heard about the promises of DirecX before so I'll wait for the games before buying into this secret sauce/to the metal business again.
I have read this article twice and the only things that stand out to me are

1. Delta color compression which is part of GCN 1.2
2. Improved GPU command processor to natively support high-level DX12 instructions.
3. Customised jaguar CPU

The first two being a fairly standard improvement in GCN architecture, second lacks details to know exactly what functions they are talking about, and the third being standard PR statement. The Xbox One has a customised jaguar, as does PS4/Pro.

Thats not to say Digital Foundry wont have more articles giving more details on more features. But strictly going by the above articles, you are wrong in getting the impression that Scorpio has more done than PS4 Pro. PS4 Pro actually has AMD Vega features.

Digital Foundry article on PS4 Pro enhancements over PS4.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1297359

The price would be the barrier not the size because we are getting Ryzen CPUs at 65 watt TDPs right now.

Wouldnt the size of a zen+vega apu be bigger than the jag+polaris? I seen someone post die sizes and it seems ms aimed for a certain size for cost reasons. 360mm right?

Yup, there is no special customization and no secret sauce. When it comes to companies making noteworthy hardware customizations in the console space, that usually comes from Sony as they are a hardware company.

In this thread, we already have people claiming that the Scorpio is more powerful than the gtx 1080, lol. It's been really embarrassing coverage from digital foundry. Let Microsoft advertise their products by themselves. What we don't need is df trying to pass a paid ad as fact. I can't till the die shots come out from chip works.

Look, the Scorpio looks to be a fantastic piece of kit for a mid gen upgrade but it's just an rx480 and an overclocked jaguar. It's not more powerful than a 1080 or 1070 and once third party games drop, it'll be clear for everyone to see.

All I've seen today is the same pr nonsense we've seen with other consoles. Fp16, huma, power of the cloud, dx12 patch, and now it's a special dx12 co processor which is just a regular command processor. It's just sad and annoying.

When did they say it was as powerful? They didnt.

They did say that the console punches above its weight class, which is believable.

Top Bottom